Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I know it's from two pages ago, but that is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyges posted:

I really hope that the magic SHAZAM! lightning bolt theory for the Colossal Titan becomes the accepted theory in the anime thread.
I will laugh if that theory does turn out to be true for a Titan down the road. I will laugh even further if the magic phrase is actually "chocolate egg cream".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyges posted:

Of course not. He'll rage yell while the Queen Titan beats the living poo poo out of him, only to be saved by a Mikasa/Rivaille double attack which Armin planned out to maximize Eren's impotent berserker rage.
So...you're saying that Armin is the long-lost ancestor of David Xanatos?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyges posted:

This is bullshit, man. Eren would never listen. Berthold is just going to have to Titanfy and sit on the squirming and biting Eren Titan while Reiner has a conversation with Ymir.
That would be one of the most unintentionally hilarious sequences ever. I second wanting to see this.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So...what's the over-under on the anime thread going full-blown supernova next week (assuming next week is the big reveal from chapter 9)? Or for that matter, the rest of the internet?

Rei_ posted:

One thing I found kind of interesting was how they rendered the Titan regeneration. It definitely looks very...mystical? Like weaving wires of multicoloured energy rebuilding the arm, it definitely doesn't look biological. But they mention the Titans subsisting off of sunlight so maybe their translucent skin kinda glitters like that when it's in loose strands because it's meant to absorb and look I'm thinking too hard about this it's just weird okay.
I too also liked the Titan regeneration. Like you said, it looked mystical in nature and not natural. It was a good balance between sci-fi and horror-suspense.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, I found out why the anime's soundtrack has been awesome.

It's being done by Hiroyuki Sawano. The guy behind Gundam Unicorn's equally awesome soundtrack.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Zeikier posted:

This prompted me to do a very stupid picture:

Eren stop almost looking like Kamiyama, jesus.

(also, couldn't decide on who would be funnier as Kamiyama between Bert and Eren and so many characters could have filled different roles)
Well, now you know what needs to come next: Freddy Titan.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'm wondering how they'll avoid a second battle with Eren against Reiner/Bertholt. I don't see how they'll be able to keep him calm enough to actually listen to them and not immediately flip out.
Well, remember that Eren's personal driving force is COMPLETE GLOBAL EXTINCTION of Titans, so that gives Reiner and Bertholt avenues of dialogue that can convince Eren to not flip his poo poo and have him hear them out. Will Eren still be irrational and angry? Oh hell yes. If Eren manages to remain calm during all of this, either something was said by Reiner/Bertholt to shut him up....or he's quietly planning his next mass murder by luring his targets into a false sense of security. My money will be on the latter, for the record.

Plus, Eren's probably weakened from his previous transformation, meaning he's not going to transform immediately. Then there's the fact that Ymir is also there, meaning she can play the "keep Eren under control" role while letting Reiner and Bertholt talk.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Zeikier posted:

OHMYFUCKIN'...gently caress!

The Attack on Titan anime is in my head. Should I get it out or leave it in?
You think you're going crazy? I'm the one who (jokingly) made the suggestion! They're listening to us....I need to protect my neck now.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm just going to step back slowly....and pretend I understand this image.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

What's this "eoten" joke? Did I miss something? It is no Japanese or English word.
Some of the fansubs for the anime use it for the word "Kyojin". Because it's Germanic in origin and the setting references German stuff.

Even though the official localization from Kodansha USA of the manga has "Kyojin" written out as "Titan".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

....I'd play it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Azzents posted:

It works for Eren though since he has no filter. He staring these mass murderers in the face and he certainly wouldn't try to censor what he thinks.
Plus, Eren's personality shows that he has no restraint when it comes to just about anything in life, be it saving a friend from human traffickers or simply talking to people around him. I swear if he was a drill sergeant, he'd have the vocabulary of R. Lee Ermy's character from Full Metal Jacket.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Nah, Eren's basically drill sergeant's unapproachable avatar of anger act but he's not acting.
Hence why I specified "vocabulary". Eren could swear up a storm, say things that no one even understands, and top it all off by explaining to his superiors what a reach-around is.

