Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

MechaX posted:

Wait a minute

so Armin and Zeke were able to talk no jutsu Bert and the others to flipping... but if all of those titans on the spine were Warhammer defense mechanisms, who is exactly controlling the ones that are still fighting the alliance even after Zeke dies? And why could they only flip those shifter recreations, even Eren Kruger (at least I think one of them is Kruger) whom technically neither Zeke nor Armin have met before? It just seems odd that if they could flip shifters neither have met, why wouldn't they just... stop every titan on the spine

hatty posted:

This is why I don't buy the Ymir changed her mind theory, she could flip all of the titans if she wanted but the warhammers are still hacking away. I really don't understand why Kruger is there, Grisha wants to help Zeke sure, but Kruger doesn't know any of these people and none of them know him. Seems strange

Armin and Zeke don't know Kruger, but Kruger has seen at least some of Eren's memories and mentioned Armin by name when talking to Grisha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

The Notorious ZSB posted:

That is the impression I had. I don't see how his claim could possibly be true otherwise. If it's only what we're literally shown on the pages, the rumbling barely got going. So his statement is either an obvious lie or a bunch of the rumbling happened off screen. I've been assuming that most of it has been happening off screen and we're seeing a fraction of a percent of it on the page.

I think you're really overestimating how many wall titans there were. It's more likely they dispersed in groups to attack specific areas before moving on to the next settlement. If they just spread radially like that there'd be a huge distance between each titan pretty quickly.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Schwarzwald posted:

??? As far as we're shown, the Ymir's descendants have been literal slaves of the aristocracy since day one.

Like YF-23 just pointed out, the aristocrats secretly ruling Marley were descendants of Ymir.

Which looks really bad when Eldians literally are forced to wear armbands identifying them. Sure the author isn't western and likely doesn't grasp how hosed up that is, but it's definitely a problem with the work. And combined with the ending being pretty incoherent regarding genocide, it leaves room for a pro-holocaust reading of the series.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you're illiterate, sure

Not sure how you can have a reading of any sort if you're illiterate, please try to have your dismissive white noise posting at least make any sense at all

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

GimmickMan posted:

In paper, yes. In practice... pro-holocaust readings of media do not happen in a vacuum. Do you think anyone who gets "this is why the gas chambers were good" of any piece of media isn't already a massive chud? Like that's a real question I'm posing to y'all here. When people use AoT to make lovely comparisons about the real world, which do you think takes precedence: That the person is fascist, or that AoT is fascist?

Sure, anyone who goes "this is why the gas chambers were good" is already a nazi. Having a rich not-Jewish family secretly rule over not-Germany is still hosed up. Referencing antisemitic conspiracy theories (and not in a clearly critical way) is bad, especially in a work that has genocide as a major plot point and a really muddled message regarding genocide.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Do these other readers exist outside Conspiratiorist's head though

also

Conspiratiorist posted:

I think the ending is more than fine

seriously?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Unfortunately, manga and anime series aren't actually sapient. Also, the series is over, and can no longer explain themselves better.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

GimmickMan posted:

If the author is well and truly dead and we have to go by only the text, then:

If the author is only dead for the sake of fascists appropriating the work, then we might as well all agree that MLP, Gundam and Dune are all fascist.

Are we discussing the work itself or people's interpretations of the work? Because if we're talking about the latter, then all people must be acknowledged, not just the ones who are convenient to your own argument, which includes both anti-fascist readings as well as the author's own.

What's the author's own reading? I didn't know he's made any statements on that.

And I don't think anyone was denying that some people have anti-fascist readings of the text?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Prowler posted:

People mostly just hunger to have their expectations defied. They don't necessarily need to be defied in a good or unique way, just enough that it "keeps you guessing." This often turns into doing things just for the shock value rather than whether or not it serves the story in a meaningful way, if it fits the established characterization, etc.

How do you shock people the most? Unexpected or brutal murder. See: Game of Thrones season 1. How do you top that? Even more unexpected murder (Red Wedding). So, then, how do you top that? etc.

Both of those examples both fit the established characterization and served the story, though.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Sub Harrison posted:

The biggest problem with AoT's ending is the Mikasa-Ymir relation. If there were one or two more chapters to expand their parallels with eachother it would be a fine ending, and I'm hoping the anime addresses this.

That said, it's way too harsh to compare AoT to GoT's ending. AoT has a sloppy ending but GoT never have one. GRRM putting book 6 on indefinite hiatus and the tv series having the white walkers die with no purpose shows he hasn't even considered how the story could possibly end. Season 8's failure is popularly attributed to D&D, but the real problem is their show's ending is based on books that will never exist. GRRM hasn't given a loving thought to ASOIAF since A Dance with Dragons. He wrote himself into a hole after killing off everybody in A Storm of Swords, then floundered with introducing new characters in the incredibly boring A Feast for Crows. He ended A Dance with Dragons with the long-awaited war about to begin and some small appetizers of how Bran and the white walkers could possibly tie into Daenerys' plot. But really, he had no idea how the story could possibly end and couldn't give a gently caress as long as the HBO royalties were flooding in. D&D realized this at season 8 and decided to end the show as quickly as possible rather than waste their careers ghost-writing the ending for an obese madman's trainwreck of a series.

This is just nonsense lol. Do you really think GRRM's original 3-book plan just had "???Ending???" pencilled in? And hardly "everybody" dies in ASOS. Robb Stark, Catelyn Stark (got rezzed at the end of the book), Sandor Clegane fakeout, Balon Greyjoy, Jeor Mormont? Only one of those is a POV character, and Mormont and Balon basically existed to die. Plus just lmao if you think the Red Wedding wasn't planned from the start. GRRM's problem isn't that he had no plan, it's that he let the books bloat out of control instead of sticking to it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

DaveKap posted:

Did the manga have swimming wall titans? I forget.

It was less swimming and more steaming ahead, as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

MJeff posted:

Well, for the anime at least, they're gonna have to show us the color of its eyes, which could get real interesting. :v:

Don't all babies have blue eyes?