Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How is it that the Chronicle of Higher Education--a publication for professional academics--ends up publishing such garbage and attracting such a vile bunch of comments? Those racists are posting to each other like they know one another already, like there's a community of racists who reinforce one another on a blog from the Chronicle.

What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It probably doesn't matter, but I have been using all the feedback forms I can find to tell the Chronicle how displeased I was to see such poor, unscholarly writing on the Chronicle's website.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Yeah. What grown-up believes that life is fair?

But Obama is BREAKING THE RULES THAT I BELIEVE AND THAT'S NOT FAIR! HE SHOULD HAVE TO FOLLOW MY RULES AND BE PUNISHED!

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Now now, we all know how hard Generation X worked to put this country together. They really know how to buckle down and get things done by the sweat of their brow and their blind faith in meritocracy and the free market.

Generational thinking is so dumb it's no surprise that it was invented by baby boomers. loving assholes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Dark One posted:

Can't you see? Marriage is about turning women into baby factories. If we start letting in people who only want use it as an expression of their love, then hetero women might also start thinking that their union is based on more than just procreation. What relationship could stand up in the face of such artificially high expectations? :ohdear:

I can't remember where I saw it (I think it was in a documentary about Prop 8 in California that I saw on Netflix) and there was a preacher speaking to his congregation and he said of "the opposition" that "they think that love is enough!" in a way that suggested he was disgusted with the idea or found it naive. There was a shot of an old lady in the congregation sadly shaking her head.

So there's definitely something to this idea, though its adherents would try to keep the central claim implicit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

While I kind of like this article, something seems a bit off about the way it's framed around the religious narrative. Take a look at it:

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/skip-reville-was-unstoppable-until-a-mother-found-him-out/Content?oid=4094572

While somewhere inside I am rejoicing that the Citadel is getting in trouble, the human part of me is revolted by what this guy did and how he manipulated several local trusted organizations to do it. Here's the part I think is kind of terrible reporting though:

Is it just me, or does it sound like they're trying to say that that particular incident caused the homosexuality and school-based sex ed programs enabled him to learn more about it?

That "doctor" seems to conflate homosexuality and pedophilia really readily in that quote, and by omission and implication seems to suggest that trauma can turn you gay. Since he's a "counselor" and not a psychologist, I wonder what kind of Ph.D./M.D. he has.

The really gross implication of that quote is that everybody in this community is going to be suspicious of the kids this guy raped, since by the "counselor's" logic they too have the potential to become child molesters. And the first comment (never read internet comments) makes it clear that these kids will be seen as tainted or damaged:

quote:

Does this mean there are 35 time bombs waiting to go off?

And of course the same religious fundamentalism that allowed this guy to use faith as a cover for his crimes also informs that sort of victim-blaming.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

After googling the doctor (who does have a degree in psychology, though from the Citadel), it seems like his comments were made in the context of explaining how it could be that the molester explained that he was sexually attracted to adult women and young boys:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120614/PC16/120619492/reville-gets-50-years-in-prison

quote:

Burke said tests showed that ReVille is attracted to women and young boys. That could stem from a couple of events in his childhood, he said.

ReVille's parents divorced when he was quite young, and his mother remarried soon after, leaving ReVille feeling isolated. Then, in third grade, a teacher took ReVille aside, had him strip and sketched him in the nude, Burke said. “He experienced that as pleasurable because he had an adult male paying attention to him,” he said.

One of ReVille's friends then brought home a sex-education pamphlet, and the boys began experimenting, Burke said. That behavior continued with other boys, he said.

The omission in the first article makes me think that the reporter's letting some bias through.

Although I have to wonder how mainstream it is for psychologists to explain pedophilia in terms of reenacting past trauma. I know kids will do that and it can be a sign of abuse and that there's a strong correlation between growing up with domestic violence and either being abused or being an abuser.

