Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

I bet the female titan is Annie, they are going to get into a fist fight and Eren is going to recognize her combat moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Stupid Boob posted:

I'm guessing it's Annie. The female titan is highly competent at hand to hand combat. Figuring out who she is has kind of been the focus of the plot for a while now, so it wouldn't make sense if it was some random nobody that hadn't been revealed yet. And the thing that really makes me think it's her is she had Armen at her mercy twice but didn't kill him, but had no problems with killing anyone else.

I don't know why you are spoilering speculation based on past chapters. Anyway, I agree. Besides all you said she also spared Jean and that other guy from the graduates group. And I think Armen has an idea who it is because of when he did his little freak out to distract her by saying so-and-so is dead.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well... We don't really know yet. There is a lot of speculation in that direction and it makes a certain amount of sense but this manga has been anything but predictable so who knows?

That may happen but it would have to be someone who knows Eren is Armen's best friend and the phrase Jean uses to desribe Eren as "the guy who is in a hurry to die." I think that limits the pool of canidates.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/v05/c023/34.html

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

davidHalestorm posted:

Ah c'mon, it's not that bad. I mean, Eren's alive and well and so's Mikasa, Rivialle and the newbies Heroes always bounce back, right? :smith:

They are going to end up at Eren's basement eventually so they're going to at least have some success.

Once a month isn't enough for this manga, I need more.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yes, but it will turn out that Eren's basement is the most horrible place in the world.

His mother hooked up to an incubator like Jenova?

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

I hope they set up those pipe bomb things to immobalize her because she is about to gently caress their poo poo up and I don't think the scouting legion can afford to lose another hundred people.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Argas posted:

I hope they get around to explaining how they deduced the female giant's identity. Otherwise, a pretty cool chapter.

They showed it, Armin put the pieces together when he, Jean and Ryner were fighting by yelling something only the cadets could know which shocked her. He became suspicious beforehand after she spared his life and apparently said his name.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

davidHalestorm posted:

There's also the fact that this chapter made a point that "good" and "evil" is a relative term. So expect some hideously complex motivation and/or plot twist.

Well there is, this is how good the writing is, this whole thing was forshadowed back when the giants attacked the second wall. Annie inexpicably for no reason said she was sorry and someone (I think Jean) didn't understand why she said that and told her it wasn't her fault.

She spared her friends Armin, Jean and Ryner when she was on her murder rampage, looked distraught when Armin said Eren was dead, in her fight with Eren you can tell she intitally didn't want to fight with him but he gave her no choice, and when Rivaille saved Eren he looked back and noticed the female giant crying

Finally in the last chapter she was talking about how she is a rotten person for just going with the flow instead of standing for something like Eren or that good-hearted police guy

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Does anyone know what chapter it was when Eren and Annie wre doing hand to hand combat and she told him about her father?

also here is annie saying sorry early in the manga, it's on two pages.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/15/23

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Vincent Valentine posted:

I dunno if that's actually his lore or whatever but typically a mouth like that with a large, flat, wide pallet with rows of sharp teeth is something that crushes its prey rather than tears it. When the prey struggles it rends itself if it can even move at all. Since its extremities are so restricted it has no real way to fight back and then the murder starts.

You see similar methods in how alligators kill prey. They clamp down and hold the prey in place, and then spin their bodies like a corkscrew to let bodyweight and physics do the work.

Alligators drown their prey they don't crush them.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

I wish I could go into hibernation for 30 days then wake up when there is a new chapter.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Hallgerd posted:

It seems like it's most likely to be Reiner Braun, the guy Annie picked up but didn't kill in titan form. He has the same resemblance thing going on and there are a lot of incidents in the manga where he and Annie seem particularly close or 'in the know'.

Nah, Reiner is the same age as Eren and crew. The armored titan attacked the first wall while they were all kids. He is also best friends with the guy with black hair whom he joined the military with since they were kids. Black hair guy would have to be a titan as well.

I like the theory Zorak posted a while back.

Schwarzwald posted:

This is such an incredibly subtle detail.

This manga is awesome with the foreshadowing, I didn't even see that one.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Kusaru posted:

Yeah, I saw that on the title page this week and was hoping it was just like an extra in volume 7 or something. I'm sure it will be awful.

Volume 1 comes out in June and is 6 bux on Amazon, so there's no reason to not buy it!

I might have to buy this for my brother. Is the translation going to be good? Will there be censorship? Should I be hesitant to buy it? And how many chapters will be in the volume?

