Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

When I read the manga for the first time, for a while I honestly thought that the female titan was probably Eren's mother, stuck for years as a Titan. I thought that was why she was looking specifically for Eren and not trying to kill people otherwise, and I expected that she'd be killed tragically before Eren could realise this. Of course, after a while it became apparent that she had a totally different motivation from that of a mother seeking her son, which ruled out that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

UberJumper posted:

I am ether an idiot but i don't see it anywhere on the Kindle store, attack on titan, and Shingeki no Kyojin show up with no results.

I tried searching the Kindle books section of the Amazon US site with "Attack on Titan" and it came up with results. Here's a link to the first volume. I could also see it when searching the Amazon UK Kindle store.

Edit: Ah, beaten to it.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Soulcleaver posted:

Oh man, the return of Chuckles in the last page was downright terrifying. If there's any titan that Eren hates more than Bertholdt and Reiner, it's that son of a bitch. He'll probably be splattered all over Eren's giant feet come next chapter.

Maybe. I can't say it wouldn't be satisfying. But this situation represents a really good opportunity for Eren to have character development. Is he going to make mother-eating Titan go splat next chapter, or is he going to protect his friends at the time when they most need him? Mikasa's out of action, probably badly injured, and all the others are vulnerable. Ervin's even down an arm. It's the worst time Eren could choose to get his rage on, and yet it's a situation almost calculated to make him attack that one titan. If he does go for it, he might end up feeling some really nasty guilt later on, especially if one of his friends ends up dying.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

No, but for real, I imagine that Hannes may finally end up cashing in all those death flags he set off. It'd be a pretty clean end, since he'd be able to redeem his regret about not sacrificing himself for Karla by giving his life to protect Eren and Mikasa. As much as I don't want Hannes to go, that's the only real way I can make sense of it without something completely unexpected happening, since they both have ties to him anyway.

Oh hell. I think you're right. Narratively speaking, it makes complete sense for Hannes to face off against that titan to try to make up for running away the first time. It also gives a reason for Eren and Mikasa to be once again left in despair by that particular titan. I'll be really sorry to see Hannes go, but it's going to happen. And here I was thinking the guy had to be indestructible after pinging so many death flags and not dying yet. At least he'll probably have some heroic last moments. Cold comfort, really. The man did the right thing back when he grabbed the kids and ran for their lives.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

When Titan-Annie destroyed Squad Levi, instead of riding back to safety (as he was instructed to do so), he turned Titan to fight her and got decapitated and eaten (again) for his efforts.

I don't think that Eren had much of a choice at that point but to stand and fight. Could he really have ridden to safety? I think Annie would probably have caught him even faster if he'd tried to escape.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

Actually Hanji's first name is Hanji; it was switched around in the official English release.

I've heard someone explain that in some German-speaking countries, while family names are usually listed last, there are some areas where surnames are given first, and that in some rural areas in Germany, surnames are put before given names as possessives. It wouldn't be surprising if Hange is following the custom of one of those areas and Zoë really is her given name.

Apparently Hange is an old-fashioned, well established German surname, so if that's really her given name and she also has a name that's usually a given name for her surname, it would be very strange indeed.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 21, 2013

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Sue posted:

I've been under the impression that Hanji is just an incorrect romanization of the German given name "Hansi" (it uses the same kana as Hanji).

That's possible, but the official version of the name is Hange, and not Hanji at all.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Just in case this isn't known by 100% of the thread, "Surname Given-Name" is also how names are written in Japan.

That's true. But I think it's largely irrelevant to Attack on Titan, where I believe almost all the character names are in Given-name Surname order even in the untranslated Japanese.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Nothing about this makes sense. I haven't heard of any German speaking areas where the surname goes first, and even if there still are, no German speaking country uses the "ë" character anyways.

As for the second part: Hange is clearly an Americanization of what her name sounds like.