But pedophilia seems like it's usually explained as something innate and incurable, since kids who reenact their abuse are usually suffering from PTSD and can be helped with regular therapy and people always talk about how therapy doesn't help child molesters. Maybe I've just been watching too much Law and Order.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rkajdi posted:

That article is serious :tinfoil: stuff. Starting using body reactions as the basis for legal proceedings is drat close to, if not actually, thought crime. And throwing an extra level of pseudo-science on top of it makes the whole article seem one degree removed from phrenology.

Not to mention that body reactions can have more than one cause and don't necessarily indicate the beliefs or intentions of the mind inside the body. This is exactly why lie detectors give false positives, and why we don't dismiss rape cases if it can be demonstrated that the victim experienced physical arousal.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

Yeah, I also found an article more fully explaining the device being used. While it seems a bit arcane, it doesn't sound stranger than any other first-generation device being used to try to quantify a qualitative analysis.

http://www.readability.com/articles/u8y2wvlq

Full disclosure: The reporter is someone who I know personally, and tries quite hard to remain neutral. I'm planning on trying to give him specific feedback, and posted the article here since I'd rather not be accusing him of being biased out of hand. Any suggestions would be interesting.

Something does sound really fishy about that entire quote though.

I'd advise the reporter to knock it off with the religious language of sin and devil and stuff, as that makes it sound as if the reporter shares and endorses the beliefs of the community--which, even if true, make the article seem untrustworthy. I get that it could be a neat narrative hook for the article since the rapist was a religious person, but it comes off like Jerry Falwell.

I might also add that it might be good to limit confusion by giving some other sources on the nature of the abuse and the difficult times the victim likely face moving ahead, since it could seem like the article is stigmatizing them and saying that now they're damaged and wrong just like their abuser.

That second one is also a larger issue with journalism that covers rape, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

George Will posted:

Replicating industrialism’s division of labor, universities introduced the fragmentation of the old curriculum of moral instruction into increasingly specialized and arcane disciplines. These included the recently founded social sciences — economics, sociology, political science — that were supposed to supply progressive governments with the expertise to manage the complexities of the modern economy and the simplicities of the uninstructed masses.

This complaint comes from 100 years ago, when economics, sociology, and political science were actually new and industrialism happened in America. He's regressing into his great-grandfather right before our eyes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"legitimate medical procedure"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The military: so diverse that 2/3 of combat personnel are nonwhite. Truly we have achieved Dr. King's dream.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wales Grey posted:

Fascism is reliant on worship of an idealized past state, something that is incompatible with deep knowledge of history and the application of critical thought.

The 40th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade was just a few days ago, right? Have a terrible letter from my local paper!

What can I do to get my own surge of abortion power? Eat a can of stem cells?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Yes yes go ahead. :justpost:

I'm not familiar with Wong's writing, but I've been linked his "What is the Monkeysphere?" article a few times and found it a longform excuse for otherizing people who are different.

A better title for this one would be "The Naturalistic Fallacy."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

The point of the article is that there are preset (soft) limits to our empathy. You can disbelieve it, but I don't know how you can miss what is being said.

Someone saying that a phenomenon is "the single reason society doesn't work" probably isn't saying that phenomenon is a good thing.

He's saying that it's useless to try to compensate for the deficit he describes because of our inescapable nature, that we should embrace cruel indifference because there's nothing we can do about it. It's Thomas Hobbes and Edmund Burke and your lovely Republican grandpa. It's sophomoric, nihilistic bullshit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

Yes, people dress them, buy them extravagant blinge and do other strange things with them; however, animals are not human.

This cannot be real.

EDIT: She just loving hates deer:

http://avon-oh.patch.com/blog_posts/council-get-er-done-please

quote:

This week Jan.4 more than 10 deer stopped traffic walking across Walker Roads from the apple orchard on the south of Walker Road to the American Legion directly across the street on the north by Giant Eagle. It was with much distress that these deer walked across the road rather than scatter to cars and hurt or kill drivers who were stopped waiting for these idiot animals to get off the road.

Then a day later, five deer ran across the same road in the same place! Finally, Sunday in the same area one deer walked up the ditch and stood by the edge of the road and stopped traffic for almost 10 minutes while drivers waited to see if the deer would cross the street or come at them. This deer scattered back to the ditch.

