Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Apparently my high school econ class was really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

Crisis posted:

No government has the right to redefine marriage. Except for all the ones that have done so throughout history, I mean.

nonono, it's no human government. We can only allow the syndicalist lobstermen such power.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Sounds like this lunatic is already familiar with it, but I suggest you send in the complete text of the real Homosexual Agenda.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
I only have a couple hardcore conservatives on my facebook feed, but every now and then they drop a bomb like this one about the recent filibuster in the Texas senate:

crazy blogger posted:

An Open Letter to Wendy Davis
Posted on June 29, 2013 by TheMattWalshBlog
Dear Senator Wendy Davis,

Congrats! I know this is a bit belated, but I wanted to write a message of salutations and congratulations after that abortion rights filibuster you pulled off in the Texas senate this past week. The media tells me it was “historic” and “game changing” and “epic,” and I know it must have been because they only use those terms to describe, like, ten or twenty different events every day.

What a heroic performance it was. You were like Joan of Arc, Mother Teresa and Harriet Tubman, all rolled into one. Except they stood for courage, righteousness, truth, peace, and love, while you stood for the billion dollar abortion industry. They protected and defended life, while you protected and defended your right to destroy life. They faced grave danger, you face the adulation, admiration and campaign donations of the media, Hollywood, the president, pop culture, the abortion lobby and millions of Americans. The parallels are striking.

That’s why I’m writing to say “job well done.” In the midst of literally no adversity, you rose up and voiced an opinion that was sure to make you popular amongst the most powerful people in the country. How did you ever muster the courage? And let us not forget the content of your profoundly important message: That abortion clinics should not be regulated and the health and safety of its patients should not be ensured! Amen! Huzzah! So a few women die here and there due to extreme negligence and profit driven exploitation, big deal. We care about your reproductive rights, not your right to not be mutilated, injured, infected, or killed by quacks who flunked out of all legitimate medical fields and decided to perform abortions instead. This bill would have brought abortion enterprises up to snuff with every other facet of the medical industry, and required clinics to match the same standards that all other outpatient medical facilities are forced to adhere to — and that is just unacceptable. Certainly an orthodontist or a podiatrist must meet many health, safety and disclosure standards, that’s just logical. But an abortion clinic? Come on. Remember, Gosnell was unfairly and unjustly persecuted for killing hundreds of infants and at least two women, along with running a grotesquely unsanitary facility where patients were operated on with dirty medical tools and given lethal doses of drugs by untrained and unlicensed 15 year olds, while the body parts of dead babies piled up in the refrigerator and women sat on blood stained couches before being ushered into the bathroom to give birth into toilets, like these are “crimes” or something. This was all made possible for thirty years because of a total lack of regulatory oversight. Everyone in government was either too ideologically invested in abortion, or too afraid of the people who are, to do anything about these so called “horrific atrocities.” And that’s how it should be. Now, reports have circulated about Gosnell-ish clinics all across the country, including one right down there in Houston, and so we MUST make sure that there are NO laws or policies enforcing any standards of safety, hygiene and general human decency on abortion clinics — that is a burden they simply can’t be saddled with.

I mean, when women-haters babble on about imposing basic health and safety codes on abortion clinics, it makes me almost as mad as when they insist that the clinics should be forced to offer ultrasounds to their patients. What barbarians! Why should an abortion facility be required to provide information to women before taking their money and killing their kid? Ignorance and darkness, that’s the only proper environment in which to run a reputable abortion business. Again, literally all other medical fields are required by law to offer all available information to patients before performing surgical procedures, but abortionists must stay exempt from this otherwise reasonable policy!

