Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Looks like Grisha had some words with the Reiss family before he killed most of them. Not buying this whole 'Reiss family were a happy, harmless bunch before Grisha swooped in and stole the Titan powers'. Also Reiss suggests his daughter lost because she had less experience. Does this suggest Grisha somehow had experience fighting as a titan, or is it an excuse for bad luck in the fight?

Also I think this chapter should put to rest the idea that this series is fascist apologia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Evil Canadian posted:

YEP.

Still at least issues are on time, unlike say berserk :(

To be fair, Berserk kept a fairly consistent release schedule far past the 6 year mark. Now that we're closing in on the 25 year mark though...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
It's been a while since I've done a reread of the series and somethings bothering me that I don't want to go back and check. I seem to remember that during the very beginning of the series Eren dreams of Frieda Riese, but how could he have obtained memories of her if he didn't eat his father until after the attack is over? Am I misrembering speculation and it was just Mikasa or has it not been explained? In fact, did we ever get any kind of explination for the title of the first chapter?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Did Mikasa lose weight just because she was stressed out from their confinement and the revelation that eren and armin will die or is there some subtle point there I missed? It seemed like a weird detail.

free basket of chips posted:

I wonder who Annie's power will go to

Annie is going to help them with her kung fu.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's chapters like this that make it really annoying when people suggest that the mangaka is masturbating over fascist ideology

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't think they gave much of a gently caress about even trying to kill the titans before wall maria was breached, weren't cannons that could be aimed straight down an innovation they came up with to defend wall rose afterwards? it very much jibes with the royal family wanting to maintain isolation from the outside world and stifling inventions that might tip the balance of power and lead people outside the walls. turns out if you aren't actively suppressing efforts to systematically kill the titans it's pretty easy to do

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
This chapter made better use of the modern technology conceit then I gave it credit for during the basement reveal. Really digging the flash forward.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
On that note, did they truncate the scene where they read the cans? It seems like they only included the tail end of the scene in the anime, but it's hard to remember precise details that far back.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Xarbala posted:

Nobody, and I mean nobody likes it when you point out the elephant in the room re: Isayama's politics, but you have to admit the Eldia situation looks very much like a broad strokes take on post-war Japan guilt for Imperial Japan's past crimes. Marley obviously isn't a perfect match for China but it doesn't have to be, the fact that it's written to be a mainland military superpower with a history of horrific violence, both given and received, with the isolationist Eldians is clear. The Survey Corps-led coup in retrospect strongly resembles a metaphorical "taking back" of power from an (irredeemably corrupt, villified, and easily detestable) anti-war government and placing the power in the hands of the people presented as being more responsible and capable of action--in this case, a literal military junta. The world situation is written to be that the Eldian war hawks are absolutely correct, they are facing an existential threat from an extremely aggressive mainland superpower with every intent of subjugating and exterminating them. (This of course lines up with many right-wing fears about China, in many countries.) That is not to say the Eldians are morally correct outside of this context. It just means that the story is explicitly written to justify their position. They are absolutely justified because the writer intends for them to be justified, this is a fundamental device for writing polemic fiction.

As a more extreme example, in the Warhammer 40K IP, the genocidal fascist Space Catholics are absolutely correct both morally and logically in-universe because the universe they exist in was explicitly written to justify them being genocidal fascists (since the writers long ago forgot it was supposed to be a satire). This not-coincidentally gives the IP a large amount of appeal to customers who might share these genocidal and fascist attitudes.

Now, exactly where Isayama takes things depends on his real political beliefs and he hasn't openly shared them, yet. But right-wing writers aren't anything new (and in the manga, anime, and light novel industries are probably the majority) and hell, even the author of High School of the Dead couldn't resist taking potshots at Japanese left-wing strawmen. That said, there's room for the "to you one thousand years from now" framing device to be used to examine the follies of the Eldian warhawks the story is currently following and, indeed, the follies of humanity at war in general. But I don't know if that's what the audience wants. As has been obvious from the start, they want blood.

The original "Isayama is a fascist" critique was that the Titans were stand-ins for the dirty foreign hordes and the series was a call for political unity to instill racial and cultural purity. Then it turned out Titans were not only the same race as the protagonists, but just as much victims as the people they killed, so it seems a bit unfair to seize on a newly introduced element and go "now this is the real militaristic right wing message the mangaka was always getting at".

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 20, 2017

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm actually real glad they murdered bert, not because of his crimes, but because he was a mopey boring loser

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
you know, it's kind of disappointing that jean has been sidelined for basically the second half of the series so far. on one hand i guess it's good because it means he hasn't had a chance to die, but he was an entertaining dude and i can't remember the last time he even appeared in a panel, much less did something

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Conspiratiorist posted:

Except for the moment that Marley declared war on them and attempted to rally the world to their side, Paradis went and crushed the entire Marleyan leadership in one strike, with press and representatives of the whole world watching.

That's as strong a "don't gently caress with us" message as you can give.

yeah, i'm sure this series from japan is playing up the political effectiveness of a surprise decapitation strike instantly breaking the will of a global alliance of more heavily industrialized countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jose posted:

I hold out hope eren is going to commit global genocide because that would be a cool and unexpected ending

to you 2000 years from now you don't exist cause i just killed everyone, you're welcome