Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Factory Factory posted:

It took me forever to understand that. You have to pronounce it in some Frenchie way, like you would "Versailles." It's like the world's most obnoxious "East Asians pronounce 'R' and 'L' the same" joke, except done utterly seriously.

Levi's name in Japanese is リヴァイ. Versailles in Japanese is ベルサイユ. リヴァイ doesn't seem to have a ユ at the end of it, so I doubt it's meant to be French or something.

edit: Oh hell, is Chapter 58 out?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Red Suit posted:

Can we get to the basement now please

Watch the basement be the goal of the entire series and everyone only getting to it in like 2020.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yes they confirmed that like a year ago.

Christ. This battle that just ended took like 11 months.

I'm really glad I stopped paying attention to this series and only just now thought to check up on it. 11 months of basically no interesting development :psyduck: What's in the loving basement????????????????

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 19, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just caught up.

:psyduck:

How the hell has this gotten even crazier? Now I'm back to itching for new releases. Argh.

RatHat posted:

So the titan to the left of Ymir in the flaskback is totally the one in the Ilse Notebook side-story. Guess that explains it.

That reminds me. In that side-story, the titan was clearly lucid and intelligent enough to speak and communicate. Have we figured out why that is yet?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 31, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AoT is all about everyone being a bad person somehow, so don't expect black-and-white thinking.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

free basket of chips posted:

I wonder who Annie's power will go to

"Annie who?"

MonsterEnvy posted:

But they don't need to give her a titan I think. They just need Historia to touch him or somthing.

"[...] who has been transformed into a titan" - this doesn't include Historia.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hasn’t Isayama espoused some lovely right wing opinions before? If so, then I’m not sure I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Why are people always so quick to dismiss the Marleyian version of history completely out of hand? Yeah, they're probably embellishing things to excuse their own lovely behavior, but if the ancestral Eldians were even half as bad as they claim, that still makes them loving monstrous imperialists who reaped what they sowed.

The rest of the world, by the way, don't seem to disagree with the Marleyian assessment of events either, and they loving despise the Marley too for being the current lovely global empire.

Eej posted:

"reaping what they sowed" in this context, by the way, means being reduced by second class citizens stripped of rights and left to wallow in ghettos :shepface:

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think genocide and concentration camps are ever justified, IMO.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I was referring more a coalition of enslaved races uprising to topple a tyrannical empire. (not unlike the current World War Titan, fyi)

I mean what they did next was lovely as gently caress, sure, but if you didn't know that part of the story you'd be cheering for the Marley leading the charge with their also suffering allies against their cruel taskmasters. Just like you're doing for the Eldians right now.

I think it was just a mistake for Isayama to try and draw any parallels to the Holocaust and the Nazis at all. I don’t think he pulled it off.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The sad reality is that serialized fiction is not often meant to end which is why it is so often terrible and disappointing when it finally does

It’s almost like the intent of serialized fiction is to keep getting your money instead of creating something good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just don’t understand why Titans had to be born from the literal farts of a bug and why the Titan genesis story apparently had to be the schlockiest thing I’ve heard of.

Once the series started having to provide answers instead of questions, it ceased to be interesting. I remember being loving fascinated by the story and where it could possibly be going in its early days (up to the end of season 2 of the anime), and then it started to suck once it got to the basement and I gave up on it. At that point the mystery started really dying off, and with no mystery, there was no reason to keep up with it.

Like, I’d ask for more details on poo poo like “what’s the deal with that one talking Titan from the anime bonus ep” and “what’s with all the Norse mythology influence“ and “what makes Mikasa so special anyway” but based on what I’ve seen of the ending, I don’t think it’s worth finding out.

Yikes.

Still mad that Ymir+Historia got sidelined and didn’t become a thing. :mad:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ape Escape and the Grisha flashbacks is where I started to just not care anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wish there was transparency in the development and writing process of large scale projects like these. I really want to know what went wrong.