Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So my local paper is awful.

Though I'm somewhat encouraged that in the follow-up letters to the editor they published a bunch of well-reasoned responses and the only letters agreeing with the editorial they could find to publish were two semi-literate half-paragraphs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fandyien posted:

"At Lakehead University here in Thunder Bay there are now washrooms designated for men, women and LGBT"
Incidentally, I'm pretty sure LU doesn't actually do that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Incognito is his real last name?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
But are those the actual data points used to generate the curve, or an assortment of example countries being compared to the curve?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

bobservo posted:

Guy ran his family like a business -- what a miserable existence. "Kids, if you don't get your numbers up I'm withholding love for the remainder of the fiscal year!"

I also enjoyed the sentiment that they willed food allergies away by being strict.

Well, they started with 16 kids you see...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there even a furor? I thought it was just a few nobodies on blogs trying to stir poo poo up. I haven't heard anything about this from real news sources. I wouldn't have known about it if not for this thread.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Just avoid anyone who actually self-identifies as "a Gamer". It's for the best.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nintendo Kid posted:

Comic book fans definitely do this though.

I remember the totally-not-racist actually-about-accuracy-in-representations-of-norse-mythology nerd rage when Idris Elba was cast as Heimdall in the Thor movie, it was sweet.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

goku im piss posted:

Its the internet, whats new about that?
It's kind of adorable seeing a generation of "Gamers" run into the real world where you actually get in trouble for calling someone a human being and threatening to burn their house down and rape them. "Gamer Culture" (lol) is toxic and incredibly unselfware about how toxic it is.

Games Journalism has always been a joke, with reviewers being funded primarily by ad revenue from the companies making the very games they're reviewing. That's not news or surprising to anyone. But no one really gave much of a poo poo because it's just video games so why would they? Then as soon as you throw some women game designers in the mix suddenly Ethics In Game Journalism is an issue. But it's totally not just misogynistic bullshit, honest!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's not even as if anyone is actually proposing anything like banning certain games or legally regulating their content. It's literally just some women publicly saying "Hey maybe we should think about representations of women in games and the cultural impact of that?" and Gamers going apeshit in response.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

7c Nickel posted:

Gaming press has also traditionally been pretty reliant on advertising from the people they're supposed to be reviewing. It's danger for any enthusiast press, but model trains don't generally bring in one hundred billion dollars a year.

This has always been a thing, but no one really cared much about journalistic integrity in video game reviews because they're just loving video game reviews. Until a girl does one and she has opinions you don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

OwlFancier posted:

It's surely not a centennial unless until 2088?

Or did Reagan travel back in time and rule the USA during 1918?

The centennial of his birth. The article is 4 years old.

Any time someone links Forbes it's worth reminding people that Forbes.com is very loosely related to the print maganize. The print magazine, for example, has editors. The website is essentially an open blogging platform that works on a model where "contributors" (literally anybody) can post basically anything and if it's clickbaity enough to actually generate traffic, the author gets a small fraction of the ad revenue.

• Locked thread