Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Amarkov posted:

Or mobile internet, or just turn off automatic redirect/javascript

You can even just load the page and then hit the stop button before it redirects you to the black screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

quote:

Two hundred and thirty years ago our country was established under a theory of equality that all Americans were born with the right to take advantage of their unique set of talents given by God.

The first thing I thought of was this:

quote:

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun.

It's not bigoted or anything, I'm just putting them out on the field because they're the best suited to it.

Hat? What's a hat?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Cal Thomas is a poo poo, but I stopped reading right here:

quote:

Unfortunately, a reliance on family and faith, which allowed many African Americans to survive the horrors of Reconstruction

Yeah, black people were really getting poo poo on during the reconstruction. Wait, no. The other way around. It was after reconstruction ended and the Federal troops were withdrawn that they really got hosed in the rear end again, reconstruction was the period in which there were elected black legislators from the south and they were being treated like human beings

My bad!

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

quote:

That’s because when everyone can marry, there is no marriage left.

If everyone is super, then no one is!
- Dr. R. Syndrome, PHD, MD

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
I really can't feel anything but pity for Michael Reagan. ts12 missed one.

quote:

According to Nancy Reagan in her memoirs published in 1989, Reagan disclosed to his parents in 1987 a very painful incident in his boyhood that he had kept secret for many years. "At the age of 8, he had been sexually molested by a camp counselor, who had also taken nude pictures of him.... Poor Mike had spent his whole life racked with guilt and in constant fear that these pictures would someday surface in a way that might embarrass him and, especially, his adoptive father." Speaking at the opening of the Michael Reagan Center in Spring, Texas, October 7, 2005, Michael said, "At 8 years old, I thought I was going to hell."... Michael said he was horrified that the pictures would be made public and ruin the lives of his family.

Given that, and the apparently distant father aspects (graduation story) it's really not at all hard to see why he'd idolize and internalize protecting his father's image and reputation. Poor guy.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Emy posted:

Oh, you're right. I hate it when I misattribute quotes like that.

Has the WSJ had any bad articles of that caliber?

I can't find the original article for free, so have a few quotes.

quote:

Who are these lucky duckies? They are the beneficiaries of tax policies that have expanded the personal exemption and standard deduction and targeted certain voter groups by introducing a welter of tax credits for things like child care and education. When these escape hatches are figured against income, the result is either a zero liability or a liability that represents a tiny percentage of income.

Say a person earns $12,000. After subtracting the personal exemption, the standard deduction and assuming no tax credits, then applying the 10% rate of the lowest bracket, the person ends up paying a little less than 4% of income in taxes. It ain't peanuts, but not enough to get his or her blood boiling with tax rage.

Those poor are so lucky not to have to pay tax*!

* Only applies to Federal Income Tax.

• Locked thread