Hell, I'm genuinely amazed I haven't seen Red Lantern Eren fanart yet.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

of bees posted:

Change of topic here, but remember earlier when we were talking about making a game with the 3D movement gear as a feature? Someone made a Minecraft mod that does just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNvYk9oWYfw
I am very impressed by that. Not surprised that it was done in Minecraft, to be fair. Mostly because Minecraft gives ample resources to both create the gear and test it out as well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Not sure why the artist added in Gaius from Fire Emblem Awakening, but...I'll let it pass.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Besides the orangutan aren't all the titans around the same age?
Ymir's age is unknown, unless I missed that part. So, she could be around the same age as the rest of the 104th, or a little older. She definitely looks to be one of the older characters in the series.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Soulcleaver posted:

The only acceptable anime-only endings are "Titans eat everybody" and "Eren kills every drat titan in the world".
So....an Ideon ending then?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, the OST for the anime is out. This is one of the track names (track 11 from the sample list posted a while ago): Female Titan~Exterminate

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure blind and deaf man could have called that being in the anime. I doubt they're going to get much past that, though.
I was more pointing out the OST spoiling a plot point with a track name. But yeah, I figured Titan-Annie was going to be in the anime. Like you said, what happens afterwards is up in the air.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

The sky is blue, the sun rises in the east, sets in the west and supplementary materials spoil poo poo.
Yeah, I remembered that Gundam Unicorn's first OST spoiled the reveal with Audrey with one of its tracks right after I posted. Derp.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

For the longest time, I've always wondered if Titan powers did more than just limb regeneration. Ymir just spelled out that there is more to them, specifically with aging. She's at least 60 years older than she looks, yet Ymir physically looks about between 20-25 years old (give or take; based on my personal guessing). But, she's only recently been able to regain her human form again. Now, bear with me on this train for a sec. Given that her true age is unknown, I almost want to say that Ymir may be a survivor of that first encounter with the Titans roughly a hundred years ago, and she got turned into a Titan via whatever means. But, she looks nothing like someone who should be about 125-130 years old. So, she's either regenerated her body back to her early 20s or being stuck in Titan form caused Ymir to regress in age when she finally regained her human form again all thanks to becoming a Titan.

Also, Reiner, take some advice from the readers. Sleep with one eye open. For like, forever. Unless you want to experience a live torture session with Eren "I'm 0.3 seconds away from becoming a Red Lantern" Jaeger.

Soulcleaver posted:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/47/6

What the hell is happening with Reiner's body in the bottom right panel?
Looks to be a case of awkward art design, from my perspective.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

In non-manga news related to this series, I want this game like yesterday.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SANJOU, KYOJIN TOKUSENTAI!

Rather amazed at how well they match up with their DBZ counterparts, in all honesty.

Soulcleaver posted:

I hope Isayama never, never, ever explains the origins of the titans. I'm sure he could come up with something cool but there's nothing that could be as rad as the mystery.
I'll admit, I feel the same way. The only way for Isayama to explain Titan origins is to do it in such a unconventional manner, much like how Reiner and Bert revealed themselves. Granted, with the mystery explained, it'd take a little away from the whole atmosphere the Titans embody. Let's just hope it's not a silly bullshit cop-out type of reveal, should it ever happen. That's the last thing I want to see in this manga.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Autumncomet posted:

Bert will never not be the most hilarious character.

Ymir has been named in the anime thread before but no one has gotten suspicious about her lack of a last name, probably thanks to characters like Erwin and Levi that are surnameless but pretty important. Honestly, at this point, she's just like Bert, best known for being the best bud of a more prominent character.
Erwin has a last name, Smith. Levi, however, doesn't have a last name.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, there's one thing the anime thread hasn't figured out yet: Annie essentially murdered Marco in order to create an alibi for the deaths of the captured Titans. That revelation will probably hit some people hard, especially since the anime has built up Marco's death as a case of "not everyone dies with fanfare, some people die alone".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Elotana posted:

Was that definitively stated somewhere that she killed him? I thought she just took his 3DMG
I think it was assumed (by Levi and others) that Marco was half-eaten by Annie in order to not damage his 3DMG completely, since Marco's corpse was found without his gear.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cross-posting some stuff I found from the anime thread.

AradoBalanga posted:

On a slightly different topic,

Images for an upcoming webgame based on the series. I've had no real luck tracking down further information on it, sadly. The outfits alone give me the impression it's going to be either some fantasy-inspired game, or a weird alternate universe game. Or these images are just simple alternate outfits for characters that you can unlock/buy in-game/will be DLC.

