Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

ATP_Power posted:

Here's the clip for folks who are curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmO7onGrLWQ

Hell of a thing to tease.

That clip is really good for setting up a question (what could make them fight each other) without giving anything up otherwise (group of them on a ruined rooftop like we’ve seen plenty of times before)

Though the anime-only, those who remain unspoiled, will slap themselves when they notice Armin is in the shot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The planet is the unicron titan, the elder eldian who will consume everything.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Yeah Eren really stinks right now

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

That account also suggested that getting an oscar cost you your foreskin, cuz you know, jews.

I’m thinking their posts are not entirely in good faith.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I mean, it's probably a stretch, but what if the titans are just externalized representations of caricature? As in the persecuted Eldians are transformed into inhuman forms as punishment, the forms of which are grotesque and not what people of any sort really resemble, which is why no one thinks that they are human to begin with. They use the titans the same way that poster was used. Even the Eldians who work with Marley are almost token soldiers who reinforce the image of them as monsters.

Either way it makes for hard screenshot politics.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

so what is going on there on pages just before it cuts to the walls again? Zeke pulling heads off? The spine thing is interesting.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It is portrayed as molestation and traumatizing and was hard to read/watch in my opinion.

As for Hange...I dunno...You could read “she” into it by cataloguing the “evidence” as such, but that kinda gets at the heart of why framing everything by binary genders is lazy thinking. It would be easier to write an ambiguous character than an explicitly tokenized one if you already had a less binary approach. It would be, as they say, only natural.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

am I the only one who doesn't quite see how they intend to fit these chapters into a final season. Maybe I'm just overestimating how many chapters ahead it is.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Rereading has me seeing that Eren was pretty set from an early point. There’s even a moment where he admits to Armin that he never thought about what was outside the walls until Armin told him about it, and it’s only when Eren saw Armins expression at the thought, Eren says he then realized he wasn’t free (Armin in the panel seems to look as though he understands that is actually concerning statement)

In fact he mentions that all he used to do was cloud gaze, which is not an uncommon way to say someone’s fantasizing or seeing things they want to see in them. I have a stronger feeling on a reread that this ends with Eren possibly rumbling the world and then sealing Paradise off from the outside world again. He has an isolationists heart, and really only acted and awakened to the outside world when he senses in some manner that he had something taken from him.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 14, 2021

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

my first thought was how fast it was blowing past all the points of note people were discussing as being issues there weren’t enough time for. I don’t think it was rushed, entirely, but it did go really fast. My second thought was that at first I did not like the “lend me your strength” team of heroes rising to fight moment, but as the rest of the chapter focused on parts beside the fighting, I liked it more. I agree it is probably a fakeout, though I wonder if “will they stop eren” is itself maybe just that. Reframing the context for the stakes would be very on brand.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It feels also like a valuable point that there are no *nations* striving for peace in this situation, at least not without geopolitical reservations and exceptions. There’s no nation that seems capable or even interested in peace. That’s not particularly hard to swallow. The people of those nations, though, are the same people as those across the water, and many of them have commented on this. One rejection of nationalism would be to say all these concepts of people and borders meshed into nationalities is flawed from the outset and doomed to fail.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 13, 2021

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I dunno, after first read from that rougher translation, it’s the least disappointing of the disappointing endings, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

okay, so, having read that extended bad translation...I revise previous statement to: I’m kinda fine with the world and characters ending up where they are, though really do not like the Eren fellating amidst it.