Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Hmmm... If Jaws Titan and Dancing Titan are one and the same, doesn't this mean that we're still missing one Titan Shifter? Eren x2, Armin, Annie, Reiner, Gaillard, Zeke, however the gently caress you spell the new girl's name, only add up to eight, and we know that there should be nine.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I'm reading the thread from the beginning and there are some real nuggets of gold in there. Like a guy figuring out that eating a shifter allows a titan to regain their humanity way back around chapter 47 and pretty much all responses to his post shout it down as a dumb idea with no proof :allears:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Hahahahaha, at one point someone posted a quick translation of the chinese raws for chapter 49. A guy or two catch onto Bertold calling the people inside the walls (or, specifically survey corps chasing them) descendants of demons after Armin bullshits him about Annie being tortured, start makng some theories from there and get berated for reading too much into a fan translaton. Some fourty chapters later we learn about Marley and Eldians.

Really, the most hilarious thing to me isn't how wrong people's theories were at the time because that's a given. It's how many people either came close to the truth or reasoned it out entirely correctly and were completely ignored.

Nooooo, Eren couldn't have eaten his dad when he first transformed, that'd be dumb:laffo:

E: Analysing some of the post, what derailed a lot of the speculation from the right track and straight into a wall was that can of herring in the Utgard Castle.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 8, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

How many times did I post saying dumb stuff, because I think I was firmly in the camp of "Christ you people make too many theories".

Consider me schooled.

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, I too was one of the guys who would make fun of people who made theories off of small stuff. Guess I'm the jackass in the end.

I'm only on page 136 of the thread (early October 2013), and I don't recall many posts from either of you until that point, but since you were both kind enough to paint big targets on your backs I'll make sure to quote you here if I find anything good.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Raws are out, not sure since when.
Not much seems to be happening yet, the Eldian soldiers, including the Warrior candidates, return to their ghetto and meet up with their families. Reiner's eating dinner together with Gabi's family for some reason. The long-haired guy with the armband on the wrong arm we're suspecting to be Eren is now missing his left leg and seems to have mixed in among the crippled soldiers. The last third or so of the chapter is Reiner having an extended flashback to his childhood and his training as a child-soldier-slash-mass-murderer.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Gabi seems awfully proud of her war crime, doesn't she?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Kassad posted:

The way I see it, she's a child soldier who's been told her entire life that it's her glorious duty to fight for Marley so that her people are one day allowed to get out of the ghettos. Besides, she did it so that the officers wouldn't send the rest of the Eldian troops to get mowed down by machine guns.

It's still probably going to earn a child trying to surrender a bullet to the forhead somewhere down the line.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

It's been so long that I completely forgot but where did Eren get the Coordinate power? Is it part of the Attack Titan suite or did he eat another shifter besides his father? Did his father already hold both?

Also, if it's possible for a person to have more than one titan power wouldn't it quickly devolve into a "there can be only one" situation?

His father ate Frieda Reiss who was in possession of the Progenitor Titan, and thus the Coordinate, at the time, and when Eren ate him he inherited both it and the Attack Titan. At this point it is unknown if there is any limit to how many titans' powers one person can hold at once.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Saw this post in the anime thread:

Kytrarewn posted:

Given that the commands aren't verbal, but rather some sort of ESP thing, my best guess is that they knew instinctively knew there was a coordinate, and followed some sort of draw to make their way to him. Look at the number of times they wound up coincidentally showing up exactly where Eren happened to be (this includes Ymir). The town where he grew up, joining the same military training corps, showing up at the gate at Trost directly in front of Eren, Annie showing up in the same refugee camp as Eren/Mikasa/Armin in episode 2 or whenever it was, etc.
and stopped myself mid-answer. Would it be a spoiler to tell him that the reason why the warriors attacked the same town Eren happened to grow up in is perfectly mundane, without going into any detaills?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Part of the raw chapter is out. Honestly, so far it seems like not much of interest happens in this one. Judging by the quick translations the only semi-interesting revelation is that Reiner only got the armoured titan because Marcel, trying to keep his younger brother safe, somehow sabotaged Porco's efforts so that he didn't get the serum.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 4, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

This chapter wasn't the big turn we might have been hoping for, but it's giving us more context on the relationship between the Marley and the non-Paradise Eldians and is locking in the end game. Specifically, the existence of Teiber family shows that the Eldian condition in Marley is more complicated that we first thought, and the meeting scene gives us more insight into Zeke and his plans for the Eldians.

