Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jack Gladney posted:

A week to a month in an residential rehab clinic seems to purge the record for whatever reason, like character flaws are a mental illness or something.

Didn't it come out a few years back that antipsychotics take the edge off extreme racist views?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Pixelboy posted:

Humbolt Squid, but they'd just as happily attack you given the chance. One of the few animals I won't get in the water with.

Wikipedia says they grow to almost five feet, which is frightening in a species that only lives a year.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The funny part is, Dio got the gesture from his mother, to whom it was a sign to ward off evil influences.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

SeraphSlaughter posted:

If AC/DC is getting this lady riled up, extreme forms of metal would probably cause her mind to implode. Perhaps hammer smash her face.

If you're not careful with those references, you might end up with every bone broken.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Chandragupta posted:

Why is there a narrative that there are bands of black guys wandering around looking for white people to murder? All of these conservative posts fail to mention that black people are disproportionatly the victims of violent crime.

Because to right-wingers only white people are real.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mike's never going to get over the fact that his dad didn't care about him, is he?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Rich people loving hate low unemployment because it raises wages and reduces their control over their employees, and many econ professors (like Mark Thoma) are basically lapdogs to power.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

"Chickenhawk" was also a popular insult during the Iraq War, which was planned and run by a bunch of former draft-dodgers.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Reminder that the concept of a person being homosexual or heterosexual was completely foreign to the ancient Greeks and Romans.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Medium has Bors and Jen Sorenson, and also I think Ryan Pequin, and they're the only reasons to ever click on a Medium link.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

constantIllusion posted:

I've always wondered why people like that think that no one who has tattoos and piercings, or who wears baggy clothing, ever works. It's like in their minds that only people who wear polo shirts and khakis as casual wear are gainfully employed.

Because aesthetic cultural markers are more important to a lot of people than basic sense.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

via Terminal Lance:

Bold the whole thing, holy SHIIIIIIIT

I want to know about this guy's deployment history: is he a career desk jockey, or did he suffer a traumatic brain injury? I don't think there are any other possibilities.

The marines I knew when I was in the military kind of took it as a point of we're-tougher-than-you pride that their facilities suck. That doesn't mean they want it all to suck more. I'm from Alaska and we take full advantage of our "you don't know what cold is" bragging rights, that doesn't mean we want it to get colder.

You know, the vets I've known have been pretty unanimous in disliking being painted as bloodthirsty psychopaths who care less about getting paid decently than about getting to kill people. I'm curious as to who thought giving this guy a mic was a good idea.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

He must not watch a lot of American football.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

A discount for praying publicly? Can I get one for telling poor people that they have to sit on the floor, too? Since that's another thing Jesus explicitly said not to do.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I refuse to believe that this is real.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kegluneq posted:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones..."?

...but words can make me think I deserved it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Torpor posted:

I really think this is like a soda/pop discussion. Whereas you refer to violence as some kind of umbrella term I would use other words. Why you prefer the word violence is beyond me.

Because avoiding the word violence is being done to minimize the harm.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

Still not actually a statement about "all gamers" in general, which was the original claim.

If you assume that gamers as a whole support you because you lack the ability to comprehend that other opinions and viewpoints are valid or even exist except as dishonest strategies to take away your toys, I can see how you'd see that as aimed at all gamers.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 19, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Part of why I even care about gamergate is that I don't identify as a gamer because I find gamer culture and lifestyle pathetic. I am not defined by my hobbies or consumer choices, but I meet the general definition of a hardcore gamer.

I was at a neighborhood party and there was this drunk nerdy kid there. He wanted to talk about internet poo poo so I obliged. Eventually we disagreed and he called me a casual. I told him I was in a QTF clan back in 1997. He didn't know what QTF was. I asked him when he was born. He said 1993.

To some of these fools any unorthodox opinion indicates you're No True Gamer which just illustrates how it's all a severe emotional reaction to percieved threats. Gaming cred isn't important, ideological purity is.

One of the funniest gamer misogynist grievance things is that timeline where year after year women make fun of the creator for playing videogames until they get into casual games and suddenly want to ban all games they don't like. The funniest part, aside from the sheet unreality and telling us way more about the creator that he meant to tell us, is that the timeline starts in 1995.

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah, that seems much more like people suddenly learning what left politics actually are how belief systems inform behavior. It's the other side of growing up churchy in a small conservative town and seeing your gay friend actually get kicked out into the street by his parents and seeing your own parents refuse to help.