Oh, but I mustn’t forget the most important message in your filibuster: Unborn children are expendable pieces of insignificant trash and we must never hinder society’s ability to exterminate as many of them as possible! Hell, they aren’t even “children,” they’re fetuses. Which means “offspring” in Latin, so it’s, like, totally a different thing. Hey, how did you explain to your own child that she was utterly worthless while she was in your womb? That must have been a really special moment when you had that talk with her. I know anytime my children point to a woman’s pregnant tummy and say “Look daddy, she has a baby,” I’ll make sure to correct them. “No, honey, she has a parasite that she can, and probably should, have extracted and thrown in the garbage.” The Texas bill would outlaw abortions after 20 weeks. At 20 weeks, the fetus has things like a brain, a nervous system, a heart, lungs, fingers, toes, the ability to hear his mother’s voice, the ability to dream, the ability to feel pain. But anyone who wants to protect these indisputably human creatures and stop them from being brutally butchered is clearly driven by a hatred for women or poor people or minorities or something! (Even though females, blacks, and the poor are exactly the demographics most often killed through abortions, but we are more focused on protecting their sex habits, not their very existence). During your filibuster you said, while arguing for the violent destruction of fully formed children, that you are speaking for those who have been “silenced.” Then, a crowd of fans erupted in uproarious applause. What a moment that was — a crowd of people stomping their feet and screaming for baby killing. How inspiring. It was like a scene from the Walking Dead, and I mean that in a good way, of course.

One more thing: You keep making the point that men have no right to have an opinion about abortion, and they certainly ought to have no say in whether their children live or die. Thanks for this. Please, keep trying to drive that wedge between men and women and men and their children. If there’s one thing our society needs to do, it’s stop men from caring about their families. There is just TOO much paternal involvement in society and it’s really becoming a problem. I mean, what good is it to simply turn women against their own children if we aren’t also turning them against their husbands, and disconnecting their husbands from their children? Let the message ring out: Men shouldn’t give a crap about kids! Hooray! Freedom!

Anyway, well Governor Perry will be reintroducing the bill you derailed. Stupid son of a gun just won’t get off his “we shouldn’t murder sentient human children” bandwagon. I hope you stand again and do whatever you can to stop him. Congratulations. If you are successful, more children will die as a direct result of your actions. You must be so proud.

Sincerely,

Matt Walsh

You can practically taste his fury at the fact that this woman and her ilk have defeated him. The tone is so condescending and dismissive you would think he had actually won. Also, assuming he's a Republican party supporter generally, his reference to people dying because of insufficient government regulation and to RICK loving PERRY'S overwhelming respect for life is the very definition of :irony:.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Even if you accept his premise that Davis's speech lacked honor, bravery, and courage, it still had more of those qualities than an open letter on a lovely loving blog.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

JohnClark posted:

A brave activist posted:

Remember, Gosnell was unfairly and unjustly persecuted
Yes, literally everyone is saying this.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Why are white people falling all over themselves to defend Paula Deen's racism?

This is from my local college paper, in an article titled "Culture should be forgiving"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

JohnClark posted:

I only have a couple hardcore conservatives on my facebook feed, but every now and then they drop a bomb like this one about the recent filibuster in the Texas senate:

You can practically taste his fury at the fact that this woman and her ilk have defeated him. The tone is so condescending and dismissive you would think he had actually won. Also, assuming he's a Republican party supporter generally, his reference to people dying because of insufficient government regulation and to RICK loving PERRY'S overwhelming respect for life is the very definition of :irony:.

I always have to chuckle at the whole "billion-dollar abortion industry" thing. Maybe it's different in the US but over here the procedure costs about 400€, plus maybe some extra for aftertreatment. Not exactly the big bucks, especially since not many women have an abortion more than once in their lives. By comparision, actually delivering a child can apparently quickly go into five-figure ranges if there are any complications. Yet nobody is whining about the insidious birther-mafia and their baby industry :ironicat:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea, an abortion is like $500 while having a baby can get to $20,000+ easily.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kro-Bar posted:

This is from my local college paper, in an article titled "Culture should be forgiving"

Hmmm yes that one-time slip of the tongue where she had black employees dressed like slaves for a party. Why even five years ago everyone was doing that. Who indeed are the real racists here?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kro-Bar posted:

Being a white person, I hang out with a lot of other white people, and some of the dumber ones think that the reaction in the media and her being fired from Food Network was a dramatic overreaction. White people with a brain in their head think that the reaction was appropriate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Mel Gibson, Michael Richards, Dr. Laura, Paula Deen; has there ever been one of these celebrities outed by an awkward "oh no, it turns out I've been racist my whole life" moment whose defense hasn't been a bewildered :qq:"this isn't who I aaaaaaaaam":qq:?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Mel Gibson, Michael Richards, Dr. Laura, Paula Deen; has there ever been one of these celebrities outed by an awkward "oh no, it turns out I've been racist my whole life" moment whose defense hasn't been a bewildered :qq:"this isn't who I aaaaaaaaam":qq:?

