Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

I never knew letting everyone vote was basically communism if you think about it

That's not what Marx wrote :argh:, Stop calling Obama a Marxist you fucks. If he was, I'd like him better!

quote:

1. Abolition of property in land and application of all rents of land to public purposes.
2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.
3. Abolition of all rights of inheritance.
4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.
5. Centralisation of credit in the hands of the state, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly.
6. Centralisation of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the State.
7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the State; the bringing into cultivation of waste-lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.
8. Equal liability of all to work. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.
9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of all the distinction between town and country by a more equable distribution of the populace over the country.
10. Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children’s factory labour in its present form. Combination of education with industrial production, &c, &c.

I have some problems with Marx's philosophy, but at least I took the time to actually read his goddamn works, instead of whatever game of broken telephone this rear end in a top hat played. With the amount it's been twisted to fit Obama, it's like reading a book on loving Nostradamus prophecies.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houston Euler
Nov 5, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hat tip: Lawyers Guns and Mony blog

quote:

It's become a habit for Americans to embrace charismatic individuals without knowing anything about them. The reason could be that our nation's culture has devolved to the point where we're shallow, uninformed and more apt to esteem celebrity above patriotism. As a result, there are America-haters among us who have become rich and famous thanks to the accepting nature of the American people.

Take Park Jae-sang, also known as PSY from the PSYcho World. PSY is South Korea's very own Pee Wee Herman/pop star whose "Gangnam Style" hit is all the rage right here in the country he apparently abhors.

What's disturbing about PSY's popularity is that it says more about the star-struck American public than it does about the K-pop star. In Park's case, happily clueless, young and old alike are donning sunglasses, black and white loafers, and bow ties and dancing around "Gangnam Style" like undignified fools.

Think about it -- the "King of You Tube" phenomenon PSY is enjoying is not a new one. The pop star's meteoric rise to fame is similar to the one Barack Obama has been riding for the last five years. That's exactly how a non-vetted individual like Obama was propelled to political superstardom and ascended to the most powerful position in the world. Most Americans didn't know one blessed thing about the man when he was elected in 2008, still don't know much about him, and worst of all, when disturbing facts are revealed they couldn't care less.

Barack 'Obama Style' started just like "Gangnam Style." In 2004, a relatively unknown Illinois senator showed up at the DNC convention singing his snappy collectivist tune, and within months became a national obsession. Americans got so caught up in Obama's style that they started boogying right along with a man whose low opinion of America was obscured by an adoring media.

Recently, it was made public that over the years PSY has participated in several "anti-American" protests. In 2002, in opposition to the 37,000 U.S. troops stationed on the Korean Peninsula, PSY painted his face gold and, similar to comedian Gallagher smashing watermelons onstage, PSY, as part of his act demolished a model of a U.S. military tank.

Then, a few years later, after a South Korean missionary was executed, in a rap song entitled "Dear American" PSY expressed his feelings: "Kill those f***ing Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives/Kill those f***ing Yankees who ordered them to torture/Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers/Kill them all slowly and painfully."

Now those same "f***ing Americans" are merrily dancing "Gangnam Style" all over the place. Again, either Americans don't know about the Korean singer's anti-American rants, or if they know, they don't care. After all, we do have a President who was reelected four years after suggesting American soldiers "slowly and painfully" tortured Iraqi prisoners!

As it turns out, PSY has millions of dollars in American currency stuffed into the pockets of his tuxedo jacket. Realizing that his true feelings about the capitalist nation making him rich had been found out and fearing a backlash that could cost him his lucrative status with 'f***ing Yankees," PSY released a statement apologizing for his song "Dear American," saying in part:

As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world.

Isn't it funny how America-haters attempt to disguise their true feelings by kissing up to the U.S. military? PSY sounds eerily like Michelle "For the First Time in My Adult Lifetime, I'm Really Proud of My Country" Obama expressing post-election admiration for service members and their families.

Meanwhile, pop culture junkies remain so entranced with superficial foolishness that we have two men who should be consigned to the Cartoon Network instead enjoying unprecedented recognition. One remains at the pinnacle of political celebrity, and the other has a goofy South Korean dance tune climbing the Billboard charts.

