Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
You know thinking back, Eren still managed to place 5th among the trainees, despite one of the only things he was exceptionally good at being hand to combat. Something that is not measured when deciding the rankings.

Now this could just be what it appears to be. Eren managed to succeed through sheer determination, even in-spite of his apparent lack of natural talent. But given this series reputation for foreshadowing, and love of subverting shonen tropes an clichés ...

Now look at who's above him:
Annie
Bertholdt
Reiner
Mikasa

As far as we know so far only one of the top five is a baseline human.

And then there's stuff like Eren managing to stay upright for a short time even though his Full-Body-Belt was sabotaged.

Am I just making something out of nothing and over analysing things with meta knowledge?
I mean I suppose that you could take him only reaching 5th place is a subversion in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Gyges posted:

Out of curiosity, is the Anime still on pace to appear to kill the main protagonist in episode 4, or are they doing less than one chapter per episode?

With the current pacing it looks like episode 4 will end with the graduation/2nd colossus attack and episode 5 will have the delicious protagonist munching. :unsmigghh:

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

^^ This

The whole situation at the tower is very much outside the norm because Titans usually go inactive within 3 hours of the sun setting. The fact that they were besieged pretty much the whole night is a cause for alarm. Also the large beast like titan exhibited a lot of animal traits like fur and eyes that glow in the dark similar to animals. This might mean that if the unidentified titan is from outside the wall he may be a more refined form of titan that does not have the same limitations as the current titans. He may also have used the people from Coney's village to create new titans of the same model as he is. Which could be a problem if he plans to take the remaining human settlements because we will have fewer advantages over the already daunting titan forces.

Another possibility is that the Hairy-Titan was simply preventing them from going into 'sleep mode' somehow. He certainly seemed to believe that he had some level of control over them and allot of those titans appeared to be unusually energetic.

Titans going inactive after 3 hours without light may just be some sort of instinctual power-saving to prevent them from draining themselves to death when in the dark.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

ActionZero posted:

I'm not sure if the best part about this show is watching it or watching the reactions in the anime thread. There's someone complaining about "The Colossal Titan just kinda teleports in. One frame not there, next frame PEEKABOO!" which is almost exactly what I thought when I read that scene in chapter 4.

The best part is going to be next week. Assuming they don't switch events around at all, Erin is going to appear to be unceremoniously and with little warning killed off about half way through the episode. We're then going to have about 3 or 4 episodes until the reveal/confirmation of Erin-titan's identity, where it appears as if Mikasa is the new protagonist. :allears:

Pensive fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 28, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Eiba posted:

I love that the end credits is so Mikasa centered.

The lyrics to the end credits song are pretty amazing too (assuming this translation is correct):

"Your dream is where your heart seeks comfort
It is more fragile than your life
You can abandon it, yet always find it again
Now, sleep in peace
My pulsing rage
Defiles the wish I harbour
Before I forget them
Only to remember once more
In this beautiful and cruel world
We keep on asking ourselves
Why was it we who survived
What will we protect

With our strength and our weakness
If reason and logic hold true no longer."

Pensive fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 28, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Gyges posted:

Kind of hope they put that in there with chapter 8 stuff so Eren is still dead. It makes it look like Rivaille is Eren 2.0, the new protagonist coming to team up with Mikasa and kick some rear end.

I could see them doing this, but with chapter 7 rather than 8. It would allow them to pad out episode 7 without breaking continuity, so that the Renegade Titan would remain an end of episode cliffhanger. The next episode preview looks like their going to do all of 'The World through a little girls eyes' and they still have the entire chapter before it to go through.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Grei Skuring posted:

As soon as we get to see him, I suppose. The hair/eyes makes it quite apparent.

Well there is Mr.Glasgow (the Erin lookalike you see when the titans start coming in the gate), the animé made him a bit more noticeable than the manga did.

Unfortunately we probably won't get many people falling for that red herring because a production error appears to have given him the wrong hair colour (he was blonde in his close-up but it went back to the correct black in the aerial shot).

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I don't know if this was already discussed in this thread, but here's some speculation:

I'm not convinced of reproduction via eating being a thing. It's made clear early on that they know what happens to people who get eaten, and turning into Titans isn't the answer.

I suppose you could make the argument that they are wrong, but one of the districts spent several days cover in regurgitated corpses. You'd think someone would notice something strange.

The presence of the hairy Titan and what happened to Connies village really clash with this theory too.