The three incidents in one week were not coincidence as much as usual happenings in this specific area. SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET KILLED! I have had two cars damaged by these deer.Council must, must do something as someone is going to get killed. With the many senior citizens, new teen drivers and travelers unaware of the deer along our roads, the need to kill deer is now.

If only there were some way to alert motorists to the presence of deer.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 18, 2013

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, anti-abortion people aren't out there trying to make owning abortion equipment illegal: they're just trying to make it impossible for anyone to use it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

It's the author of Galatianman.

He seemed like kind of a decent and a mellow guy back when Vile Rat got killed, just out of touch and lost in his own weird ideas.

I guess I was wrong about that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

So how about some more bizarre rapechat, this time from a libertarian?

http://www.thebigquestions.com/2013/03/20/censorship-environmentalism-and-steubenville/

quote:

would you be willing to legalize the rape of the unconscious in cases where the perpetrators take precautions to ensure the victim never learns about it?

The American legal system: entirely developed and predicated on crazy thought experiments by sentient computers who can't understand human emotion.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Guilty Spork posted:

Ah yes, Apple bowed to pressure to make one of their gadgets work better, therefore everything else should work out the same, right? That's why you'll have no problem buying non-GMO food at the supermarket, and if you don't like what Halliburton or Blackwater are doing you can just vote with your dollars! :v:

I literally lost a friend over an argument over the banning of smoking in public places. The dude kept insisting that even though he didn't smoke and hated being around cigarette smoke, it was a violation of the rights of smokers to keep them from smoking in public. He said that the market provided the perfect solution because some enterprising individual could open a smoke-free bar and restaurant and then everybody would flock to it.

Then I asked him why nobody had tried it before if it was such a wonderful idea and he said that maybe he was the first to think of it but it was a wonderful idea. Then I asked some followup questions about what makes people prefer one bar to another or one restaurant over another and about the risks of opening a restaurant and he told me to shut up, and then I asked about his right to live without risk of second-hand smoke and he told me to gently caress myself and that was the last time I ever spoke to him.

I don't think our friendship would have lasted even if I had shut up when he asked.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fandyien posted:

I only skimmed that whole thing but the first few paragraphs are really weirdly sexual about the young, muscled, nubile boy in question. That's creepy as all gently caress.

There's a lot of aesthetic celebration of the male form there, child and adult. Especially when they're nude together. Unworthy of celebration or recognition outside of sexual reproduction: the female body.

I think the homoeroticism is largely a function of the outrageous sexism and sexual separatism, rather than the other way around. Maybe these people are so terrified of gays because they really would desire a world with no women. Not because they are sexually attracted to men, but because women are so alien to literally every aspect of life that this fuckhead seems to enjoy and cherish.

Did I just crack the code? Conservatives have to hate gays so that they don't drive themselves to homosexuality as a function of their hatred of women?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

Don't worry, dude! There are Boy Scout alternatives, like the Christian Service Brigade, to satisfy your evangelical heteronormative brainwashing needs!

Also, as a childless woman, I'm not preparing any hypothetical sons specifically to please their even more hypothetical wives. I'd teach them respect for women - letting women make their own decisions without judgment will be a big part of that - and to cook and clean for themselves so they don't have to live a squalid "bachelor" lifestyle if they should end up alone (which will be cool if they choose it!) but I will be damned if I ballroom dance with my pubescent son. That's not as creepy and pseudo-pedophilic as father-son skinny dipping, but mainly because the participants' clothes remain on.

Well, it's vital for his successful passage through the state of vir futurus that he never become comfortable with the sight of female genitals, so that they might remain terrifying and unknown. At the same time, he must get constant reinforcement that his own are normal, natural, and a sense of great pride. In a healthy time, he could count on seeing tons of dicks--well-respected dicks like the mayor's, his gym teacher's, perhaps that of the president of the chamber of commerce--without anyone thinking it was weird, but this in not a healthy time. Instead, his father must contrive lots of occasions where he can display his dick to him without making it seem like he's contriving an occasion to display his dick.

God, the thing that gets me most about this passage is that it describes a social world that no longer exists--that never did exist. The world it takes as normal and time-honored comes entirely from old issues of Reader's Digest and 1950's-era school moral hygiene films. It's like he just came out of a 60-year coma and the first thing he did was pick up a newspaper and read an article about the boy scouts and this was his reply.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Radbot posted:

Try frequenting any SJ board/tumblr and you'll frequently see claims that allies/activists that advocate for a minority that they are not specifically a part of cannot ever be legitimate fighters for that cause.

This is getting into derail territory, but Huey Newton of the Black Panther Party once responded to a question from a white guy about how he could support the Black Panthers, Newton being an early voice for the perspective that it's bad for a movement trying to help black people if well-meaning, clueless white people take over. Newton said that he could start the White Panthers and start explaining to white people what was going on and what they could do to help (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Panther_Party best motto of any group ever, by the way), and the guy did just that.

Tim Wise seems like he's doing that kind of thing--being a white guy talking to white people about whiteness. That doesn't seem like the same thing as taking over anti-racist activism, but just getting his foot in the door with clueless, well-meaning white people to tell them something they'd take as an attack if a black person said it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

Dennis Prager is very infuriating because he seems like such a nice old man, is funny for a conservative, and he even sounds like a wise old rabbi when he's doing his non-political talk hours. Then he changes the topic to politics and it's absolute purestrain crazy, this has to be one of the worst op eds he has done yet.

What I want to know is what does he plan on doing with all of the poor people's kids once CPS takes them away? Surely the solution isn't to simply have BIG GUBMINT take care of them until they're 18, maybe we can borrow from newt's idea and make them indentured child janitor servants or something.

The pain of a missed meal teaches well the benefit of labor. Those kids will be begging to get out of class to serve the school as janitors once they go a few days without food in their algebra classes. Hell, if they're not smart enough to realize that, they'll fail out from poor performance from all those missed meals!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

Ah yes, Charlotte Allen, best known for blaming the Newtown shooting on a lack of male teachers and buckets.

The one about the husky twelve-year-olds being too cowardly to rush the shooter?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN! SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THAT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE TO IN GUN SAFETY AND USE. SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

I wonder how this is different from America's relationship with guns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland#Army-issued_arms

quote:

Each such individual is required to keep his army-issued personal weapon (the 5.56x45mm Sig 550 rifle for enlisted personnel and/or the 9mm SIG-Sauer P220 semi-automatic pistol for officers, military police, medical and postal personnel) at home or (as of 2010) in the local armoury (Zeughaus). Up until October 2007, a specified personal retention quantity of government-issued personal ammunition (50 rounds 5.56 mm / 48 rounds 9mm) was issued as well, which was sealed and inspected regularly to ensure that no unauthorized use had taken place.[4] The ammunition was intended for use while traveling to the army barracks in case of invasion.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is this their idea of satire? If a band of armed radicals were trying to start their own country because they were pissed about taxes, I would hope our government would respond with force--and do a better job than the British did too.

If these smartasses are trying to trick liberals into responding without thinking and thereby getting to issue a wicked "looks like somebody doesn't know about history!" burn, they may be in for a nasty surprise from the Freeper lot.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kro-Bar posted:

Why are white people falling all over themselves to defend Paula Deen's racism?

This is from my local college paper, in an article titled "Culture should be forgiving"

Hmmm yes that one-time slip of the tongue where she had black employees dressed like slaves for a party. Why even five years ago everyone was doing that. Who indeed are the real racists here?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Mel Gibson, Michael Richards, Dr. Laura, Paula Deen; has there ever been one of these celebrities outed by an awkward "oh no, it turns out I've been racist my whole life" moment whose defense hasn't been a bewildered :qq:"this isn't who I aaaaaaaaam":qq:?

A week to a month in an residential rehab clinic seems to purge the record for whatever reason, like character flaws are a mental illness or something.