Ironically, "Gangnam" is the name of a wealthy neighborhood in the South Korean city of Seoul where young SK's go to party. The "Gangnam Style" 'horse-dance' is PSY turning an activity typically associated with the rich into a worldwide dance craze.

Yet despite his international ode to the rich, PSY was one of the headliners at a White House Christmas special taped last night and scheduled to air on TNT. As part of the star-studded lineup, the K-pop star entertained President Obama, who has also expressed a fair share of his own anti-American opinions over the years. A group of concerned Americans actually posted a petition on the White House website requesting the controversial singer be uninvited from the President's holiday event, but the White House removed the petition.

So, with the pop star's admitted aversion to America, he was amongst likeminded friends who do know about his history of spewing human rights accusations against the United States of America and don't seem to mind. Therefore, on the Christmas in Washington special, after PSY's performance, when the camera pans to Barack Obama, no one will know absolutely sure whether or not the President's applause is for something other than the holiday season being ushered in "Gangnam Style."
Author's content: https://www.jeannie-ology.com

Houston Euler fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 11, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wait is he saying that PSY was...not mocking the rich people in the Gangnam district but rather supporting them?

hakarl
Jan 18, 2007
upbeat and funky

Glitterbomber posted:

Wait is he saying that PSY was...not mocking the rich people in the Gangnam district but rather supporting them?

No I think he's saying that PSY is this generation's Gallagher.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

hakarl posted:

No I think he's saying that PSY is this generation's Gallagher.

So in 20 years he is going to be a rightwing shitheel?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I personally can't wait for PSY Too!

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

Houston Euler posted:

PSY is South Korea's very own Pee Wee Herman/pop star whose "Gangnam Style" hit is all the rage right here in the country he apparently abhors.

Wow, this guy is certainly "with it".

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This is from a right wing rag that my parents get for free (everyone in west st. louis county gets one I guess)
http://www.newsmagazinenetwork.com/2012121028483/shame-on-who/

quote:

For some reason I thought we were different, that being from West County we have higher standards, a better moral fiber. That if it was me (and it has been me) that I would be honest and considerate enough to leave a note with my name and phone number, and even an apology. I have done this before.

How hard is it to be honest?

How hard is it to respect other people and their property?

I am disappointed that I cannot trust the community in which I choose to reside.

My daughter was at the library, in a lighted parking lot around 6-8 p.m.

Somebody has blue paint from the bumper of our car on their front passenger side bumper.

Somebody has not taught their child how to be honest; how to do the right thing. Or could it be an adult who has no morality?

Am I asking too much? Are my expectations too high?

I have taught my kids to do the right thing. Shouldn’t others do the same?

This is just a microcosm of what is wrong with society today. The dynamics of our demographic are changing daily; we should demand more from our community. It shouldn’t matter where we live, we should expect certain basic behaviors and morals.

I wonder if he thinks scary black people and hispanics in blue cars gave her kid a love tap in the parking lot. For the record, I have never seen minorities other than Asian people at the Asian center they opened there a few years ago.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Houston Euler posted:

Recently, it was made public that over the years PSY has participated in several "anti-American" protests. In 2002, in opposition to the 37,000 U.S. troops stationed on the Korean Peninsula, PSY painted his face gold and, similar to comedian Gallagher smashing watermelons onstage, PSY, as part of his act demolished a model of a U.S. military tank.

This is one of those "only the US is allowed to have a foreign policy" things. Can you imagine the poo poo storm the writer of this piece would raise if another country kept a significant military presence on US soil?

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
http://www.startribune.com/opinion/letters/183251542.html

quote:

As a 25-year member of the Minnesota Association of Public Employees (MAPE), I applaud Michigan's adoption of a right-to-work law ("Michigan passes sweeping limits on union power," Dec. 12). I have no right to "free association" in Minnesota. I am forced to belong to and pay dues to a union that does not represent my political or personal values.