I suspect the person I saw who explained that may have been relying on Wikipedia, because I just looked there and it says the same thing as they did. The pages on family names and the page on German family name etymology says more or less the same thing as they did, that parts of Austria and Alemannic-speaking areas regularly put family names first and some rural areas of Germany put family names first as possessives.

From a quick search, I've found some results for Hange used as a family name in France, Belgium and Germany, and among immigrants from Europe, but most of the results for Hange in Germany were written Hange with Hanche in brackets next to it. A different site lists a whole lot of Hanges arriving by boat in New York in the U.S. from Germany. Going by what you say, that use of Hange might well be an anglicanisation of a number of potential surnames.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

She's the biggest coward in the whole show.

Mikasa definitely has some serious issues surrounding Eren and hasn't had much focus on her character development since Eren's "death", but I wouldn't call her a coward. Her first family was murdered horribly in front of her eyes, and then once she was settled again, her foster mother was killed horribly right in front of her, leaving only one member of her family with her. Of course she's scared of losing that last person and having no family again. I don't think that's cowardice at all. Eren keeps getting into danger, too, and the world they live in isn't kind. It may be true that she would have to go through more character development if he wasn't around, and we got shown the start of what that would look like during the time she thought he was dead, but what's she supposed to do, stop trying to protect the last member of her family and leave him to die?

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

Mikasa Ackerman is an emotional train-wreck, holds Eren back actively while promoting and encouraging others, like when they both prompt Armin with their trust, so she can keep on with her dependency.

Is she really holding Eren back? I mean, mostly what she seems to be trying to hold back all the time is his imminent death, due to all the peril he gets into. You gave an example earlier of how she was holding him back badly in the latest anime episode, but I've seen that one just now and the scene you must have been talking about, and what she was doing was mostly trying to persuade him to fight so that he wouldn't die or be kidnapped and other people's deaths could be prevented. If she was really the devil on his shoulder stopping him from breaking the status quo and gaining further understanding and empathy like you said, it wouldn't have done him a lot of good if the status quo was him being dead. (Although I think that in that episode, Armin and Jean also tried very hard to get Eren to fight too.)

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

She has outright sabotaged his gear during training to try to dissuade him from being able to complete it and join the Survey Corps.

There's no proof whatsoever that she did that.

She hasn't shown any interest in anyone else but Eren.

That's not true either. She's genuinely friends with Armin. She loved her parents. She loved Carla enough that she stayed and tried to free her rather than running away with Eren the way Carla was begging her to. She also cares to some extent about her comrades - remember the way she criticised herself for having failed to truly take on the role of leading them? And when Bert and Reiner pulled their big reveal, she hesitated when she attacked them, which led them to be able to escape.

Heck, when the rich guy with the cart blocked the gate and was putting everyone in danger, Mikasa stepped in. She was nice to the little girl there, too. The idea that Mikasa is heartless and cares for nobody except Eren ever is simply not true.

She puts herself, and everyone around her, in danger just because she's so obsessed with this idea that she needs to protect Eren

Really? For one clear example to the contrary, during the section where Eren was out of it in Titan form and the boulder was needed to seal the gap, Armin got Mikasa to leave him to sort Eren out, so that Mikasa could go and help other people. If she was totally obsessed in the way you say, she wouldn't have left.

In any case, Eren needs a hell of a lot of protecting. Think of the team of skilled veterans who got squished by Annie trying to protect him. Mikasa thought all through their training that she'd go where Eren was because he needed her to protect him, and what happens the first day that Eren goes into combat? He loses a leg and then gets eaten by a titan in no time at all. It's not even the only time he's been eaten by a titan in the series. She was right.

She's even attacked Bert and Ernie after their confession rather than let them explain themselves, or work something out.

The broke the wall and killed vast amounts of people, and were for example responsible for the death of her foster mother and Armin's parents. She had no reason whatsoever to believe that sitting down to tea and biscuits for a chat with them was going to work. Annie was working with those two before, and Eren and Armin's attempts to sit down and talk things out turned out badly too. That said, she did hesitate when she attacked them...because although she knew what she had to do, she still flinched away from killing people she knew.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 22, 2013

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

I probably shouldnt be in this thread at all but as someone who hasn't started, would it better to watch the series or read the manga? Do they differentiate in any significant way?

