Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I really like the idea and the general story, but I don't know how you guys keep track of all the different characters, month to month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm going with the titans being the result of some sort of zombie disease. Perhaps the walls were originally built more as a quarantine than as a defense. I imagine this is one of the church's bug secrets. You'll notice that all human remains of people killed by titans are burned and it's pretty unlikely for someone to live through a Titan bite.

The human controlled titans may just be people that have a natural immunity and are sore about their ancestors being shunned beyond the walls.

That village obviously suddenly transformed even if the cause is unclear. It could be the hairy Titan purposely infecting them somehow.

Still not really clear how the titans in the wall tie in.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Urdnot Fire posted:

Except that this happened a couple chapters ago. Aside from that, very interesting theory.

I'm pretty sure that's the first time we've seen it happen. It's always possible the titans were a deliberate creation to advance humanity before it all went out of control.

It's important to note that the wall titan appears to be alive and conscious (looked like it's eye moved). Presumably sunlight hitting it would cause it to freak out or something. I imagine getting that many volunteers would be pretty hard so they must have had some way of controlling titans and forcing them into the walls.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Eiba posted:

Eren's dad, or rather the 50m titan (probably Eren's dad), wasn't actually the one that broke a hole in the wall down the "armored titan" was the one that burst through the gate. It's not as obvious, as the armored titan isn't nearly so distinct looking, and I forgot about it until I reread it, but it's almost the more important of the two titans that attacked at the beginning.

The big one kicked in the first wall inti the city. The armored Titan smashed the second wall to get into the big area behind it.

Didn't it make a second hole as well? The one they plugged with the rock.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think they have controls in their sword handles. One of the between chapter things has a bit about how they work and focuses mainly on shifting your weight around. I don't think we're supposed to be thinking too hard about it.

I think the biggest problem is how they retract the hooks back to fire them again. It's not like spiderman where they can just keep shooting out new ones.

Looking back through it, I had forgotten the bit about Titans usually stopping without sunlight. It's strange they don't take more advantage of that. Obviously you can't ride all over the place in the middle of the night, but you could clear out the cities without much trouble. Or any hanging around the wall.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm pretty sure they describe it as being rare but they don't really make a big deal out of it like they are the very first.

It could be as simple as she didn't like seeing them being tortured for the experiments.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I still think her experiment logs say something like "catching titans is difficult so this is a rare opportunity." not "Holy poo poo this has never happened before"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There's definitely a river that runs from the capital through Eren's town. You could probably do a lot better by boat than horses.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
If the titans wanted to kill everyone they would have by now. They've shown it's pretty easy for them to kick in the gates or climb the walls. They can even generate more titans in secure areas. They must be pushing for something besides the complete destruction of the human race.

There was a bit a while back about how the world was almost destroyed by war. It's possible the titans were being used as weapons, basically biological mechs. They used Titan tech to build the walls. At some point the standards for making titans started slipping or maybe it was a new form of attack. Either way the result was feral titans showing up and attacking everything.

The government hid their involvement and decided to ride it out in the cities. But somewhere there's another city state that's still sending over piloted titans. The hairy Titan especially seems to fit this. He wasn't 100% sure they spoke the same language so it makes sense he's from another country. And he was oddly interested in the 3D maneuver gear.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 22, 2012

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The neck might just act as a sort of biological command center. With no pilot it still runs on it's own but the whole thing falls apart if its destroyed.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
As soon as I saw someone saying "Yay my first kill as a scout!!" I was 90% sure he was going to get eaten in the next panel.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm assuming that as a smaller titian, her real body is taking up a lot more room inside it. The way they were ripping into the titan body, it makes sense she could have lost a limb or 2.

I want to return to my theory that titanness can be spread by bites. We've seen exactly one guy get bit and survive, and already he's acting strangely.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Eh, if Titanism is caused by a disease, I don't think it'd be spread by biting. The scouting legion has come back with all sorts of injuries, it's a stretch to assume no one ever got saved, while being in the process of being bitten, by a teammate.