However Titans are made, it's a process that invokes very little bloodshed, and can happen very fast.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
I don't think the problem is catching titans. Annie proved that. The problem is moving them somewhere you can take the time to study them.

Most titans who where captured in the past (if any) likely had to be left out in the wild after a limited time, and studying them under pressure at that.

The stuff they used to restrict those two titans didn't seem to be too mobile.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 14, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Regardless of whether or not they have any real super-attributes, we know in the very least that they have a nerfed version of their Titan-Regen when in human form. That alone would allow them to pull off some pretty crazy stuff that would result in serious injury for a baseline.

Also as I've said before, the fact that all of the human titans are in the top ten (except Ymir who intentional underperformed to let Historia in) might be a sign of something to this effect.

Of course it's not the only explanation and there's really no enough to go on so far to state anything definitively. I guess finding out for sure if there really is anything up with Mikasa, or if she simply is just that bad-rear end will be one of the deciding factors.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 20, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
I actually think that there is a possibility the injection Eren was given may not have anything at all to do with his titan powers. I think Eren may have known allot more about what's going on at some point and the purpose of the injection was to scramble his memories for some reason.

I recall that during the flashback to it happening Eren's father mentions that the injection will make him forget things. After that he gives the "their memories will help you" line. Eren having his memory messed with to some extent could also account for those weird flashes he gets occasionally.

What if that girl from the dream at the start who looks like Mikasa isn't her at all, but rather someone else he used he used to know? Those tears could be him remembering the last time he saw her. But then he wakes up and forgets all about it again.

I'm not really sure where I was going with this...

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

This thread's reminded me that I still haven't watched Cromartie High School. Is it as awesome and bizarre as it looks?

Yes. Yes it is.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
^^^ Thankfully it seems that we may be getting some answers soon though. With Reiner and co stuck up in those trees while they recover at least some talking has to get done. Bert also didn't take Historia with him, and since Hanji is too injured to join the pursuit I expect some questioning to be happening on her end at some point too. Whether or not Historia actually knows anything though is anybody's guess right now ...

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
I'm thinking about posting this in the animé thread. Should I? or has the damage already been done and we should all just drop this and agree to remain silent in the future?

::

Me posted:

Davincie posted:

So can a manga person come in to confirm that he is a dumbass or what? Or would that spoil even more by confirming it :shrug:

The agreement we've come to in the manga thread is not to comment on any spoilers that are posted from now on, regardless of if there's any truth in them because doing so will likely unintentionally lead to more. So just keep watching the show so that we can keep pointing and laughing at how right/wrong your speculation is.

At the very least I think we need something that makes it clear that that best way for manga readers to deal with spoilers being posted is not to talk about them, and make the animé watchers aware that our silence is not confirmation or denial in and of itself.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Gyges posted:

Other than Eren, does Bertholdt ever actually interact with anyone other then Reiner?

I think there's a few scenes where he answer a question people ask him, but I can't remember a single instance with him doing anything else that didn't also involve Reiner.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

After your post prompted me to look back at that chapter (I remembered Marco died, but after watching the anime episodes and realizing he survived the Battle of Trost I forgot when), I noticed that page 24 has Annie looking at a dead soldier and saying "I'm sorry" while looking shocked. This seems kinda strange, since she seems to have no qualms with slaughtering folks as a titan.

Well Eren has shown that they don't really think strait in titan-form. Though the others probably have much more control over it. It' possible she was either on some sort of titan serum high or just as likely she was trying to reinforce her whole "I'm a bad person" act. Annie's way of dealing with all of the terrible stuff she does is by reminding herself that she's some unredeemable monster who's unworthy of being saved, but there's a few scenes that seem to imply that it probably is just an act.

I guess we'll be able to infer more about her, and if there's any truth to what I'm suggesting, when Bert and Ernie start talking.

Edit: or what Cthulhuchan said.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Red Terror posted:

Speaking of walls, I am curious on the condition of outermost Wall Maria. Since the reveal that live titans are used for mortar perhaps the titans dissembled the wall to release the trapped titans.

The survey corps have been making expeditions to the outer walls for the last 5 years. The one wall titan that we've seen so far also happened to be a colossal-class. If something like that was going on I think that someone would have noticed. Then again, that is allot of wall and it's not like they can just send someone to ride around it like they did with the fake breach.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 8, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Isayama is the best. Didn't anyone learn anything from when he was asked to draw "Mikasa in a bikini" for the front cover of a magazine? Knowing what was asked for makes seeing buffed up MMA fighter Mikasa standing next to generic waifish animé girl crack me up every time.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

About that-- I figure people default to the "Southern country accent" because most translations are done by Americans. I just wonder what'd it be like if most translators were British? What kind of accent would they use? Chav-speak? Geordie accents?