Public unions in particular are the most insidious form of unionism. MAPE is "negotiating" with the very governor it helped elect with lots of union dollars. Additionally, many members of public unions have little appreciation for the burden to taxpayers in supporting our retirement, salaries and benefits, nor do they account for the economic realities of the private economy at this time.

This aside, the real issue is if unions are so great, why must people be forced to join? If unions offer legitimate benefits and add value, why can't they stand on their merits and principles? Why are they so afraid of free choice? Simple answer -- in the case of public unions, they don't add value. Primarily, they launder money for the Democratic Party. "Right to work" means the end of this stranglehold.

DEBORAH JOHNSON, ROSEMOUNT
People like this are a pretty good reason against "right to work" laws

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Only in the fevered, deluded brains of the right wingers in this country is it a terrible thing for PSY to have been critical of the US after members of its military ran down a little girl in his country and got off free and clear.

If these idiots can't figure out why the rest of the world might be pissed off at us for just going around doing whatever we want... I can't even finish that. How can people be so goddamned stupid and blind?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Borneo Jimmy posted:

I am forced to belong to and pay dues to a union that does not represent my political or personal values.

No, you are not, that's already illegal. The fees you pay as a non-member only cover your representation costs and don't go to political donations.

Feel free to use those two sentences anywhere online they may be appropriate.

hakarl
Jan 18, 2007
upbeat and funky

Walter posted:

How can people be so goddamned stupid and blind?

What are you talking about? America is a country that was ordained by God as the light of the earth and anything it does is simply His will. Why is it so hard for you to understand that everything America does is inherently good based on the fact it was done by America? I'm so sick of people apologizing for this country!

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Borneo Jimmy posted:

They negotiate with the very governor they helped elect, which does nothing for members

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
If deborah johnson of rosemount is so worried about unions not repersenting her personal or political views and she is concerned about the burden herself and her fellow fatcat govt workers put on tax payers, then why is she a government employee?

hakarl
Jan 18, 2007
upbeat and funky

Branis posted:

If deborah johnson of rosemount is so worried about unions not repersenting her personal or political views and she is concerned about the burden herself and her fellow fatcat govt workers put on tax payers, then why is she a government employee?

Because the union forced her to be one against her will. She could go work at one of those low paying no benefits no security non union jobs, but the fact that the only decent job around requires union membership only demonstrates how she would be better off without the union. Jeez.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Branis posted:

Self loathing union members are everywhere. The local school district has one of the shittiest CBAs I've ever seen (all teachers are fired then rehired every year to reset their seniority and avoid giving people tenure, any decently written CBA would have this loophole patched out by allowing seniority to accrue after seasonal layoffs) in part because the teachers are right wing and loathe the NEA.
edit: Did some poking around, apparently the NEA that "represents" teachers at this district is headed by local principals and school district officials, locking the Missouri NEA out.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 14, 2012

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I worked at UPS for 3 and half years at a location in the Philadelphia area. It was a closed shop for all below-management employees so everyone was in the teamsters. I worked with people who loathed the teamsters and how they let people who were "loving leeches" stay while they worked their rear end off. One critic was a man who without the health benefits that the teamsters negotiated for would have had probably $1 million in medical bills because of a emergency his wife had. He also took advantage of it constantly as he had a guaranteed yearly raise and had been there long enough that seniority protected him.

In conclusion, people hate unions they're in because they're ignorant.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm curious, since many people buy into the "unions don't let companies fire anyone, so employees can just slack off!" schlock: what are the productivity numbers like? Are right-to-work states more productive by that measure than states that allow closed shops?

I know numbers won't change anyone's minds because anecdotes but I'd be interested.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm curious, since many people buy into the "unions don't let companies fire anyone, so employees can just slack off!" schlock: what are the productivity numbers like? Are right-to-work states more productive by that measure than states that allow closed shops?

I know numbers won't change anyone's minds because anecdotes but I'd be interested.