A week to a month in an residential rehab clinic seems to purge the record for whatever reason, like character flaws are a mental illness or something.

As an antidote, here's CNN being really responsible and letting Levar Burton teach us something about racism:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/01/levar-burton-explains-his-ritual-to-prevent-being-shot-by-police/

A six-member panel discussion of racism with only one white guy, and the white guy is Tim Weiss. Let's hope some future school-newspaper columnists are watching.

EDIT: It's also worth pointing out that Dr. Laura's career is dead to anyone not in the fox-news cheering section, and that Michael Richards is still in the same state of nonentity that he was on the night he let his inner bigot come skidding into the room.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Kro-Bar posted:

What animals eat their wounded? 

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jack Gladney posted:

A week to a month in an residential rehab clinic seems to purge the record for whatever reason, like character flaws are a mental illness or something.

Didn't it come out a few years back that antipsychotics take the edge off extreme racist views?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

VideoTapir posted:

Humans, apparently? I didn't catch that the first time I read the column.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

Those weird alien spider things from the Lost in Space remake.

As a side note, what's this at the end of your sentence in the quote?
code:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Probably some Asian character set thing. Sometimes I accidentally switch IMEs and things might not be entered correctly. That'd be my guess.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Humbolt squid will eat their wounded I think.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Kro-Bar posted:

He's right about one thing though: Daniel Tosh can get hosed as well.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

VideoTapir posted:

Humbolt Squid, but they'd just as happily attack you given the chance. One of the few animals I won't get in the water with.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Pixelboy posted:

Humbolt Squid, but they'd just as happily attack you given the chance. One of the few animals I won't get in the water with.

Wikipedia says they grow to almost five feet, which is frightening in a species that only lives a year.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pope Guilty posted:

Wikipedia says they grow to almost five feet, which is frightening in a species that only lives a year.

They feed on goons' fear of the ocean, which is limitless.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Cannibalism is relatively common in nature, being in insects, mammals, fish, and even birds. I've yet to see anything about it being the wounded specifically, but I cannot imagine species that eat their own having a taboo about that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism_%28zoology%29

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPY46qG1CCs

David Horowitz vs. Slavoj Zizek moderated by Julian Assange (plugging Wikileaks remorselessly).

Horowitz defends Bush, says he should have started more wars, and calls anyone who questioned him seditious.

He calls the Palestinians the closest thing to modern Nazis and denies that Hamas is a response to anything Israel has done. He goes on about "islamofascists" and fearmongers about their chemical weapons...in 2013.

Communism and leftism bad because human nature. Obama is a communist.

America is under siege by the international Left, in the guise of South American dictators; you know, people like Evo Morales.

Randian supermen are the victim of attempts at equality.

:staredog:

Caros
May 14, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

David Horowitz vs. Slavoj Zizek moderated by Julian Assange (plugging Wikileaks remorselessly).

Horowitz defends Bush, says he should have started more wars, and calls anyone who questioned him seditious.

He calls the Palestinians the closest thing to modern Nazis and denies that Hamas is a response to anything Israel has done. He goes on about "islamofascists" and fearmongers about their chemical weapons...in 2013.

America is under siege by the international Left, in the guise of South American dictators; you know, people like Evo Morales.

I do like how Assange lies like an rear end in a top hat in the intro:

"For five hundred days I've been detained without charge."

No you haven't. For five hundred days you have been hiding in an embassy because if you leave you will be arrested. You will be arrested because your native country has a warrant for your arrest for sexual assault. You haven't been charged because they haven't been able to arrest you.

I like wikileaks, but Assange is such a loving rear end in a top hat.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You're splitting that hair pretty fine, but we only really disagree about the degree to which Assange is an rear end in a top hat, I think. His self-promotion makes me a little uncomfortable.