West Country.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

That was my first thought, too; "a bit of ooh-arr country". But that's not actually the Osakan stereotype, is it? It's more of the "fast-talking, rude, money-canny" sort than "bumpkin", right? So, Cockney, or Scottish?

I am now imagining Connie referring to Sasha as "tha' tattie wifey".

Ah, I thought we where just talking about Sasha specifically.

Apparently the modern stereotype for the Osakan dialect rose from it's use by prominent comedians and now their viewed as sort of loud and boisterous with a tone that's both melodic and harsh. I think a south Wales accent would work well for that.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 27, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Schubalts posted:

They did get two vampires to 'join' the main team, later.

Who promptly vanished off the face of planet after one or two missions, with no explanation whatsoever.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
So with the implied revelation in this chapter, it think it may have partially confirmed a theory I had.

The girl Eren was dreaming about at the start is someone from outside the wall. Possibly either his real mother or some other sort of family; The scarf he gave to Mikasa is originally hers. Either Eren himself or his parents are from outside the wall and what Dr.Jager injected him with just awakened powers he already had. Mr and Mrs Jager may or may not be his real parents, and one or both are also possibly originally from outside the wall.

Of course that hinges on what Reiner implies about him being correct, for all we know Eren is something completely different.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Jackard posted:

Also isn't the blonde hair of the female titan going to be a big giveaway?

They could make it white like Reiner. I'm not sure though, Christa also has blonde hair and I don't remember her showing up during Annie's rampage either. These kinda things can also seem allot more obvious in hind-sight than what a person going in blind would see.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Gyges posted:

And if anything happens to Christa then Ymir goes off the reservation too.

But something may have happened to her already :ohdear:

I hope the lack of blood around Ymir's mouth afterwards is a good sign.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

I refuse to believe that an area the size of Germany was anywhere even close to maxed out, supporting a population of a million.

Something that needs to be considered is that they have only been inhabiting this area for 106 years. At most their original population is going to have doubled and the infrastructure in place is going to be built for supporting that number. Regardless of how much space you have, dumping 200,000 extra people into a place intended to support 400,000 is not going to end well.

I'm not sure if this the way the author intended for us to take it though. I think the size of walls/population of humans is one of the things he thought through the implications of the least. The walls all around feel like they should be shorter than they are stated to be. I think he probably just decided on the length of the walls and the number of people separately, then forgot to reconcile those numbers afterwards.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

of bees posted:

Take it over to the manga thread so we can see what it is.

I think I was getting ahead of myself when I said that. I can't find much information about it because no one seems to be interested in translating them.

The second and third volumes are apparently about the "mysterious origins and life of a boy named Kyukuro/Cyclo (named after the Cyclops apparently) and his struggle to be accepted by the townspeople after being found as a baby in the remains of a titan". However the page for that character on the fan-wiki (which is the only place I can find any other information about him) says that he was born from the corpse of a woman in some titan vomit.

When I saw the first part I was thinking that it confirmed that being in titan form de-ages you. The boy could have regained control of themselves like Ymir did but being younger had much more damage to their memory. The second part makes me doubt this though because having confirmed (if deceased) parents kind of negates the implication of him being a former titan.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 19, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Edit: Is Levi really over 30? :psyduck: I had him pegged for around 22 or so. Hanji I figured was definitely older but holy poo poo does his age throw me off.

If I remember correctly, Isayama's answer to being asked Levi's age in an interview went something like: "I haven't really decided yet, but if I had to say right now I think he should be about 28".

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

EDIT: by the way, why they changed "Rivaille" to "Levi"?

Because those are both the same name and Levi is the correct spelling (he's apparently based on someone from Jesus Camp called Levi).

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Assuming that the higher concentration of titans outside the outermost walls makes overnight travel impractical, then the coast only needs to be abut 30Km away to be unreachable. That would also put it well over the horizon. If multi-day expeditions are a thing that happened before Sina fell however, then this becomes much more unreasonable.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Missing Name posted:

Some of the rogues are probably smart enough to even stroke. But where is there a significant body of water? The canals in the city don't count.

