Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Am I completely alone in liking the english title a lot? This isn't a show about titans attacking, but attacking titans, and I like that the show is named after the hope side of hope/despair filp flop it's got going on. It's a little vague about if titan is a place or a thing, but once you see any panel of the manga or clip from the show with the titans in it things are cleared up (unless you read way too much into it like some nerds tend to do). Also, that kind of wrongness generally serves to make it more memorable.

Another benefit of naming the show after attacking titans: with just seeing the titans and knowing the name of the show you already know that those titans are going down, which gives you a reason to read even when it looks like that's never going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

It's about the dream of attacking Titans.

And it's also about dreams being ground into a fine powder under the weight of cruel reality.

This, basically. That there is a sliver of hope offered in attacking the titans is what makes this shonen instead of unreadable negativity.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

I also really hope this isn't some horseshit conspiracy about why humanity needs a common foe and the Giants were made to force everyone come together. Or at least if there is the characters rightly call the people out for being bat-loving-insane pretentious assholes.

Earlier in the story this origin for the titans was brought up, only to be immediately dismissed as some kind of pleasant fairy tale, as it's very clear that even with the titan threat humanity hasn't come together. I believe that was the writer winking at the audience and saying "nope, I'm not going to make a twist that terrible".

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

I do hope you're right Mr. Nikolai Satan sir. But still, between the giants in the walls; Sasquatch Titan; Eren's father; Annie; the new smaller Titans that may or may not be local residents; and now the Child Soldier Titans it makes me wonder how the gently caress all of it could be tied together in any cohesive way.

I don't think it is going to be tied together! Anything that could connect everything at this point would be really unsatisfying, IMHO. I'd rather the story stay big, mysterious, and frightening rather than tied up in a neat little bow, and I think that's what Hajime is going for. As long as the character motivations are believable, and reading it expresses something interesting, the story is on the right track.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Post from the anime thread:

Popehoist posted:

Look at these cocky assholes. I hope they're the first to get eaten by Titans.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Autumncomet posted:

We have to wait for season 2 to bring it up though. :qq:

The anime is getting 25 eps, so I think they might actually get to where the manga is right now.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Popehoist posted:

To be fair they looked equally rear end in a top hat-ish in the same manga scene as well.

Way to spoil my dreams.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

coreycoryecorey posted:

I hope they show Mikasa's origin story soon so all the people in the anime thread stop calling her a "Mary Sue."

That's next episode according to the preview. And guess what? They are still going to hate her! "What kind of child can kill a dude like that so unrealistic" or something.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

of bees posted:

Another reason they might be doing that is because the Church knows about the titans in the walls, and the soldiers in the inner area are meant to be the last line of defense against those titans if they suddenly wake up.

This implies a level of compitance that the inner circle has never seemed capable to exhibit.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rei_ posted:

The anime is taking it's god drat sweet time.

I know, isn't it wonderful? :swoon:

Mikasa's backstory in the manga seemed really weird to me when I read it, but having that story take up such a huge chunk of this episode makes the way it connects to everything else much clearer. And yea, even though there were so many stills, it was really good TV.

Yes, we're not much farther in the story than we were since the last ep, but who cares when the episodes themselves are so good?

devtesla fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 12, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

j4on posted:

I forgot about all that. It really *is* weird, and seems really important somehow. Does this somehow explain his burning spirit? Notably, the dream is left out of the anime.. perhaps it has something to do with the ending.

Actually, the dream is in the Anime. Instead of a shot of Mikasa, it's some blink and you'll miss it shots of titans eating people, walking over a landscape that first didn't have titans, and like some other assorted things that don't really make sense, at least yet. One of the shots is a blurred version of the scene where a titan picks up Erin's mom.

Umm guys he was having some kind of prophetic dream :stare:

Now, I trust Hajime enough at this point that it's either going to be really cool when this comes up explicitly, or they're going to just drop the whole idea if it ends up terrible.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 13, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AradoBalanga posted:

So...what's the over-under on the anime thread going full-blown supernova next week (assuming next week is the big reveal from chapter 9)? Or for that matter, the rest of the internet?

It's not going to be that big a deal, most of the thread already figured out who it is. Just by being video the show makes the hints that were in the manga a whole lot clearer, which is fine by me. The story is exciting enough without surprise twist! moments.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 19, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

One thing that never made sense about the 3D gear is the grappling hooks. How are they propelled fast enough to pierce into concrete(or whatever materials the castles/buildings are made of) and even the super-hardened walls? And if they're in there well enough that they can support a human, how do they get them out afterwards?

Who gives a poo poo?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Teabiscuit posted:

Thanks Ixion Saga.

Is this show any good?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It'll be more surprising if he doesn't light the match.

It's confirmed, Erin will not be lighting the match.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

http://rinatan.tumblr.com/post/67296342276

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Merry xmas.