As an antidote, here's CNN being really responsible and letting Levar Burton teach us something about racism:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/01/levar-burton-explains-his-ritual-to-prevent-being-shot-by-police/

A six-member panel discussion of racism with only one white guy, and the white guy is Tim Weiss. Let's hope some future school-newspaper columnists are watching.

EDIT: It's also worth pointing out that Dr. Laura's career is dead to anyone not in the fox-news cheering section, and that Michael Richards is still in the same state of nonentity that he was on the night he let his inner bigot come skidding into the room.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"Unwelcome and repulsive" seems an accurate summary of that essay. I wonder if she looked around for a site without a comments section when deciding where to post that "I'm not racist but" opus.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, every article Michael Reagan has ever written should be subtitled "Daddy! Daddy, do you love me yet?"

He was raped as a kid and spent his life terrified that the nude photos of him that his rapist took would be used to humiliate Ronny. That's not something I want to make fun of him for, but the dude is messed up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

Seriously? Wow, now I kinda feel bad. Still, doesn't change the fact that he's a regressive rear end in a top hat.

Bad things can happen to bad people too.

The thing that really makes me sad is thinking about what Ronny did when (if) the kid disclosed what happened. Being raised by Reagan probably counts as child abuse.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

So Thighmaster spokeswoman Suzanne Somers doesn't like Obamacare and is kinda misinformed about it:

http://blogs.wsj.com/experts/2013/10/28/suzanne-somers-the-affordable-care-act-is-a-socialist-ponzi-scheme/

I don't think there's any money at all in veterinary medicine, at least for the vets. Every one I've ever known has done it because they love animals, and they're all poor and they provide stuff at cost or below because they want to save everybody's dog or lizard. Suzanne Somers can eat a dick and then inject estrogen into her vagina twice a day while eating 300% of her RDA of vitamin c.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Install Windows posted:

It's because you're too "chicken" to participate in your "hawkish" policies. It was a much more popular insult back when there was a draft, and used against people who had dodged the draft by various legal or illegal means while still supporting the wars.

Yeah: it was a Vietnam-era insult for those who thoughtlessly supported the war but actively avoided being drafted in a time when conscription was universal and supposed to be something everybody went through together. Avoiding the draft meant that you were sending someone else off to die in your place and dodging a responsibility that even those who didn't support the war took on.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Grown man abandons his most deeply held politics because of something to do with video games, writes about it to influence an election that took place four days before:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/11/08/GamerGate-How-the-Media-Gave-Away-America

quote:

I hope character assassinating gamers without regard for collateral damage over the last 2 months was worth it.
Tuesday resulted in several firsts for me. I’d never voted full ticket—not in 20 years of participating in my civic duty. I did on Tuesday. I’ve often considered or voted for third party candidates when at the polls over the last 20 years. Tuesday I did not. Over the past 20 years, I’d spent between 2 and 6 weeks studying candidates and ballot measures to be as informed as possible. This election cycle, I was finished in hours. On this day, I stand before you to say that I did my part to hand the Legislative branch of the American government to the Republicans. Not that one vote matters in the grand scheme of things, but every traditionally Democratic vote that goes Republican is a two vote swing. So the Republicans own the Senate, but not with a “super majority” to completely dictate terms legislatively.
From my new perspective after Tuesday, it’s one down and three to go: Super majority in the Senate, the Presidency, and one Supreme Court justice. I’m disgusted for writing that last sentence.
What choice did I have? It would appear that the DiGRA was right—The Playful is Political. It would also appear that my politics are now a matter of survival for pieces of my identity that I hold dear. It can never be emphasized enough that 10 news outlets on the same day said I was dead or needed to die because of those parts of my identity. Will I forgive? Eventually. Time heals all wounds, after all. Will I forget? Never. The imgur’s will exist forever, as will the archives and screen caps of everything the hypocrites, charlatans, and their willing media puppets said and did to make me question two parts of my identity: gamer and liberal. It is only by force of will and self-determination that I don’t let those people immure me in self-doubt and regret. Right now, there is virtually no price too high for them to pay for what they tried to do to my identity.
There are roughly 730 days until Election Day 2016. The media that drove me away from my political leanings is going to need every one of those days to convince me that bashing gamers from August 28th until Tuesday was just a misunderstanding. They will need every one of those days to convince me that my input into the liberal ideology is valued regardless of my hobbies, support for GamerGate, or my gender. The alternative is to hand both the Legislative and Executive branch of the US Government over to Republicans, and as I found out on Tuesday, it is well within my capability to do so.
Tick tock. Tick tock.

Extra! Extra! Reactionary turd discovers that he really doesn't care about anything other than indulgence in petty entertainments that nobody in government has ever even heard of, refuses to compromise on issues that affect only the masturbatory fantasy world he uses to shut out all his fellow humans. Checkmate, Democrats.

Weird that Breitbart would call a conversion to the Republicans giving away America.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And he still talks about Republicans like they're bad, like he's decided to destroy America out of spite by voting Republican. He's not even saying that he's gone Dennis Miller because somebody made fun of him: he's saying that because somebody made fun of him, he's lashing out by refusing to support the political party he associates with the people who made fun of him.

He's saying they'll all pay for what they did to him--that he'll make them suffer for laughing at him--and some moron at Breitbart saw that and said, "hot dog! This is just the sort of story we need to maintain confidence in American conservatism."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DrProsek posted:

They're finally standing up to the powers that be, and saying "no more!" to the group of people that basically sit on top in society, and who basically define what American culture is.

Of course, I am talking about straight white men feminists, especially the non white ones.

(Yes, it is basically that.)

Well it is women who have the power to deny him sex, which I would imagine is the only thing he thinks about any time he speaks with or sees any.

If he can't have that to which he's entitled, he going to burn the world down with his tantrum.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm pretty sure that it was pretty much just a white supremacy group, and they probably jumped on it because they saw it as an easy target because historical accuracy is super important in a comic book movie based very loosely on ancient mythology.

They do. As someone who enjoys both videogames and comic books my best guess would be that it stems from the oppression or perceived oppression of people who engage in the hobbies. :siren: I'm in no way trying to suggest the plight of nerds is actually anywhere near as bad as the plights of black people or gay people. :siren: But much in the same way the fact that your family was brutally murdered doesn't mean I can't be sad when my pet dies, nerds generally face some degree of oppression, and I could see many them embracing a sort of nerd pride as a result of that. Combine that with the general lack of social skills many of them have and you get this kind of behavior.

Yet how do you convince them that it's not oppression when women don't want to date them or think they're gross? The core of their anger at women seems tied up in this, like they don't want women in video games because video games are where they escape to when they get really upset at how unattractive women find them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nerds are just insufferable about the things they like because they approach them with a sense of ownership and will furiously attack anything they like when it turns in a direction they don't like. Yet they don't just stop liking it, but become dedicated to attacking and defaming it while still following it religiously. Maybe part of that is because they feel like those things are part of their identity for appealing to them at the same time that nerd identity is constructed out of a persecution complex mixed with a superiority complex.

Just look at the gently caress posting on Breitbart: he says that he's decided to destroy America out of spite. There were tons of Lost fans, Star Trek fans, Batman fans, and Lord of the Rings fans behaving in exactly the same way toward television and film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

Seriously, read some of the posts on /kotakuinaction sometime. It's kind of fascinating to see mass delusion in effect on a population like that. They're trying to play military masterminds or something and talking about operations and counteroperations and how any day now the media is totally going to realise Anita Sarkeesian is a loving slut ethics in games journalism.

Thunderf00t made a video about how Stephen Colbert had sold out or wussed out or something when he interviewed Anita Sarkeesian and the whole time you just start to feel bad for him because he has no idea he's the bad guy.

Just look at the gamergate thread in GBS and you'll see the same thing, not that I'd recommend it. For the longest time I thought that they were just copy-pasting idiot posts from Reddit or fakeposting, but the majority of the thread is MRA misogyny with no hint of irony.

• Locked thread