Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Race Realists posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3018930

could've swore this type of insufferable weeb disappeared in the mid 00's

They never went away, they just gradually retreated to their own circles (like nerd forums) rather than being so mainstream anyone you could pull off the street would go on about how kawaii their new Pokemon plushies are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Monaghan posted:

"It's a good thing he could move his brain into his rear end" is so loving lame.

It's weird that this is such an incredibly specific corner for writers to end up in. Heroes did the exact same thing after beating it in over and over that hitting a specific point in the brain was the only way kill Sylar, and I think there's at least one other example.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if, in the editor meeting(s) for this chapter, the decision to have Armin survive was just completely cynical due to his character popularity or if Isayama and/or the editor genuinely thought this was a good idea.

What popularity? Isn't he disproportionately low in popularity polls or something silly like that?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Fister Roboto posted:

I was kind of disappointed to find out that this apparently doesn't take place on Earth anymore, but this owns if true.

I forgot what made everyone think it was Earth (me included), Mikasa being Japanese?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
After that ending will any one care about if Attack on Titan is problematic anymore? It's like the Game of Thrones ending, everyone just stopped caring enough to argue if it was misogynist or not.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ccs posted:

I don't think AoT is fascist but its always been thematically confused. You can't introduce a race of oppressed people with super powers and not step into that territory, especially when the oppressed race then actually proves that they're incredibly dangerous by, say, eliminating 80% of humanity.

Like the story doesn't want to say that there is a justification for oppressing or wiping out this race. It also doesn't want to say that Eldians are ubermeches that are being kept down by weaker people and so need to create their own Galt's Gulch on Paradis away from the rest of humanity. It does want to have a bunch of cool fights where people turn into giant monsters though, while at the same time commenting on how this power might inflame cycles of violence and then it inadvertently steps in the path of people who will read is as furthering one of the former themes.

Yeah AOT might not be literally politically fascist but it is a series with very...strange conclusions on mass murder.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Izzhov posted:

I waited patiently for the English physical release of the last volume, and managed to somehow avoid all spoilers, so I just read the ending yesterday.

It is remarkable how many parallels there are between AoT’s ending situation and Homestuck’s. (Not counting the latter’s epilogues or Homestuck^2, which I haven’t read and aren’t canon anyway.) Both stories introduce a huge shakeup at a mid-late point in the story – AoT with the basement reveal and timeskip, and Homestuck with the Scratch. Both of these shakeups result in a huge number of new characters being introduced late in the game. Both stories culminate in a climactic hUgE ePiC fInAl BaTtLe that ultimately feels a little hollow and toothless. And finally, both proceed to wrap things up way way too quickly and unsatisfyingly immediately after that battle.

In order to understand these narrative mishaps, we should keep in mind that the genre to which both of these stories belong – the Ontological Mystery-Focused Fantasy Epic – is still a relatively new one. As far as I know, the first example of this genre is ASOIAF, which is less than thirty years old (unless you count Dune, but I consider that more of a proto-example). Even worse, the genre didn’t even get that popular until the TV series Lost started airing, which was less than twenty years ago. And of course, Lost arguably didn’t provide a particularly exemplary blueprint for how to write a good ontological mystery. Further stifling this genre’s development is the fact that it’s so drat difficult to write, since there’s so goddamn much you need to keep track of in order to make everything work. This means that relatively few authors even attempt to write stories in the genre, which further hinders the rate at which it can accumulate a canon of works from which to draw inspiration.

As far as I know, there is only one example of a work in this vein that has completely nailed the landing – the web novel Worm. Here’s hoping that future authors in this genre are able to learn from the mistakes of their predecessors.

A lot of people in this thread are hoping for a TV original ending. But in my experience, Japanese media productions do not give what single flying gently caress what Western fans think – only Japanese fans. So I think the only hope of an original ending would be if the reception from Japanese fans has been as harsh as it has among western ones. Does anyone know if that’s the case?

Was AOT ever that big in Japan compared to how bonkers popular it was internationally? Like yeah it was number 1 for a while and there was that wave of ripoffs but it really was something else on the weeb side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I thought The Asylum's business model was fooling rental stores into buying 50 boxes of The Terminators, I have no idea how they're still around unless it's very lucrative to accidentally click the wrong thing on Netflix.