Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Fister Roboto posted:

I honestly have no loving idea what's going on anymore.

No one does, maybe not even the author, it's just a ridiculous ride at this point. How many more sharks will they jump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

wdarkk posted:

I’m hoping they make it into SRW alongside Zeta Gundam for maximum titan fighting.

If Evas count I don't see why Titans couldn't at this point.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

Eren should win IMO, he deserves it after all the hard work he put in

:hmmyes:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

With so few chapters left this one really feels like a bunch of wasted space and time. Almost no actual advancement until the final few panels.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I liked the ending to Code Geass :shrug:

That said I really don't think this is where this story is going, if that were the case I don't think he'd be so settled on mass genocide, he'd be subjugating everyone not murdering them.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Sub Harrison posted:

How cheesy would every SL member approaching Eren in the Paths, convincing him to dedicate his heart to humanity?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Objectively the world would be better without people, humans cause this misery for ourselves and destroy the spaces we exist in. Objectively all he's likely to do is doom the small population on Paradis, murder the rest of the world, and let nature take back over. He's actually just Captain Planet taken to the extreme.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

hatty posted:

Ah yes Captain Eren, he’s a hero, gonna take the population down to zero.

I'm dying :cheers:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

There has to be umm something more I guess.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Is it weird that I barely remember Historia? I feel like she hasn't been an actual character for easily the back 1/2 of the story. I get that she has very little of interest to do (maybe we dunno I guess?), but given her being a central piece in the story for Eren & the outcome, it feels weird that she's been so absent except as a way to hide information.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Much like I feel its odd that Historia has been largely absent, I sure don't remember her and Ymir having a relationship through the paths. There is clearly a lot of this story I've forgotten or lost as it's ramped up to genocide here at the end.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Does it really matter if they are or aren't? At this point they've accomplished their goal which was to enable Eren to Rumble. Feels like they've gotten what they wanted and wouldn't put up much more fight to anyone returning to the island.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I started but enh gotta wait for something I can read

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Vagabong posted:

Is Gabi body slamming Falco in that one panel?

Yes. Well an overhead belly to belly suplex but yes sure looks like it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

That was a seriously underwhelming finale. Not even awful per se, just really kinda sours a lot of the last 1/3rd of the series for me. There was a lot of "interesting" threads setup that it seemed like they were basically ignored to expediently finish up publication. Just like "enh gently caress it, lets get this poo poo done, I could care less about any of that". These last few chapters just reek of him having chosen the amount of time he wanted to spend on this IP and just sticking to it even if it really could have used a bit more to flesh out why anyone should buy any of what it's selling.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I don't think it's the worst ending, and some folks here have found some decent through lines you could draw from the finale. It's just doesn't feel exciting and momentous, it just kinda feels...blahhhhhh

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

My gut that it was weird that Historia disappeared from the narrative? Spot on cause it was weird in the finale where she doesn't even get a speaking line.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

hatty posted:

If they replaced ten chapters full of mindless bombastic friend and foe teaming up action and spent them doing anything else it would have been an improvement. Even the big worm ended up being pointless, unless I'm reading it wrong Ymir just wanted to watch some girl kiss a decapitated head and decided to dust the worm?

I guess she just wanted to know that it's okay to let someone go if you loved them cause they were in fact a poo poo person. 2000 years not a single example, but man that girl with the scarf and her necrophilia really got the point across.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Skipping 600 posts, I've now read the ending.

Very solid. A bit disappointing Eren wasn't the baby daddy, but he needn't be.

Everything else was resolved about as satisfactorily as it could be.

This post makes you think you skipped the last 6 months of publication too.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Eej posted:

If only the woman had left her abuser, smh

Thats not the issue, folks understood and were fine with the dynamic when it was "abused person can't escape their abuser". it's way less palatable to make an 11th hour switch to "actually she just really loved him SOOOOO MUCH"

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Eej posted:

Abuse victims often do love their abuser though so even if it was done in the last pages of the manga it's not exactly an illogical plot point

Im not saying it's illogical. I'm saying it sucks and detracts from the narrative he'd built dropping it in the final chapter.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

A Devilman esque ending would have been way more fitting imo, bring on that deep seated epiphany and the misery that comes with it after it's too late.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

GimmickMan posted:

What I get from the "is aot fascist" discourse is that mobile suit gundam would break the minds of modern western anime viewers.

