Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Bruce Leroy posted:

Yeah, they are cadets at the Air Force Academy who live there the whole time they attend the school, so it's somewhat unrealistic to expect them to go off-base every time they want to attend their respective services.

But don't forget that the Air Force Academy has problems in recent years over aggressive proselytizing by Evangelical Christians, including forcing cadets to attend screening of "The Passion of the Christ" and trying to coerce them to attend religious services.

Cal Thomas and other Evangelicals are probably just butt hurt that other religions are given equal standing, which likely hurts their recruiting.

This isn't just the Air Force, and it's not recent. If you're in Marine boot camp, you are given additional chores during services if you do not attend (christian) religious services and are referred to by instructors as a "heathen". This isn't an insult or whatever, it's basically your designation and instructors will give you extra poo poo at every available opportunity, in order to wheedle you into going to church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Bruce Leroy posted:

They basically punish non-religious or non-Christian Marines with more work while the Christians just veg out in the chapel pews?

How is that legal at all?

NO ATHEISTS IN FOXHOLES

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CaptBushido posted:

I have no clue what story/letter he's referring to originally, but I want to find it.

Some native americans were pissed because osama bin laden's codename was Geronimo.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Bruce Leroy posted:

The idea behind being against tort reform, besides enriching trial lawyers, is that those kinds of systems to which you refer where the loser pays the legal costs of the winner potentially disenfranchise poor litigants.

If there is always the threat that you will be forced to pay the exorbitant legal costs of the person you are suing if/when your case is deemed frivolous, then poor people may be less likely to bring suits or even be able to find lawyers to take their cases unless they are slam-dunks, as they will not be able to pay the other party's legal costs if they lose.

The measure being discussed wouldn't require the loser to pay if their case were deemed frivolous, only if they lose. As a point of reference, tobacco companies were exonerated hundreds of times before a court finally determined what was already well-known: that they had continued marketing cigarettes long after they had known of their effects.

This measure will compound the effect of the wealthy's advantage, money, in a court, and discourage legitimate claimants from seeking justice, because it's more than common enough in the american court system that the right party isn't the victorious party.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I love the way it's worded- you know, sand, water, a variety of fruit flavors, and oh yeah, BENZENE.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I decided to look up that footnote, and it was an op-ed article written by this guy:

http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=media_PeterSchwartz

Who also wrote-

"Stop Apologizing for Civilian Casualties" - http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=7786&news_iv_ctrl=2181

"Freedom vs. Unlimited Majority Rule" - http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=12777&news_iv_ctrl=2181

"In Defense of Income Inequality" - http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=14321&news_iv_ctrl=2181

"Feminism's War on Objectivity" - http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5216&news_iv_ctrl=2181

Sounds like a rock-solid citation, a powerful cornerstone for any article.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
:( Andy thinks my fundamental nature is being a neckbeard. Not cool, man.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Guilty Spork posted:

The lady who thinks there's a "War on Men" is back, with a whole bundle of straw men (or straw feminists) to demolish. Also, a few more bucketloads of :biotruths:.

"Just because you can do the same job a man can do doesn’t mean you need to let him know it."

Holy poo poo.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Oh I know, but people still buy into the lies after you tell them that, because they all know (they don't) some union shop where people slack off all the time.

Just to give you some perspective, the company I work at fired an upper-level IT guy for saying a ton of racist poo poo during a non-harrassment seminar to be "edgy". He'd done the same poo poo the previous year and had been warned about it before the current year, so they fired him. Dude lawyered up and got a great settlement because HR hadn't kept sufficient documentation of his past actions. Now that guy 100% deserved to be fired, but people have rights, even dickheads, and unions protect those rights without you having to find some ambulance-chaser on daytime television and give him most of the settlement. If companies handle a firing correctly, poo poo like that won't happen, union or no union.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Glaeser's a great guy, sure he is against government engaging in anti-poverty programs, but did you know that he wants to make Gilded Age-style tenements legal again? So think about THAT.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Basically every joint-stock settlement had a period of time in which things were more communal because it (surprise) made it more efficient to bootstrap the colony together if people were more worried about everyone surviving the winter instead of who owns what. This was, on paper, a temporary arrangement, and successful colonies were intended to transition to more traditional capital/merchantile as the colony got on its feet. Again, ALL joint-stock settlements. Every one. But this fact, combined with Jamestown's early troubles invents this thing where like, Jamestown has (more) communism, things are going bad, people are being lazy, later things are better and they have less communism. Therefore,

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There's nobody here!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

nerds generally face some degree of oppression

Is this actually true, though? I literally cannot recall anytime someone acted in an uncalled-for way toward me since leaving high school, except in the context of political arguments and other nerds being mad about games.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

The "NERDS!" attitude is silly. Pretty much everyone posting on SA qualifies as a nerd.

Yo I wanted to address this real quick because if you were talking about anyone you were definitely talking about me. I'm overweight, socially awkward, I have a job making software that distributes loving minecraft mods, and my hobbies are even lamer. But I don't "identify" as a nerd, and it's because I don't want to be associated with the sort of people who do. Call me a geek or whatever the new "hip" loving word is, but "nerd" is a label defined in the minds of its adherents primarily by how society has wronged its ubermensch and I want nothing to do with it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

katlington posted:

Who demonized what now?

You see, cultural criticism is the same as bullying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Technogeek posted:

He sounds like the kind of person who would use unsigned variables when calculating cash flow.

That's just a good strategy for maximizing your cash!

• Locked thread