Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

No but seriously, he should take E-1 salary, no BAH so he can get in on that all-important thrift and discipline. Set the example for your troops Sergeant Major, you've got nothing to lose but the waste and sloth of a six-figure paycheck! :patriot:

B-but my dry cleaning bill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

I think he's just thinking along the lines of "There are going to be cuts—fact. We can cut salaries, or we can cut other things, like modernized equipment, which as the USMC we are not exactly drowning in as it is. Therefore, we must cut salaries for the health of the USMC." He's sort of an ant in the colony right now (not to say he's stupid; he's clearly not), in that he's going to advocate for whatever he thinks will make the corps stronger. That doesn't mean he's right or that his idea will even be good for the USMC, but I think that's where he's coming from.

Gee, if he spoke like that he might have become the top NCO of one of the other services.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

Columbus Dispatch posted:

Abortions also take our best and brightest

I respond to the March 29 Dispatch editorial “Import more brainpower.”

All the fuss over the loss of brainpower caused by the lack of work visas for highly educated foreign students makes me wonder how much brainpower has been lost by the 50 million to 60 million abortions performed in this country in the past several years, with little or no fuss at all.

DIX BURKE

Columbus

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2014/04/16/1-abortions-take-our-best-and-brightest.html

Those poor, genius fetuses.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Yeah forget about funding or even just reforming education, teaching real science in schools, making sure every kid in America has a full belly when they go to class, making sure they have safe and secure home environment with parents who have the time to stimulate them intellectually, and reforming our higher education so that whether or not you go to college is based on ability and drive, not money or connections. Abortion is clearly what's keeping our geniuses down.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why aren't you loving everything that moves right now?! Your prudery could be depriving us of poets greater than Keats, scientists greater than Newton!
:pervert:

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Mineaiki posted:

making sure every kid in America has a full belly when they go to class

My mom gave me an earful about how terrible Michelle Obama's school lunch thing is. Her entire line of reasoning was "Kids don't like eating healthy food, so all that food and money is going to waste". I explained to her that I would rather have wasted food that kids wouldn't eat rather than kids who had no choice to eat at all.

My family was on welfare when I was growing up (including free/reduced-price lunches at school) and my mom was a member of the Communist Party in the 70s. I don't know what happened to her.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Eulogistics posted:

My mom gave me an earful about how terrible Michelle Obama's school lunch thing was. Her entire line of reasoning was "Kids don't like eating healthy food, so all that food and money is going to waste". I explained to her that I would rather have wasted food that kids wouldn't eat rather than kids who had no choice to eat at all.

My family was on welfare when I was growing up (including free/reduced-price lunches at school) and my mom was a member of the Communist Party in the 70s. I don't know what happened to her.

Block Fox News on her TV.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

socialsecurity posted:

Block Fox News on her TV.

I'm tempted to do this to the SO's parents TV but it might just force them to sit around a radio listening to right-wing crazies then tell their friends Obama broke their cable box.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Yeah, I am sure that kids born to parents who cannot or do not wish to take care of them would have, as a group, done great.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
And who knows how many Hitlers and Stalins abortion has prevented!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Even worse, how many of those babies may have grown up to be abortion doctors? Or gotten abortions themselves?

Abortion just may be our biggest preventer of abortion. :aaaaa:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mineaiki posted:

Yeah forget about funding or even just reforming education, teaching real science in schools, making sure every kid in America has a full belly when they go to class, making sure they have safe and secure home environment with parents who have the time to stimulate them intellectually, and reforming our higher education so that whether or not you go to college is based on ability and drive, not money or connections. Abortion is clearly what's keeping our geniuses down.

As I recall, one of the McCoy brothers once responded that if Abortion didn't happen, there would be no crime, hunger or poverty, because one of the fetuses would have been a supergenius who fixed all those things.

They don't think problems are solved by sacrifice or planning - there is just one special person out there who is born knowing how to fix things.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Even worse, how many of those babies may have grown up to be abortion doctors? Or gotten abortions themselves?

Abortion just may be our biggest preventer of abortion. :aaaaa:

"You're very clever, young man, very clever," said the old lady. "But it's abortions all the way down!"

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Eulogistics posted:

Like all the other boomers, the minute she or her husband started actually making money, they abandoned their leftist principles entirely. Classic FYGM.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"I didn't sell out, son. I bought in. Keep that in mind."

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Like all the other boomers, the minute she or her husband started actually making money, they abandoned their leftist principles entirely. Classic FYGM.

She is poor now, she's never been better off than lower-middle class. She takes donations from a local church group or something and works 2 crappy part-time jobs. If my little brother wasn't getting Social Security to cover his disability, she wouldn't have any money at all. She just doesn't have time to follow the news or something and believes what the retards around her tell her, I guess.

EDIT: I do appreciate the assumptions about her character though, that's classy.

Eulogistics fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 18, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
It also seems like your mom's position is that with the easy availability of junk food, programs aimed at providing healthy alternatives are wasteful, which doesn't seem like the right-wing line. I may be misinterpreting though.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Eulogistics posted:

She is poor now, she's never been better off than lower-middle class. She takes donations from a local church group or something and works 2 crappy part-time jobs. If my little brother wasn't getting Social Security to cover his disability, she wouldn't have any money at all. She just doesn't have time to follow the news or something and believes what the retards around her tell her, I guess.

EDIT: I do appreciate the assumptions about her character though, that's classy.

Forgive me for jumping to conclusions. Her story simply sounded identical to many others I've known and read about who went from commies to died-in-the-wool Republicans. It clearly isn't, of course.

In fact, she may have a point about kids refusing to eat healthy. I know there's certain periods of my childhood where I was such a picky eater that I literally skipped lunch or only ate the bread off my sandwich or whatever. I do still think a healthy lunch program is better than no lunch program at all or one in which kids are served nutritionally bankrupt garbage.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's so offensive to suggest my mom is conservative rear end in a top hat when I bitch about her saying something a conservative rear end in a top hat would say and then ask the internet why she would say that.

I mean, I'm glad she's not, but you did heavily imply that she used to be leftist and now she's not, and then asked what caused it ;)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 19, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Eulogistics posted:

Sever, your mom is a capitalist parasite-worm.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Eulogistics posted:

My mom gave me an earful about how terrible Michelle Obama's school lunch thing is. Her entire line of reasoning was "Kids don't like eating healthy food, so all that food and money is going to waste".
Michelle Obama maybe the visible figurehead, but I'm pretty sure that one chef (Olliver?) Was the one that made school lunches into a political issue a few years back.

I went to public school from 89-2001, and while I was on the school lunch program for most of it, I rarely ate what was offered... I'm reminded of the time I was messing around in high school and tossed a hamburger patty, only to have it bounce up like a superball. Back then lunches were mostly things likr chalupas, pizzas, hamburgers and fruit cups (maybe an ice cream item too).

Though, there is a lot of waste, mainly because (at least in LA) the lunch folks HAVE to Give you the whole meal -- juice or milk, vegetable, protein and fruit -- in order for them to count towards the federal subsidy. So the kid that just wants the one piece has to take all.

LA made an amazing effort two years back to rework the menu. Students received turkey with potatoes, mushroom sauce ravioli, chicken pozole, hummus pita bread, orange chicken bowls, and a host of other tasty things.

It was a complete flop because the menu didn't align with student tastes / palattes. Frankly, the high schoolers I spoke to had 'burger n fries or pizza' ingrained as a preference for a meal. The battle was over for lunch reformers before it began.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

VitalSigns posted:

It's so offensive to suggest my mom is conservative rear end in a top hat when I bitch about her saying something a conservative rear end in a top hat would say and then ask the internet why she would say that.

I mean, I'm glad she's not, but you did heavily imply that she used to be leftist and now she's not, and then asked what caused it ;)

Eh, it's pretty common to get defensive when people make attacks on your family members, even when they're charges you believe to be true and often say out loud. As someone inside the family it's fine when you say it, but if someone else says it then it feels like an outsider who doesn't know the family member in question, which feels like an attack on the family and thus the person who was originally complaining. This causes a kind of instinctual defensiveness that's not rational, but it can be a very powerful and it's why I never lay into a family member someone else is complaining about.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

As I recall, one of the McCoy brothers once responded that if Abortion didn't happen, there would be no crime, hunger or poverty, because one of the fetuses would have been a supergenius who fixed all those things.

They don't think problems are solved by sacrifice or planning - there is just one special person out there who is born knowing how to fix things.