Unions don't prevent people from being fired. From a policy standpoint, all we do is make sure that due process is followed by management in firing. If your manager is too much of a spineless/apathetic idiot to fire someone it is hardly the union's fault. Many times we would be called into meetings after the worker was fired without due process to negotiate a settlement for breaking a private, freely negotiated contract of labor.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Peven Stan posted:

Unions don't prevent people from being fired. From a policy standpoint, all we do is make sure that due process is followed by management in firing. If your manager is too much of a spineless/apathetic idiot to fire someone it is hardly the union's fault. Many times we would be called into meetings after the worker was fired without due process to negotiate a settlement for breaking a private, freely negotiated contract of labor.
Oh I know, but people still buy into the lies after you tell them that, because they all know (they don't) some union shop where people slack off all the time.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Borneo Jimmy posted:

quote:

Public unions in particular are the most insidious form of unionism. MAPE is "negotiating" with the very governor it helped elect with lots of union dollars.

Wanted to single out this part, as I have had this argument with people before. Unions aren't the only organization that do this; businesses do this all the time. The solution to unions (and businesses) negotiating contracts and influencing laws with representatives they helped elect by financial means isn't dissolving unions, it's making campaigns and elections publicly financed at an equal level for all candidates.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Oh I know, but people still buy into the lies after you tell them that, because they all know (they don't) some union shop where people slack off all the time.

Just to give you some perspective, the company I work at fired an upper-level IT guy for saying a ton of racist poo poo during a non-harrassment seminar to be "edgy". He'd done the same poo poo the previous year and had been warned about it before the current year, so they fired him. Dude lawyered up and got a great settlement because HR hadn't kept sufficient documentation of his past actions. Now that guy 100% deserved to be fired, but people have rights, even dickheads, and unions protect those rights without you having to find some ambulance-chaser on daytime television and give him most of the settlement. If companies handle a firing correctly, poo poo like that won't happen, union or no union.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Mo_Steel posted:

The solution to unions (and businesses) negotiating contracts and influencing laws with representatives they helped elect by financial means isn't dissolving unions, it's making campaigns and elections publicly financed at an equal level for all candidates.

If this says what I think it means, then I love you. I have maintained for years on end that publicly financed elections are the solution to so many American problems but never heard anyone express the same sentiment outside of some book I read a long time ago. But it's such an unlikely prospect that nobody ever seems to agree with me.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/51861

quote:

Doing away with the most dangerous places in the United States: Gun Free Zones.
We Need Better Liberal Control!

Most people, led along by the predominantly liberal media, rarely question the facts presented to them. -Southern Papist Perspective

There is no way to take my usual humorous tone when discussing the horrific events of last week’s school shooting

But, we can certainly take some time to ridicule liberals who, predictably enough, wasted not a second in jumping on the story, shamelessly coopting it to push their worn out anti Second Amendment crusade.

Representative Jerrold Nader launched the lunacy with a demand that the president “exploit” the murders. It was mere moments before other politicians and the Hollywood cement heads quickly shared their oh-so-important views on gun control while traveling with armed guards.

If you want to baffle a liberal, ask one what an “assault weapon” actually is. They haven’t a clue. To a liberal, a revolver is an assault weapon. A Glock is a machine gun, which have been illegal for decades.

Remember Dianne Feinstein’s asinine “assault weapons” ban. She was so proud of it. Nobody else understood it. She based her description of assault weapons on cosmetic features of the guns.

What this country needs is not better gun control, it’s better liberal control.

Imagine if we quit caving into their endless bleating about guns and we instead set about doing away with the most dangerous places in the United States: Gun Free Zones.

Liberals just loved the idea of designated peace and love zones. It was like a version of a DMZ, liberal style where everyone would play nicely.

Coincidentally, the two largest gun free zones in the nation are where the mass shootings keep happening: schools and post offices, although post offices have fallen from favor as lacking the emotional impact of schools, malls and movie theaters.

Imagine hanging a sign in front of your house saying Occupant Keeps No Weapons.

We also should be getting troubled kids into appropriate psychiatric care, in patient when necessary to keep them on their meds until they are stable.