I also think the chapter supports my general theory that there are clans of Eldians that have specific affinities to specific Titans, likely due to them being descendants of the original 9 titan power carriers.

It has also shown that the universe exists solely to crush Reiner's self-esteem any time he manages to build up any.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Raws are out. Only Korean ones are complete though, so it looks like translations will be a tad late. As far as can be gleaned from visuals alone:

More flashback at the start, this time to the military training. Meanwhile, in present, Reiner's depressed enough that he almost eats his gun. I wonder if that would even work on a shifter. Eren under cover as a cripple is back and gives Falco a letter that the latter throws into the mailbox. The Magath guy visits the Tybur family, looks like we're getting some insight into them.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Korean raws are out.

Looks like poo poo's about to hit the fan, but we'll have to wait till next month. Most of this chapter is the calm before the storm

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
And now the full translation is out

Sub Harrison posted:

Nothing happens. See you next month

We do actually get some new information here. The most important one seems to be that Eren was exchanging correspondence with Zeke via Falco. Also, Reiner might be an irredeemable monster for his actions but he's the best uncle.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Don't we still not know who the Warhammer titan is? I thought they mentioned that they don't let people outside the family know.

I think that Vili/Billie (man, I really hope it's the former) guy implied it was him? Something about having seen history with his own eyes? And this is kinda tenuous, but his hand shaking might imply that he's approaching the end of his tenure?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

My boy Eren is so hosed up, I love him. But you know who I really want to see, now that our old protagonist is a bone-chilling monster?

I really don't think Eren's done nearly enough to warrant being called a monster yet, especially when he's in the same room as Reiner "committed one genocide and attempted another" Braun. Like, I get that we've been getting a pretty sympathetic perspective on the guy for the last few chapters, but it doesn't change the fact that he's guilty of the single most heinous crime in the entire manga, and that's an achievement. Like, Eren could transform right at this moment and kill all those unsuspecting people in the building above him and it would still be absolutely miniscule compared to what breaking the wall meant for the people within them.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 7, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

I also think that Eren reaching out to Reiner makes a ton of sense. One of the big themes of the new arc seems to be how generational conflicts persist, and how well meaning people can be turned into monsters by their societies and ideologies. To me, both Reiner and Eren are prisoners of this conflict and at this point both of them want it to end without more bloodshed. Reiner's committed terrible acts without question, but I think him being offered a chance to end the conflict is far more satisfying than him getting killed for destroying the walls. RBA were children manipulated into committing a genocide, Himmler and Speer they are not - and even before the time skip, the full weight of what he'd done seems to have started settling on Reiner, remember this?

Pretty sure that's Reiner starting down a different path from the path the Reiner we saw in the flashbacks was on.

I'm not sure I wholy buy the "manipulated children" angle. Wall Maria maybe, but by the time they decided to breach wall Rosa they've lived among the Walldians for five years, had ample time to see that the propaganda they've been fed was bullshit and had perfect understanding of the consequences of breaking the second wall would have.

For what it's worth I also hope he aids Eren but I think that the most satisfying outcome would be him dying ingloriously midway through (none of the heroic sacrifice or achieving victor with his dying breath bullshit) or surviving only to live out his short remaining days alone, shunned b everone and miserable. True, he could be worse, but IMO he's still far enough into the complete monster town that an kind of redemption is completely outside of his reach.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 7, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Even well adjusted teenagers that grow up in safe and nurturing environments often don't fully understand the consequences of their actions.

Except they've lived for a year among the refugees and IIRC were taught over the course of their military training about what the conseuences of another wall falling would be.

