Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Titans and the wall were humanity's last defense against the deer invasion. Most titans no longer attack wildlife because they understand that they have no chance of winning. Sasquatch is part of a titan supremacist faction, and gives no fucks. He will use a scaled-up model of the 3D gear he stole to attack the deer god from Princess Mononoke and lose decisively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Volumes 1-3 were released in English last year, 4/5 are coming out in March/June. Hop to it!

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Reread chapter 38 if it's not glaringly obvious to you that some or all small titans are made directly from people and Ryner and Bertholdt are determined to prevent that fact from getting out for whatever reason.

Dredging up some of the earlier/cross-thread discussion about whether an anime-only ending would be better, I hope the anime sticks to the source material and cuts off at the end of chapter 42 :3:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

It's tough to get a chapter that's almost straight shounen when there's a monthly wait, but at least it's well-drawn? This art in this comic has come a loooong way in three years.

Still holding out for Exposition Fairy Eren to remember the real secret weakness of the Armored Titan.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

I was just thinking earlier about how odd it was that young Bernholdt would be good enough with the 3D gear to (presumably) escape using it after kicking down the wall at the very start of the manga... when I remembered that Eren first talked to Bertholdt and Ryner because they were both unusually good at the first 3D maneuvers course. This manga :3:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Those two weren't willing to become titans to save their own lives for some reason.

If we're talking about the scene in the tower, it seems more likely that they couldn't transform because they were underground and/or it was nighttime. Remember how Annie point-blank refused to go underground even for a second when she thought Armin and crew were onto her?

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Zorak posted:

The first time through we didn't even know the human titans were a thing.

We did know, the training arc was a flashback that happened after Eren ended the second Titan attack by plugging the wall. That said I don't think anyone could reasonably guess that they're Titans before that encounter between Annie and Armin/Reiner outside the wall.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Vincent Valentine posted:

Who lives and dies? Well, that's just about the only thing you can say, everyone dies and they always die with little fanfare. Even the ones you think have plot armor will probably die. That's the theme and tone of the manga: Everyone dies.

SNK has a really high body count but it's all mooks and side characters, what's the highest-profile death in the series so far after Eren's mom in chapter 1? Mike? I don't think the author is scared to kill a leading cast member but he hasn't done it in eleven volumes, the pieces of his story fit together too tightly to just kill characters off for kicks.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Eiba posted:

However it works out, I bet they can't go home while there are people alive behind the walls.

If their overall goal was "kill all sons of bitches" it's hard to imagine why they'd knock down the outermost wall, stroll in, wait a couple of years and join the army. Based on the human titans' general pattern of behavior and Reiner's promise that they'd leave humanity alone if Eren came with them it seems more likely that they were originally after the king/something the king has but Grishafied Eren is more important than their original target.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

genericnick posted:

It's a lot more obvious than in the manga since they already had the injection scene.

It's shown before Eren gets chomped on in both versions. Much easier to overlook when you're barreling through the first part of the manga instead of sitting around for a week between 20-minute episodes though.

Zorak posted:

No, that stuff was in the manga, I distinctly remember that.

Seconding Eiba, the extra line in episode 5 about Armin's parents secretly going outside the wall before the first attack wasn't in that scene in the manga nor do I remember reading it elsewhere. Seems likely that it's setting up an anime-only plot point.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Broad prediction for the next chapter--Reiner's finally going to have The Talk with Eren about what the human titans are after, we'll learn what the real backstory is between Reiner/Bert/Ymir and we'll either learn why Eren is so loving important to them or get a Grisha namedrop. Then, at the moment of the most crucial and story-turning revelation as Eren is convinced that the human titans are pretty alright dudes (or at least worth tagging along with), Mikasa will show up and ruin everything. ~fin~

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

To reiterate and expand on the response from the anime thread, a live action movie adaptation of Shingeki no Kyojin was announced in 2011 with a targeted release date of Fall 2013, but has been pushed back to 2014 because the first director they tapped for it quit on them.

I can't think of a single manga->live action adaptation that's adhered to canon so I wouldn't think too hard about that aspect.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Zenzirouj posted:

I don't think they're made of anything unique

Straight from the manga--"Then again, ultra-hardened steel required the addition, in small quantities, of several rare metals, although what materials and in what proportions remains top secret, industrial town-only information." If that doesn't scream 'some secret Titan bullshit' to you we may not be reading the same story.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

jonjonaug posted:

I'm pretty sure the injection thing wasn't shown until after that battle in the manga. The anime switches some things around.

As other people have commented the training arc wasn't shown before Eren Titan in the manga to reveal his fighting style and develop him further, nor can you see hair/eye color in B/W, so there are fewer tells regardless. Not sitting around talking to people for weeks and weeks before reading the subsequent chapters also helps!

