Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

chumpchous posted:

Besides, if you want to talk about culture, Seattle doesn't really have an identifiable culture unless you want to count the 20-something coffee scene. It's mostly just tech yuppies.

What about Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
When you turn to eggs for a majority of your protein you can save a ton on meat.

Going ovo-lacto vegetarian knocked about 35% off my grocery bill. Healthy living at 8.30 a day requires some planning but is very feasible.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Elim Garak posted:

If you have the means to store food long term. I buy for two and we're at about nine dollars a day.

What are you buying that's going bad so quickly? Knowing the right produce to purchase is half the battle.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Domesticated animals absolutely are important in tandem for wheels for the purposes of transportation.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Install Gentoo posted:

Not for small loads. Like I said, wheelbarrows and handcarts are completely useful with only human power, even today! Rickshaws too. It's undoubtable that given enough time the native americans would have developed small, man-powered, wheeled transport. It would merely have required developing sturdy enough axles and wheels.

The Mormons had many of their number travel with their belongings thousands of miles using human-pulled handcarts, because they couldn't afford draft animals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_handcart_pioneers

Like you said, small loads. I don't disagree with you at all. But consider the effect on human societal evolution from being able to transfer large loads further distances more effectively on a diet of things inedible to humans. Wheelbarrows and handcarts do not offer that and Mormon pulled handcarts are nowhere near as effective.

I'm not arguing that these other purposes aren't useful, but they kind of miss the big picture.

• Locked thread