Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

JohnClark posted:

Goddamn, he hits nearly all the conservative tropes relating to environmentalism/the left. Smelly hippies, burning flags, "hate freedom" (literally), crying statue of liberty, welfare queens. He missed a couple easy ones though, he should make the car a hybrid or a volt/leaf, and have one of the passengers lighting up a bong.

That's the weekly (usually) editorial cartoon from The Onion. That's the style, the crying Statue of Liberty being a particularly repeated image in the cartoons, although she doesn't seem to appear in the last few.

edit: The cartoons also have a huge thing for Star Trek, which I just love. This is far from the only Star Trek themed cartoon:

Elim Garak fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Helsing posted:

I ask because as a non-American I am literally mystified at the obsession that American conservatives have with the New York Times. I don't think any other industrialized country in the world would consider the New York Times a particularly left wing newspaper, especially not with Thomas Friedman and David Brookes as regular commentators.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The right has spent the last two decades defining, redefining, and perverting what "left wing" means in the U.S.

And this redefining has gone so far as to define Friedman as a liberal hero of the american left:

Free Republic posted:

To: Zeppo

Well, to summarize, Friedman makes liberals comfortable with their own anti-semitism.

8 posted on Thursday, November 03, 2011 2:19:14 PM by gman992 ("I'm a conservative. I'm just a happy conservative.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Free Republic posted:

To: Nachum

Thomas Friedman should just ask Pelosi and Alice Travis Germond-Sec. of the DNC about the falsified Documents of Certification.
THEY know. Go ahead, “Fried”-man.....ASK.

The democrats OWN this fraud. It’ll be the end of them.

33 posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 5:43:53 PM by Mortrey (Impeach President Soros)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Free Republic posted:

To: Nachum

Obviously, you read the whole article. The other posters haven’t.

Friedman is unhappy because Obama is going on vacation instead fighting for his leftist agenda. Friedman thinks that Obama didn’t go far enough, didn’t spend enough money and isn’t supporting educational research.

46 posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:25:05 PM by Eva
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

et cetera, et cetera, et cetera

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Benly posted:

Massachusetts isn't exactly coyote country. If there's a serious coyote problem in MA, it's pretty hosed up. Not that "kill all the coyotes" is a remotely appropriate solution, but it's not exactly "fuckin' native fauna" - it's indicative of larger problems that do seriously need to be addressed.

Coyotes are indigenous to most of North America, not just the plains or the deserts. That being said, they have become a problem here, especially in the last ten to fifteen years. The column actually goes into the larger problem that the traps that are approved for coyotes are ineffectual. To me the answer isn't to start a campaign to shoot them all, however.

Alex Beam isn't a humor columnist in the vein of Dave Barry, but he's not exactly a straight columnist either. I wouldn't be surprised if this was some sort of over the top "solution" to the problem that missed its mark. I also wouldn't be terribly surprised if it was totally serious. It just seems sort of off for him.

Elim Garak fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 14, 2012

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Benly posted:

Well, clarifying: Newton isn't exactly coyote country. If friggin' Middlesex is having coyote problems it's probably indicative of poo poo being seriously hosed in the rural/wilder areas.

I grew up in Framingham but moved out of MA in the early 2000s. The idea of a coyote epidemic in Middlesex is sufficiently bizarre to me that it feels on a gut level like it must indicate something being severely hosed.

(Unless there were coyotes in Middlesex the whole time and I just never knew about them? Which is entirely possible.)

There's been a general resurgence of wildlife over eastern Massachusetts, and the coyotes seem to be one of the species recovering the best. It's not hard to imagine wildlife like that in a lot of Middlesex, IMO, like Concord, Acton, that area. The fact that the they've gotten in as far as the W-burbs and Newton (and honestly, even into Brookline and parts of Boston) is indicative of the fact that there is no management strategy in place really. But the general resurgence of wildlife on the whole is really awesome. I spent the last ten years on Cape Cod and the increase in amount of fox, turkey, possum etc. was really noticeable over that time period.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Helsing posted:

If you remove the last sentence then that seems like reasonable advice. There's no need to be condescending or to imply that drunk women are asking for it but if the original story is accurate its perfectly reasonable to tell her that she needs to do some soul searching and make absolutely sure that this was rape.

I'm 100% against victim blaming but situations like this are extremely complicated.

No, this is some pure-strain MRA bullshit:

quote:

Since her first version of the story is that she was ashamed of her behavior, and since you have seen her knee-walking drunk on other occasions, it sounds as if she wants to punish the guy at the bar for her own poor choices. Yes, I agree that men should not have sex with drunk women they don't know. But I think cases like the one you are describing here—in the absence of any evidence she was drugged—where someone voluntarily goes home with a stranger in order to have a sexual encounter, makes it that much harder for women who are assaulted to bring charges.

Your friend sounds like a lush, she wants to punish the man, one can't be raped if one is not drugged and stories like this only make it harder for the "real" victims. It's pretty loving awful.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

I can't tell if Jonah Goldberg is being sarcastic or if he thinks Margaret Atwood is a conservative, or what.
(Excerpt)

He's being ironic. He's saying the Blunt Amendment wasn't that bad, it wouldn't have curtailed the rights of women any further than they were curtailed at the beginning of this year, and invoking a dystopian novel ironically to make the point. He's wrong, of course, the Blunt Amendment would have given ANY employer the ability to strike ANY procedure they were religiously opposed to from their coverage, which would have been a stark rollback of every American's rights.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Boxman posted:

Time really screwed the pooch by not giving bin Laden the title in 2001.

Yeah, the choice of Rudy Giuliani over bin Laden is just going to look more and more foolish.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Well I'm told that the Lando Calrissian books in the EU usually have him playing the role of a libeterian conman traveling the galaxy and loving people over for personal gain and liberty.

To be fair that's sort of his role in Empire Strikes Back at least. He conned someone out of Cloud City and turned his best friend over to the Empire in order to keep them out of his business.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

Not really. You can buy in bulk when feeding four people, and it will cost you far less than feeding four people individually.

If you have the means to store food long term. I buy for two and we're at about nine dollars a day.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

SlipUp posted:

What are you buying that's going bad so quickly? Knowing the right produce to purchase is half the battle.

None of my food is going bad, but I certainly don't have the space to buy in bulk.

edit: And I'm pretty close to ovo-lacto vegetarian, I only eat meat on the weekends, and the wife is full ovo-lacto veggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

How dare you describe someone using their nationality in a nationalistic competition!

• Locked thread