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

That chapter was so good it felt so short.

Nilbop posted:

Yessss, have some of that, ye bitch.

I'm sorry, but "Daddy told me to be a complete oval office my whole life, so I am" is not a tenable arguement for killing dozens and dozens of people.

Also, it looks like that titan was buried to keep it subdued - it's eyes look like it was lobotomized, or like it's just about to wake up from a long sleep. The reaction to sunlight makes sense in that case.

Totally agree, except it was over a hundred people, she single handedly wiped out a third of the scouting legion. Annie was sadistic while doing it too, if you remember the team at the windmill. She enjoyed twirling the guy at the end of the rope around and kicking the team leader's horse. Rivaille said as much to her while on her head about enjoyng killing.

In any case what she and the other human titans are doing might be for the greater good of humanity because maybe they are fighting a shadow war with the central authority behind all this for the general populations sake but mudering all those people is impossible to forgive, she crossed the line. Her father might have been hinting at this in his words.

Unlikely. Walls have gone down before, and if they had titans in them I imagine this is something people would have known by now.

On the other hand, she had basically no problems whatsoever loving that wall up, which begs the question: why haven't the titans just knocked all the walls down? Is it because they know there's titans in the walls and don't want to kill their friends?

Maybe the human titans are in on the conspiracy. It has been put forward before that the loss of land might be a way for the people behind all this (the King?) to gain more control over the population.

Illuyankas posted:

None of the walls (mostly the gates from what I remember) were taken out by the normal, non-human piloted titans, and both non-fifty metre titans who did damage the wall did the whole metallic skin thing.

Yeah, normal titans don't have those hard pointy fingers, she must've been doing something.

Sindai posted:

Goddamn Mikasa you are one ice cold mother fucker.

Yeah, best to make a personal note never to cross Mikasa.

Mo_Steel posted:

:suspense: is pretty much the exact reaction I had to this chapter. Very well done, and it raises a ton more questions that may have been foreshadowed earlier and we just missed it. Because of how deep within the city this particular series of walls is, is it possible that unlike the exterior walls they have never been breached? Maybe only the very innermost sorts of walls have a Titan in them, or maybe just this one spot for some reason.

They could be using titans as mortar for the walls. It has been done before, the Great Wall of China was in part made with the remains of the people condemed to build it. But then that raises the question of how they got a live titan in the wall in the first place.

Simstim fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 12, 2012

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Advance of the Giants sounds like a lackluster C-movie title, so there's that.

But Attack on Titan makes me think of exactly that, an attack on the moon Titan, not giants.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Nilbop posted:

I'm going to imagine Titan-Eren walking in to "If You Smell What The Rock Is Cookin'" while stopping, breaking off to walk in a different direction for a few seconds, looking expectantly at the madly marking out giants, and then repeating the same thing in a different direction three different times.

And when he wins he can pull one of these

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

davidHalestorm posted:

This chapter ended with a note of hope. No way that will get crushed next time, right?

I would like to be thrown a curveball, right now I am expecting something awful to happen to those people because of the glimmer of hope.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Wow lots of crazy poo poo going on this chapter.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Count me in the 'thought Ymir was a dude' group.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

So where is the new chapter? I'm getting itchy.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Mikasa is going to kick some rear end.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Desperate Character posted:

My theory is that the titan that was attacked was one of the recently converted humans (just like the one in the village). Maybe newly converted titans are still attacked due to still smelling human or something, or vice versa it was a human titan that attacked the other as its thought process is relatively new :shrug:

This is what I think, and I also think it's related to how titans go after Eren when he is in titan form.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Gyges posted:

But they didn't seem to go after Annie when she was in Titan form. She seemed to be somewhat in control of them.

Yeah, but they did go after Eren.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Gyges posted:

Right, but then smell can't be the reason. Unless every time Annie turned into a Titan she went and took a bath to wash the human smell off herself.

Dude just said smell as a possible explanation, I didn't even say that. His main point that I agreed with is the reason the one titan attacked the other titan is because the other titan was a recently turned titan from whats-his-face's village. And I added that the reason the titan attacked the recently turned titans and the titans' interest in Eren are probably connected. The reason they obey Annie probably has to do with her knowing more about what is going on and being a more experienced titan.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

It is common pratice during wars or epidemics when there are a lot of dead bodies to either bury them in a mass grave or burn them to prevent the spread of disease.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Check it out, the guy in the most recent chapter, Daz, has made a previous appearance

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/125

Nothing special but cool nonetheless.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Also some food for thought on Eren's dad.