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Autumncomet posted:

Hell, if that translation is accurate, how did the titans cross water in the first place?

The bigger question is how enough (presumably human) titans were created and brought together to put up the walls before all of the ships arrived. I'd wager that the continent the titan-fleers traveled to was already populated and the inhabitants were sacrificed or forced to sacrifice themselves to make the walls by some Grisha-like figure traveling ahead of the ships with huge quantities of the titan juice. If you assume that:

1) the royalty and/or church were behind this initial subjugation of the native populace in the name of creating a safeland paradise for the rich foreigners to migrate into and
2) the current batch of human titans are among the descendants of the people trapped in the walls who are mad as hell that they got caught up in all of this

... this story starts to make a lot of sense. Still tough to explain Sasquatch but you could surmise that he and/or a race of Sasquatches are the relentless threat that the humans were fleeing in the first place (being the only known cause of/force behind the mindless Titans).

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

I think they were relieved that she didn't get hurt not so much because they were concerned for her well-being, but more because if she had gotten hurt, the steam produced by her Titan-regeneration abilities will expose the fact that she's a Titan.

As Reiner shows later by speedhealing his broken arm and yanking off the cast (and Annie shows herself by healing the one eye in Titan form) they have the ability to suppress/control their regeneration as they choose so they don't have to be too paranoid about suffering injuries.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Piggybacking off of the last few posts, here's the page(s) from the manga where the priest is talking about Historia: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/130237/shingeki-no-kyojin_v9_ch37_by_tdx/28

On the first page he says that Historia doesn't know anything but has the right to know/share secrets, on the next page he's all "I bet she already knows the deep dark secrets even I don't know and maybe she'll even tell you". Presumably this is a translation problem, is there a better scan anywhere?

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Connie carrying his Titanized mother in his handlebar basket is magic. I don't know what kind of magic, but magic nevertheless.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Annie is reaaally obvious if you're paying attention, the part where Armin tricks her into reacting to "that guy who was in a hurry to die" might be the most blatant clue in the story to date, after that you just need to noodle out which female trainee it is and that's not too difficult.

Awesome catch on Bert thinking about transforming on top of the tower, daaaamn. I guess that implies that all of the human titans can transform at night? I've been wondering what the rules are as far as that goes, the idea that some/all titans are inactive or very sluggish when it's dark has been a grey area.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

The degree of crazy makes me wonder--has Reiner "only" developed a real psychological issue that's causing his warrior/soldier identities to split, or could that be a long-term side effect of the titan juice? I think we can be pretty sure that they couldn't transform when they were extremely young and Ymir killed their buddy, it's not too much of a leap from that to the same process Eren went through.

Didn't see anyone else comment on the reveal that the Sasquatch has the unique ability to create titans that can move at night, and "Shouldn't you, of all people, know that already? Ymir?". Both parts raise so many questions about factions ughhh.

Re: all theories about the human titans' relation to Sasquatch--keep in mind that Sasquatch doesn't know the first thing about human beings in the "modern" era or what's going on inside the walls. He can't be buddy-buddy with the human titans we know who've had 3D gear since they were kids. It's possible that Bert and Ryner are excited because they'd be allowed back into their village if they brought back Sasquatch's head or something else he's in possession of. Also possible is that Sasquatch is the only one who physically has the ability to get back there (e.g. to cross the ocean again...?). Who knows.

And who the gently caress even knows what's going on with the previous reveal that Bert and Ryner would leave the wall alone if Eren came with them (which I think we can assume has something to do with Sasquatch, given that they specifically kidnapped Eren on the morning after spotting him) and absolutely everything about Christa/Historia. Here's a shot in the dark though: maybe the Sasquatch is a third party trying to kill everyone inside the walls and giving Eren to him would persuade Sasquatch to both bugger off (keeping Christa safe, which is Ymir's main thing) and give Ryner/Bert whatever they need to get back home with their captive Ymir? But why would Sasquatch give a single flying gently caress about Eren, especially if we're assuming he hasn't interacted with humans for a long-rear end time?

See you guys next month :bang:

Mio Bison fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 7, 2013

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

It's going to be a crate of Playtitans, full of full muscular female-type titans.

Eren will finally find a reason to not genocide the titans.

He will trade this crate to Pixis in exchange for all the secrets of this world.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Partial spoilers and pics from 47 are floating around right now, the full raw and early scans should be out within 48 hours if history's any indicator. I don't want to drop hints until there's more context for the images but it looks pretty good!

More importantly this chapter also has the latest popularity contest results and Levi took first by a two-to-one margin over Eren and Mikasa who were in a virtual tie for second. Sasha, naturally, is fourth.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

dirty nub posted:

It just seems weird to me that the people living behind the wall have no knowledge of their history outside of "titans showed up and killed everyone." I thought it was mentioned that only 100 years had passed since the titans showed up. A huge wall like that doesn't just appear overnight and even considering the wall is made out of titans people would have to know about that. It just seems like there might be more to it. Maybe some kind of north korea brain washing or the war has been going on longer than 100 years.

