Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I have a feeling that engaging the titan instead of fleeing is going to bite Eren in the rear end. After all, the female titan's whole goal was to flush him out, and now he's right in front of her.

As strong as Eren is, his opponent has shown a remarkable resistance to being dead and a greater ability at remaining clear minded.

I don't see this ending well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well she hasn't fully regenerated yet ,so he might be able to beat the poo poo out of her. If you noticed she still has her muscles severed so she cant guard.

She just came back from being devoured whole by a horde of lesser titans. Even if Eren does beat the poo poo out of her, what's to the person inside from just reforming the body from scratch again?

Another thought to keep in mind is that all the other titans are still there, and they're not all that far away.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The top of page 17 is a perfect panel. You could not improve on it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

It definitely has.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

In some of the action scenes it can be hard to tell Mikasa and Rivaille apart, but as soon as you see their eyes it's immediately obvious.

It's another month until the next chapter, isn't it?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doc Hawkins posted:

I do think it's an admirable one, but if someone instead freaked out over the situation, I wouldn't say to them "You're being unreasonable!" It's pretty freak-out-worthy.

Well, if they were going to freak out they probably would have done so earlier. It's not like they went into this without knowing that Annie was the giant.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sindai posted:

Trying to lure her underground where she couldn't transform was a great idea though (remember the giants are solar powered). Too bad she caught on.

I don't think giants being solar powered is why they tried to lure her underground. I think it more a matter of geometry; a 20 meter giant is going to have trouble in an 8 meter tunnel.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cuchulain posted:

Any theories on who the Armored titan is? I thought it might be Shaved-head idiot guys, but he's a little... dead, now.

It's almost definitely someone we haven't been introduced to, yet. It's a wild guess, but I'm thinking it's someone in the nobility.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

In this latest chapter, poo poo continues to get real.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hallgerd posted:

One thing I missed that was just pointed out to me is Annie's stance here is a titan fighting stance: she's covering the back of her neck. I really like how the author bookmarks this sort of thing.

This is such an incredibly subtle detail.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hackbunny posted:

I do love how quickly the priest went from horrified to outraged

I wonder how recent events will affect church membership.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nasgate posted:

Except our protagonist doesn't get better, just angrier. His refusal to stop fighting is also on par with the black knight from Monty Python.

He's already lost more limbs than the black knight.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Has there ever been any mention of titans reproducing or dying of age?
It just occurred to me that the same titans causing problems now could be the exact same ones that first appeared however long ago.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sanguinia posted:

Most importantly, we got that extra chapter a while back of a lost Scout meeting a normal titan alone in the woods, and he started crying and talking, spouting jibberish about stuff cryptic stuff like "Ymir."

This reminds me, we don't know anything of what's outside the walls. There is an entire planet out there, there could be entire separate human civilizations that we simply don't know about.

The Jetsons could be taking place elsewhere in the world, their super advanced society kept safe from the titans in their large floating cities, and there wouldn't be any way to know.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

It was the worst day for humanity, again.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hackbunny posted:

You guys are making me paranoid now. Rereading the training chapters, I wonder if it was really an accident that Eren, of all people, was given defective 3D gear, rather than a deliberate attempt to break his will

I've always assumed that Mikasa had purposely sabotaged his gear to keep him out of danger.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

codeorange posted:

Was that a 5 or an S? I can't tell with the type of font used.

It was an S.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Schubalts posted:

How did you not see that she was a girl before this?

It was made pretty obvious in the chapter before this! I'm amazed that so many people didn't realize this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

It looks like the beast titan is attacking deliberately to see how the humans react.

It's learning.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Something to consider is that the three walls are all long. A 50 meter tall titan would presumably be 25 meters wide. That's 40 titans for each kilometer of wall, and as long as walls are, that would add up fast.

I don't remember if we're ever given a length for the walls, but Wall Sina envelopes a mountain, and is the least of the walls. All together there must be hundreds of thousands of kilometers, which would be four million 50 meter tall titans at the very least.