Luckily we got introduced to it through Wing and G Gundam which are both batshit caricatures of the original. WAY easier to digest.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Relin posted:

gihren's voice actor is pretty good there

wtf i love zeon now

Thats how they get ya

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

McConnell posted:

I suppose I'll ask this: do people in this thread think Attack on Titan has a happy ending?

Delusional hopeful I guess, but not happy.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Long term the planet recovers, but not before the existing biodiversity is largely pushed into extinction including the humans. We're talking cosmic scale it might recover, there is no feasible path to saving the planet for the life that exists there now without them literally banding together to replant huge swaths of greenery. That probably wouldn't even do it because all the animal mechanisms required to support those greenery surviving and spreading are gone too.

If in fact he destroyed 80% of the trees, the world is hosed for a long long time and all anyone really has to look forward to is a slow wasting away especially for the ensuing generations. The rumbling given the consequences that were thrown out in the final chapter looks REALLY loving dumb since it cannot accomplish what he wants it to "setting his people free". He's just doomed them and the rest of humanity to extinction in a few generations barring massive technological advancement beyond anything shown as possible in the story.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

As we continue to murder it irl, I've become a fan of discussing what actually kills and doesn't kill the planet, in-between domeposting.

I'll reiterate: destroying two-thirds of forests is bad, but not global ecological collapse bad. True mass extinctions begin in the ocean. Yes, a great deal of biomes will have been irrecoverably ravaged, and yes, entire regions will become uninhabitable for generations, but as far as humans are concerned the worst effects of both of these are mitigated by the fact that the people who'd inhabit them were also flattened in the process.

Can't have mass starvation if all the people who'd have starved are already loving dead.

Rapidly mowing down the Amazon for timber and unsustainable ranching? I sleep.
Expanding zones of aragonite undersaturation in the southern ocean? Thiamine deficiency detected across the trophic chain, and we have no idea what's causing it? We are so very hosed.

Homie they stomped the fuckin oceans to get to the land mass. Paradis is an island they have to go out through the ocean to reach any landmass.

Oceans have forests too, I think you could expand his statement to include coral & kelp etc in which case the extinction in the ocean is going to rapidly impact the life on land. I don't believe that the aquatic world pulled a Hithchiker's and magically said "thanks for the fish" and avoided getting stomped.

I'm assuming the biodiversity there is hosed too. Immediately no I don't think humanity collapses, but the trickle down effect of the oceans slowly dying if they aren't hosed along with the massive temperature and climate shifts that will come with the lost trees and grass etc...I appreciate the approach but that world is hosed for a long enough time that it's hard to see that version of humanity making it long enough to come out the other side.

Eventually the planet is fine, it will out do us all.

vvv way less about how many fish swam out of the way than their habitats being smooshed into oblivion just like the land surface

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 28, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Swimming or not once they get close to the coast as we saw they start walking. So sure plenty of deep ocean life is maybe fine, but bye bye reefs and kelp forests.

The more I think about it the more I would have enjoyed a completely bleak ending where Eren's entire answer was "humanity was a mistake, we can only break the cycle by removing ourselves from it entirely. enjoy the rest of your lives as you wait for extinction, i'm headed out first" The only freedom to be found is in death now, but noooooooooo

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 28, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Marine ecosystems adjacent to cities the titans might've directly landed upon had long since been devastated.

It's peanuts.

The world of AoT is basically right on the back end of the industrial revolution. I guess maybe, but there is plenty of coastline around THE WORLD that likely hasn't been ruined and developed yet. My point is swimming titans doesn't absolve the ocean from having been damaged.

It's a dumb debate, but it's spawned from the poo poo writing in a poo poo finale so there you have it.

Also amazingly those things aren't IMMEDIATELY ruined by humans being near by them see a ton of the Cali coast and until global warming killed the Great Barrier Reef that one too. Humanity does do a number on the ecology of the planet but even we haven't managed what was thrown out in the last chapter which is magnitudes beyond the damage we've done to our planet.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 28, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Oh.