There's a little filler in the anime, but it doesn't change things significantly, and at least some of it is clearly in there with the approval of the original author. Some of the filler is good. There are some scenes which definitely aren't so good in the anime due to changes that were made, mostly delays in the action and additions to the dialogue which make certain characters more annoying or stupid.

Overall I recommend watching the anime. The action scenes and the voice acting are excellent, the soundtrack is great, and the art is better than the manga in some ways. But I think it depends on how you weigh up your priorities. Amazing animated action scenes versus a few dragged out dialogue scenes which give a skewed impression of some characters. I think the action scenes are worth it. I've been finding them thrilling to watch in the anime even though I've already read the manga.

I started reading the manga after I saw the first few episodes of the TV series, because of not having the patience to wait for the next episodes, and the manga is great. It's a lot faster to get through. But if I was starting on the series right now, personally I would choose to watch the anime on account of the anime almost being complete. After that I would go and catch up on the manga, because it's going to be a long time before the next series of the anime happens.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

trucutru posted:

This all links back to the stupid basement and Eren's dad. He knew or re-discovered the way that was used to create the original coordinator titans and, being such a nice dad, experimented with his son.

For all I know he might have experimented on Eren before the fall of the wall, but the impression I got from the odd flashback scenes was that Grisha was panicking about what had happened with the invasion and the death of his wife, and decided Eren would be safer if he had the titan/titan coordinator ability.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I dunno how likely this would be, since why would Eren's mother have left the inner wall for the boonies in Shiganshina, but then again Eren did say "Historia?" when he recalled memories of his mother

It might not even be his mother in the image Eren saw, but another ancestor of theirs. If Eren can look like a male clone of his mother, his mother could look like a clone of her mother, or some such.

But assuming that Eren saw the memory of his mother or of another ancestor, it does imply that his mother wasn't just a random person. Earlier on, people thought that if anything special ran in the family, it would be through Grisha, but now the option of Carla is open too. But Carla didn't turn into a Titan to avert her death, or control its actions, so I can only assume that she wasn't capable of doing so. That still doesn't 100% rule out her having a Titan shifter or controller connection of some type.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Not his mother. That wouldn't make any drat sense and she didn't even look like him. And it has already been aluded to that Eren's parents weren't his real parents.

Where was it alluded to that Eren's parents weren't his real parents? It might have happened but I don't remember it.

I wouldn't say that Eren doesn't look like his mother. I think he bears a very strong resemblance to her, especially in the anime and in chapter 50 of the manga. Going by the anime, they don't share an eye colour, but Eren's eye colour is similar to Grisha's, albeit a bit brighter.

The identity of the girl in the mirror is complicated by Eren thinking of Historia when he saw her. If she was intended to look primarily like either himself or his mother to him, Eren would have been more likely to think "Why am I wearing a dress?" or "Why am I seeing a vision of a younger version of my mother?" But in the same chapter, the eye shapes of the mirror girl and Historia's on the very next page look well nigh identical. I don't think it's a coincidence.

I've seen an interesting theory at another forum which seems to make sense: that Eren is simply seeing an inherited memory of a previous holder of the coordinate, and the coordinate was what Eren was injected with.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 8, 2014

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Chucat posted:

I've just been wondering since someone dropped a reference to this around 80 pages ago, but what's the manga/anime where some guy actually ends up being Issac Newton or something?

Since I want to read it if it's not terrible.

I think the series you're looking for is Escaflowne. It's well worth watching.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Thoren posted:

The alternative would be that she died, and the Marleyans know that's not true because her power hasn't reappeared in the world somewhere.

If Annie had died (and not been eaten) then her power would've gone to a random newborn Elidian baby, right? That'd mean they couldn't know for certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

The translation I saw of chapter 88 specified that the titan power would be suddenly inherited by a baby in that situation. IDK about other translations.