But, liberals will have none of that. It’s close to impossible to keep someone hospitalized past a 72 hour hold, thanks to the ACLU. The Newtown shooter’s mother was scared to death of her son. He needed to be confined to a mental institution and kept on the proper meds until he was stable enough to reliably take his meds and rejoin society. Liberals have made sure that couldn’t happen.

All we’re left with now is hardening the targets. We know where they are, we are going to have to put trained shooters in those idyllic Gun Free Zones. It’s the best liberal control we’ve got.

Joy Tiz, Joytiz.com, has been quoted by Ann Coulter, as heard on Lou Dobbs radio, The Rusty Humphries Show, Bill Cunningham, KSFO in San Francisco, WOR in New York, Premiere Radio Networks, Air America and other major shows.

Joy was born in Chicago, long enough ago to remember when many democrats were actually normal people who were just wrong about everything. Joy holds a M.Sc. in psychology and a JD in law. In Joy’s newest book, It’s Not Easy Being God: The Real George Soros, the author of Obamanutz: A Cult Leader Takes the White House, provides an unnerving analysis of the character of the man who thinks he’s God–radical billionaire, George Soros.

Email: joy@joytiz.com or Twitter at: Joytiz

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
"Liberals are shamelessly exploiting this tragedy to push an agenda! And I think this tragedy is a reminder of why all liberals ever are bad!"

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
What's really to blame for the tragic CT shooting? Lax gun laws? Bad parenting? Inadequate care for the mentally ill? Not enough kindergarteners with concealed-carry permits? Nope, the gays did it!

quote:

NUGENT: Connecticut killings a result of moral decay

The heart of the matter is that our Humpty Dumpty culture has taken a great fall.

Like an iceberg, we only periodically see the psychotic manifestation, the tip of our shattered culture, but what lies just beneath the surface is a gigantic cultural cancer that is rotting America from within.

The ugly and dangerous truth is that we live in an embarrassing, politically correct culture that exalts and rejoices in the bizarre; aggressively promotes an “anything goes” value system; and vilifies, condemns and mocks traditional societal values and customs at every opportunity.

We’ve embraced a culture of contempt that attacks the very institutions that make for a healthy and strong society, and then we’re shocked when it spirals out of control. The only thing I’m shocked about is that anybody is shocked.

More laws and more restrictions won’t fix our culture. The problem we face is much deeper and more insidious. What ails us is a spiritual bankruptcy of cultural values that actually matter. More laws and restrictions can’t cure that.

Until we admit what’s at the heart of the matter, we will continue to put a Band-Aid on gaping wounds and try to convince ourselves we’ve done something meaningful.

As with most things, the cure to this mess begins and ends with the family. Traditional family values have been under siege for decades by our culture of contempt. In the absence of a solid family, the whole thing slowly unravels and rots.

Our greatest fear should be that we’ll scratch around the margins by looking to government to solve the problem. With the best of intentions, our government will hold commissions, write lengthy reports and pass a new law or two. Like we always do, we’ll then move along, convinced that we’ve done good and pretending we actually accomplished something.

Meanwhile, somewhere in America, another bug-eyed young man is planning the next massacre.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I consider Nugent to be equivalent to Ann Coulter at this point, honestly. I don't think either of them seriously buy into the bile they spew, they just want the attention (and paycheck) that comes with saying controversial poo poo.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

What's really to blame for the tragic CT shooting? Lax gun laws? Bad parenting? Inadequate care for the mentally ill? Not enough kindergarteners with concealed-carry permits? Nope, the gays did it!

There isn't an irony meter big enough for Ted Nugent to be talking about family values.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Armyman25 posted:

There isn't an irony meter big enough for Ted Nugent to be talking about family values.

Why would anyone think that?

quote:

n 1978, Nugent began a relationship with seventeen-year-old Hawaii native Pele Massa. Due to the age difference they could not marry so Nugent joined Massa's parents in signing documents to make himself her legal guardian, an arrangement that Spin magazine ranked in October 2000 as #63 on their list of the "100 Sleaziest Moments in Rock".