The inside front cover (or inside of the dust jacket?) of every JP volume has some badly mangled/reversed Japanese over a picture explaining that humanity sailed across the ocean to escape the titans and found the walls when they arrived at the next continent. Might be a legit history of the Attack on Titan world, might be a falsified one, who knows. Lots of theories out there to explain how that happened and why the church/royalty are suppressing info about the wall/outside world, no way to prove/disprove any of them.

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm kinda pissed because the Bert and Ernie reveal was, weirdly, really well done in the manga, and almost nobody really suspected it aside from folks who had read that blog post. Now the anime viewers know about it before even Annie's been "confirmed".

I don't remember anyone from the places I read (which isn't many) figuring out that Reiner/Bert were armored and colossal but it was CW that Reiner was a titan because of that scene where he cut the message into Annie-Titan's hand, that was a really ham-handed 'hint' by this story's standards, the author gave away both Annie and Reiner in like ten pages. Castle Utgard threw people off though because Reiner didn't act like a human titan in those scenes at loving all so chapter 44 actually was a huge surprise for me, good work author.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Is Bertholdt "Fubar" the actual official romanization? Because why in the world would you choose "Fubar" instead of "Hubar/Hoover/Huber" or just about anything else that isn't an acronym for "hosed up beyond all recognition"?

Just checked my copy of Vol. 5, it's Bertolt Hoover. No Problem.

E: Bertolt is the best name because it's easy to forget, much like Bert

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

Jean was so obsessive about Mikasa that he sabotaged Eren's training gear, which nearly brained and killed or seriously injured him.

It's strongly hinted/generally accepted that Mikasa sabotaged Eren's belt because she wanted to keep him out of the military.

E: I want Armin/Mikasa Titan plushies so bad you don't even know

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't think of any good way to justify what Bert did.

Lordgenome was right, RIP humanity's protector :911:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Edit: or it turns out that the wall is actually a giant transmutation circle

And remember those tunnels under the city? Awww yeah.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Spiderman and Pacific Rim also cost $200m+ a pop. I will generously estimate the odds of Attack on Titan getting a nine-figure budget at 'infinitesimally above zero'.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

I'm kind of hoping for a non science-based explanation for the titans, as they seem to do decidedly unscientific things, like generate and lose huge amounts of mass out of thin air (nobody mention nanomachines, utility fogs, or hyperspace!).

Gotta keep in mind those tidbits about titans being extremely warm and titan parts weighing almost nothing when they get a limb severed or whatever. Given those callouts the most likely explanation is that they have the same mass as a person but they're full of superheated air or some equivalent BS. OFC this still has logical issues but things are pointing in the direction of a pseudoscientific explanation, otherwise why bother having your characters talk about their universe's weird science?

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

It's such a brief flash, and the angle doesn't really make it clear that there's a titan in the wall as opposed to "oh poo poo the wall is crumbling and there's a titan right on the other side." Then again, I recall there was initially some confusion about that when the original chapter came out too, so maybe it just can't be helped.

Putting aside the manga perspective being unambiguous unless you think the wall is one and a half feet thick the chapter's closing text next to the titan in the wall is something like "There's a titan in the wall?!" so anyone confused was really beyond help.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

2) Just what did Mikasa's biological mother implant into her right forearm?

The coordinate :getin:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Gyges posted:

Wait, so Bert and Ernie didn't actually know that Eren was the Titan King until just now? They just decided to kidnap rage in human form on the off chance he might be the one? Man, Bert's little mental monologue is really underselling how completely hosed they are now that Eren's has acquired the titan version of The Word of God.

I haven't seen a full translation but someone translated Reiner's thoughts at the end of the chapter as something like "The coordinate ended up in the hands of the most dangerous person". They previously claimed to have kidnapped him because they thought he might have/be "the coordinate" so they definitely knew about this power, wanted it and were reasonably certain but not confident that Eren had it.

More importantly, it is totally basement time now motherfuckers :unsmigghh:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

jassa posted:

These are slightly old posts, but I can't for the life of me work out which manga/anime they're referencing.

Kill La Kill, new show from Studio Trigger (the same dudes who split off from Gainax after making TTGL and did Little Witch Academia) and probably the best this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

When scanslators don't translate sound effects it's because they don't think cleaning/redrawing/typesetting the SFX is worth their time (relative to working on more series/chapters) and cluttering the margins is distracting. If you ever reaaally want to know what some untranslated sound effect is you can look up the hira/kata and shove them into this site. Not hard at all, no knowledge of runes required.