Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

RuBisCO posted:

I cannot wait to hear what ungodly noise comes out of Eren titan's mouth.

Since we're making Evangelion comparisons, I would hope it'd be something like the noise berserk Evas make, only even more pissed off. Something that's right on the edge of the sort of noise a human would make, only enormous and feral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

AnonSpore posted:

Call her Youmeel instead. :v:

e: Also god drat, the anime thread really has it out for Mikasa.

If it's that they still think she's Just Too Strong, I would think that the anime adaptation of http://www.batoto.net/read/_/6247/shingeki-no-kyojin_v2_ch9_by_gantz-waitingroom/36 will go a long way towards humanizing her. Either that or they'll go UGH OF COURSE THEY HAD TO TAKE THE STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER AND MAKE HER DEPENDENT ON A MAN, managing to further miss the point.

But I actually missed the name of the chapter the first time I read through this series and sound effects don't mean anything to me so I gloss over them. I didn't realize until now that she was desperately listening for a heartbeat, and found it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Abitha Denton posted:

I was under the impression that was already where they were going with the magically-strong swords - Titan flesh can't be pierced by normal, non-military (non-scouting legion?) weapons and one of the datafiles mentions that no one is sure where this crazy strong metal came from. It could be from somewhere else entirely, but I think that's the only source that's been foreshadowed so far.

Seems like they've said that the blades are produced in one or more industrial towns, of which I don't think we've seen. I don't think they're made of anything unique, just designed to be supremely sharp and hard at the expense of everything else, which is why they can only use them a few times before having to switch out the blades. They seem really thin, brittle, and shatter easily. They're pretty much big boxcutters, down to having those hatch lines that they seem to break along.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Mio Bison posted:

Straight from the manga--"Then again, ultra-hardened steel required the addition, in small quantities, of several rare metals, although what materials and in what proportions remains top secret, industrial town-only information." If that doesn't scream 'some secret Titan bullshit' to you we may not be reading the same story.
I guess the idea of that just seemed unlikely to me for some reason, since iron/steel can be made to be pretty absurdly sharp if you ignore durability. I pretty much interpreted that sentence to mean that it was something along the lines of a family/business secret. That's on top of how they seem pretty easy to break and if there was some super-special ingredient I would expect them to last longer. The blades seem to have the same properties as any normal sword we would see in reality. Also, since titans are made of flesh with pretty much the same properties as humans (other than the special ones), mundane materials ought to be fine for the purpose of slicing meat hunks out of necks.

Plus, on top of that you have the increased complexity of a plot that involves adding a mysterious component to the mass-produced blades that everybody knows about, meaning a hugely important secret (wall titans/tame titans being harvested for materials) is being further spread out to an unknown degree. Any number of people from the tippy-top of the forging process down to the peasant shoveling titan dust into the vats could up and start tracking this mysterious unidentified powder to its source. No normal person is going to keep quiet about something like that.

Of course, all this isn't to say that I'm arguing against the theory. Such a plot would be entirely at home in this comic and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find out that all blades are manufactured by shell companies owned by high-ranking members of the Wall Church.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

ZeeToo posted:

Annie is the harder one to justify, but even after her reveal she wasn't given a purely negative outlook, she's got a few more secrets unique to her that need to be spilled, she's basically waiting to be a deus ex machina of some sort with the crystal, and she was described as "kind" by Armin. I really expect her to come back and get a good ending.

I dunno, she would need a pretty serious redemption to make up for all the people she casually killed in horrific ways. Some of the stuff she did to the scouting legion was super hosed up, like when she grabbed that guy's 3d gear grapple and spun him until he was ripped to shreds. She could have easily swatted them away, tossed them, quickly crushed them, or just kept running, but she chose to kill them painfully. It was one of those things that really illustrates how little regard the human-titans have for the lives of pure humans, like a kid killing bugs.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Eiba posted:

Honestly, she made the choice that gives her the most options. If she wants to use Eren later, she can always just tell him and use him later. But if she openly sides with Eren now, she won't have nearly as good a position with regards to Reiner and Bert.

If she thinks that Eren is going to listen to her ever again, she knows nothing about him. She just allied herself with the two entities he hates most in the world. Whether she's trying to play both sides or just play along until they can escape, he is pretty clearly not the type of person who's able to think about these kinds of things rationally. It would take someone like Armin/Mikasa to talk him down or he'd need a long period of downtime to think about things. Neither of those situations are likely to happen any time soon.

I expect that part of the reason he was suppressing himself was because he knew that transforming on that branch with her right next to him could kill her. But now, as far as he's concerned, he's surrounded by enemies. Eren has a default reaction to that sort of thing.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It's such a hilarious and complex face. It always seemed to me that it was a whole host of different expressions all combined together. Relief at having successfully navigated a tricky situation, smugness at having outsmarted the drill sargent, amusement at how simple-minded she seems to think he is to have been appeased by a small bit of potato...Sasha really is the best character. "I didn't think this through!" is a great catchphrase.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I think that if he's going to bother with any explanation (he really shouldn't), it's probably some ridiculous thing about using solar power to pull moisture out of the air which is why titans shoot out steam all the time. I wouldn't think too hard about the physics or geology of this universe too much, it's just gonna make your head hurt and isn't really the point.

Basically I'm saying a space wizard did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Saagonsa posted:

Pretty much all of the end cards, with the exception of episode 17's, are pretty cool. One of them was even done by Sasha's voice actress. Crunchyroll has a list of all of them.

Holy poo poo, ahahaha: