Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

botany posted:

You're missing the point. The university cracked down on this poo poo because fraternities have a long history of sexual assault on women. I'm glad you and your buddies were the shining counterexamples to that trend, but it is entirely reasonable for a university to not want to take that risk. And -- this is the important part -- none of that is the women's fault. It may not be you who were the cause of taht university policy, but it was certainly someone like you, just maybe with lower moral standards or less self-control.

Exactly this. Same thing happened at my university towards before I started and joined a fraternity (and yes, we, too, are a shinning counterexample of out-of-control frats).
Pledge is dared to finish a bottle of hard liquor, passes out from alcohol poisoning, don't know what to do so they stick him somewhere until someone has enough common sense to take him to the hospital, but too late. This lead to a dry campus including all fraternity premises.
Was this type of thing common in my fraternity? Hell no. Was in the Greek culture as a whole? Hell yes. I was actually helping part of a tour when I saw a guy passed out drunk at 3 PM on a sorority lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
One of the best only redeeming things about the Albuquerque Journal is that they take every Tuesday to print a ton of letters from readers, and there's generally plenty of comedic gold in there. From last week, in regards to the Senate race between Tom Udall and Allen Weh:

quote:

PUT A VETERAN IN OFFICE TO BATTLE ISIS

As a veteran, I’m asking all vets to cast their vote for Allen (Weh).

There is no doubt in my mind that we need a big change in leadership coming from Washington.

I truly believe we have politicians only looking out for themselves and not the people. Too many of them want to stay forever at the taxpayer’s trough and throw a bone now and then to us for appeasement.

As far as I’m concerned, (Tom) Udall and other political family members are enjoying the “good life” in (Washington) D.C. and just rubber stamp whatever the party wants.

I feel this ISIS thing is something to take very seriously, especially with their training overseas and then coming back here to kill us and our families.

With a man like Allen in D.C., we will have another good politician that can use his military experience to help close our borders and other common sense issues.

It would be nice to see TV ads produced by our vets, hunters and other men and women showing that we are well armed and ISIS, with their TV threats, had better understand the USA resolve as others were taught in World War II.

BEN BERG

Albuquerque

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A lot of vets talk about their military service like some potbellied retired mechanic reminisces about the time he scored the winning touchdown at Homecoming '73.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I don't think he knows what asymmetric warfare is.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

A lot of vets talk about their military service like some potbellied retired mechanic reminisces about the time he scored the winning touchdown at Homecoming '73.

In both cases, it was the high point of their life, so it makes sense.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I don't think I've ever seen so many illogical arguments, technical errors, and writing mistakes packed into such a short article. Even the comments section thinks it's poo poo.

http://americanthinker.com/blog/2014/10/inventor_of_led_light_wins_physics_nobel.html

Inventors of LED light win physics Nobel

quote:

The three scientists responsible for allowing governments to ban most incandescent light bulbs by inventing the LED have won the Nobel Prize in physics.

quote:

Reuters:

An American and two Japanese scientists won the 2014 Nobel Prize for Physics on Tuesday for inventing a new energy-efficient and environment-friendly light source, leading to the creation of modern LED light bulbs.

Isamu Akasaki and Hiroshi Amano of Japan and Japanese-born U.S. citizen Shuji Nakamura won the prize for developing the blue light-emitting diode (LED) -- the missing piece that now allows manufacturers to produce white-light lamps.

The arrival of such lamps is changing the way homes and workplaces are lit, offering a longer-lasting and more efficient alternative to the incandescent bulbs pioneered by Joseph Swan and Thomas Edison at the end of the 19th century.

"Red and green LEDs have been around for a long time but blue was really missing. Thanks to the blue LED we now can get white light sources which have very high energy efficiency and very long lifetime," Per Delsing, a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, told a news conference.

The award is a notable example of a practical discovery winning the prize -- in contrast to last year, when the physics prize went to scientists who predicted the existence of the Higgs boson particle that explains how elementary matter attained the mass to form stars and planets.

"Incandescent light bulbs lit the 20th century; the 21st century will be lit by LED lamps," the academy said in a statement.

Frances Saunders, president of Britain's Institute of Physics, said the shift offered the potential for huge energy savings.

"With 20 percent of the world’s electricity used for lighting, it’s been calculated that optimal use of LED lighting could reduce this to 4 percent. Akasaki, Amano and Nakamura’s research has made this possible and this prize recognizes this contribution," she said.

I suppose congratulations are in order, but I'm not celebrating much. The light given off by blue LED's is weaker than your standard bulb and it's toxicity is well known:

quote:

Ogunseitan and other UC-Irvine researchers tested several types of LEDs, including those used as Christmas lights, traffic lights, car headlights and brake lights. What did they find? Some of the worst offenders were low-intensity red LEDs, which were found to contain up to eight times the amount of lead, a known neurotoxin, allowed by California state law and which, according to researchers, “exhibit significant cancer and noncancer potentials due to the high content of arsenic and lead.”

Meanwhile, white LEDs contain the least lead, but still harbor large amounts of nickel, another heavy metal that causes allergic reactions in as many as one in five of us upon exposure. And the copper found in some LEDs can pose an environmental threat if it accumulates in rivers and lakes where it can poison aquatic life.

Ogunseitan adds that while breaking open a single LED and breathing in its fumes wouldn’t likely cause cancer, our bodies hardly need more toxic substances floating around, as the combined effects could be a disease trigger. If any LEDs break at home, Ogunseitan recommends sweeping them up while wearing gloves and a mask, and disposing of the debris — and even the broom — as hazardous waste.

Furthermore, crews dispatched to clean up car crashes or broken traffic lights (LEDs are used extensively for automotive and traffic lighting) should wear protective clothing and handle material as hazardous waste. LEDs are currently not considered toxic by law and can be disposed of in regular landfills.

The worst that could happen if you broke an incandescent bulb was a piece of glass in your bare foot. Now we have to worry about hazardous waste? Sheesh.

The claim that we'll realize that much in energy savings is unproven. How much do we pay for increased eye strain? Or the increased cost?

As with all things, a choice would have been preferable to an edict from the government.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 8, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
What do they mean by "light given off is weaker"? The whole reason LEDs are more energy efficient than incandescent is because they're brighter per watt.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Every time I drop an LED light on the floor, CRASH! Toxic heavy metals all over the room!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

What do they mean by "light given off is weaker"? The whole reason LEDs are more energy efficient than incandescent is because they're brighter per watt.

Sure, there's more light. But it's that weak, limp-wristed, tree-hugging liberal light.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

VideoTapir posted:

Sure, there's more light. But it's that weak, limp-wristed, tree-hugging liberal light.

All I know is that my old bulb said 75 watts and this one says 8 watts. Now I may now be a NOBEL physicsist , but in America 75 is bigger than 8!!!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

When they talk about breaking an led, do they mean just breaking the housing? Or is it the actual tiny led itself? How would you even break that?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

katlington posted:

When they talk about breaking an led, do they mean just breaking the housing? Or is it the actual tiny led itself? How would you even break that?
Hammer.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

katlington posted:

It's just laziness. The lightbulb conspiracy theorists claim that if you break a CFL, you and your entire family will die of mercury poisoning, even though CFLs contain only tiny amounts of mercury. Now that LEDs are beginning to supplant CFLs, they've just transferred the same arguments over wholesale.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
http://1000waystodie.wikia.com/wiki/Tapped_Out

I think this proves that LED lights are bad and will kill you.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Selachian posted:

It's just laziness. The lightbulb conspiracy theorists claim that if you break a CFL, you and your entire family will die of mercury poisoning, even though CFLs contain only tiny amounts of mercury. Now that LEDs are beginning to supplant CFLs, they've just transferred the same arguments over wholesale.

If your power comes from coal, an incandescent results in way more mercury release over its life than a CFL does over its life.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

VideoTapir posted:

If your power comes from coal, an incandescent results in way more mercury release over its life than a CFL does over its life.

Yeah, but that only effects poors who live by the coal fired plants hundreds of miles downwind of me. Your move libtard :smuggo:.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
William Blum defends the Berlin Wall: http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/2014/10/20/the-berlin-wall-another-cold-war-myth/

quote:

Finally, it must be remembered, that Eastern Europe became communist because Hitler, with the approval of the West, used it as a highway to reach the Soviet Union to wipe out Bolshevism forever

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I started typing up a post with some actual arguments but really it all boils down to this: I was born in West Berlin, still live in Berlin, and I want to do bodily harm to this rear end in a top hat. The only other people I've ever seen buy into the SED party line re: the Wall this hard before were actual high ranking SED members. Even people who think the GDR was better in a lot of ways than the FRG and who are disappointed about how reunification was an annexation instead of a dialogue have nothing good to say about the Wall whatsoever. What an absolute piece of poo poo.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
Have a fantastic, in all senses of the word, editorial from Carly Fiorina:

Carly Fiorina posted:

In recent months, the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) has been under siege by an army of professional activists. Its weapons: radically oversimplified arguments and online pressure campaigns. Its victim: free and open debate. The attacks have prompted Google, among other tech giants, to part ways with ALEC, an alliance of state legislators who advocate limited government, free markets, and individual liberty. Unfortunately, such shortsighted thinking all too often shapes corporate strategy at a time when policies with enormous, and potentially damaging, economic implications are gaining ground.

ALEC and its supporters are not alone as the targets of such attacks. While climate change is these activists’ current wedge, they strive to drive business out of politics by any means necessary, including protests, online petitions, letter-writing campaigns, attacks on secondary targets or membership organizations and shareholder resolutions.

This month, a climate-related pressure campaign by Greenpeace forced the Danish toy-maker Lego to end its relationship with Shell. Too often companies succumb to the interests of a small minority of well-organized, professional activists intent on chilling speech and marginalizing the voice of business and job creators in U.S. society. The goal of these activists is to have business bow to their ideological will and reshape companies in their desired image. Their attacks on businesses’ protected speech and political participation are intended to sideline the entrepreneurial perspective and silence the opportunity for nuanced policy discussions.

More pressure campaigns are underway, and the attacks won’t stop until companies — and their leaders — take a stand.

Climate change is a big issue; informed discussion is desperately needed and solutions are not immediately obvious. It is counterproductive and dishonest to assign people and companies to one of only two possible camps when complicated policy and economic issues need to be addressed. Decisions on climate revolve around energy production and consumption, which in turn have implications in such vital areas as job growth, innovation, global air quality, grid maintenance and power generation. These are not small considerations.

When discussing climate, scientists may agree that some policy change is warranted, but they also agree that action by a single state or nation will make little difference. China and India are the biggest and third-biggest producers, respectively, of carbon dioxide emissions, and their leaders were absent from the recent U.N. Climate Summit. At a time when American families are still recovering from joblessness and the recession, should the United States commit to an energy policy that puts U.S. jobs, and the economy, at risk?

Last month, 15 governors sent a letter to President Obama expressing their concern over the power-plant regulations proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency that are estimated to retire enough electrical capacity to power 60 million homes. To be sure, the Cato Institute used an EPA-supported climate model to find that if the power plant plan is implemented entirely, a mere 0.018 degrees Celsius rise in global temperature would be averted.

But this information seems to be lost on the activists, who are all too willing to brand companies and groups as “climate change deniers.”

No form of energy is perfect. The debate is so much more complicated than the simplistic notion of switching from traditional energy sources to renewable ones. Energy sources generate power in very different ways, and unlike traditional coal-burning power plants that reliably generate power, wind energy is volatile and unpredictable.

As we head into the election season, corporate leaders should remain aware of the cyclical nature of campaigns and understand the source and purpose of activist pressure. Caving on an issue only invites more attacks. If a company is a good steward of customer and shareholder interests, pursues appropriate policy and delivers on its brand promise, there is nothing to fear.

We need more business leaders who are willing to stand up and contribute to our public discourse. Reasonable people can disagree on the substance of policy while they engage in civil discourse, and business leaders should not let the urgency of a manufactured crisis direct their policy priorities. Our democracy has never — and should never — demand consensus, but a forced consensus will surely be on our horizon if companies keep bowing to activist pressure.

:qq: The peasants have opinions that aren't in line with job creators! That's not supposed to happen! :qq:

Aren't campaigns like this how you're supposed to change corporate policies in 'MURIKA, since government action is bad? Though I guess the real problem is that there's not just instant agreement with pronouncements from the corporate overlords.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Won't somebody think of the capitalists?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Its amazing to hear a CEO, who is basically famous for being a spectacular failure in pretty much every way, still pretending like they are a serious intellectual.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

N00ba the Hutt posted:

Have a fantastic, in all senses of the word, editorial from Carly Fiorina:

:qq: The peasants have opinions that aren't in line with job creators! That's not supposed to happen! :qq:

Aren't campaigns like this how you're supposed to change corporate policies in 'MURIKA, since government action is bad? Though I guess the real problem is that there's not just instant agreement with pronouncements from the corporate overlords.

If you like that, you'll love the current CEO of Hong Kong.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/21/world/asia/leung-chun-ying-hong-kong-china-protests.html?_r=0

quote:

Mr. Leung said that if “you look at the meaning of the words ‘broadly representative,’ it’s not numeric representation.”

“You have to take care of all the sectors in Hong Kong as much as you can,” he said, “and if it’s entirely a numbers game and numeric representation, then obviously you would be talking to half of the people in Hong Kong who earn less than $1,800 a month.”

“Then you would end up with that kind of politics and policies,” he continued.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To be fair though, as an American, we shouldn't really pay attention to people making less than US$18K/mo. They can't really understand freedom, so at best we can be caretakers to keep them virtuous.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

N00ba the Hutt posted:

Much like how the free market is the perfect the solution to discrimination, it's the perfect solution to environmentalism unless it actually starts solving environmental problems and then it's just like the Gestapo.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The pope is a liberal CINO :qq::qq:. I don't understand why these morons don't just convert to evangelical American Christianity rather than beg for the Church to spend more time bashing gays and shut up about the poor.

quote:

Can the Pope Shut Up Too?

Last week I pleaded for Federal Reserve chair, Janet Yellen, to shut up. Yellen had gotten crosswise with me in her attempt to inject politics into her role as head of the banks in the country.

Specifically, Yellen argued that income inequality is rising in the United States and that it greatly concerns her in her role as Fed chair.

“The distribution of income and wealth in the United States has been widening more or less steadily for several decades,” said Yellen to Fed conference members “to a greater extent than in most advanced countries….The extent of and continuing increase in inequality in the United States greatly concerns me.”

Besides being wrong on her facts, Yellen is also wrong in her function as the head of the banks.

The Fed’s role is to make sure that banks have enough capital to make it through times when banks demand immediate cash—thus the name: Federal Reserve Bank.

The fact that the Fed sucks at that reserve role—as we saw in 2008-- doesn't give the chair license to free agent into policy areas that are wholly political.

And this phenomenon of saying controversial things that polarize us by leaders who are supposed to be above politics is disheartening.

I have increasingly despaired that our leaders worldwide are so inadequate at their primary function that they seek to distract us from noticing their inadequacies by straying from their own lanes.

And now this inadequacy is being exhibited by one of our newest messiahs from the Left, Pope Francis, who lane-wise, seems like a drunk driver.

Attempting to bolster his image as pro-science, pro-evolution, Francis just told a group of pontifical scientists: “God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life,” in reference to accounts of creation.

As a practicing Catholic, I have a bone or two to pick with the church. Like many institutions, the Roman Catholic Church is hierarchical, myopic and often more concerned with image than it is with results.

To the extent that Francis is seeking to change those things, I applaud him and his successors. And I support the scientific account of creation as not incompatible with that of the Bible.

But in his desperation to be relevant, Francis used words that will hurt Catholics for a long time, unfortunately.

While other media outlets concentrate on Francis saying that God is not a magician, I grieve that a pope would dare to say that God is not divine.

I don’t know how I can support a pope—or church—that says that God is not divine.

The church’s role as arbiter of scientific thought seems so important to Francis that he is willing to sacrifice the divinity of our Creator in order to glamorize the secular elements of man.

Like similar comments by Francis on the economy and homosexuality, those on the Left will seize upon the Pope’s words to demoralize and degrade believers in the Christian Church.

They will twist them to work as anti-religious, anti-Catholic propaganda.

We have come a long way down from saintly John Paul II to Pope Francis.

John Paul II was a miracle of divine intervention who helped spread the faith and convert the nations.

But Francis seems to be more concerned with the judgments of men than he is that God. The assertion from a pope that God is neither divine nor omnipotent is startling. But what is perhaps most startling is that such an admission would be met with blasé acceptance by the Christian world.

So why exactly are Christians being martyred in the Middle East and elsewhere?

For a man who poses as God? Or for a god who poses as man?

The answer here-- as with many of our others leaders-- is unfortunately: Yes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MaxxBot posted:

The pope is a liberal CINO :qq::qq:. I don't understand why these morons don't just convert to evangelical American Christianity rather than beg for the Church to spend more time bashing gays and shut up about the poor.

Link, for the curious: http://finance.townhall.com/columnists/johnransom/2014/10/30/can-the-pope-shut-up-too-n1911589

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

MaxxBot posted:

The malevolent translation going on here is really, really lovely. Francis never said that God wasn't divine; he said that he wasn't a demiurge. Saying the former would be heretical and we would see a lot more press about it, but "demiurge" is a pretty technical term in the history of Christian theology as it descends from Neoplatonism. But of course, American evangelicals and angry right wing Catholics don't care about things like "history" and "doing your research."

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bel_Canto posted:

The malevolent translation going on here is really, really lovely. Francis never said that God wasn't divine; he said that he wasn't a demiurge. Saying the former would be heretical and we would see a lot more press about it, but "demiurge" is a pretty technical term in the history of Christian theology as it descends from Neoplatonism. But of course, American evangelicals and angry right wing Catholics pundits don't care about things like "history" and "doing your research."

fixed.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Honestly, both are pretty accurate.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

I know more than a few people who have converted to Orthodoxy over Catholicism with that in mind. That's not to say the Orthodox don't care about social justice. It's just that it's way easier to ignore a patriarch/bishop's call for caring for the poor if you aren't under his jurisdiction. That also doesn't negate the writings of church fathers like John Chrysostom and Basil the Great who basically said that private property is theft and that the only proper storehouses for food are the stomachs of the poor.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Bel_Canto posted:

The malevolent translation going on here is really, really lovely. Francis never said that God wasn't divine; he said that he wasn't a demiurge. Saying the former would be heretical and we would see a lot more press about it, but "demiurge" is a pretty technical term in the history of Christian theology as it descends from Neoplatonism. But of course, American evangelicals and angry right wing Catholics don't care about things like "history" and "doing your research."

Especially funny if Francis was using the Gnostic definition of Demiurge, where the Demiurge is explicitly not divine which is why the world it creates is imperfect. I don't know too much about Neoplatonism but from what I understand of it, Neoplatonism doesn't require the Demiurge either, but in Gnosticism it explicitly isn't.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 31, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Grown man abandons his most deeply held politics because of something to do with video games, writes about it to influence an election that took place four days before:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/11/08/GamerGate-How-the-Media-Gave-Away-America

quote:

I hope character assassinating gamers without regard for collateral damage over the last 2 months was worth it.
Tuesday resulted in several firsts for me. I’d never voted full ticket—not in 20 years of participating in my civic duty. I did on Tuesday. I’ve often considered or voted for third party candidates when at the polls over the last 20 years. Tuesday I did not. Over the past 20 years, I’d spent between 2 and 6 weeks studying candidates and ballot measures to be as informed as possible. This election cycle, I was finished in hours. On this day, I stand before you to say that I did my part to hand the Legislative branch of the American government to the Republicans. Not that one vote matters in the grand scheme of things, but every traditionally Democratic vote that goes Republican is a two vote swing. So the Republicans own the Senate, but not with a “super majority” to completely dictate terms legislatively.
From my new perspective after Tuesday, it’s one down and three to go: Super majority in the Senate, the Presidency, and one Supreme Court justice. I’m disgusted for writing that last sentence.
What choice did I have? It would appear that the DiGRA was right—The Playful is Political. It would also appear that my politics are now a matter of survival for pieces of my identity that I hold dear. It can never be emphasized enough that 10 news outlets on the same day said I was dead or needed to die because of those parts of my identity. Will I forgive? Eventually. Time heals all wounds, after all. Will I forget? Never. The imgur’s will exist forever, as will the archives and screen caps of everything the hypocrites, charlatans, and their willing media puppets said and did to make me question two parts of my identity: gamer and liberal. It is only by force of will and self-determination that I don’t let those people immure me in self-doubt and regret. Right now, there is virtually no price too high for them to pay for what they tried to do to my identity.
There are roughly 730 days until Election Day 2016. The media that drove me away from my political leanings is going to need every one of those days to convince me that bashing gamers from August 28th until Tuesday was just a misunderstanding. They will need every one of those days to convince me that my input into the liberal ideology is valued regardless of my hobbies, support for GamerGate, or my gender. The alternative is to hand both the Legislative and Executive branch of the US Government over to Republicans, and as I found out on Tuesday, it is well within my capability to do so.
Tick tock. Tick tock.

Extra! Extra! Reactionary turd discovers that he really doesn't care about anything other than indulgence in petty entertainments that nobody in government has ever even heard of, refuses to compromise on issues that affect only the masturbatory fantasy world he uses to shut out all his fellow humans. Checkmate, Democrats.

Weird that Breitbart would call a conversion to the Republicans giving away America.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jesus, gamergate is the stupidest thing ever.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
On the plus side, I now have a non-ant-related link to send any time someone tries to ask about gamergate. "Oh, you mean that thing Breitbart's into?" Boom, "conversation" ender, right there.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Jesus, gamergate is the stupidest thing ever.

What brought this on? I mean I agree, but there's so much stupid about it that you could aiming at one of a million different stupid pockets.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

rkajdi posted:

What brought this on? I mean I agree, but there's so much stupid about it that you could aiming at one of a million different stupid pockets.

Changing what should be deeply held political beliefs over video games is just so stupid I can't even understand the mindset that would allow it to happen. He went from a self described liberal to wanting the Republicans to dominate every aspect of American politics because someone mean words about "gamers".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And he still talks about Republicans like they're bad, like he's decided to destroy America out of spite by voting Republican. He's not even saying that he's gone Dennis Miller because somebody made fun of him: he's saying that because somebody made fun of him, he's lashing out by refusing to support the political party he associates with the people who made fun of him.

He's saying they'll all pay for what they did to him--that he'll make them suffer for laughing at him--and some moron at Breitbart saw that and said, "hot dog! This is just the sort of story we need to maintain confidence in American conservatism."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I am mired in disappointment with myself for even asking this, but who are gamer manchildren supposed to be retaliating against by voting for Republicans?

Is it simply a matter of, "women said mean things about me, so I will make sure that they perish while delivering a rape baby"?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

SedanChair posted:

I am mired in disappointment with myself for even asking this, but who are gamer manchildren supposed to be retaliating against by voting for Republicans?

Is it simply a matter of, "women said mean things about me, so I will make sure that they perish while delivering a rape baby"?

They're finally standing up to the powers that be, and saying "no more!" to the group of people that basically sit on top in society, and who basically define what American culture is.

Of course, I am talking about straight white men feminists, especially the non white ones.

(Yes, it is basically that.)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Women, minorities, liberals, same as it's always been, as long as the populist right existed. It's not like they're incorrect in viewing this as an ideological war. They've just finally figured out which side is best representing their views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Time can dull the pain...but it can never erase...the imgur memes :911:

• Locked thread