Isn't one of the stories in Freakonomics about how Roe-Wade in America legalizing abortion dropped our crime rate 20 years later?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

phosdex posted:

Isn't one of the stories in Freakonomics about how Roe-Wade in America legalizing abortion dropped our crime rate 20 years later?

Yes. However, a lot of research points to something else causing the drop off instead. Mainly the discontinuation of leaded gasoline.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

rkajdi posted:

Yes. However, a lot of research points to something else causing the drop off instead. Mainly the discontinuation of leaded gasoline.
I thought it was primarily lead paint?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Lead in general isn't good for you, but the gasoline is usually what got in the air.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I was under the impression that no one is entirely certain what has caused the violent crime drop, with leaded gasoline and abortion just being floated theories.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Really, they are the same issue--lead levels seem directly linked to criminal behavior. So much for all those free will types. But lead paint hasn't really been removed to the extent that leaded gasoline has. While both aren't made anymore, it's much easier to find lead paint chips for kids to eat than lead fumes from gasoline, at least in the free world.

I used to be a big fan of the Freakonomics theory, especially since it gave such a nice retort to anti-choicers ("So which are you, pro-poverty or pro-crime :smug:") But it doesn't seem to be supported by the evidence, and also deflects the issue into cost/benefit analysis for society, rather than the simple issue of body/sex rights that abortion actually is.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1stGear posted:

I was under the impression that no one is entirely certain what has caused the violent crime drop, with leaded gasoline and abortion just being floated theories.

You can play the correlation/causation card on it pretty hard, but you see the crime drop in many western societies at about the same delay from when leaded gasoline was banned in that country. The only reason I can see getting push back on it is free will types getting bent around the axle about behavior actually being dictated by genetics and environment, versus whatever soul or free will entity they think causes it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The freakonomics theory always sounded pretty hardcore (though not intentionally) racist/classist to me. Especially since 'overpopulation' isn't an issue with developed economies but the opposite.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Berke Negri posted:

The freakonomics theory always sounded pretty hardcore (though not intentionally) racist/classist to me. Especially since 'overpopulation' isn't an issue with developed economies but the opposite.

Basically what I was trying to say. Though I'm not sure that saying "Kids cost a bunch, so if you're poor or middle class it can drag you down." is a classist argument so much as the reality of the current situation. I wish it wasn't that way too, but saying that some level of birth control helps the lower classes be less poor is a true statement. I used it when I was still a Libertarian, hence the attempt to turn an obvious social issue into an economic one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Berke Negri posted:

Overpopulation typically isn't a problem with developed countries because there's free access to birth control and abortions, because kids cost a ton.

In fact, I believe it was shown that in countries like Sweden where there's a fair amount of security for the average person, birthrates went up slightly.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
CNN tackles the question of our times: can the Klan rebrand?

quote:

(CNN) -- Pointy hats, white robes, crosses burning, bodies hanging from trees.

The images of the Ku Klux Klan are reminders of the nation's ugliest moments from the Civil War through the struggle for racial equality in the 1960s.

Last Sunday, the world was confronted with another image of the Klan: 73-year-old Frazier Glenn Cross, a white supremacist and avowed anti-Semite, in the back of a police car, spitting, "Heil Hitler!"

When his alleged rampage at two Jewish institutions in suburban Kansas City, Kansas, was over, three people were shot dead -- a teenage boy and his grandfather along with a woman who worked with visually impaired children.

A member of the Confederate White Knights speaks during a rally at the Antietam National Battlefield September 7, 2013 near Sharpsburg, Maryland. T

A member of the Confederate White Knights speaks during a rally at the Antietam National Battlefield September 7, 2013 near Sharpsburg, Maryland. T

The carnage was devastating to many. Imperial Wizard Frank Ancona was upset, too.

"What this guy just did set back everything I've been trying to do for years," said Ancona, who leads the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.

CNN tracked Ancona down on Twitter, where he has 840 followers, after he and other self-professed hate group leaders denounced the shootings in interviews with USA Today and CNN affiliate WDAF in Kansas City, Missouri.

"I believe in racial separation but it doesn't have to be violent," he told CNN. "People in the Klan are professional people, business people, working types. We are a legitimate organization."

Cross, who founded the Carolina Knights of the KKK in the 1980s, went "rogue," Ancona said.

Charged with capital murder and first-degree premeditated murder, Cross did not enter a plea at his first court appearance. He requested a court appointed attorney and is scheduled to be back in court later this month.

New way for the KKK?

Ancona, who lives in Missouri, insists there's a new Klan for modern times -- a Klan that's "about educating people to our ideas and getting people to see our point of view to ... help change things."

He said he and those like him can spread that message without violence -- a sort of rebranding of the Klan.

The idea may sound absurd, but is it conceivable?

No, say top marketing experts, brand gurus and historians -- and for many reasons.

The Klan could change its name, get a smooth-talking spokesperson, replace the robes with suits and take off those ridiculous hats, but underneath, people would recognize its message is the same.

"They stand for hatred; they always have," said Atlanta-based brand consultant Laura Ries. "Maybe they don't believe in shooting up a center for Jewish people, but they still support beliefs that are beyond the scope of understanding for most people and certainly the freedom and equality our country believes in."

Other experts raised the question: If the Klan isn't violent, what's the point?

"What would you be left with? Benign racism?" asked Jelani Cobb, director of the Africana Studies Institute at the University of Connecticut.

The victims of the shooting rampage, Cobb noted, were not Jewish. One was Catholic and two were Methodist.

"In the most basic sense, the fact that the people who were killed were not Jews drives home Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s point that injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere," he said. "It's the most horrible metaphor for the fact that we are all impacted by the legacy of hate, even when it's not specifically directed at the group to which we belong."

Even if the modern KKK at large distances itself from this supposedly "rogue" element, Cobb said, that doesn't make up for the group's past.

"Violence and racial intimidation were the KKK's raison d'etre. They're not simply a controversial civic organization. If in fact they reject violence, the only honest way of establishing that would be to do restorative work for the incredible damage their history of violence has already done," he said. "No sensible person is going to wait around for that to happen."

Disorganized discrimination

From a sheer marketing perspective, the lack of central leadership poses more problems for the KKK if it's serious about revamping its image. Just look at the Catholic Church, Ries said.

"The KKK doesn't have a Pope. Look at what that guy has done. You have to have a leader like that to make people believe a change has happened," she said.

Without a clear leader, marketing experts said, crafting and conveying a spin-friendly message is impossible.

That was evident the minute members of the "new" Klan denounced the shootings. Soon after Ancona spoke to reporters, other self-described "real" Klansmen began attacking him online for not adhering to authentic Klan doctrine.

"This movement is a hodgepodge of little groups that, as often as they attack their enemies, attack one another," said Mark Potok, a spokesman for the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate groups.

He estimates there are about 8,000 KKK members nationwide.

"To call these guys disorganized," he said, "doesn't quite do it."

Potok pointed to a 2013 rally in Memphis, Tennessee, that drew about 75 Klan members. They arrived in their typical get-up to protest the city's move to rename three city parks that honored Confederate leaders.

Then it got confusing and weird.

Another group of Klansmen showed up to protest the first Klan group, according to Potok and a local media report.

The second Klan group claimed to be about nonviolence and actually teamed with a black Crips street gang. The second group of Klansmen wanted people to know they were the real deal, the ones everyone should listen to, Potok recounted.

Bullhorns apparently belonging to the first KKK group died shortly after their gathering began. Memphis' Commercial Appeal reported that their chants of "white power" were barely audible over the approximately 1,000 folks who showed up to protest racial intolerance.

A Klansman with a Twitter account

Potok doesn't put much weight in the Klan's condemnation of the Jewish center shootings, because it's not the first time hate groups have done that. They did it after the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing orchestrated by militia sympathizer Timothy McVeigh and after a white supremacist killed six people at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin in 2012, he said.

"There's a method to doing that. By publicly saying, 'Oh, not us; we don't do that,' they think they're protecting themselves against law enforcement zeroing in on them or from us suing them," Potok said. "That doesn't work, but they believe that."

In the early 1980s, Morris Dees, SPLC's co-founder and chief trial counsel, began using courts to secure monetary damages against hate groups. Courts then seized the groups' assets. By 1991, many had gone into bankruptcy.