The drill sergeant knew him: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/13/31

And when he injected Eren and told him about the basement he mentioned "their memories", whatever that implies.: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/64

The tight plot and foreshadowing makes thinking about these things worthwhile.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

The humans sort of have gates and ladders. The scouting legion used to leave all the time, until the outer wall came down.

The writer could be up to something similiar to the Matrix, where Zion acted as a form of control for people who saught freedom so the whole system didn't crash. It could be the conspirators inside the wall didn't/don't expect the scouting legion to accomplish anything of importance.

final2percent posted:

Just re-read the entire series today. God drat it's so good.

Some further Ymir speculation from a little hint dropped here http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/38/31:

I think it's entirely possible that Ymir was transformed from a human to a titan before the walls were even erected, and recently was able to revert to a human to start life a second time. The can of herring being printed in a language that Ymir understands but Ryner doesn't implies that both the can and Ymir are from some foreign place.

I think you are on to something because of what Ymir said in the most recent chapter: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/145464/shingeki-no-kyojin_v10_ch40_by_tdx/39

I died for the happiness of a great many people

Simstim fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 11, 2012

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Captain Capacitor posted:

Or the St. Elsewhere route where this is all a little boy's immune system fighting to keep him alive.

I want this to be true.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

The big one kicked in the first wall inti the city. The armored Titan smashed the second wall to get into the big area behind it.

Didn't it make a second hole as well? The one they plugged with the rock.

The colossal titan did make the whole that was plugged by Eren, the Armored Titan never got around to smashing the second wall because wildcard Titan-Eren showed up. This was an important deduction made by the Scouting Legion when they tried to lure them out using Eren as bait.

edit: I should say the veterans of the Scouting Legion who survived the breach of the first wall, it wasn't known to anyone else except Armin who figured it out on his own. It might just be the bonds of trust formed in battle but there might be more to what happened with the Scouting Legion after the first wall was breached that hasn't been brought up yet.

Simstim fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 19, 2012

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

I hope Ymir wakes up and they have a battle royale, Eren and Ymir on one side with Reiner and Bertholdt on the other side.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

For awhile there was a big theory that Titan was the name of the planet and Titans were the planet's self-defense system and attacking the titans meant attacking the planet itself.

It was bonkers but it was born out of the weird name.

Also the plot to Blue Gender

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

What I want to know is why the sasquatch titan decided to recon the kingdom when he did. There was peace for a long time within the kingdom before Reiner's crew first attacked. And it looks like the sasquatch titan is from a different faction than Reiner Annie and Berthold since the sasquatch didnt have prior knowledge about the 3d maneuver gear.

So why the sudden interest from the sasquatch titan, who came out of nowhere, after 100 years of peace? What is his motive? And why didnt he care about the kingdom prior to all the poo poo going down with Reiner's crew.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Pretty sure in the flashback Ymir ate a kid who was the same age as Reiner and Berthold. The kid distracted Ymir so the other two could get away.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

Christa gonna lead a revolution :dance:

Then get eaten because the titans don't sustain themselves with sunlight, they actually devour humanity's hopes and dreams.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Can Can anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2n4TBef0aws

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

SorcerousHam posted:

Edit: Also is anyone else getting the feeling that taking Eren to the home village of titan-people by the duo that massacred his home town is the worst possible decision that Bert and Reiner could be making? That's only going to end in tears. Most likely Bert and Reiner's as Eren kills (or at least tries to) everyone they know and love.

I hope it comes to that.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Scintilla posted:

Absolutely, but then it's clear that Bert and Reiner aren't exactly the most stable, rational people in the world. They refuse to explain anything and don't even bother trying to defuse the situation; Ymir had to do that for them. Eren has straight up sworn that he's going to murder them both in the most painful and brutal way imaginable, and there's currently no reason for him not to do that the first opportunity he gets.

I have to say I loved Eren's reactions this issue: from the "are you loving with me?" response to the "you are a couple of mass murderers" take down to the "oh I get it now, I am going to kill you in the worst way possible". The guy has no control over his rage and I love him for it.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Looks like Mangastream is now doing translations, the latest issue is up on the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

Yeah, people are upset about there not being enough action and too much dialogue and boy howdy they are watching the wrong show.

By action I'm assuming they mean sword pushing, training arches and mid-battle conversations.