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

bad day posted:

If this says what I think it means, then I love you. I have maintained for years on end that publicly financed elections are the solution to so many American problems but never heard anyone express the same sentiment outside of some book I read a long time ago. But it's such an unlikely prospect that nobody ever seems to agree with me.

I mean it makes the most logical sense to me; make it so that every candidate who clears a certain number of signatures to achieve ballot access in a state receives X dollars, and have means in place to allow equal time for candidates in the media. No extra money can be spent on political activities, period. Now all candidates are on a level playing field at least as far as general exposure goes. Businesses and unions have no reason to donate to campaigns or candidates because they can't spend that money to expand their messaging capability anyway.

The only problematic aspect I've run into is how to handle outsider spending. Things like Super PACs and interest groups can run ads on whatever they want as much as they want based on the argument that money is speech. Resolving that conflict is something I haven't really worked out to a degree I'm comfortable with because it is a difficult line to tread: if I like candidate X, I can obviously speak to others in support of him. Can I write a blog in support of him? What about make up some flyers? What about if I make some yard signs for sale? Can I rent out radio time to actively discuss the candidate's ideas? What if I make a short audio clip about the candidate and buy some advertising space to play it in? It's a touchy subject to be sure, and I'm not sure where the line ought be set yet, but it seems clear to me that the abundance of money in the electoral cycle is a compromising issue.

e: One that might be worth it's own thread instead of taking over this one on editorials, once I get my thoughts set into good order on the subject.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 19, 2012

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Mo_Steel posted:

I mean it makes the most logical sense to me; make it so that every candidate who clears a certain number of signatures to achieve ballot access in a state receives X dollars, and have means in place to allow equal time for candidates in the media. No extra money can be spent on political activities, period. Now all candidates are on a level playing field at least as far as general exposure goes. Businesses and unions have no reason to donate to campaigns or candidates because they can't spend that money to expand their messaging capability anyway.

The only problematic aspect I've run into is how to handle outsider spending. Things like Super PACs and interest groups can run ads on whatever they want as much as they want based on the argument that money is speech. Resolving that conflict is something I haven't really worked out to a degree I'm comfortable with because it is a difficult line to tread: if I like candidate X, I can obviously speak to others in support of him. Can I write a blog in support of him? What about make up some flyers? What about if I make some yard signs for sale? Can I rent out radio time to actively discuss the candidate's ideas? What if I make a short audio clip about the candidate and buy some advertising space to play it in? It's a touchy subject to be sure, and I'm not sure where the line ought be set yet, but it seems clear to me that the abundance of money in the electoral cycle is a compromising issue.

e: One that might be worth it's own thread instead of taking over this one on editorials, once I get my thoughts set into good order on the subject.

It probably does deserve another thread so I won't get too into it but the argument I've seen that makes the most sense to me is that the spending limits govern the use of public airwaves, so they're less a speech thing and more a means to speak thing.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I don't buy the argument that money is speech. Money is money, and its effects can be quite different from speech. If I give an impassioned speech to my congressman on behalf of some pet issue, I may or may not convince him to help me. If I give him money for support of that pet issue, it's called bribery.

Still, if not for the distorting effects of large amounts of money, I'd be cool with people giving it to whomever they want. On principle I respect peoples' right to uphold causes in whatever way they deem fit, whether that be spending a resource like time and effort or something like cash.

We just can't ignore the distortions that cash causes when you allow democracy to go up for sale. Basically, whoever has more money gets more speech. It's not only grossly unfair, it threatens the very principles that are the foundation of our country: that each qualified citizen gets a roughly equal say in terms of electing government officials.

If I had my say in the matter, people would be allowed to print up as many flyers and signs as they wanted. Blogs or whatever are fine too. That could still cause some distortions, but it's well within the line of individual speech. Hiring ad firms on behalf of a candidate though, or millions of dollars worth of ad time? No. No no no. When you start allowing a small minority with vast resources to have a massively overstated effect on the public discourse, you are harming all those who can or will not do the same.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nathilus posted:

I don't buy the argument that money is speech. Money is money, and its effects can be quite different from speech.