In 1981, Dees successfully sued the KKK and won a $7 million judgment for the mother of Michael Donald, a black lynching victim in Alabama. The judgment bankrupted the United Klans of America, which had to sell its national headquarters to help pay it off.

In the early 1980s, while operating the Carolina Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, Cross eschewed white robes for fatigues and recruited active-duty soldiers as members.

According to the Anti-Defamation League, which released a summary of its files on Cross this week, the group "drew notoriety for its paramilitary training exercises" and carried out attacks on African-Americans.

The SPLC sued Cross for operating an illegal paramilitary organization and for intimidating African-Americans. The two sides settled, with the Knights barred from operating.

But a month later, Cross resurfaced with an offshoot: the White Patriot Party.

Ancona, the imperial wizard, is aware of that history and said he thought it might be helpful if he and Potok had a conversation.

Throughout CNN's interview, Ancona was cordial and repeatedly said he wanted to speak with media about the Klan's message. He won't be able to divulge too many operational details of his group, he said, because fraternal rites and rituals bar him from discussing exactly what they do.

Ancona explained that he's in his second four-year term as imperial wizard, elected by state Klan group's leaders, known as grand dragons. To get their message out, the Traditionalist Knights of the KKK wear their usual attire and stand on roadsides handing out flyers.

They also have a Web page, and they use Twitter and occasionally LinkedIn, where Ancona promotes "working together as a team and a unit" to "strive to increase awareness of the destruction of our constitutional rights and the plight of the White race in America."

"Facebook keeps deleting my posts," he said.

Ancona's branch of the KKK has a toll-free hotline that asks callers to press 1 if they would like an information packet, 2 for media inquiries, or 3 to talk to a member of the organization.
An outgoing voice mail explains the group is "unapologetically committed to the interests and values of the white race. We are determined to maintain and enrich our cultural and racial heritage. White people will simply not buy the equality propaganda anymore and have begun to doubt some of the anti-Klan hysteria that they have been fed in school and from TV and movies."

Rhetoric and reaction

Dan Hill, a marketing expert who specializes in how consumers react emotionally to advertisements, said there can probably never be a Klan rebranding.

"Disney is happiness. Nike is you're proud you ran the race. The Ayran Brotherhood -- that's somewhere on the spectrum of rage and outrage," he said. "We are talking about an emotion that leads to violence. If you use that rhetoric, you can't say you didn't expect that kind of reaction."

That's a lesson history keeps trying to teach.

"The Klan has always been about wolves in sheep's clothing," said John Rowley, president of advertising agency and crisis management firm Fletcher Rowley in Nashville. "Hate groups have never had on their business cards the n-word or some sort of overt act of violence. They've always tried to appear a little more inclusive and less threatening, so it's not surprising that they're saying they are against this shooting."

Rowley's firm has worked on more than 500 political campaigns for Democrats in 46 states, including the 1991 election of Edwin Edwards for governor of Louisiana. The election made national headlines because Edwin's opponent, former KKK leader David Duke, made an unexpectedly strong showing.

"Duke was a master of rhetoric to seem like a well-mannered candidate on the outside when he was a zealot on the inside," said Rowley.
There were several factors that contributed to Duke's loss, but when it comes to groups like the KKK, Rowley said, speaking as an ad man, even the "best spin must be grounded in reality."

"Their core mission violates American core values right now," he said. "We don't believe in discrimination. You can't just put a nice wrapper on that with the right words and a rebranding campaign.

Or to compare it to a product, "if you have a car that is killing people because the gas tank is exploding, it doesn't matter how fantastic the ad campaign is for that car."

CNN's Phil Gast contributed to this report.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Decided to skim the Opinions page and almost didn't read this due to the title.

Someone who is literally insane posted:

Will Flight 370 resurface?

The issue of the missing airliner has monumental consequences not only for Malaysian Airlines flight 370, but also for the entire world. What with all the geopolitical events unfolding on the world stage and all the potential flashpoints of controversy, it’s information overload for the brain.

Regarding “ They’ll find the jet at election time” (Letters, April 10): The writer hit the nail right on the head. I flew the idea past my best friend in Fresno back in March on his patio, and he thought I had a screw loose. Remember years ago in Chowchilla, two teenage brothers kidnapped a busload of kids and the driver and buried it in a rock quarry unseen by all the officials? If a couple of kids can pull that off and bewilder law enforcement, think of what a well-financed terrorist organization could pull off with one jet aircraft and 239 passengers/hostages – they could blackmail the world. Seven nations can’t find a single aircraft underwater in one month, but we put a man on the moon. Go figure.