If your values mean anything to you, you have to act on them. Fuckhead fedora scum who feel attacked by women when they don't get their way 100% of the time are just now finding out what their values really are and were all along. If you think you were a liberal before Anita Sarkeesian came along, you just didn't know who you were, because you were always a monster--far beyond being reactionary, but sadistic and immature.

I remember thinking I was super liberal and lefty right up until I (STEREOTYPE INCOMING) took a class on feminist ethics and epistemology which used radical lesbian feminist writers for most of the course texts, particularly Marilyn Frye's outstanding The Politics of Reality. Completely opened up my head and showed me just how small and blinkered and disorganized my understanding and politics had been to that point. It wasn't easy, though- when you're reading stuff that's basically way ahead of where you are and implying that where you are is in fact way shittier than you thought it was, it can feel like a personal attack. To somebody who's not approaching such an experience in a spirit of openness and inquiry, I can absolutely imagine it being incredibly psychologically painful top deal with, even if that doesn't excuse how the shitheads are dealing with it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

To be fair, as a person who plays violent video games and has played violent video games for a decade and a half, gamers are really loving myopic about the ways that violent video-games might be informing our perspectives on violence. It's sort of like goatse. The first time I saw goatse, I freaked the gently caress out (because I was like 12, but still). Goatse doesn't even phase me today, it's actually comforting in a weird way, like an old friend. It's literally as neutral as looking at a fruit bowl. I'm not sure that it's a good idea to get used to violent imagery like that, and I think that's what's happened to a lot of people.

It's amazing how many people can't tell the difference between "sexist/violent media can influence our attitudes toward gender/violence" and "VIOLENT/SEXIST MEDIA FORCES YOU TO KILL/RAPE PEOPLE" and think they can dismiss the former due to the obvious falsehood of the latter.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Goatman Sacks posted:

Gamergate was always about conservatism. Namely, white men being upset that their play toys might at some point not be 100% oriented towards them.

And that women's bodies being to women.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

No one is obligated to take anything at face value or give anyone the benefit of the doubt. But inasmuch as gaming media is worthless and corrupt by all accounts, as a nerd, I sympathize with the idea that a bunch of fellow nerds who liked games decided to object online. Even from the start maybe the majority was reactionary MRAs and other weirdos. But as an inclusionary leftist I don't believe in this sneering chauvinism.

Ethics was never anything but a mask to fool overly-charitable types like yourself.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i'm not a gamer NERD so i don't know this issue as well as you NERDS do

if you have an opinion about this topic you're horrible anyway

i'm a good leftist so i try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt

i'm too busy studying deep philosophical issues to care about this one too much

i wonder what the next feeble excuse will be

He's making a joke wherein he interprets my post as being about ethics as a field. It's a funny joke. Relax, chill, and have a chuckle.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ErIog posted:

It's an uneasy coalition, and transgender is a weird thing to lump in with L/G/B because it's not an issue of sexual attraction. So a lot of gay people do not identify at all with the trans movement because it's something they've not experienced. It's similar to how a lot of straight people couldn't identify with the experiences of gay people(and maybe still can't in some ways). Wanting to be a different gender and having sexual attraction to the same gender are very different experiences.

Until Obama announced his support for gay marriage there was debate in the black community over that issue. Gay rights activists were comparing it to miscegenation laws, but that argument did not gain traction with a lot of black people. Some of them had trouble identifying with the comparison. One of the strategies of the anti-gay organizations, before the tide of public opinion became stronger, was to exploit gay marriage as a wedge issue in the black community in order to get votes.

Experiencing discrimination or being stigmatized by society is not a universal rallying call because it takes work to identify with experiences that are not your own. Religion can also play a role in which values you believe should be protected in society. It's possible to be a religious person in America that didn't agree with miscegenation laws but also doesn't support gay marriage due to the particular brand of religion they follow.

LGBT is an aspirational acronym that shows what a lot of people want the movement to be, but is not necessarily reflective of the goals of individual efforts. Trans-activists sometimes worry that the T part of LGBT could be jettisoned if it was politically unhelpful to the aims of LGB people.

I'm a fan of the term "Gender and Sexual Minorities" (GSM) since it's a big umbrella and explicitly references the position of those groups in society.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Actually, it's about ethics in parking spaces.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

My favorite part of this is how very, very carefully he avoids actually mentioning what happened in 2008 and why.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

This is by far the whiniest, most pathetic thing reeking of wounded aspiration to performing masculinity I've read in months, and that includes a lot of Gamergate horseshit.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It would be more accurate to say that men in general tend to be misogynists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yesterday I saw gas for $1.76, I dunno what he's on about. Gas is cheaper than it's been in like a decade.

• Locked thread