Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Watched the whole season of Anime, decided to read entirety of manga from start to end (chapter 50) and WOW am I glad I jumped in exactly when I did. Chapter 50 tying off that story means I feel like I'm complete. Was actually fist pumping when I came to the realization that Eren is essentially the Commander of a Titan RTS game. Still kinda miffed that I haven't seen his basement, know wtf coordinates are for, why Historia matters at all, what's with the monkey, how humans are getting transformed, what the inner circle really knows, and what's with the titans in the walls... but still enjoying the plot nonetheless.

BTW I really don't think that "titan in the wall" stinger in the anime is as bad as all you readers insist it was.

Have to say the funniest thing in the entire manga was when Reiner pulled Eren over and just casually remarked "hey, bro, listen, I'm the armored titan and bert here's the colossal one, come join us!" Just had to stop reading and crack up laughing. Although you guys ruined the anime thread by making it extremely obvious who was who (you guys are assholes, btw) it was still quite interesting being able to read the manga from the start with those facts in mind. Makes certain panels make a whole lot of foreshadowing sense.

So, since I've finished, are there any facts that are obvious to all you analytical/conversational types that I probably missed on my own and now that I'm just jumping into this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Well, I knew Historia was a key to the gate of information concerning the wall cult's secrets. I can understand how what I said would make you all describe exactly that fact, so my apologies for saying it in a dumb way which in turn made you explain something obvious. I actually meant two other things when I said "why she matters at all." Firstly, why does she matter to Ymir and/or the titan village people? To tie into this, secondly, why does she matter for getting information about the wall cult when there's a titan village full of people who probably already know and are doing poo poo to gently caress it all up?

If we assume the titan village people know wall cult secrets, then that means there's something to the walls other than the idea that they will soon crumble, titans will come out, and humanity within the walls will be hosed. I say other because the way Bert and Reiner talk makes it seem like this is an inevitability that they've already predicted. If this is true, then the titan village people want Historia either for some other secret or simply because they know she's the only person who could tell the people within the walls what's going on, which could be something the titan village people want to prevent. This also assumes Ymir was not making poo poo up when she was insisting she wanted to take Historia to titan village in order to atone for something. Finally, this would mean Historia is only partially important at all because those living within the walls could simply go out, find the titan village people (Reiner and Bert leave big tracks) and suck some information out of them via happy torture fun time.

If we assume the titan village people don't know the wall cult secrets, then sure, she's super important to both sides, but it brings up the question of what Bert and Reiner are so afraid of for the humans living within the walls. Since they only just found out about the titan walls, they're referring to some other apocalyptic event happening. Does Historia's knowledge even matter if they think the walled lands are hosed anyway? And was Ymir lying about needing Christa for anything other than hugs and kisses?

This is the mercurial situation of Historia's importance which I was trying to refer to in too few words. Now that it's all out there, thoughts?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

coordinate/coordinator.
OH. GODDAMMIT. That makes so much sense that it's a mis-translation and all along they meant coordinator. I shoulda known. This is what I get for finally reading Manga after so many years.

So the thing that stands out to me is Ymir saying she's been a titan for 60 years and that outside the walls it's "not so bad." Meaning the human-titans actually want to live outside the walls, not within. Meanwhile, they all have some kind of selective memory loss because Reiner and Bert, despite knowing where "home" is and what it means to be "a warrior" aren't really sure why they're doing what they did (kill all humans) but feel some need to do so anyway. Then there's monkey man who knows very little about humans in general and what they're up to. Then there are the titans who don't know what from what because they just recently transformed. So, here's what I'm gathering from all this.

Oh, I apologize if this stuff has been said a dozen times over. Writing it down and organizing it like this helps me work through and speculate based on what I know. Plus it helps to have you guys tell me if I'm wrong about anything.