Can we agree that Horowitz is a million times worse, though?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well of course, is it up for debate that Horowitz is a huge shitheap? He's a man in his 70's still angrily fighting his super dead parents for being commies while he was a kid. He's one of the most pathetic people in politics, left or right.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

You're splitting that hair pretty fine, but we only really disagree about the degree to which Assange is an rear end in a top hat, I think. His self-promotion makes me a little uncomfortable.

Can we agree that Horowitz is a million times worse, though?

Assange is just flat out lying though. The way that's stated is to come across as "Hey! I'm like Bradley Manning, being in prison without charges!" as opposed to "I'm Julian Assange, I've got a warrent out for sexual assault."

I mean its not like the man doesn't have the truth on his side in a lot of things. He's got a very real fear of being shipped to the US if he goes to sweeden. Maybe highlight that?

Horowitz is a huge rear end in a top hat. I normally can stomach listening to rightwing guys in a left vs right debate but with him... gently caress.

Thanks for posting that by the way.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

What a "debate." Horowitz brings up the totally irrelevant point that Senate Democrats had access to the same information about the Iraqi weapons program as the Administration with the expectation that Assange or Zizek will play his dumb partisan game and defend a nominally "leftist" party that they think is part and parcel with the larger power-system. He truly has not been exposed to any intellectual discussion outside the bubble of Washington politics.

Edible Hat fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 7, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Well of course, is it up for debate that Horowitz is a huge shitheap? He's a man in his 70's still angrily fighting his super dead parents for being commies while he was a kid. He's one of the most pathetic people in politics, left or right.

People still take him seriously, especially as more people adopt tribalism ideologies and demand that they be taken seriously.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
edit: n/m wrong person

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That he is, but if I had the choice of being stuck on a desert island with either him or Zizek it would be Horowitz without a doubt.

Actually I'd probably just drown myself.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
I'm still trying to decide if this is real or not. Printed in the Columbus Dispatch under the heading "Boom crowd was selfish and obnoxious", of all things. For context, Red White And Boom is an annual fireworks display that draws somewhere in the realm of 400,000 people to downtown Columbus.

quote:

On a day set aside to share with family and friends and to celebrate the founding and liberties afforded to us in this great nation, I can honestly say that I have never been so ashamed to be an American and a part of the human race as I was on Wednesday during Columbus' Red White & Boom festivities.

After enjoying a wonderful twilight dinner and reception on the rooftop of Mt. Carmel West overlooking this beautiful city, I started my trek home amid the revelers out to enjoy the holiday and fireworks.

Heading upstream against the current of thousands upon thousands of fellow Americans, I was purely horrified with the total lack of respect, pride, civility and basic human decency I witnessed.

There was a sea of humanity with neck tattoos, tramp stamps, screaming kids, filthy clothes and booty-shorts.

There also was a riot-like mentality within the crowd, running, pushing, screaming, cursing and shoving its way back to home or on to more chaos.

Stepping on and around what I assumed were uneaten hamburgers, the usually pristine streets of Downtown were piled with garbage, bottles, cans, uneaten food, dirty diapers and broken coolers. All were just thoughtlessly tossed aside and left for someone else, some unlucky soul to clean up. It was rude, sad and shameful, and I was truly shocked and disgusted by the hideous, raw exposure of the selfish, self-focused human spirit.

It brought to mind the old "Keep America beautiful" ad on television that featured an American Indian shedding a tear.

America the beautiful? Not so much.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 9, 2013

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Xombie posted:

I'm still trying to decide if this is real or not. Printed in the Columbus Dispatch under the heading "Boom crowd was selfish and obnoxious", of all things. For context, Red White And Boom is an annual fireworks display that draws somewhere in the realm of 400,000 people to downtown Columbus.

