Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

thegodofchuck posted:

Finally caught up with the thread. Unless this is a poor translation, I don't understand why there is any confusion over Ymir eating a (titan?)-human causing her to regain sentience/transformation (from the last release):
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/47/6
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/47/7

(Paraphrasing)
Bottom of page 6: She ate Berik, right?
Top of page 7: But, precisely because of that her position is obvious. She was able to become human again.

It's not so clear-cut if you include the full text of what Bert says. To my eyes, he brings up Berik as a reason not to trust Ymir, as an example of how dangerous she is. Can we trust her -> She could kill us -> And isn't she the one who killed our friend?

(The full exchange)
Bert: Reiner... Do you really trust Ymir? Her titan is small, but incredibly fast. If we don't restrain her properly, she could probably defeat us in an instant. ...... Actually... she... ate Berik, didn't she?

Reiner: Exactly. But... precisely because of that, her position is obvious. She was finally able to become human again, she must have just wanted to play her cards right and live, right? Until she met Christa... She met someone she considered more important than herself... enough to go flying into a swarm of titans for her sake.

The latter part of Ernie's lines are pretty clear as answering Bert's question of trust. When she became human she just wanted to stay in hiding and live -> Until she met Christa and was willing to risk her life for her -> So we can trust her because we both want Christa safe.

That tricky first part though, I'll give you that it could turn out just as you say. Another interpretation: Yes she's the one who killed him -> But because of that she had to go into hiding or she'd be killed -> Christa etc.

This is a lot of analysis for a few lines, but unless I'm mistaken it's what the whole theory stands on, so it's worth looking at closely. My verdict: I don't know, and I don't think we're supposed to know yet. This'll only be settled in future chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
:aaa:

I don't usually read raws but no way I could wait for the translation.

No other series makes me as tense with every page. Anything can happen in Attack on Titan.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Hodgepodge posted:

Regarding the population within the wall being "descendants if demons,"

"Descendants of demons" was a rough translation of Bert swearing at Armin. Let's not spin any theories off that.

http://readms.com/r/attack_on_titan/49/2046/34

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
beaten :argh:

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Wonderful Bread posted:

Do most people take this show seriously, or is it more of a "Pacific Rim" type of anime?

The Attack on Titan anime thread is over here, if you didn't mean to ask the manga thread.

Do read the manga, it's awesome.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

icantfindaname posted:

so what's in the basement?

a scrapbook with the Colonel's secret mix of eleven herbs and spices

Titan Original Recipe

Captain Invictus posted:

Imagine if they mass produced the 3d gear and equipped the soldiers with rifles or grenade launchers.

The people inside the walls wouldn't need titans to conquer the world. They've already got superior technology to anyone else.

3d gear does have its limitations, esp. outside urban areas

but it is interesting to think about how it might match up with the outside world's period tech

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 14, 2016

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
beware Isayama's cannibal agenda

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
The truth is always in the middle.
~ Abraham Lincoln

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
This is an unexpected turn of events, but a welcome change of pace.

Did we skip ahead? Or is this the past? I can't tell from the translation.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Mangastream translation is out

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Did everyone miss where they said it was nearly impossible for the faster titans to be hit in the nape of the neck with the anti-titan cannon? Out of an abundance of caution they decided not to take that risk, but it's hardly the case that the titans are now obsolete. They're still a tremendous asset. See the end of the chapter.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
A Google image search says Universal Studios Japan.

EDIT: Here's a travel blog to Universal Studios Japan which has more pictures and information on the Attack on Titan theme stuff.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Good stuff this chapter, if a bit low-key. Let's hear it for Our Man Floch, the only named Eldian who understands what this war is really about and what the ordinary people deserve to know about it.

Also, surprisingly good points from Gabi about the sins we carry from our forefathers, and how some transgressions simply are too great to ever, ever be atoned for, much less forgiven, even generations later.

As a thoroughly indoctrinated child soldier, Gabi repeats Marley's propaganda of ancestral sin with conviction, but I didn't find myself persuaded, nor do I think we're meant to. When confronted with the actual suffering of Kaya and Kaya's mother, Gabi ultimately wasn't able to justify it.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

goddamn :suspense:

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
With only 16 episodes I don't see any way around a lot of material from the manga getting cut. Best case scenario is for the anime to hold up as its own thing despite that.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
wow... the rumbling has reduced industrial pollution and littering... nature is healing, maybe we were the titans

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
You know who's great?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
The usual scanlation team just dropped their version of the new chapter.

Glad I waited. That was pretty great.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
if I were Isayama I would simply have the characters VOTE to end the violence

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
and then he woke up! it had all been PATHS

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
lol

Guess it’s time to stop watching this thread till the quality scanlation’s out

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It's out on comixology and you can get it for free by signing up for a trial of comixology unlimited.

Hey thanks, I'll finally get the chance to see what all the fuss is about. It can't be that bad-

Eren... really was the coolest guy?

Ok. I know this has already been litigated over the past week, but... yeah. That final chapter... simply makes no sense. It doesn't feel true to the series at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
hearing some rumblings on twitter about the additional pages that will be in the final volume... and they sound extremely funny