Something very dreadful is being hatched at this very moment, like fly the jetliner with a so-called dirty bomb into the White House and then watch what President Obama orders when he emerges from an underground bunker – it’s called World War III!

TERRY ALLEN

MODESTO

And the letter he references:

Is there something in the goddamn water? posted:

I keep hearing and reading about a missing jetliner. Can’t be missing. It was never lost, just stolen. The same country that “hid” Osama bin Laden for thousands of days now is a parking space for a giant jet. How difficult is it to build a cheap runway that will only be used twice? On takeoff, it will be a huge pilot-driven missile.

I’m sure the U.S. government knows all about it, but they are waiting to blow it up at the time that will be most effective to make political hay out of it. Like election time. Great timing for Obama to rescue his reputation after the Affordable Care Act fiasco. I can see all of this from my desk in east Modesto. So can President Obama.

PETE SANDOVAL

MODESTO

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
CNN: Pointy hats, white robes, crosses burning, bodies hanging from trees.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Warszawa posted:

CNN tackles the question of our times: can the Klan rebrand?

quote:

"This movement is a hodgepodge of little groups that, as often as they attack their enemies, attack one another," said Mark Potok, a spokesman for the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate groups.

He estimates there are about 8,000 KKK members nationwide.

"To call these guys disorganized," he said, "doesn't quite do it."

Potok pointed to a 2013 rally in Memphis, Tennessee, that drew about 75 Klan members. They arrived in their typical get-up to protest the city's move to rename three city parks that honored Confederate leaders.

Then it got confusing and weird.

Another group of Klansmen showed up to protest the first Klan group, according to Potok and a local media report.

The second Klan group claimed to be about nonviolence and actually teamed with a black Crips street gang. The second group of Klansmen wanted people to know they were the real deal, the ones everyone should listen to, Potok recounted.

And I thought I'd heard all of the Judean People's Front jokes.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

We house the dumbest motherfuckers in the Central Valley. When I still got the paper I would read the opinion section instead of drinking coffee in the morning for that wake-me-up that only rage can give.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So my friend pissed off an MRA website-

http://www.avoiceformalestudents.com/lulu-chang-vigilante-journalist-and-bureaucrat-from-dartmouth-college/

choice comment:

quote:

Straight up, feminists are slimy and sleazy. They claim to represent equality, or essentially human rights, but some major turd like this just exposes the movement for the hypocrisy it stands for.

I can tell you as a male with benefit of internet pseudonyms that her feeling of fear that an innocent man is set free is pure garbage, yet the feminists will jump all over this like some rats over a festering piece of cheese. I can also tell you I have personally experienced most of the indignities the feminists simply advertises a feeling of being alarmed by, in full perpetration. That means I as a male, have been sexually harassed, date raped, physically assaulted, oh and yes, if you include felt “fear” ,so many times it would be redundant to even express.

I have sat through group counselling sessions with male survivors of sexual abuse and have been astonished at the participation of (innocent, all virtuous and victimized) women in the abuse of boys. It sickens me that feminists try to occupy this victim position, which essentially exploits western cultures tendency to protect and sympathize with females, yet somehow cry oppression by the same sentiment they are exploiting.

It further disgusts me that very few organizations that claim to represent sexual abuse, rape or domestic violence survivors actually give a poo poo about the survivors. In reality it is a sounding board for the sleazy, slimy and hypocritical feminist garbage that women occupy the victim position. Please note RAINN is one major exception that has stood against the feminist cry of rape culture, and has truly stood for the interests of sexual assault and abuse survivors.

As Johnathan suggests, feminism has nothing to do with “kindness”.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Remember folks, MRAs just care about mens' issues. It's not like they're a purely reactionary movement created solely to resist feminism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010
So close to a point, and yet so far.

Because it's not as if the refusal to acknowledge female rapists and sexual abusers comes from some patriarchal view that female sexuality is inherently passive and weak and that the male in any sexual situation, no matter his age, must be not only a willing participant but the aggressor...

Nope. Definitely a feminist plot.

• Locked thread