If they want to protect humanity, they'd be much more effective actively attacking enemy titans than they would by walling themselves in.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DrSunshine posted:

It is all just a very large and complex social experiment, taking place in a walled-off preserve or artificial island about 1000 km square. Civilization continues apace outside, as some sort of high-tech futuristic society, either beyond the confines of the experiment zone, or in outer space, watching from above.

It's all a ploy to develop people and techniques that are capable of fighting mythological monsters. Other enclaves have humans beseiged by goblins, faeries, karakasa, manicores, trolls, etc..

The ultimate goal is to train a force capable of matching humanity's actual enemy: space dragons.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lepecard posted:

Also, on page 14 of chapter 41 I thought for a brief moment that Ymir had the ability to go through walls!

In a sense, she does.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

What are peoples thoughts on the reveal that there are titans who can dig underground tunnnels?
If such titans exist and can dig under the walls, then why did the titan's need to breach the outer most walls, at all?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The way they said it, it seemed to me that they already knew that some titan's could make underground tunnels, and it was just a case of those types having not attacked yet.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

davidHalestorm posted:

Berthold is still alive, he grabbed Ymir while Reyner grabbed Eren. But I do agree with you that Mikasa hardly going to back down from a fight with a 50 foot monster.

Berthold is not a 50 foot monster; he's a 60 meter monster, about 200 feet.

For reference, that's as tall as two Giant Robos.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

If this were any other comic I would say that Eren is due for his mid-season upgrade.

However, since this is what it is, I'm going to guess that he's just going to die.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sanguinia posted:

Obviously I WAS ONLY FOLLOWING ORDERS has limits as a justification and doesn't cover truly heinous/immoral acts which is why it doesn't apply to things like prison guards who execute POWs or people who intentionally target medics and whatnot, but "number of people who died from the act" isn't a reasonable metric for judging that. All these two did was break down a wall.

The only surviving relic of human culture is Pink Floyd.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Serious Frolicking posted:

Eren's only unique accomplishment has been to carry a giant rock.

Maybe they should provide Eren with a titan-scale club, or hammer?
Brute force is much more effective with some leverage.

They could even give him a cannon. Cannons have been said to one-shot even powerful titans. While the drawback is they're very difficult to aim, Eren could fire one at point blank.

There hasn't been a lot of acknowledgement that Eren isn't just transforming into a giant monster; he's transforming into a giant human.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Excelsiortothemax posted:

True but their hardest known metal can't cut the armoured flesh. Any armament has to compete with that.

I was thinking for armored titans you could have a giant ice pick, or pickaxe.

However, like the scouting legion's box-cutter swords, they probably would last more than one or two swings.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 19, 2013

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doublehex posted:

How the hell is he supposed to carry all of this when he isn't a Titan?

I'm sure the Scouting Legion can afford to hire a caddy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doublehex posted:

The way things are going they should be praising the stars if there is even a Scouting Legion at the end of this arc.

and with all the cash they save on wages they could hire two caddies.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Devil Tesla posted:

This isn't a show about titans attacking, but attacking titans,

No. It really, really isn't.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cao Ni Ma posted:

For all intended purposes this could have been called Attack on, Titan! and it would have been a better fit .

This is a very inspiring story if you root for the titans.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

milktwice posted:

But how do giant titans fit into this? Gigantism?

It may have a smaller titan in it's neck, with the "pilot" in the smaller titan.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Paracelsus posted:

It's titans all the way down.

The big twist at the end of the manga will be when they cut open Armin and find a smaller person in his neck.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I didn't think Eren had a chance.
I love how what's given Eren an advantage is his human capability to learn and train.

Elemennop posted:

i really hope Eren starts doing some wrestling and brazilian jiu-jitsu on Rayner, goes for a double leg, passes gaurd, gets a mounted triangle and once he realizes titans don't need to breathe switches to an arm bar where he rips it off

God drat, man.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gyges posted:

I hope when the anime finally gets to Eren's transformation they chose some music that's appropriately

I was thinking a metal remix of Beethoven's fifth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-A7DhOQ1p0

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Devil Tesla posted:

Post from the anime thread:

I just read this in the other thread. It was almost sadistic joyful.

I hope to God no one spoils that thread.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This is a little off topic, but I could really go for a nice steak about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Braun is a homonym with "brawn," which fits quite well.