• Monkey man is the cause, part of the group that caused, or working for the group that caused titans to exist in the first place. That group (likely human, mind you, as we can see titans are created via chemicals thanks to the one cut-scene with Eren's dad) doesn't live in Reiner/Bert's village and has been away from the walled-humans for a century. This is definitely a party unrelated to Reiner/Bert, the Wall Cult, and other walled humans. They also speak a different language from the walled humans.
  • The newly-formed titans can just as easily create aberrants who sometimes do or don't last outside the walls. The only reason we've seen the ones we do, and the reason they're so much more deadly, is because they lasted outside the walls. Thus, we see the poorer, more likely to get killed aberrants when we get the side story of the titan who talked, Connie's mom who said welcome back, the little titan who didn't follow monkey man's commands, and the little one who attacked another titan. They were all aberrants.
  • Another form of aberrant are the high-will titans. Aka the human-titans. These are the ones who can fight off a dozen other titans, have special abilities, probably created the walls, but also gently caress up the humans. These guys are humans who, when transformed into titans, had such a high will, they were able to eventually fight off their transformation and become human again.
  • High-will titans are probably well known to wall cultists or some other secret society and have been kept out of human society. Thus they're forced to their "village" outside the wall. That village is probably protected by other high-will titans. Perhaps they've been raised to believe that inside-the-wall humans are terrible people who all deserve to die, simply because they kept the villagers out. They also know that there's a coordinator high-will titan out there that could keep their village safe forever and they'd never have to worry about fighting them off. They probably also knew that high-will titan lived within the walls and the only way to expose him was to try to kill off the humans. However, I'm thinking their selective memory made them forget that fact by the time Eren exposed his true self, all they had left was the memory that they needed to kill humans, find a coordinator with the assumption that wall cultists knew who it was, and get home.
  • Another reason I think selective memory loss is super important here is because of how often we're given the "why am I remembering this now?" line from various characters during important experiences in their lives. Not because it's related to the memory loss but rather because it's such an important motif to the overall story. It's there to give flashbacks but every character who has it says "why am I remembering this now?" which ought to make a parallel when the high-will titans begin to remember important things about their past, thus revealing things like what happened to Eren's dad and how/why Reiner and Bert began their journey of the Warrior.
  • BTW Reiner and Bert are warriors because the other high-will titans of their village are probably lame-rear end titans who can't fight very well because they're tiny or weak in some way. They probably used to defend their village and were fed up with having to do so. It was during this defense that Ymir probably ate their colleague (she was too fast for them to detect in time) and their transformation was what kept them alive from her. Speaking of which...
  • Ymir is like a nomad high-will titan who couldn't be reined in for the village. Thus why she probably actually does need Historia, she wants to use her as an apology so she can live in the village.

At least, that's what I think. I'd expect at least two or three twists on these facts somewhere down the line.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Saagonsa posted:

Wait, what? I must have missed it, when was this said?
I think trucutru may be referencing the "they're merging!" line from the anime which I don't think is in the manga at all. Eren wanted to eat/merge with Annie and it's possible that doing so helped him gain the ability to create hard surfaces which in the Manga they suddenly believe he can do? That's the only logic I can make out of it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

quote:

Once you reach the basement, the "power" ought to prove useful. Their memories should teach you how to use it.
Memory motif again. It's almost like Big O is getting cribbed a little bit. You just know that the general walled populace is either memory wiped or memory modified. It makes no sense that it only took 100 years for a book about oceans and deserts to become "prohibited material." No reason and no way that the previous generation, which saw the origin of the walls or the initial migration into them, could keep such information from the very next generation.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 20, 2013

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Captain Backslap posted:

It could just be a huge rock that was always there. Those things exist.
This is how it sounded in the anime and how it read in the manga. It was a rock that had been there since the town was erected and after the first Titan attack, it was seen as a possible way to permanently block the gate in case the government won out against the scouts and decided, hey, let's not bother with gates and just permanently close everything. However, during the talks about using it, they discovered that there was probably no technological way to do it at this point in time. Before the initial Titan attack, it was just a huge rock that got in the way.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

flowinprose posted:

So I had a thought. What if there are other walled cities/countries similar to the one we have seen so far (encompassed by Wall Maria). Anyone seen the recent film Oblivion?
I originally thought that one twist would be the titans were sent by a larger group of disparate society that needed the resources the walls were surrounding, as I thought the "here are the available resource-rich areas inside the walls" infographic was rather Chekov's gun-ish. An Oblivion-like idea that there were a ton of city-states out there seemed like an equally interesting idea but when someone put up that graphic of how big the "city-state" actually is, that seems less likely on any large/interesting scale. Would be less surprised if there was just 1 other one out there, though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

At the very least, there's gotta be a "this is the year 2500" twist which explains why the tech inside the 3DMG and other equipment is a "black box" full of secrets.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

"It's Mikasa's fault for taking her eyes away from the prey!"