There's a large lake/inland sea inside the innermost wall, but we're talking about the ocean they crossed to get to the walls.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

From the anime thread:

Does anyone know who he's referring to/can link the page with this?

I can't remember the page or chapter, but it's when Ymir and Reiner are talking in castle Utgrad.

Ymir: Oh its you, Reiner. What are you doing, sneaking up girls in the middle of the night with lewd intentions?
Reiner: What a suprise I didn't think I looked the kind of guy who was interested in girls. By the way, I don't think your the kind of women whose interested in boys either.
Ymir: Oh really :smug:

Reiner making jokes about marrying Christa and what was revealed about him recently of course complicates matters. Right now I think it's possible that the "soldier" is strait (as part of his self deception) and the "warrior" is not.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 6, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Zassiliss posted:

I thought it was confirmed as a mistranslation, since that part of the speech bubble didn't connect to Reiner, implying that it was Ymir who said it.

Using google translate my totally real multilingual skills, the other translations on batodo seem to agree with the English version, all four agree that Reiner is talking. The Portuguese and Spanish seem to say pretty much the same thing as the English, though interestingly the Italian version seems to agree with Vincent and the Turkish goes the other way (though I wouldn't put much stake in that, google doesn't seem to be very good at Turkish).

'course I could just be talking out of my rear end. Someone who has the raws and knows Japanese or the official translation (which I don't think is this far yet) could probably solve this...

Pensive fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 6, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

I'd give you good odds that those other translations are translations of the English script, not the raw. But, anyway, this is the page in question.

Yeah, I suspected that as a possibility too. It would be considerably easier to find Europeans who can translate from English than from Japanese.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Unless there are a bunch of pages missing from the end of that, I think it's safe to say those are fake. It reads like joke speculation for the next chapter. And who the hell is Jazz? I don't remember anyone who wears a mask.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not sure who is actually delivering that line in this chapter about Eren being annoying rear end in a top hat.

It's Jean, he's the only character there who it would make sense to be saying something like that. It's playing off how much they hated each-other during training.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Live action Eva may have slim chance of getting resurrected now, with the success of pacific rim. IIRC it actually got to the pre-production phase in late 2008/early 2009. They had a script, sponsors and where going to announce a director and everything. But then it fell back into development hell when ADV collapsed.

I don't think that SnK would really work in live action though. The 3D gear presents a massive challenge to the special effects team to make it work without massively straining on my suspension of disbelief. I'm willing to give it a pass in the comic/show because cartoon physics, but live action (outside of specific circumstance) operates on different rules. Maybe I just haven't seen enough over the top action movies to have a concept of how something like this might be done :shrug:.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Hannes not dying is practically a running gag by now. Hell one of his first scenes is him setting him self up for a heroic sacrifice and then turning around and running away with the children instead.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

AndroidHub posted:

Does it bug anybody else that Annie's crystallization powers in the anime are shown as white/blue? I always imagined it as more of a yellow/amber color, or at least something closer to fleshtone than blue.

Yes. I imagined it as looking allot like Reiner's armour, but slightly translucent, and at a few points (when she armours the back of her neck) I thought she was just just making her skin thicker/denser rather than covering it in crystal like it's depicted in the animé.

The way it's being depicted gives it much more of an impression that it's something unique Annie can do rather that it possibly being a skill that any titan can learn. Wether that's intentional or not is anybodies guess until we learn more about the titans themselves.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 1, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

(Carefully tiptoeing around spoilers :ohdear:)

I'm rereading the Castle Utgard and aftermath arc here during my lunch break, and I see that most of the 104th squad was being held after Eren's trial under the suspicion that there might be more Titans among them. Most of them that is, except for our main trio and Jean. I can see why our main three are trusted, but I really can't find or think of an explanation as to why they trust Jean of all people to not be a Titan. Yeah he's their friend but so was Annie!

Do we actually know anything about Jean's past yet? Maybe Levi or someone-else knows something about him that we don't yet, and that disqualifies him from suspicion?

Although thinking about it, just consider the people that they did have in holding:

-Historia is under an assumed name and likely has a fake past.
-Ymir has no past.
-Connie and Sasha are from remote country villages, just like Annie claimed to be. Also, Sasha is a runaway with no contact with her family.
-Bert and Ernie claim to be from the same place as Annie.

All of them have something suspicious about them, but does Jean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Simstim posted:

Except the Sasquatch climbed over the wall and Annie was in the middle of doing it when she got caught.

I think Reiner also did it off screen when Bert knocked everyone out.