Actually, maybe if they did the secret society that's obviously attached to the church took them in and trained them as titan pilots. This is the best series when it comes to rampant speculation.

We see a lot of injured people but it would be really rare for someone to get a hand or something bitten off and not bleed to death by the time they got him home. The only survivor we've seen was an exceptionally small titan. It was basically just a really big guy. Injuries we saw could easily be explained by, crushing, being slapped out of the air and other swinging accidents.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
When Ymir first transforms, Ryner says something like "it's the Titan from your village. " at the time it looks like Ymir wandered into their village in Titan form at some point and started eating people. But what does it mean if they were all titans themselves?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'd prefer the "create a common enemy" idea that was mentioned like a year ago. It's not super orginal either but it's a lot better.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Attack OF the Titans makes way more sense.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Yeah Eren get's his face hosed up basically all the time. The first time it actually kind of seemed like he was sort of stuck in a subconscious dream world until the titan brain rebuilt itself.

I'm still not convinced that there's a full on human inside each titan. I'm leaning more towards, titans being man made with the intention to be pilotable. The neck could be more like a control center that runs on auto, if it's not getting a signal from something else.

It's not really made clear how often live titans are captured. It's clearly rare but they don't seem to be treating it as a never before seen opportunity. I am willing to bet they've only ever captured the smallest titans, and that no one ever made a live capture on one big enough to fit a person the way Eren does.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Well sure it's obvious that at least some titans are made of people. I'm just not sure that there's a little guy inside still driving it the way the sentient ones do.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The old human society had a class system where whenever you needed a titan, you just grabbed a poor guy and titanized him. Then an upper class guy would step in to keep it in line. At some point things went bad and whatever causes titanism got loose and they had to move into the walls.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm not sure why'd they both with spy games if the goal was just to wipe people out. They easily could have just kicked in the rest of the gates by now.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
We don't really know when that happened. They could have been undercover and couldn't give away the fact that titans can transform to possible witnesses.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

RatHat posted:

Yeah, the girl had short black hair and freckles, which is probably enough of a similarity to make a titan mistake her as Ymir. The thing is though, that means the Titan knew Ymir had a human form, and I guess didn't consider her a traitor considering the titan didn't attack the girl immediately. Does that mean the feral titans have sent in spies? But the hairy titan didn't know anything about the 3D-gear, so I guess it'd be ANOTHER faction? Man there are a lot of factions in this. Military, Church, Human-Titans from outside the wall, Hairy Titan, Titan-Humans....

EDIT: vvv And yeah, Ymir must be well known among the titans. Unless that particular titan just knew her, but I doubt it.

I'm still going with the idea of a giant war with piloted titans used as the ultimate weapons. Something bad happened causing thousands of feral titans. The war is largely put on hold as everyone scrambles just to survive. In Eren's city they use the last of their controlled titans to form the walls. The church takes control of the secret to prevent it from happening again.

Meanwhile in some other country, history is not quite so forgotten. The main details are fuzzy, but they know there's another country there that tried to destroy them and quite possibly they blame Eren's country for making the titans in the first place. Some event (maybe a fairly successful titan attack, or something started by the harry titan) get's them to dust off their titan tech and send some people over to knock on their gates as revenge.

I have a theory that the church in Eren's town has some sort of macguffin that can destroy/control all the titans. Annie's group is supposed to retrieve it. They didn't really want to destroy the whole country but knocking down the gates will force the church to reveal it. Eren has kind of hosed up their plans, so now they want his help.

