Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

katlington posted:

If that cop had gun those two people handing out free tickets would be dead right now. I assume aggressive is code for black?

Given Calgary's demographics, Chinese is about four times as likely, followed by Indian and Filipino.

Of course, now we're apologizing for him, as Canadians are incapable of not apologizing for anything:

http://www.canada.com/news/calgary/Give+Walt+Wawra+break+comments+about+Nose+Hill+gentlemen+some/7067730/story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
First off: I read the whole thing. You're right, that's weird, and kind of creepy. The random pseudo-philosophical stuff was kind of offputting, as well as the implicit assumption that the only moral truths are traditionalist Christian.

Second, I like the implication that scouting up in Canada has collapsed because Scouts Canada is unisex.

It hasn't. We do have fewer people involved as a proportion of our population; there's about 100 000 people in Scouts Canada and another 25 000 in the French version, l'Association des Scouts du Canada. There's closer to 2.5 million in the Boy Scouts. Canada has about a tenth the population of the States, so it's about half as popular, I guess.

But it always has been. Scouting has never been as big a cultural thing up here as it was in the States; I didn't know anybody involved in it growing up, or if I did I didn't know they were involved. Plus, there was no significant drop as they gradually added girls starting well before I was born.

Also, we still have Girl Guides. They have cookies, but not so many kinds as in the States.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

hakarl posted:

Man, being poor sounds awesome!

I don't know what to say other than that I can only hope this is satire, but I don't think it is. I know better than to read internet comments, what's wrong with me?

In some cases, the author's correct, though a lot of it predates 1912 for rich people. Running water existed from the early 1900s, though the copper pipes were expensive so it was usually left for public buildings; still, it wouldn't be surprising to find the rich using the water system. Milk chocolate was on sale from about 1875, and chocolate in general was first sold in the States around 1850 (England confectioners developed a chocolate bar for general consumption in 1847), so it was certainly around (again, for the rich) in 1912.

Of course this is more a statement on how far we've come technologically as a society than anything else. Being poor sucks no matter when you do it! This is just a long-winded take on the '99.6% of 'poor' families have a refrigerator!' picture, which is why it's so aggravating.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Walter posted:

Personally, I think the papers print these just to troll their readers.

Sometimes I wonder if the people who write them intentionally conflate abiogenesis with evolution (to say nothing of... this stuff, whatever it is, with evolving metals) to make evolution seem ridiculous, even though the theory of evolution isn't the same thing as a theory of abiogenesis, or whether they really don't understand that they're not the same thing.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nevvy Z posted:

And any other black person they hurt is probably a criminal and part of the problem!

Some of them believe this is a plus and not a minus. Black on black violence is not bad because it results in fewer of them. In fact, they argue the best thing to do with black people is just to let them kill each other (the term is urban ferals). It's only a problem when they branch out.

Reading the Freep thread is hard sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Honestly, both are pretty accurate.

• Locked thread