Woah. Was Sasha always this cold / ruthless?

Yes, actually. Her origin story clearly shows she is an absolute bad rear end hunter. Talking about enemies like they are prey seems like a natural thing for her.

Syrant posted:

I'm still wondering what the hell that was about, myself. :psyduck:
The guy was a creep who tried to feel up a girl against her will. They are continuing the idea that he is a creep by saying he's also an idiot who thinks that feeling up Armin has turned him gay. Think of it as justice for the character. You wanted him to pay for being a creep so he's getting the justice he deserves; he thinks his life is over. Obviously being gay is not a life ending experience and obviously "turning" gay doesn't happen by doing what he did - thus he also looks like a complete idiot. It was a dumb and useless thing to put in but that's what it is and now we have to all deal with it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 8, 2014

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

change my name posted:

I don't even get their plan; so they want Eren to harden in the wall's gap, sure. But how is he going to get out again?
Annie's abilities allowed certain parts of her titan to harden. All Eren needs to do is throw his big booty into the gap, harden, and pop out of his titan form. This doesn't account for "the titan falls apart when you get out" and "the hardening necessary is the same type that's currently encasing Annie" but that kinda poo poo is easy to write off.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Wili posted:

New Spoof on Titan!

This one is super adorab- Oh. Oh.

:negative:
How do I look at all of the previous ones? This reader is... strange.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Thoren posted:

Left arrow.
Um, no, I mean read the other 10.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So I just caught up and will probably have some more questions but for now the one that's bugging me is... do we know what the 9th titan is?
Attack and Founding/Coordinate are Eren
Colossal is Armin
Armored is Reiner
???-1 is Galliard, whose brother was eaten by...
Area/???-2 as Ymir (This is ??? because that may be a mistranslation. It's the first time we hear what Titan she is, after all, and Coordinate was a mistranslation, right?)
Beast is Zeke
Female is Annie

Did I miss anything? Think maybe the 9th is the flying titan that guy speculates about?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Ah, Mule was so animalistic I just assumed it was Zeke controlling a rando with spinal fluid. Also forgot that they actually did name Jaw. Thanks for the answer!
Edit: Seeing as there's some confusion about who Ymir is, the guy who is currently the Jaw titan calls her the Area titan, so I don't think she is the Jaw titan.

Schwarzwald posted:

I thought so too, but they actually introduce her in the latest chapter. She's the woman walking with crutches.
THAT makes even more sense, since I had no idea wtf she was there for. Thanks for the further clarification!

Well at this point I guess my only other question is... what is Zeke's secret butt wiping technique?!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 22, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

Not sure what translation you're reading, the Crunchyroll translation of the chapter is pretty explicit about Galliard getting the Jaws titan from Ymir.
A bad translation, I guess!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, that was the other thing. Armin was crispy-fried to a delicious golden brown in a matter of seconds, and THEN fell a hundred feet onto a roof. The flash-frying alone would kill literally any normal human, which Armin was at the time, whether from sheer shock or severe burning of the lungs(I believe it mentions his lungs getting hosed up, even). You don't get seared to perfection to the point where all your hair and clothes burn off and your lungs get poached and survive without IMMEDIATE medical treatment, and even then I'd say it's a tossup. And then he fell a hundred feet onto a roof, which again would kill basically anyone. This is a series where people have, generally, fairly realistically suffered physical consequences of things like slamming into a building at full speed from their 3DM Gear just completely wrecking them, or where Reiner tried to block Mikasa's sword and his arm got bisected lengthwise. Armin's insane injuries and surviving while they debated who to save rather than just jamming it in him immediately upon finding him(which might've been excusable) was just plain poorly done and one of the bigger gaffes of the series to me.
Keep in mind, though, that this is a series where people rarely insta-die, just as they rarely do in real life. More often than not people will be ripped limb from limb and still be screaming at the top of their lungs. Humans are very resilient in this series and they are in real life as well. Nobody instantly dies when they're shot in the gut (despite most of Hollywood thinking otherwise) just as Armin wouldn't instantly die from falling and burning. He was mere minutes from death, as he should be.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

flowinprose posted:

Armin was objectively dropped from a height that no person would be expected to survive. On top of that he was burnt to a crisp. It was patently absurd that he was still alive.
"He should be dead" is a phrase used enough in real life occurrences that survivability of strange consequences doesn't really bother me anymore.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

It was weird watching the latest episode while being caught up on the manga. When Reiner talks about getting a promotion I totally thought he was talking about in the Marley army. I totally forgot it was a part of him breaking down over his split lives and PSTD.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I don't even see why that means he's definitely crazy to the other characters. He could have meant that. If he'd said ""I wonder if Commander Darius Zachary himself puts a medal on my chest" then sure, he's nuts, but surely Eren can imagine there's some kind of rank hierarchy in the mysterious Hometown military.
The only thing that throws it off is Bert's demeanor, which I assume is why Eren assumed PTSD poo poo was happening. Though before they started talking about it, I figured Bert's demeanor was because he knows the Children of Ymir can't actually gain ranks or something weird like that.

Hey also since the manga I was reading had a poor translation and it turns out Ymir was the Jaw titan then that means she was eaten offscreen and her letter to Christa is the last we'll ever hear from her, huh? At least until we get more memories from the current Jaw titan. Though to be honest I'm still a little thrown by the fact Ymir didn't actually have a different look pre and post eating the Jaw titan human. Like, if everyone has a specific thing they look like when they go titan, whether it's one of the 9 or not, does that mean Armin isn't going to be huge after eating Bert? But people act like each titan is a specific kind and whoever inherits a specific kind will get its special power. So Armin should now go huge but Ymir should've had weird jaw poo poo going on... right?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 28, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Astro Ambulance posted:

Ymir actually did have a different look pre- and post-Jaw. Once she has it, her titan form is significantly more muscular, and her teeth got all sharp.

Yeah I guess she did get some muscle and that was it. The bloodline thing makes more sense but then that makes it all the funnier that Ymir, despite being put in such a position of reverence to the Eldians, was never actually royal at all.

RatHat posted:

He was touching the smiley titan that ate his mom, which turned out to be Grisha's former wife, and of royal blood.
Which is one of the biggest, most annoyingly craziest and unlikely coincidences in this entire freaking story. You guys complain about Armin falling 100 feet while burnt to a crisp and surviving, this is way worse. I hope it's explained that there are still base instincts of the humanity inside the titan and that she actually had Grisha's scent in mind and has been following it around. That would make sense when you consider how titans always seem to sniff humans out and you can pretty much never hide from them.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 29, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

How does Luke find Yoda on an entire planet? How does Madoka run into Hitomi across an entire city? Why does Neo get picked up by Morpheus before the agents, and why does he accidentally unshackle the one program that could destroy the whole matrix? Why does the One Ring fall into the hands of the one person who could resist its influence?

Fiction is kind of dependent on improbable events all aligning in its setting.
The force. No idea who Madoka and Hitomi are. Because the Oracle can read The Matrix and explained it to Morpheus. Isn't a coincidence and not sure why is even in this list. The ring went through a few different hands before it found Frodo and even then Frodo couldn't resist it in the end so isn't a coincidence.

The problem isn't just that Grisha's ex found Grisha's residence and wife, it's that she was also a part of the party of Titans which chased after Eren. One of them alone is fine but both of them combined is ridiculous.

Conspiratiorist posted:

That is it, though.

Titans both a) have a built-in human radar, and b) retain some measure of human sapience and memories, enough that they sometimes talk (Connie's mom) or outright betray their titan instincts to do really weird poo poo (Ymir's priest).
Right but specific-human radar? Like, ability to sniff out just one specific person? This would be the only time a mindless titan could do it.