And just to clarify, it's not like I want Reiner to suffer more - I''m not that sadistic. I just don't think that he deserves to suffer any less- he's currently doing the perfect job of punishing himself to the exact extent he deserves.There's no need to pile anthing more on (although I suspect the manga won't be that kind) but any sort of ending where he's redeemed or forgives himself would feel cheep to me.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 7, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Squidster posted:

We know that Titan-shifters have greatly reduced lives, but my suspicion is that the more Titan powers you have, the shorter your lifespan. This would prevent anyone from controlling all of them for more than a year or two.

Grisha was in the thirteenth year of his tenure when he had Eren eat him, so your theory doesn't fly.

Manatee Cannon posted:

eren would have died by now if you had a shorter lifespan from multiple titan powers. remember that he's had both the attack and founding titan for just as long as reiner's had the armor titan

Actually, Eren got his power two years later than Marley's shifters.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So... The leaks are coming through. Nothing concrete yet, barely two pages of the raw and a synopsis from a guy who's seena couple more.

There is already some interesting stuff in there, though. First and foremost, remember how we've been wondering if over those four years Eren has perhaps learned how to chill out a bit? Well, this chapter answers that question with a resounding LOL, NOPE, Eren transforms right loving there in the basement and smashes the stage. Falco's and Reiner's fate is currently unknown.

E: Korean raws are out.

HOLY gently caress, EREN. So, the Willy guy probably wasn't the WH titan, because he's now very dead, as are a lot of people who were above Eren when he cool-aid manned out of that builing. And the debris is falling onto the audience at pretty high velocities. Eren's not making any friends right now, that's for sure.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 6, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
The first translations are in(typeset in progress) and they seem to be putting what's happening in new light. Seems to me like Eren might be setting himself up as the fall guy. Now that Billy has declared him to be the one true enemy , once he's gone Marley loses their justification for invading Paradis. Or something.

Like I wrote, typeset in progress. The rest of the translation is in the reddit thread.
VVVVVVVVVVVV

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 6, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
One thing that came up in a conversation with my pal: we know that to use the Coordinate Eren needs to be touch a titanized direct descendant of Ymir. When it was revealed folks here were discussing a possibility of Historia becoming a shifter but now that we're on the other side of the sea, doesn't there happen to be someone of royal lineage who already is one? Now the uestion is: would there be any immediate advantage to activating Eren's power?We know it doesn't work on shifters, and I don't imagine Marley has any mindless titans just standing around.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

tiistai posted:

The wires seem to be coming from their hands this time so I guess their guns double as hookshots or something.

That's the same technology Kenny and his crew were using, remember?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

That was pretty baller.

Is the War Hammer Titan the first one that can speak? (Or did Monkey also speak, I can't remember)

Beast, Cart and Ymir's version of Jaw Titan could all speak at least to some degree.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Exactly where I'm going with this. The wall titans could now be an offensive force, assuming for some wild reason they tore down the walls in the past five years.

They'd still need Coordinate to control them. So unless they've managed to turn Historia into a shifter they probably aren't anywhere near the mainland.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Viridiant posted:

I'd just like to say that after the timeskip character development I'm pretty happy that Reiner wasn't killed back during their last encounter on Paradis. It was frustrating at the time but I like his character so much more now that it really paid off in spades.

Yeah, he wouldn't have suffered nearly enough if he just bit it there relatively pain-free :kheldragar:.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

I loved this reaction shot when they're on the tower:

Note Bert's hand. This is one of those scenes people would come back to a couple of chapters/episodes later and be all "HOLY gently caress HOW DID I NOT NOTICE THAT!?"

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
:tviv:This chapter owned on so many levels :aaa: Most of what I could say already has been said by others, but man, Willie and Magath's plan to MMGA is off to a smashing start, isn't it? Two of their titans lost, with perhaps the most powerful one falling into the hands (or rather jaws, pun fully intended) of their greatest enemy, the commander of their titan corps is dead in the best case scenario and working with the enemy unbeknownst to them in the worst, almost entire top brass of their military went splat, what I presume to be a non-insignificant part of their navy got Armin'd, the power behind the throne was decapitated, and it turns out that Eldians might not be as alone as it seemed.

