Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

has there been any indication if season 4 will be split into two parts? that would give more time if there’s more than ~5 chapters left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Beefstew posted:

Recent leakers said two parts, with part 1 (presumably going to the beginning of the Rumbling) being 16 episodes.

true showrunner trolls would end it with Eren's flying head

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Nah, it’s not either of those things. If it was, I wouldn’t watch it. Isayama makes it quite clear that we’re not supposed to be happy with Eren’s or Marley’s actions.

There’s been some good rebuttals of those accusations in this thread, but I can’t remember when or where they were.

edit: though I guess the series can make for good fascist bait, like 40k does. That one guy in the shop who’s gotten a little too gung-ho about the Imperium.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 1, 2020

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I recall someone in this thread pointing out the contrast between the season 1 openings (humanity triumphs) and what actually happens (they get mostly curbstomped) as another good turn on fascist propaganda.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

So much going on, gonna have to reread a few times to really follow the action.

change my name posted:

Wait, which titan did Annie fly in on at the end?

Falco, Jaws.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Or just make another Beast and start throwing more rocks.

Also it’s not too much of a stretch for Falco to not need any practice, there were things Eren just ‘knew’ about his titan abilities early on, despite not knowing anything at all.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

AFAIK Falco can fly because he's got some Beast Titan in him and tapped into that memory. I don't think Annie has anything to do with it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Eh, it's not going to be my favorite OP but I like them showing titan-less destruction. I read it like mankind is capable of doing horrible things all by itself, without scapegoating the Eldians.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Turns out AoT is on Hulu so now I finally have a use for my wife's subscription. Neat. First episode was great, Mappa doing good work. Liked the end credits as well.

Ethiser posted:

Obviously you then flip in on them and say that Ymir has actually been controlling Eren all this time.

Really, hasn't Isayama made it clear enough that Eren isn't in control? This theory is very unlikely to pan out, IMO.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Well yeah but I’d prefer that to ‘Eren was the bad guy and manipulating Ymir this entire time’.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Eren was in last night’s episode but I wonder if the anime isn’t going to reveal him until the Reiner meetup?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I think AoT deserves some credit for not being 'anime simple'. Biggest problems for me are still 1. the titan curse and 2. the world will never forgive the Eldians.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

chiasaur11 posted:

Also, the rest of humanity's only hope is a bunch of Eldians. It's not enough to erase the history, but there's a chance at a fresh start. (Especially since Reiner is arguably the highest ranking living member of the Marleyian government. Funny what the apocalypse can do to the chain of command.)

If the Titan powers go away too, then it gives less reason for the old grudges to crop up again. It's not a perfect future forever, but if anything can get people to stop shooting at each other for a few years, it's this.

Y'really think a half-Rumble and becoming (even more) powerless would make the rest of the world chill out? As opposed to validating every fear they've ever had? That they'd even entertain the thought that the Eldians are suddenly not walking time bombs? It's a real mess of a situation.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Trying to decide whether Armin's capture means he's going to get his chance to talk it out, or his gagging means he definitely won't.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

time for a new thread title

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Huh, just realized a connection between the Rumbling and the timing of Historia's labor, Ragnarok and the painful rebirth of the world.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

have ymir change the eldians’ bodies to survive off photosynthesis

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Aye, we were explicitly shown Eren reaching every Eldian with his rumbling announcement. Distance doesn’t matter.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Don’t forget the OVAs focusing on the wacky adventures of Pig and Parasite.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

hmmmm i have never ever been interested in digital manga but this is a crazy amount of content for $20

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

3 chapters left and this fight isn’t over yet. uuugghhhhh how is this going to all wrap up?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

If the entire planet has declared genocide, does the scapegoat race have a right to defend themselves? Or is it better for them to just accept it and die?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Oh yeah I agree, I am by no means saying YAY RUMBLING. I just think the story is a good one because Eren and the Alliance both have understandable motivations. And Marley. And the rest of the world.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 11, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Reading the manga properly for the first time thanks to the humble bundle, before this I'd only read past season 3's ending. Honestly I think the anime has done a great job adapting everything, though I've noticed there are interesting character moments missed and important conversations sometimes cut short. e.g. Eren and Historia's relationship seems to be developing more in print.

No Wave posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to.
They're making the point that in the real world people don't need a reason to be racist and despite generations of effort it is still systemic across human civilization.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

yeah this battle’s going to be 2 episodes at least

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Why is an aerial shot of wartime Falco part of Eren's memories? Is he seeing through Ymir who sees through the birds? He 'remembers' the pigs, too

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 14, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

if Falco was the next Attack Titan, Eren would see things from his POV

Gaj posted:

He also seeks Zeke on the ground reaching out to catch his head. And Grandpa Jaeger.

But those are things Eren is actually present for.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 14, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Armin throwing up giant red death flags, being the Survey Corps Commander* and talking about being willing to sacrifice everything.

*turns out Shadis didn't escape the inevitable, either.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

It'll be a two part final season.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

too soon

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

How many people know that Eren can see the future? Historia and maybe Grisha? I can't remember if he's told anyone else.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I assume he's told Historia pretty much everything; maybe she's seen some of what Eren sees when they touch. I don't know why she would go along with this otherwise.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

chiasaur11 posted:

Because she's the worst girl in the world, the enemy of all mankind.

As was discussed about her and Ymir, Historia's more than a little selfish, and when it's the people she loves against strangers, she makes the personal choice. I mean, I think Eren filled her in on everything, since he makes her one of his top priorities, but she's got a track record here even aside from any future knowledge. Ymir or the world, she picks Ymir. Eren or the world, she picks Eren.

It's Krista who's the good girl, and Krista doesn't exist.

Yeah I get Historia's deal, but there's an order of magnitude difference between choosing Eren over her father's obviously flawed scheme, and actually going through with the rumbling. Eren, for all his predilections towards (justified) violence, was all for Rod's plan in that moment, and only rumbled when he couldn't deny his prescience any longer. I don't believe Historia is more bloodthirsty than him, so I believe she knows everything he does.

While we're here, when they talk about the rumbling, Eren says he can use the founder to make Historia forget. Is he saying he can do that at any time, or that he's going to do it once he's in contact with Zeke? Also, if Eren really is the father, it would be implied that they used the founder to manipulate farmer dude to act as her husband. Again, how did they do that without Zeke?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Eren was still looking for another option while he was in Marley.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

eh, doesn’t seem realistic to me. if that route didn’t end the titan curse and miraculously erase thousands of years if hatred, the subject of Ymir would be turboscrewed by turbocharged racism as soon as the dust settled.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I would accept a musical ending starring Levi and Zeke

~Oh my God, I was wrong
it was Paths all along~

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

#1 best named character killer

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I didn’t get the impression that Gabi was aiming for anyone in particular, she just happened to get Sasha?

Also Falco best boy, i love how quickly he understood and internalized Reiner and Eren’s pain.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Also, the people Eren wants to save are on the wrong side of the wall right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Animating these chapters makes it look a little silly that Gabi and Falco were able to catch up to an airship in full retreat, on foot. And that dude’s gear should’ve kept him hung in the air, not fall to the ground with enough slack for the crazy kids to have time to work everything out and choose to go for it.

but y’know, nitpicking