Oh, I get it now.

You're thinking that the titans spread outwards from Paradis, like a single marching wall fully encircling the globe, including their traversal across the oceans.

Yes, I can see why you'd reach those conclusions, if that's what you're thinking happened.

That is the impression I had. I don't see how his claim could possibly be true otherwise. If it's only what we're literally shown on the pages, the rumbling barely got going. So his statement is either an obvious lie or a bunch of the rumbling happened off screen. I've been assuming that most of it has been happening off screen and we're seeing a fraction of a percent of it on the page.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Staltran posted:

I think you're really overestimating how many wall titans there were. It's more likely they dispersed in groups to attack specific areas before moving on to the next settlement. If they just spread radially like that there'd be a huge distance between each titan pretty quickly.

Cut it together however you want there is a massive gap between what we got on the pages and what Eren describes in the final chapter.

Either he's lying, or more has happened than we saw. I am going with the latter.

Bisse posted:

Before the 80% comment, I thought the rumbling was just a single wall marching toward one location, basically only what was shown in the pages.

After the 80% comment, this was my impression as well, a solid marching wall encircling the globe. The alternative would be a bunch of smaller walls aiming for various landmasses which is in effect the same, or the wall shown in the manga taking a 'little detour' on the way to the events of the battle and rumbling the vast majority of earth as a fun little side trip. All three of these are really super absolutely idiotic events tbqh

It's this one comment that creates all this trouble, and the final chapter just has a ton of it. It did a really good job of undermining or confusing the material presented over the prior 138 chapters. And the result is that it makes a lot of it seem really idiotic.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

What the ending really did was invalidate every doujin that put Eren with anyone because home boy never hosed.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Escaflowne was a cool and pretty movie with yet another grossly underwhelming finale. I can hardly remember the TV series. I honestly hardly remember any of it. Just that the suit designs were very cool mechanically to look at.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Kind of impressive what a few extra pages will do. I still think it's a p flawed finale, but the little bit of extra context was helpful in making it feel more coherently connected to what came before it. Armin man, stop thanking the guy for committing genocide couldn't have edited that dialogue for this reprint huh?

I don't get this whole next wave of titans thing some of y'all are mentioning, where are y'all reading that from? I gathered that part remained. Eren got rid of the titans, but they weren't the reason humanity wants to murder itself so even with them gone the cycle continues. Just got paused for a moment while the bio weapons get replaced with the more familiar ones.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Thanks y'all for the clue in on why Titans will be back, I guess I missed or forgot the Tree part of Ymir's story. I guess thats what I get for reading chapters as they come and not revisiting the earlier stuff. It all kinda washes together and can get lost. Poor future kid Eren your haircut has doomed you to fall into a tree and come out a monster.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

Then again, how likely is it that the kid's future remains will be freaking consumed by his descendants to pass down his titan genes?

Space worms I think make it possible I dunno

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dude just didn't know how to finish it. It's okay, a lot of writers struggle with that.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

LOST is great, and somehow i'll say AOT would have been better getting weirder and off track way before the last few chapters like LOST did and it would have been better.

Not every mystery box needs opening, but you can't keep introducing them during the climax of the series or their introduction and lack of resolution becomes a sore point that sticks out way worse than if you'd left them alone from earlier in the narrative.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

SA is still great and if the worst parts of here left with Lowtax that's fine by me.

I will be on here posting with the gang until they shut it down. My rumbling will never end on something awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

So what would the ideal ending have been for most of you? Like say they stopped Eren before the rumbling decimated most of the world, what would've been the best way to resolve the bigger conflict between Paradis and the world at large without a bleak implication that all of our heroes are soon going to have their island utterly crushed?

He should have committed harder to the bleak ending, skip the worm poo poo and just let the heroes fail and have to live with the knowledge they are safe for now but couldn't save the world. Eren is awful, stomps the planet, dooms everyone, and the world is allowed to reset free from the hatred and violence of humanity.

He saves his friends at the cost of everything like he wanted and is scorned for it not possibly fondly remembered.