The one positive for them I can think of is that Gaillard can now fully sympathize with Pieck's and Reiner's PTSD, cause holy crap, I don't think anyone in this manga has ever eaten as much poo poo as he has. Can you imagine how much it has to sting knowing that the absolutely only, solitary reason that you're still alive is that your enemy has put using you as a means to taking what might be the greatest asset available to your country for himself over ending your sorry life there and then? I kind of hope that the next time Eren pops up he ends up immediately owning Gaillard using WHT's power, just to drive the point home.

On the other hand, I am now almost ready to admit that Reiner's suffered enough and that he might deserve a break now. Still only almost and only might, mind.

Also, the look on WHT's face right before she went CRACK was priceless. Isayama might not be the best artist out there but drat if his expressions aren't brilliant.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Kild posted:

If Eren doesn't want her to just die why would he impregnate her, if anything Zeke would be more likely just to have a stronger royal bloodline since they're both royal muts :puke:

Zeke wasn't on the island and they couldn't be sure when he was going to make it over

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Man, they've rearranged a shitton so far. Technically they've covered lot of ground in this episode (first scene is from chapter 51, last is from the end of 57, but they've also cut out about two chapter's worth from in between. Not sure how I feel about it, a lot of the skipped scenes feel like they'll be really hard to slot back in in a manner that doesn't feel disjointed. Already I feel that without Historia's flashback Kenny's entrance loses some impact.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Ccs posted:

I'm catching up on this series and they say that the walls are made of millions of titans. Where did they get all those titans? How many millions got exiled to the Island and then willfully transformed to be made into walls? Seems a bit odd.

I'm not sure why you assume those people transformed willingly.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Man, the leaks are LAAAAAAATE this month.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

If Reiner is predestined to be eaten by Falco (or Gabi) because he had a future-memory, does that mean that he, Pieck and probably Porco are about to bust into the restaurant right now?

Also I don't give a gently caress about what happens to the world. All that matters to me is that by the time this is over, Historia eats Porco and inherits Jaws so that she and Ymir can be together in some form.

Wait, what future memory?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Asuron posted:

So after all that, what the hell does Eren want to do. Because there’s no way he believes in Zeke’s plan, it goes against everything he’s said and done so far

I'm not sure Eren knows Zeke's actual plan. Actually, let me rephrase that: Zeke almost certainly thinks Eren doesn't know it. Whether he's right should become apparent very soon, gut feeling is telling me he's not.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I'm starting to wonder where they intend to end this season. Chapter 90 is the only logical break point, but three episodes in, they've already animated over six of the remaining 18 chapters.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yes but soldiers being able to drink instant coffee has implications about the outside world. But it seems anime posters didn't notice it.

They haven't made note of it because it doesn't reveal anything new. The anime had already shown Ymir's flashback which pretty much explicitly confirms the existence of a larger civilisation outside the walls (this is also why I consider said move a bad decision). I'm a bit apprehensive that even the basement reveal won't have quite the impact it had in the manga because of that.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

He's been making GBS threads up the thread all year. He also "theorized" Grisha and Zeke could be related during season 2 when it wasn't even clear Monkey Trouble was human.

Zeke (although mostly in silhouette) is shown sticking out of the Beast Titan in the at the end of season 2. Still, his "predictions" are definitely too on the nose.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Well most services have censored their emojis so that the gun emoji is a green water gun so you’ll be fine.

Edit:
Dammit, I really wish the current season OP didn't have a flash of the photo of Dina. People in the anime thread are openly wondering about it and seemingly get that it's a photograph. I thought it was really cool how at the end of the last ED where it has an old-timey film grain filter. Did people in the anime thread catch on to that? I know nobody made a big fuss about the coffee a few weeks ago, or way back in season 2 with the "wait what a monkey?" bit.

Look at who's doing the "speculation"

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Crimpolioni posted:

I've kinda lost track of what's been in the anime and when, but has this been shown yet?

It sure as gently caress hasn't and if anyone still believes he's anime-only, lol at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

RatHat posted:

Since she can harden too maybe the female titan is a jack of all trades sort of deal.

Remember, the Beast titan could harden too, Levi just din't give Zeke enough time in their first encounter. Annie was probably given the armoured titan serum, more or less the same way as Eren was.