Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Joementum posted:

A Breitbart writer wonders why everyone is so hung up on calling the Aryan Brotherhood a "white supremacist" group.

Smart take, dude.

Mr Interweb posted:

So, his argument is basically "well, yeah the AB started off as a racist gang, but they're no longer racist, and the media just wants to highlight that so that they can protect the Mexican gangs cuz immigration"? Did I get that right?

He's actually right about the media overplaying the "white supremacist" thing to scare people. I posted this in some other D&D thread, but here's what a few actual members have to say about that:

Michael Thompson posted:

The Aryan Brotherhood is not about white supremacy. It is about supremacy. And it will do anything to get it. Anything.

Clifford Smith posted:

[The gang is no longer] bent on destroying blacks and the Jews and the minorities of the world, white supremacy and all that poo poo. It’s a criminal organization, first and foremost.

Full article here, originally a New Yorker article from 2004. Recommended reading if you have the time, the Aryan Brotherhood are some scary loving people.

So his premise is correct, but the article is still poo poo. He takes a valid point with evidence and citations, and does nothing with it besides race-bait.

-It's basically saying "How can they be racist? They associate with Mexicans!" which follows the white person logic where racism is binary and having a black friend absolves you of any biases. The real picture of how white supremacy fits into their identity and motivations is complex, but gets ignored either out of laziness or because it doesn't fit the narrative of the piece.
-It's about the Aryan Brotherhood, but leads off with a picture of Mexican gang members. A picture of a white person just isn't going to scare the breitbart.com readers enough! We need some dark skin to get their blood pressure up!
-The baseless claim where the media is only doing this so they can push for looser immigration laws. The comments section latched onto that part. It's an article about a violent prison gang composed of white Americans, but the author and FreedomPatriot134 both knows the real threat here is foreigners.

He also attacks the "mainstream media" for wrongly painting them as white supremacists, while linking to another article on breitbart.com which does this. drat you, mainstream media, myself included :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Boxman posted:

I don't know a ton about the issue.but I like to learn- what is that criticism?

Despite being an activist opponent of white privilege in society, he's benefited from it a whole lot. There's plenty of minority anti-racism activists, but he's the one that sells all the books and gets all the media attention and speaking gigs. It's something he admits to; he's no more knowledgeable or competent than his minority colleagues, and many of them were making the same arguments long before he was, but not many people were listening until a white man came along.

It helps spread awareness because he's able to reach audiences that would have no interest in listening to an actual black person talking about how his race is being held back by society, but it has downsides. He prevents minority scholars and activists from getting attention that they deserve just as much as he does, and keeps POCs from being the spokespeople for their own movement.

I think that's what watt par was referring to. I hope I did an ok job at explaining it. Like he said though, that college republican misses the mark, because he's not using the criticism he honestly wants to raise the status of minorities, he just wants to be able to say that everyone in this scenario is being racist except him, the privileged white kid writing articles about how white privilege is nonexistent.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

cafel posted:

If you were forced to choose between cellphones and the internet or health insurance, who in this day and age could afford to go with health insurance? Between communicating with your employer by cellphone and email and taking care of the household and financial stuff that's all moving online, both have become pretty much a necessity. I honestly don't think I could hold down a job in my field if I told them that I could only be contacted by a landline (which very few people have now days, making cellphones even more crucial) and that I could only transfer computer files in person with a flash drive.

Yea, I don't really understand what point that guy is trying to make, and that first bolded line is a pretty dumb and wrong opinion, but "people choose cellphones and food/clothes over health insurance" is pretty truthful. I know a bunch of people without insurance, but I don't know anyone who's given up any of their other basic necessities to buy personal health insurance.

Big companies provide insurance because the law of averages means that someone's going to get sick, and having a healthy workforce means the insurance pays for itself. Individually it's like making an expensive bet that only pays off if you get cancer or crash your motorcycle or something.

• Locked thread