Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
I'm glad that nobody else has put all the pieces together, and I get to lay claim to the first complete formulation of the upcoming reveal. This is on the level of Berthold and Reiner, two largely upstanding people in an impossible to handle situation, being the direct cause of the worst event to befall humanity since the appearance of the titans. Right up to the level of foreshadowing, actually. So, if you don't want to risk the big volume 16 reveal being spoiled tread carefully. Mostly I'm posting this so within four months or so I can look back and see how I called things.

The injection that Grisha gave his son is a red herring, and it only has a connection to the titanification process because Grisha wishes to be merciful to his son. The injection's primary purpose is to suppress the formation of memories during the real process.

The reason Eren can become a titan is because Grisha forced him to eat Historia's half-sister, the only legitimate child of Lord Reiss.

The secret, based upon the bloodlines of the center's elite irrespective of a person's social status, that the central government must remain in power to protect is that the catalyst for creating human titans exists in the bloodlines of the nobility. Any violent upheaval of the social order carries the risk that those people who can catalyze the creation of titans will be lost track of, easy prey for those who know the secret or at risk of spreading the trait to a wide section of the population in all three walls.

This is why Rod Reiss arrived to bring his mistress and Historia to his home to protect them. This is the reason that the Central MP felt there was a threat to Lord Reiss's life, and why they killed Historia's mother and forced Historia into exile. The Central MP could not risk the political instability that a recognized, but unknown, heir would bring.

This is why the central government has continually sought Eren. Because it is obvious to them that Eren, the boy who can "mysteriously" transform into a titan and son of the prime suspect of a royal kidnapping, gained his powers through cannibalism. The entire time Lord Reiss has known that Eren gained his strength and reputation by eating Rod's daughter. Every time the scout regiment performed an operation the losses have been high, secrets have been revealed, and little has been gained for it besides a delay in questioning Eren and Erwin's word that it served to prevent humanity's extinction. Surely, by now Lord Reiss's advisers are convinced that everything in the last 5 years has been part of a premeditated coup.

How damning the evidence must appear. The scouting legion performing an expedition the day the walls were breached. The abduction of royalty during the chaos as the news spread. The attack on Trost, during which the scouting legion is on an expedition, the day before the southern cadets join any regiments. During which Eren Jaeger reveals his titan-power, two fanatically loyal bodyguards, and is instrumental in securing the district. The following trial, for which records indicating Eren and Mikasa's unusual competency in killing at age 9 are revealed. Where Levi makes the insinuation that an enraged titan Eren isn't going to attack the scout regiment even after a severe beating. A reasonable compromise is offered by Erwin, which results in a short operation with catastrophic losses and no gain to speak of. When Eren and Erwin are summoned to explain what happened, they give the appearance of cooperation but actually launch an operation. This operation "reveals" that Annie, one of Eren's closest classmates and the only one to join the MP, was actually a titan and enemy to humanity. A hole is torn in the wall where anyone could see the titan inside, significant civilian losses are incurred, a church ceremony of the wall cult is crushed, and the only gains were that Annie was "captured" and "humanity was saved" again. But Annie is in a totally unbreakable crystal, no information can be gained from her, she's going to be kept "captive" at the scout regiment's HQ, and Erwin "reassures" his superiors that he and his scout regiment will root out the threat to humanity that hidden titans like her represent. A deacon of the wall cult disappears into the scout regiment's protection. Oh, also Historia, illegitimate daughter of Lord Reiss, is a member of the scout regiment. But as soon as MP starts inquiring about her they get stonewalled.

And yet, despite all this the Central MP have taken great care to transport both Eren and Historia, physically unharmed, directly to Rod Reiss. This is where the mystery eludes me. I suspect that even after all this, Reiss wants to know the truth of why his daughter died. Reiss wants to know if Eren really was complicit in all this, or if he was just a child soldier thrust into a situation nobody should envy. Because the possibility that his advisers are wrong and that humanity really is under attack by an outside faction is too dangerous to ignore.

My suspicion is that, unfortunately for Eren, the last experiment with his powers showed that the memories of that night where he ate Rod's daughter are in his head. He couldn't handle them the last time they surfaced. And now he's in the clutches of a man who likely has the power to reveal those memories. And Eren's going to be questioned alongside Historia who once had a sister that loved Historia, and an unhappy life ruined further by her sister's death. Which is Grisha's fault, but Grisha is not here and his son may make a convenient scape goat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Ok, I'm trying to respond to only a couple ideas at once, so that if I must type lots of uninteresting words they're at least uninteresting words about a topic someone is interested in.