Okay, whatever, I'm still confused about something concerning titan transformation and their classes and whatnot.
Does royal blood make you take on the full characteristics of your class of titan?
See, I did the comparison of Ymir above and then I went back and checked out Eren pre-Attack Titan.

Which was only 3 years prior to him transforming again into the Attack Titan, which is way taller and muscular.
So... is his Attack Titan form not the "true" form of the titan? Does royal blood only matter for the Founder titan? Are these questions still up in the air or am I just mixing things up? I'm mainly confused because it's not like Bert or Reiner were royal. I really don't get how royal blood matters in any of this. Hell, what happens if a male titan eats the female titan? I'm gonna go with "I'm overthinking how titan classes work" here.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 30, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

The form of the 9 titans seem to be very similar among a specific type(Though not identical. Owl, Grisha, and Eren's Attack Titan forms are all a bit different). And yeah the bloodline stuff hasn't been explained yet. It seems specific bloodlines are better/worse for specific titans and royal blood does seem to unlock new abilities in the non-founder titans(at least for the Beast titan) but that's about all we know. But you don't necessarily need to be special to inherit one of the 9, like with Eren and Armin for example. Maybe Ymir had a bloodline that was "tainted" with non-Eldian blood(which would be quite ironic considering people were worshiping her).
Thank you for this. I'm glad my confusion isn't just me mixing up details and bad translations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'm pretty sure the whole "it was 60 years ago" thing throws enough heat off of where Ymir's hometown is that anime-only watchers can't really guess anything correctly. It also helped that the priest insisting that Ymir was the one who came to them claiming to have king blood looked as though he was wearing Wall Religion regalia. Hell, he looked like Hange's favorite wall religion pal. Whole thing is still a confusing mess for anime-only folks.

That said, I kinda wonder if they're now trying to make the anime enjoyable for manga readers and not just anime-only watchers. The fact that they explained how she snuck up on Bert and Ernie, the fact that we got so much of her story mere months after the manga did the same stuff, it's really satisfying. The anime lent Ymir a better farewell to her fans in this episode than the manga ever did.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I still go back to the game on occasion because it's just so loving fun to play.
When you consider the type of game it is and who made it, you shouldn't expect much from the "story" though. That game is purely fun gameplay.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Eren is the little rageball that could, so he's the realest hero in my eyes.
This. The whole point of Eren is that he's only-sorta good at everything and gets by primarily on his revenge boner that was raging before he even had a legitimate reason to have a revenge boner. In this season he kills his first titan as a human and wants to do a jig for it. It's adorable. He's the hero and Marley are obviously supposed to be Nazis for him to defeat. Eldians are going to be uplifted, Marley defeated, blah blah blah they launch a rocket that releases titan formula into the atmosphere and everyone turns into a titan, the end!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Said the character who has literally no idea what's going on in the rest of the world. I'm sure he'll change his tune once he understands what's up.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to Eren's whole story being the most elaborate Villain's Origin Story ever made.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 10, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Seeing this bloodline chatter makes me feel way better about the post I made a little while ago about my confusion over how taking on titan forms actually worked... mainly because this means I didn't misunderstand too much of the complexities of the plot, considering I've been reading in spurts over the past couple years and can't keep all of the info together. I still have no idea what storylines took place in some of the "arcs" you guys talk about.

Nina posted:

Wow I didn't expect the timeskip to be this long. I can't wait for it to get back to the island now to see the changes
Considering the suspicion that we've seen Eren, I don't think we're going back to the island for a while and it's entirely possible we don't ever go back. They allude to the idea that for 4 years they've sent ships and the ships have been destroyed but I think it's just as possible Eren and Armin have been picking them up, shaking people out, and hoarding the ships for themselves.... while also interrogating the crews to understand Marley better.
Thinking on it even further, Marley knows about the equipment the Paradisi (is that what we're calling them?) developed in order to kill titans, so when you consider the idea that they could provide those titans to the Eldian holdouts that Marley is currently fighting (I'm getting that right, right? That circular city/base were Eldians?) then that's a fun time for Marley to get scared of.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 10, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

E-flat posted:

That was a misprint Isayama actually apologized about. He just has to touch a titanized Fritz, not consume.
That's a loving crazy-rear end giant misprint that will gently caress people up if they don't read fixed versions or see the news anywhere. drat.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'm just of the assumption that because we've only seen the power once and it's as weirdly ethereal as "just touch someone" instead of "eat someone" or "get injected with something" we simply don't have enough explanation to really understand how that particular power, bloodlines, and the importance of the founder titan really work. It could be it's just lingering but it could also have to do with "life force" or "energy" or just plain tiredness in the same way that Eren could only ever stay in titan form temporarily until he practiced.