There's also a 3DS game coming out as well from Chunsoft. Haven't been able to find out any information on the 3DS game beyond who's making it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Elotana posted:

I actually want it to smash-cut to black right here

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c034/10.html

Where the eye of the wall-titan focuses on Mikasa. Perfect ending
I second this motion. If only for all of the trolling connotations and shock value of the scene.

As for the chapter, I'm amazed at for all of the death flags that Hannes has thrown into the air, he's still alive. I have a feeling that it won't be Ervin to be the one who "stains his hands with blood", it's Hannes who will do that, resulting his death as well. As for the end of the chapter, Ervin might just be the most insane member of the Recon Corps. He just puts on the best poker face as well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

The latest of Isayama's fake preview splashes:

Titan!Armin's face....I swear I've seen it somewhere before. This is going to bug me for a while.

Christa the Angel Titan made me laugh the most. Yes, more than Connie's Titan form being the same size as Connie is normally.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

PowFu posted:

I've read (somewhere on the internet) that Erwin Smith was modeled from Ozymandias in Watchmen as well.
You know, now that you mention it, I do see the resemblance (if that is true). Especially to the actor who played Ozymandias in the live action film.

Given how Watchmen turns out....this makes me wonder if Erwin's got a giant squid monster waiting in the wings to unleash on the human populace. Or if said squid monster is what's hidden in the basement, and Erwin wants to use it for his own purposes.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Another one of Isayama's fake previews.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

These are wonderful and I demand you post more of them.
Other than the "Everyone is a Titan" one, that's all I could find. Sorry.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cross-posting some new information on the webgame I mentioned a few days ago from the anime thread.

AradoBalanga posted:

Got some more information on the webgame I mentioned a few days ago. You can actually join the closed beta through NicoNico Douga (for the NicoNico version; seems like there will be different versions). The beta starts on August 20th and there are a few prizes for joining early.

Some screens showing off the interface, which looks like a...card game/RPGish game? I like Sasha's outfit, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Level Slide posted:

https://twitter.com/DennysDiner/status/368019461053247488

I wasn't expecting Denny's of all places to tap into that sweet Titan money.
That, or the Denny's employee in charge of their Twitter account is a fan of the series.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MustelaFuro posted:

I can't seem to find any production photos of the live action film. Have they even started filming it yet?
Stalled due to disputes over script and who will be the director.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Elotana posted:

Chapter 49 raws are out.

Irwin continues his push for Hardest Motherfucker by cutting off his own arm to escape a Titan and free Eren: http://www.onemanga.me/shingeki_no_kyojin/49/32/

Also the ending features a special guest from way back in Episode 1, and I'm not talking about Hannes: http://www.onemanga.me/shingeki_no_kyojin/49/43/

I cannot wait for the translations. This is going to be GOOD.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

rvm posted:

Armin is definitely the MVP of this chapter.

Finding just the right words to throw your enemies off balance in the middle of a hellish battle (while, as a bonus, also confirming that Armored, Colossal and Female are comrades, which, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't 100% clear yet), he's a clutch player for the Recon Corps.

Armin's probably the one who benefited the most from his Trost experience. He's learned to perform under pressure, to put it mildly.

I went back and looked at the chapter, and that smile from Armin just as he comes up with the "Annie plan" was amazing. Isayama likes to put big character developments in small panels as opposed to large splash pages (which he uses more for action sequences), and that smile from Armin is exactly one of those. Were this Armin at the start of the series, it'd be a shocked or "aha!" kind of reaction from Armin. Present Armin, on the other hand, immediately smiles upon coming up with the idea of using Annie as a ploy to stop Bert and Reiner. Sure, the smile was probably intended as more of a "I got it!" kind of reaction, but given how much Armin has grown over time, that smile says a lot about the cowardly little kid we first met long ago.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

yellowyams posted:

Anyway, in an effort to steer this away from anime discussion, I'm surprised no one posted these Isayama illustrations when they were floating around (or at least I didn't see it):

Eren and Jean's Comedy Duet is wonderful. So is Sasha's rock band.
Also this \/

Schubalts posted:

I would read the hell out of Titans Babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

From the anime thread:

I've love to see his reaction when Mikasa peels off a piece of the wall and sees that Titan's eye staring back at her.
I'm waiting for that scene to drop as well. It'll be like this for non-manga readers:

Don't disappoint me, anime staff. Do. Not. Disappoint.