Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I need to ask you guys a question.

I've been reading up on what's developed in the manga, and the second season is coming up soon. I have to say, reading up on Isayama's, err, questionable politics has made me side eye a lot of what's been revealed. Notably the whole "Paradis Island" thing with the cowed together people forced to endure under puppet rulers and trapped inside by a controlling outside government" stuff.

I don't really want to start a fight or debate anyone or say they're terrible for reading it, or even get into an argument about what the allegory may or may not be saying. I just wanted to ask a question. How... overt is all of this when you're actually reading it? Like, I enjoyed these characters before a lot of stuff came to light, and I'm wondering how much of this may or may not overtake the story.

Again, not trying to lay any accusations here or start a debate. I just read some details that, based on what I know of the author, gave me pause and I wanna find out how prominent it may or may not be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hrm. I'll give it another look then.

quote:

They make it very clear that the Eldians were terrible and did a bunch of terrible stuff that lead to them being isolated on that island (and I guess that ghetto in Marlian territory as well).

Huh. The summary I read was that this was either hearsay or something the Marleyans invented to make themselves sound like the heroes. That's not the case?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I acknowledge that the series should be allowed to finish, but with Isayama's political views being known to be what they are and this backstory having a not insignificant resemblance to Japanese nationalists' view of the past, I felt it was worthwhile to at least ask.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sarcophallus posted:

If Attack on Titan convinces you to become a fascist or whatever you probably didn't have a very strong political point of view in the first place.

... Well we sure took a hop skip and a jump away from what I was getting at. I wanted to see if this series was outside of my comfort zone. That's all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I meant comfort zone in the sense of "this will probably annoy the poo poo out of me if I read it", not the sense that I could stomach it.

Anyway I just wanted to ask a question. It's been answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TWIST FIST posted:

so, are you going to read it

I am going to check it out and decide for myself.