Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

30.5 Days posted:

This isn't just the Air Force, and it's not recent. If you're in Marine boot camp, you are given additional chores during services if you do not attend (christian) religious services and are referred to by instructors as a "heathen". This isn't an insult or whatever, it's basically your designation and instructors will give you extra poo poo at every available opportunity, in order to wheedle you into going to church.

Pretty much not true.

There's services for a variety of religions. There might be minor poo poo to do if you don't go anywhere, but I would usually use the time to write letters or read the newspaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

CaptBushido posted:

I actually think it may be drill/training instructor specific, like most things in basic. If they want to be a dick for a dick reason, they can... or not, it's all up to the NCO. Which isn't really a good thing.

Mainly this. DI's in the Marine Corp basically run their platoon as private little fiefdoms and the rules, as they are, are pretty much universally violated in a variety of different ways depending on the DI (lol at the no physical violence rule for my platoon). The thing is that theres a whole system for fixing the abuses and it's only the code of silence that lets it run that way. If you push back and call them on their overstepping of boundaries, poo poo gets fixed in a hurry usually and if you request mast with a valid complaint, the DI will often disappeared ASAP. Religious accommodations were something that always struck me as very by-the-book and well-run, probably because recruits are more willing to fight back about that whereas getting hit is something thats just accepted as part of training by the enlistees.

The marine corp was probably the least religious service in what I encountered. There's too strong a streak of mild sociopathy, wanna-be badass, and outright weird dudes to really foster a religious environment.

Edit: In my experience, the air force was the most religious service, by far. Though Navy chaplains were run by an evangelical mafia as well.

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 3, 2011

• Locked thread