Squidster posted:

Your conjecture is based on a character that has never been introduced. Who would be Historia's half-sister? We have no reason to believe a person like that exists in this manga.

Do you mean memory-erasing girl? If so, she's been interacting with Eren vastly earlier than she got eaten in this hypothetical timeline. His ability to kill muggers as a kid is also not related to eating members of the royal family, as that mysterious injection didn't happen until after the wall fall. It is vastly more likely that the Memory-wiper girl is a rogue member of the royal family. I expect that it will be later revealed the Memory-wiper has been continuously interacting with the cast throughout the manga, but skipping out of their memories every time.

Eren ate Grisha, who carried a titan-coordinate in his body. Grisha is the missing key, and I strongly expect he came from outside the walls. He's from Reiner's village, and the reason they attacked the city was to bring his body back to the outside faction.

Lord Weiss has ensured Krista is well-treated because he is not 100% a dick. He has been shown to be sentimental in the two brief times we've met him, and he's ensured Eren is well-treated because, in both scenes we've met him, he is also a pragmatist.

Yes, Historia's half-sister is the memory-erasing girl. From Eren's memory as her, we can deduce that she's upper class. The furnishings visible in the mirror are much nicer than any others we've seen. Eren clearly mentions a visual resemblance to Historia. From Historia's memory we learn that the mysterious girl spent enough time with Historia to teach Historia how to read; that the mystery girl had access to books depicting titans, and was greatly affected by Historia's opinion of her. There's a lot suggesting that mystery girl knows the secrets of the wall cult, and the only family that has been mentioned to be worthy of those secrets is the Reiss family and other unnamed families. It's possible that she's from some other noble house, but there's additional circumstantial evidence suggesting Historia had a half-sibling.

In chapter 52, the day that Lord Reiss tried to enter young Historia's life is very peculiar. It's specifically mentioned being several days after the fall of Wall Maria, but news of Wall Maria's fall was established as spreading to all the major cities within hours. From this we can infer that the reason Lord Reiss tried to protect Historia wasn't, specifically, the fall of Wall Maria. The same night that Rod Reiss tries to protect Historia a death squad shows up to kill her and her mother. So we can infer that some specific event was the motivation for both groups to intervene. Lord Reiss, the actual king, seemingly lacks the authority to make the death squad stand down completely, but an acceptable compromise is to disown Historia. I conclude that the reason is because Historia suddenly and unexpectedly became the most legitimate heir to the throne. For that to happen, there had to be a more legitimate heir until shortly after the fall of Wall Maria.

As far as Eren eating her Grisha did something to Eren, or forced Eren to do something, that gave Eren the titan-power. Eren was supposed to learn how to use that power from their memories (if anyone knows Japanese and can confirm if their is supposed to be plural or singular with unspecified gender I'd be curious). Eren ends up having memories from the perspective of the mysterious girl. It seems more likely to me that he gained those memories from the as yet unused hint dropped back in chapter 10 than a until recently unhinted ability to add memories with no cost. (Also why the hell would memory-erasing girl give a teenage boy her memories of grooming in front of a mirror? Because :japan: doesn't fit with the rest of the series.) And if Eren's memories of mystery girl are from his titan powers it fits with the timeline that mystery girl was eaten shortly after the wall fell and possibly before Historia's mother was killed.

The final bit of evidence is from narrative structure, and is why Eren and Historia being transported directly to Reiss is so wierd. If whatever Lord Reiss is after doesn't involve both of them, why wouldn't he meet with them one a time? I wasn't trying to suggest he was a brute. But it's a weird narrative that he would try to reconcile with Historia while Eren is in the room, unless their simultaneous reaction to the same reveal is going to be important. It could have been the hug, but I suspect there's a bigger reveal to come when Rod Reiss starts explaining things. And "Historia, Eren ate your sister who was the only one who loved you" is a hell of a reveal when Eren and Historia are in the same room.

Krinkle posted:

I can't really follow this but if he ate the memory erasing lady then who erased his memories of doing that?

The injection Grisha gave Eren is explicitly stated to cause memory loss. That's the only thing that is directly attributed to the injection, but without any other evidence the hypothesis was that the memory loss was a side effect and the real purpose of the injection was to make Eren a titan. But we have the conversation between Berthold, Reiner, and Ymir to suggest that the way to gain titan powers is to eat the right people.