Harry titan and possibly Ymir could be another faction from Annie's country, a mutated strain of feral titans that got smart, or really anything at this point. They could be deliberately pitting the two remaining groups of people against each other or maybe they just stumbled into the middle of all this.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Dan7el posted:

I don't understand why people don't live underground or habitats that are tightly enclosed with small tunnels. I can understand the need to farm, but that doesn't mean they need to build regular houses too. Maybe the 100 year peace made them slack? The art is okay, but Eren's expression seems to never change. At least I can tell, for the most part, what a page or scene is about -- unlike many other mangas. The creepy titans make it. Its cool how they vary in size from just barely superhuman to ginormous.

I don't see how they could build something like that, but it really would make sense for all the towns to have some sort of backup escape tunnels or shelters or something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I was just thinking of the terror that the priest was expressing of the titan in the wall. Now though you have me wondering if the priest wasn't worried so much about the titans being antagonistic towards humanity, but for everyone freaking the hell out knowing that their greatest enemy is also their savior.

I think that's part of it but he specifically mentioned not letting sunlight fall on it. It's always possible that the humans somehow captured feral titans and forced them to build the wall. Like milking venom from a snake.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think he's going to throw another horse.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Couldn't she have just straight up murdered him? Stab him and push him off the wall? No one would be doing forensics on the sea of bodies as they're bringing them to be burned.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Paracelsus posted:

God help us all if Sasha turns into a titan.

What ever happened to her anyway? Was she the one that fought off a smaller titan with a bow? Have we seen her since that happened?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Its possible that the initial plan was to get into the royal guard before transforming and really loving poo poo up. Seeing titian Eren changed things.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
You never know how much food could be stored there. It would make sense to have enough stored up to last the winter or something. If there were panic and riots that killed off most people, it's possible that a few are still living off stored rations and fish.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I don't really remember what Ymirs whole backstory is, but could there be a chance she was a wall Titan that escaped in the initial attack? Like a small one for the gate. I don't really have anything backing this up, bit I like the idea.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Sindai posted:

:v:

I had to resist the urge to post "Reiner is a tank and Bertholdt is a giant compared to everyone else" because that would probably be probation-worthy, but I guess this is subtle enough to pass.

poo poo I didn't even mean to do this. I just meant in the scene where he's helping Armin during the training hike, he's like a foot and a half taller than everyone else and the other guy is narrating how big and strong he is. So it's funny that he's actually of fairly average size.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
They've all pretty much figured it out anyway. I don't really think anyone is going to be surprised. Eren and Annie both look and fight just like themselves.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
In all fairness to the translator, it must be hard to translate that sort of thing correctly when you don't know the reveal either.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

RatHat posted:

One thing that never made sense about the 3D gear is the grappling hooks. How are they propelled fast enough to pierce into concrete(or whatever materials the castles/buildings are made of) and even the super-hardened walls? And if they're in there well enough that they can support a human, how do they get them out afterwards?

They've shown in a few places that the hooks can open and close. So I guess they can dig in and release.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
When he goes into Titan mode he's not really 100% in control. Could he have just meant that his innate titaness would have him up and fighting. Same way he automatically grows a rib cage shield or a fork grabbing arm without really thinking about it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
When's the next issue anyway? It has to have been like a month by now.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I missed all the drama. What were they posting in the anime thread?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You know, doesn't that Titan Text on the inside covers (or wherever it was) suggest that the walls were already present when humanity arrived? It could indeed be that humanity fled the titans (or something else) over the seas and then found that walled fortress and just decided to move on in. It was never strictly intended for them, and may arguably be the worst place for humanity to be.

Not really. I think it reads more like they arrived to where the walls were prebuilt. So like it was a planned shelter that they were now retreating to.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Affi posted:

There is a fourth wall, manned by human titans like Bert and Reiner, holding back the countless hordes of Titans. The only titans the Wall Humans ever see are the dregs that get through the first line of defense. Bert and Reiner believed that if the human settlement is allowed to fall then their people no longer have to sacrifice their lives to defend it.

I really like this idea. Like just over the horizon there's another wall and then just a carpet of titans climbing over each other to get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Haha in the anime thread people are saying they need to hurry up and get to the basement already.