Also, gently caress, if the next season is coming next year, I really hope it's done with as much love and attention as the first two seasons and not just "we gave it to a cheaper studio" or "we scrounged up just enough funds" and it ends up being filler-like animation or content. Wasn't everyone insisting that the studio was already too busy to do this anime in time for a 2018 3rd season?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Has there been any discussion here over why they show the animals and their hearts during the opening of Season 2? I mean, they littered spoiler graphics all over the opening and closing that anime-only viewers wouldn't understand, same as Season 1, and with explaining some things about Ymir that we hadn't known before, it's obvious they aren't afraid to reveal new information in the anime that manga readers wouldn't know. Makes me wonder if the animal heart stuff is a hint at something readers don't know yet.

Raxivace posted:

Finished the anime the other day, and am finally caught up with the manga again. I think the story starts really getting really hit or miss once the civil war stuff started, and the reveal of what was in the basement was a bit disappointing to me, though I'm enjoying the recent focus on post-timeskip Reiner's character. The timeskip in general adds a bit of the mystery back that I initially enjoyed from the story.
Yeah my problem with the basement reveal is that it took so long to get to, it gave you enough time to speculate something close to what was revealed. I think the time skip is a way better reveal, letting us in on so much about how Marley operates. It probably would have played out better to have the basement reveal but leave out some key information about the presiding king and then have the uprising arc and use it to reveal said key information.
gently caress I can't even remember what the uprising arc revealed other than Historia is the true Queen and Levi came from the underground city.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 20, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Philip Rivers posted:

And I'm still furious about Ymir what the gently caress
Thanks to me reading a lovely translation, I actually didn't know she was eaten until I had it explained in here that the "area titan" translation I read was incorrect and it was supposed to be "jaw titan." So, you know, at least you didn't get the actual punchline of that story through reading a forum post.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

The anti-titan technology that is from inside the walls is vastly superior to even modern day technology in many respects. The grappling hook jetpacks and explosive piledrivers are crazy advanced for the time period, don't downplay their technological advancement, or reiner not understanding their purpose until it was too late.
When you consider how much they thickly lay on the "how this works is top secret information" stuff through all those early explanations of the gear, yeah, there is some twist to anti-titan tech that still hasn't been revealed. I suspect there's eventually going to be something even bigger than the basement reveal and it's related to that top secret stuff. My bet is it's in relation to the memory-wipe.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I love the shot of Reiner and gang huddled together so close by to Eren and gang doing the same. I wonder if they'll do more with the Armin/Bert, Mikasa/Annie, Eren/Reiner dynamic, though not much else than what's been done is necessary.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

So, Rick and Morty this week...

I fuckin watched this and did not make the connection to AoT at all but hot drat if that isn't probably a reference.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Dias posted:

I don't wanna open that particular can of worms
Whoops! ;)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

galagazombie posted:

I think the whole upside-down Africa thing was just a shortcut in the mode of "I need a map, I'll just flip one and fudge the coastlines a bit" not a planet of the apes twist.
Considering how much detail went into some of the intentional hints and clues early on for things that would be revealed much later... no. There is not a moment where the artist decided to flippantly grab an Earth map and fudge it.

That said... does Madagascar actually have an abundance natural resources?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Can someone explain to me wtf that scene with the cart titan lady hugging that dude was all about?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

If she recognized fancy beard guy, she might've done it to get a message out.
Okay, that's what I thought, I just didn't get the context around it since I didn't recognize any of those characters. Makes sense, thanks all!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

... Taybars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I've never heard of the word "cour" until it was typed 3 times alone on this page. What is going on? (Google quickly explained the word, I don't need a definition... just wondering why I've never seen it until just this page.)