Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

There were two letters to the editor in my (formerly) local paper yesterday about OWS, and they both used some variation on "the protesters are having sex in public." Is this a new thing going round the talk radio circuit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

This is from my former local paper, the Cumberland Times in Maryland. This guy had a chance to get the problem but just doesn't quite make it.

Some idiot posted:

Could someone please help me understand something?

This past Friday a young lady I know had the need to go to the emergency room at the hospital. While at the hospital she was denied adequate medical services because she didn’t have insurance. Now she was given an extent of attention, but only after a $50 co-pay was paid.

This lady is not a bum, but a working 22-year-old college graduate. She is a U.S. citizen, not an illegal in this country. She works as a waitress, but not at a place or with enough time to get insurance, and going back to college to further her ability to gain substantial employment.

If the lady were an illegal this country, or an irresponsible girl that would run around and have illegitimate children, I could understand this. But no, those individuals in this country would be handed a state-issued medical card and given the best of services free.

This brings me to the point of my not understanding. How can we as a people, state, or nation treat our own like this? It is like we punish those that try to do the right thing by working hard and trying to make themselves a better person. Then we reward those that are here by breaking the law, and those that find the way of life is to be taken care of by the system.

Now as far as I am concerned this is a broken way of doing things. So unless someone can explain this reasoning to me, It is coming to an election year so maybe time to look into putting people in office that will try to fix this.

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

From my former local paper, it's the ultimate "I'm just saying" letter.
----------------------------------------------------------------
To the Editor:
Cumberland Times-News

Its very frustrating to read and hear disgusting statements about the administration.

However, I wonder if there is any truth in what is being passed around on the Internet, written in emails, and transmitted in other electronic devices.

Questions such as: “Was Barrack Obama born in the United States?”; “Is President Obama a mid-eastern plant within our government ?”; “Is the goal for our president to turn our country into a European style social state?”; “Does Obama practice Islam, and not Christianity?”

And there are more! So I wonder, why, with all these accusations and bewildering statements being so widespread, and in some cases rather convincing, would any one in the United States of America, consider voting for such a person.

For me, I think he's a great orator, politician, and in good health! These are displayed frequently!

But, as an American, should we really put these outstanding attributes first on the list for our choice as our leader.

Would it not be wiser and more rewarding to consider someone, who without question, is American and wants what we want: to maintain the guidelines for a democracy that represents the majority; practices and believes the same spiritual philosophy that most of us do; promotes the type of economy that our mothers and fathers, and their mothers and fathers pursued, attained and sustained.

Are the rumors well founded or are they just political ploys?

Makes me wonder. It's certainly more comforting to be sure, without any reason to wonder, will our next president represent America and stand up for us, and protect our way of life.

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

I love the way Dr. King was known for 'disobedience, disorder and civil unrest' while the guy who betrayed his country and led an army which killed thousands upon thousands of American soldiers in a loving civil war somehow comes out the better man. Nope, nothing disorderly about that.

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

This is the same Dr Ablow who thinks that Newt's multiple infidelities just show how likable he is, right?

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

ts12 posted:

a followup has come in!!! This is not a joke, it is a serious letter. God bless old people.

the comments deliver once again as some guy asked a state senator if he could shoot at black people with their loud hippity hop music:
Just eggs and tomatoes? For a long time I've wanted all vehicles emitting more than 80 dB at a distance of 50 feet to be declared pistol and riflery targets. This would improve our audio environment while, at the same time, improving Floridians' marksmanship.

I suggested this to State Se. Mike "Road Rage" Bennett once, but never heard back from him

Along the 'God bless old people' line, here is one from the Cumberland, MD Times-News. He just trails off into general ranting by the end.
----------
Isn’t it ironic how a young person that isn’t anywhere close to retirement can receive Social Security benefits, free housing, food stamps and a medical card?
I think if a individual is receiving any public or federal benefits, first, they should be required to pass a random drug test.
Second, if any underage children reside in the residence they should be required to stay enrolled in school or receive a GED.
Finally if the adult recipient is receiving any benefits due to alcohol or drug addiction they should have to complete a drug or alcohol program and show documentation that they’re seeking gainful employment.
This is the United States of America, land of opportunity.
This doesn’t mean sit on your rear end waiting on your SSI check and your Independence Card to reload and your rent to be paid with your hat cocked on your head like a gangster and your boxer shorts pulled up under your arm pits with the crotch of your pants hanging down to your knees.
JFK said it best: “Ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.”
Stand up be proud, take off your hat when the National Anthem plays, fly the American flag on the appropriate days, and quit milking the system dry that us honest deserving taxpaying citizens contribute to daily!
Michael R. Fields
Cumberland
-------------

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

Another wonderful letter from the Cumberland Times-News. This guy does not have the best grasp on how hypothetical some things are. Oh and he's pretty much an idiot too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the Editor:
Cumberland Times-News

Extremist left-wingers like to talk about hypotheticals. The earth will melt, the poor starve, or blacks hung from trees.

So today I’d like to write about facts and choices and your birthright as an American.

FDR foisted Social Security onto a people frightened by the Great Depression. Today that program is bankrupt; all that it stands upon are notes obligating the taxpayers to pay for it.

But did anyone ask you if you wanted to participate? Were you given a choice? The Supreme Court, one ten-thousandth percent of the American Republic’s population said no, you don’t have a choice, some freedom and liberty huh?

Prior to that, in 1913 the states foolishly ratified the amendment that created the income tax. It was wholly immoral and once again, do you have a choice about that? The power to tax, the creation of a central bank, did you have a choice about those things?

Authoritarian leftists and their counterparts in the Republican Party like to say: no man is an island, what about the services you enjoy?

Well, because we have no choice, how can anyone answer that? I think that we’d have police, fire and the military because those things existed before income taxes and central banking.

Now we have Obamacare. Were you asked about that? Do you have a choice?

No civilization on earth has ever been in debt as we are now. No one knows what will happen. If you worry about your future and if you will have money or a job or a place to live, I wonder then how many times you wished you could opt out.

America used to be about those choices. Now you can read here the writings of small-minded, hate-filled people, the antithesis of freedom-loving people. Their common theme is that you should have no choice.

Why, if you make money, maybe you should have to have a gold dollar sign stitched onto your clothing. It’s time for choices again. The Martin O’Malleys, and Barack Obamas only have power while you choose to give it to them.

It is time to make choices and exercise your freedom again, time to deal with America’s real enemies and take back your birthright of freedom.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I love people who think people on food stamps are going out eating lobster and steak all the time and coming back to their free section 8 housing. I know people who think this, and when I ask them if its so great why not quit your job and get those benefits. They tell me its because they are too ethical or some bullshit and don't want to set that kind of example for their children. They are just dumb.

I wish I could get in on this sweet steak and lobster action. I'm on food stamps and all mine seem to go for cheap cuts of meat, pasta and staples. Sometimes we really splurge and buy all the stuff for dirty rice. I really need to find out the code for the all luxury food level I suppose.

• Locked thread