Has this person never gone to an event with thousands of attendees? :psyduck:

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Kro-Bar posted:

Has this person never gone to an event with thousands of attendees? :psyduck:

I turned on the radio in the car on July 3and the call in NPR afternoon show was trying to get people to talk about fireworks laws. All the callers wanted to do was talk about how fireworks are bad because they scare my pets and once I saw a father LAUGH AT HIS BABY for crying at fireworks and WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF MY CATS!!! It's like they've never left their house before.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Clipperton posted:

That he is, but if I had the choice of being stuck on a desert island with either him or Zizek it would be Horowitz without a doubt.

Actually I'd probably just drown myself.

He would drown you first. He is one rage-filled man.

Herman Melville
Jul 31, 2011
One of Canada's worst industrial disasters occurred on July 6 when a train carrying crude oil derailed and exploded in downtown Lac-Mégantic, Quebec. Up to 60 people are believed dead.

What was the cause of this catastrophe? According to oil shill columnist Ezra Levant, it was environmentalists.

Ezra Levant posted:

Is eco-terrorism to blame for the explosion and fire on the weekend in Lac-Megantic, Que.? Thomas Mulcair doesn’t think so. He thinks Stephen Harper is to blame. He says Harper has cut back on inspections of Canadian trains, so that’s why so many people were killed.

The problem with that theory, though, is Inspector Mulcair made his conclusions mere hours after the explosions, while firefighters were still working. That is, he just made it up. And then there’s the troublesome fact that in the past four years, the Conservatives have added 20 new railway inspectors and auditors to the national system, taking the number to 103. Train derailments are actually down 26% since 2007.

Well, is there any other possible explanation? The railway company itself put out a press statement stating, “the locomotive of the oil train … was shut down subsequent to the departure of the engineer … which may have resulted in the release of air brakes on the locomotive that was holding the train in place.”

In other words, after their engineer parked the train for the night, someone may have tampered with it. Ed Burkhardt, the railway chairman, said someone fiddled with the braking mechanism from both outside and inside the train.

If that’s true, who would do such a thing?

Canadian anarchists might. In fact, they did, if they’re to be believed. On June 26, an anarchist website bragged that they “disrupted” both the CN and CP mainline near Hamilton, Ont., by tampering with railway wiring. They did so out of solidarity with other protesters who had broken into a pipeline pumping station, they said. “Freight traffic is an easy target for our resistance,” they wrote.

It’s one thing for anonymous braggarts to make a claim online. It’s another to build a blockade on the train tracks and put out a press release. But that’s exactly what an extremist group in Maine did two weeks ago. They swore they’d stop trains of oil from North Dakota headed for Canada — just like the one that blew up in Lac-Megantic.

The group is called 350 Maine and they blockaded the railway into the dead of night, until police finally arrested six of them.

The actions of 350 Maine are part of a U.S. campaign that’s called Fearless Summer. In Canada it’s called Sovereignty Summer. Same tactics, same funders, same organizers. It’s “direct action” against oil companies.

Their typical tactic is violence against property and defiance of police. An exploding fireball that kills people is not in their playbook. But what if some activist thought he was simply sabotaging a train to cause it to leak oil or to fall off the rails — no risk to life — but instead it accidentally went hurtling into a town to explode? That’s the thing about industrial vandalism — it doesn’t always go as planned.

Did some overly passionate Fearless Summer activist come up from Maine to finish the job? Did some of the activists from the Enbridge pumping station go to Quebec for a project? We don’t know. Like Thomas Mulcair, we’re still guessing. But it is a public fact that the oil industry is under attack both north and south of the border and anti-oil anarchists brag about sabotaging trains.

The question for Quebec investigators is whether they’ll follow up with avowed, law-breaking enemies of oil trains — or just keep pretending they don’t exist in a country as civilized as ours.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/09/megantic-mystery-looking-for-possible-suspects-in-quebec-disaster-try-anti-oil-anarchists

"Negligence? Human error? No, it must be anarchists coming after ARE OIL PROFITS!"

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Herman Melville posted:

What was the cause of this catastrophe? According to oil shill columnist Ezra Levant, it was environmentalists.

No, several times he says "we don't know". Can't you loving read?

The fact that he then goes on about a small number of extremist environmentalists is not supposed to imply any sort of connection. That's just a common way that editorials are constructed in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Lying for Harper's Oil Profits

• Locked thread