Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Illuyankas posted:

I'm looking forward to finding out how the sixty metre tall titan can move so fast and so quietly, that it can appear and disappear next to a heavily guarded wall without anyone noticing.
Most likely because that titan is Eren's dad who's using the same power as Eren has, seeing as it's 'poof'-ing in and out of existance, in order to fulfill some dumb goal. Lets recap:

* Disappears mysteriously on the same day as the giant attack.
* Just before disappearing, tells his son which he has turned into a Titan super monster, about his secret basement and gives him the key
* Knew how Titans worked etc
* The huge titan appears/disappears with the same hot steam that TitanEren appears/disappears with

Bisse fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

temple posted:

The real thing that doesn't add up to me is why they have to cut the neck.
Since that is their weak point for an unknown reason which is a mystery! Which is part of what makes this manga so great, the unknown, mysteries!

It's not really a mystery any more though since that is exactly where Eren was sitting when he was a Titan. So obviously there are people at that spot, or remnants of people at least...

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

In It For The Tank posted:

Tfw the manga and anime have divergent endings, splintering the fandom over which is better until the end of time.

tfw congratulations eren!!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The rumbling given the consequences that were thrown out in the final chapter looks REALLY loving dumb since it cannot accomplish what he wants it to "setting his people free". He's just doomed them and the rest of humanity to extinction in a few generations barring massive technological advancement beyond anything shown as possible in the story.
The rumbling is also just really super duper loving dumb from a power and narrative perspective. I'm giving the series some sort of pass for a magic slug being able to release a gas that causes humans to increase their mass 10,000% in a matter of seconds, any number of times, with seemingly no loss in energy, because it used to be a fascinating mystery. But being able to just, pull out of your rear end at will, a wall of unstoppable 5km high dudes thick and long enough to circle the entire earth? I had understood the rumbling to be just a maybe 100km wide wall of dudes aiming for specific locations, until that one comment that was like 'by the way this was a worldwide event'.

Also seconding the the-world-is-hosed view of this. Imagine if the modern day amazonas was suddenly nuked. We would be an order of magnitude more hosed from a climate perspective. And that's 4% of the world's land. The rumbling destroyed 80%, and also presumably flattened all mountains and destroyed all ground, plus as someone mentioned has the same effect underwater. For disasters, take your picks from loss of oxygen, massive carbondioxide spike, severe global food shortages due to disrupted wildlife, unexpected second-order events like toxic algae blooming on all the waste products of massive global death and killing majority of fish, deserts spreading across the remaining 20% of earth, climate change gone nuts, wild weather pattern changes due to land feature changes such as mountains being flattened, etc etc. It's not impossible for the species to survive but it will be impossible to maintain a civilized society and most humans will starve, drown or choke to death.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 28, 2021

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Also should mention that I forgot to read AoT after about the point where Eren gained titan powers. (it was super good and fun, it's just that life happened) At this point the series was just a fun Humans vs Large Zombies deal. And now saw the series is ending, and decided to check in and uh what uh wow uh

- the rumbling
- nazis running jew concentration camps
- time loops
- the whole ymir torture rape love thing what the fuuuck
- seeing all possible futures
- world hosed because dumb teenage love angst emotions

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

No, really: why are we reading strict scientific accuracy into the series on this one plot point? Why can we suspend our disbelief for humans instantly poofing into immortal giants, but can't take the text's word for it that humanity is able to rebuild after the Rumbling? I don't understand why this is different.
To give a bit of a personal answer, this series was very interesting from the start because there was one, and only one, supernatural element: The titans. Everything else was strictly bound to the laws of the real world. You didn't have magic, or anime powers, it was all just real people dealing with a supernatural threat in an otherwise believable situation with no real tools other than hookshots and little dinky swords. So for me the fun of the series was how the titans fit into an otherwise realistic world.

I realize at this point with futuresight, time loops and magic slugs, that this is no longer the case, but there's still that element to the series of real-world humans fighting a supernatural threat that's what makes it exciting. So casually mentioning that 80% of the world is ruined triggers all those thoughts of "wait, is this a real world or cartoon land".

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Oh.

Oh, I get it now.

You're thinking that the titans spread outwards from Paradis, like a single marching wall fully encircling the globe, including their traversal across the oceans.

Yes, I can see why you'd reach those conclusions, if that's what you're thinking happened.
Before the 80% comment, I thought the rumbling was just a single wall marching toward one location, basically only what was shown in the pages.

After the 80% comment, this was my impression as well, a solid marching wall encircling the globe. The alternative would be a bunch of smaller walls aiming for various landmasses which is in effect the same, or the wall shown in the manga taking a 'little detour' on the way to the events of the battle and rumbling the vast majority of earth as a fun little side trip. All three of these are really super absolutely idiotic events tbqh

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Those last few pages were really sad but beautiful. I guess if you've spent 10+ years caring for a series its not the message you were hoping for, but I agree it is executed well.

Titans were only violent because that was Ymir's command, right? So the next wave of titans might be used for good instead, in theory? Although with the theme of humans always looking for ways to kill each other, I guess it's inevitable that will be how titans are used.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

drat thats some four dimensional chess we all got played by

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

If people encounter racism in real life, they will think, "racism is bad". But maybe, if we produce our movies in a racist way with 95% white cast and only one token black guy who isn't a gang member and who ends up dying to save the other white people, people will be like "this movie is racist. But racism is bad." And that's good actually because it starts a movement! So actually, we aren't racist, we are PRO-anti-racismts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Proud to be a part of the global Anti-Genocide movement