Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I thought her flaw was the thing where she doesn't live for herself or humanity she just lives for Eren? Although that may be different now.

I always really liked the fact that she can't reach him when they need to move the boulder but Armin can, because whilst Eren is the most important thing in her life Armin gave Eren his original dream and is arguably the most important thing after killing titans to Eren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Titans being light is meant to explain why something so large doesn't destroy itself under Square-Cube Law. But they clearly have some weight to them because they still cause plenty of damage, and they tear apart quite easily which suggests they still have mass too great for their connective tissue to really contain. Eren in particular tends to damage his titan body fighting the way he does, as he's the largest fleshy titan who fights like a human.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 8, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm guessing that needing to be of Eldian descent at all is the only requirement for Titanification, and the Bloodline thing is that specific families work better with specific titan types so if you're descended from that family you get a cooler version of that Titan. However all Titans end up getting a little of the human that goes into them in their appearance, hence why you can map titan faces to human faces.

Also probably taking different Titan juices gives you the different Titan powers, again with certain Bloodlines being better for different juices. Eren could probably get all the juices and have the most messed up titan ever because it'd have variously useful versions of every Titan power, which would admittedly have been a hilarious storyline. Eren vs the Titan Masters for their Titan Powers

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

eren is profoundly bad at understanding mikasa on every level so he probably doesn't even notice it

To be fair the reverse is also true, Mikasa really doesn't actually get Eren properly either. In fact it's one of the better moments where Armin is the one who gets Eren to move the boulder because Mikasa is actually really bad at talking to Eren or motivating him but Armin knows what he'll listen to better than anyone.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I have to admit, one of the most striking memories of this series is definitely the first time Eren becomes a Titan, where Mikasa doesn't actually understand him enough to talk to him but Armin does, because she's always had this specific image of Eren in her head to be devoted to and certain of, whereas Armin questions the world constantly and never is certain of anything but uses that to talk to others.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

hatty posted:

They don’t really look too happy especially Hange

They look, at peace/resolved but not happy to me.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Admin explicitly calls the action an error right after thanking Eren for doing it. Which seems you know, like what Eren did was wrong but for the right reasons.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Guardians of the Galaxy villain wanted to genocide his enemies because they're his ancient ancestral and cultural foe or something. We lack the full context for Ronan the Accuser's crusade, only that he believes himself to be the last vestiges of true Kree culture and that the deaths of Kree people in a previous war must be properly compensated for by the mass slaughter of the people they were at war with.

Which to be honest, is arguably a better motivation than what we appear to have gotten from Eren, if we apply it to Eren.

The victory of Guardians of the Galaxy is that they stop the planet from being destroyed, but probably didn't quite manage to save everyone (I imagine a couple of hundred to thousand died in the attack by Ronan on the planet in question), but they did so through teamwork and successfully overwhelming Ronan with the power he intended to use to destroy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The most memorable thing I've always had in my mind about Mikasa and Eren, is that she completely fails to actually communicate with him as a Titan the first time he's transformed. She cannot get him to move, not a single inch, because she doesn't actually understand Eren for who he is, she's hopelessly devoted to who she thinks he is. He hates her stepping in for him, he finds her overbearing and sometimes infuriating, it's Armin who gets him to move because it's Armin who ultimately understands Eren's desires. Which would fit in an ending where Armin is the one to defeat Eren, if Eren's goal was in part making Armin the hero.

Like straight up Eren is dismissive of Mikasa's romantic affections, he sees them and finds them uncomfortable because he doesn't return them and instead wants her as a friend/sister/confidant. He very clearly wants to be his own person, not just someone relying on Mikasa's power, even if he's not against it helping him when he's actually needful.