Unfortunately, the U.S. Supreme Court says that it is speech and therefore it is speech and corporations have the same rights as a living, breathing person. Neither makes any sense and the contorted logic used to create these fictions is really quite amazing. At this point, to reverse these decisions, we would either have to pass constitutional amendments or get a Supreme Court that was willing to ignore precedent, which will probably never happen since its a foundation of our legal system.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

radical meme posted:

At this point, to reverse these decisions, we would either have to pass constitutional amendments or get a Supreme Court that was willing to ignore precedent, which will probably never happen since its a foundation of our legal system.

Precedent is only as important as each justice regards it. For example, Clarence Thomas basically regards precedent as wholly irrelevant.

On Citizens United, if you get Democratic control of the Presidency for 8 years after Obama, that would virtually guarantee liberal replacements for Kennedy and Scalia. At that point, a case challenging Citizens United would likely be brought, and a more liberal court would be very likely to overturn that decision.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

radical meme posted:

... and corporations have the same rights as a living, breathing person.

This has never been ruled. It's not part of the law or judicial precedent of the United States.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Well a friend just found this gem...

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/335996/newtown-answers-nro-symposium?pg=1

quote:

There was not a single adult male on the school premises when the shooting occurred. In this school of 450 students, a sizeable number of whom were undoubtedly 11- and 12-year-old boys (it was a K–6 school), all the personnel — the teachers, the principal, the assistant principal, the school psychologist, the “reading specialist” — were female. There didn’t even seem to be a male janitor to heave his bucket at Adam Lanza’s knees. Women and small children are sitting ducks for mass-murderers. The principal, Dawn Hochsprung, seemed to have performed bravely. According to reports, she activated the school’s public-address system and also lunged at Lanza, before he shot her to death. Some of the teachers managed to save all or some of their charges by rushing them into closets or bathrooms. But in general, a feminized setting is a setting in which helpless passivity is the norm. Male aggression can be a good thing, as in protecting the weak — but it has been forced out of the culture of elementary schools and the education schools that train their personnel. Think of what Sandy Hook might have been like if a couple of male teachers who had played high-school football, or even some of the huskier 12-year-old boys, had converged on Lanza.

Republicans, literally children.

Bolding mine.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Boondock Saint posted:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/335996/newtown-answers-nro-symposium?pg=1

Bolding mine.

Joementum posted:

The best/worst part of that article is that it's not even loving true that there weren't any manly, husky, burly men around.

quote:

Kevin Anzellotti, the head custodian at Sandy Hook, is a man. Theodore Varga, a fourth grade teacher, also possesses XY chromosomes. I just did the research Allen didn't do, and it took all of fourteen seconds. Beyond that, though -- why does no one who writes this way look into the circumstances of other massacres? The second person shot by Jared Loughner was Gabe Zimmerman, an aide to Gabby Giffords who, hearing the gunshot that would cripple her, turned and stepped toward Loughner. The gunman shot Zimmerman in the head. The fourth person shot by Loughner was Giffords's aide Ron Barber, who survived shots to the cheek and groin. He was saved by John Roll, who lunged at the aide and was shot fatally in the back. Loughner did all of this in less than six seconds. Grown men in good health were cut down, because bullets move faster than people do.

Her article also says that the manly men on Flight 93 were able to stop the terrorists, so why couldn't anyone stop Lanza? Yeah.

Just because this talking point has to be refuted whenever possible.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Boondock Saint posted:

Bolding mine.

Feminism has enabled mass shootings as without it 12 year old boys would otherwise have been able to attack and subdue gunmen. :stare:

No. There is no way a real person actually said this. This is something I need to believe.

I do like how we should 'think of what Sandy Hook would have looked like' if men had stepped in to save the day, rather than offering any details. Somehow I'm thinking they would probably have been shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Boondock Saint posted:

Bolding mine.

Wasn't the standard pre-sexual revolution to have unwed women as teachers so they'd have a womenfolk job but not corrupt the kids? What the gently caress?

• Locked thread