Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

When did Chavez become a dictator anyway?

He's in this awkward position where the government does kinda dictatorial things (for instance, press freedom isn't really a thing in Venezuela), but the populace as a whole supports him without any blatant gaps in knowledge. Basically, it requires some effort to disprove the assertion that he is a dictator, so it gets traction among people who find it convenient to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Goatman Sacks posted:

His decree powers aren't any stronger than the US president's executive order powers, and opposing press in leftist countries are CIA front groups like 90% of the time, he's right in curtailing them.

Oh no, I wasn't trying to make a value judgement, just explaining what the thought process is. Remember when that news station literally supported the coup, and everyone got mad when four years later his government didn't renew their broadcasting license?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Bruce Leroy posted:

Any links for this because it's insane.

I'm pretty sure advocating for a coup wouldn't be tolerated in the US either.

Rick Perry's sedition in regards to Texas seceding from the US was tolerated because everyone knew that he was just trying to sound like a hard-rear end and didn't really mean it, just like how he railed against Obama's stimulus and then eagerly accepted the stimulus money for Texas to close its budget shortfall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Venezuelan_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat_attempt

Goatman Sacks wasn't exaggerating even a little bit. It's hard to allow the media to stay privatized when they all team up to overthrow the government.

Amarkov fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 3, 2011

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
Can we just agree that the worst part was when Fidel "Communism means I get whatever I want" Castro jumped to the defense of democracy while US officials talked about how Chavez had it coming for being so leftist.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Bradylama posted:

Any sane government would have arrested all the executives, tried them for treason, and scattered the employees to the winds. Just letting their broadcasting license expire was an act of supreme mercy all things considered.

Oh no, they only let one station's broadcasting license expire. The rest, including the one in which the coup was plotted, weren't punished at all (except by being forced to comply with new regulations).

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Bradylama posted:

New regulations? Those monsters! :qq:

I don't think you understand how Orwellian it is. They can't show heavy violence before 10 PM, they have to interrupt programming for Presidential announcements, and they're required to broadcast political campaigns!

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
I mean, anti-Mormonism is a problem, as any form of discrimination is. I think that editorial would be perfectly reasonable if they didn't have the "and also look at how much better black people have it" message.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

I find it kind of amusing how hard they're going on the "If you hate the excesses of capitalism, you clearly hate all capitalism." Literal children.

I mean, there are plenty of communists who are willing to do the same thing in the other direction. The difference is that everyone is embarassed by them and keeps them in a corner, rather than trotting them out as Strong Liberal Thinkers.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
I honestly don't understand the point there. Are we expected to believe that MarriageADA would hire someone who supported gay marriage? Or is this just blatant "we can do things you can't because we're right"?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
At least he's actually in the past, unlike Chavez...

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
The worst part is, he's not even arguing that all poor kids can or should bootstrap themselves into success. He's arguing that only the smart ones will be able to live decently, and somehow that isn't bad.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Also what the hell does this guy mean when he says "Prevalent homosexuality has made its appearance in human history before and has never lasted." Does he think was there some kind of mass extinction in human history caused by homosexuality, or is it just "Gay sex caused the fall of the Roman Empire"

No, that's it. There's a fairly common talking point that cultures who permit "sexual deviancy" (whatever the commentator thinks that means) start decaying and get their country destroyed.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Bruce Leroy posted:

Pfft, wouldn't you like to know, muggle?

Google cache:ssh:

Or mobile internet, or just turn off automatic redirect/javascript

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Except you would also have to be blind about what YOUR term implies about the other side.

Being called Anti-Choice is not only accurate (They don't want it to be a choice) but also a lot better than being called Anti-Life, which isn't accurate (They don't want ALL babies aborted).

I've definitely met people who, for this reason, prefer to identify as anti-abortion.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
It actually is terrible to force poor people to only eat what we think they ought to (and limit food donations because of it :psyduck:). Stopped clock right twice a day or something.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Radbot posted:

If Tim Wise is bad because people pay attention to him because he's white, can a white person ever be an anti-racist ally in any meaningful sense? Can a man ever not be part of the patriarchy? I thought the whole idea was to use your privilege to bring down that privilege, it sounds like that's not good enough.

The best intentions and the best actions don't somehow get rid of white privilege. It's wonderful that Tim Wise is a voice of anti-racist activism, but that doesn't make it less horrible that white people are the most celebrated voices of anti-racist activism.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Autumncomet posted:

I didn't read that as an attack on Wise but a condemnation that people are only taking into account his ideas about race because he's white.

Yeah, this is exactly the point. The only obligation Wise has is to recognize that this is lovely, and he does. (I mean, ideally he'd refuse to take money from those people, but capitalism corrupts everything etc.)

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Autumncomet posted:

It's an institutional thing. There's a very real phenomenon where people of color that talk about racism aren't viewed as "objective" in their concerns whereas the white guy will be. It's dumb and lovely but if Wise is helping out, can't really condemn him for it.

I remember that one of the appeals judges for California Prop 8 was gay, and everyone was worried about how he could possibly render an objective decision about gay marriage.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

National Review posted:

Conservative think tanks emerged as a parallel institution — they were intended to provide a safe haven for right-leaning academics in light of the fact that academia itself was hostile to politically incorrect thought. In this context Richwine’s dismissal seems like a scene out of Bizarro World: The dissertation earned its author a doctorate, and it bore the signatures of Harvard professors Christopher Jencks, a social-policy researcher who sits on the board of The American Prospect; George Borjas, a labor economist; and Richard J. Zeckhauser, a political economist. And yet years after its publication it caused the resignation of its author from a conservative think tank.

It doesn't seem like a scene out of Bizarro world. It seems like a clear illustration of the actual dynamic here; academia is open to considering all viewpoints, even if the consensus strongly rejects them, while conservative think tanks require uniformly correct views. I don't see how you could avoid reaching this conclusion, unless you had some ulterior motive that prevents you from recognizing the obvious.

Oh wait

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Emden posted:

To be fair, there are a lot of taboo subjects which one could easily see as "political correctness". I won't go into details but try to critique a minority -- racial, religious, etc. -- on any subject and you'll see what I mean. Of course if it's white, Christian, or anything `mainstream` you can say whatever you want. Academia could do with some conservative voices imo.

Which sounds good, except that you are literally responding to evidence against it. A guy got a Ph.D from Harvard with a dissertation about how immigrants are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

quote:

What difference did it make that White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Attorney General Holder, President Barack Obama and U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice had degrees from prestigious universities when they misled the American people or Congress?

The concept of government spin was invented in an emergency Benghazi meeting between Obama, Clinton, and Satan.

• Locked thread