Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Orange Devil posted:

How much safer would the US be if they instead spent $30 billion a year to end world hunger. And yes, that's the UN estimate for total cost to end food insecurity for the roughly a billion people living in that state.

Probably not much, both because outside of Afghanistan the only food insecure nations appear to be central African nations who aren't that troublesome to our interests (Somalia is but it's not food insecure, interestingly enough) and that by giving away free food you're pricing poor people out of one of the most consistent sources of income.

edit: My data apparently only included "extreme" food insecure nations but even in the less extreme ones the latter point would still apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Orange Devil posted:

That's a good reason why you wouldn't solve the issue in that way, which I'm pretty sure the UN took into account.

Yeah but that's the traditional approach (e.g., "it's not a food production problem it's a distribution problem").

Looking through this report where the number appears to have come from, it seems that there is a focus on local initiatives but that worldwide investment is not just limited to "give them money to invest"; rather, that biofuels and food subsidies should end:

quote:

It all added up to a situation in which supply and demand were out of sync and exacerbated by the demand for biofuels. To deal with that problem, the distortions caused by subsidized foodstuffs and biofuels should be eliminated. Food stocks should be rationalized, and research boosted dramatically.

This would be unpopular in the US and other countries for a variety of reasons.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I thought it was primarily lead paint?

Lead in general isn't good for you, but the gasoline is usually what got in the air.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Berke Negri posted:

The freakonomics theory always sounded pretty hardcore (though not intentionally) racist/classist to me. Especially since 'overpopulation' isn't an issue with developed economies but the opposite.

Overpopulation typically isn't a problem with developed countries because there's free access to birth control and abortions, because kids cost a ton.

In fact, I believe it was shown that in countries like Sweden where there's a fair amount of security for the average person, birthrates went up slightly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Warszawa posted:

CNN tackles the question of our times: can the Klan rebrand?

quote:

"This movement is a hodgepodge of little groups that, as often as they attack their enemies, attack one another," said Mark Potok, a spokesman for the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate groups.

He estimates there are about 8,000 KKK members nationwide.

"To call these guys disorganized," he said, "doesn't quite do it."

Potok pointed to a 2013 rally in Memphis, Tennessee, that drew about 75 Klan members. They arrived in their typical get-up to protest the city's move to rename three city parks that honored Confederate leaders.

Then it got confusing and weird.

Another group of Klansmen showed up to protest the first Klan group, according to Potok and a local media report.

The second Klan group claimed to be about nonviolence and actually teamed with a black Crips street gang. The second group of Klansmen wanted people to know they were the real deal, the ones everyone should listen to, Potok recounted.

And I thought I'd heard all of the Judean People's Front jokes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So my friend pissed off an MRA website-

http://www.avoiceformalestudents.com/lulu-chang-vigilante-journalist-and-bureaucrat-from-dartmouth-college/

choice comment:

quote:

Straight up, feminists are slimy and sleazy. They claim to represent equality, or essentially human rights, but some major turd like this just exposes the movement for the hypocrisy it stands for.

I can tell you as a male with benefit of internet pseudonyms that her feeling of fear that an innocent man is set free is pure garbage, yet the feminists will jump all over this like some rats over a festering piece of cheese. I can also tell you I have personally experienced most of the indignities the feminists simply advertises a feeling of being alarmed by, in full perpetration. That means I as a male, have been sexually harassed, date raped, physically assaulted, oh and yes, if you include felt “fear” ,so many times it would be redundant to even express.

I have sat through group counselling sessions with male survivors of sexual abuse and have been astonished at the participation of (innocent, all virtuous and victimized) women in the abuse of boys. It sickens me that feminists try to occupy this victim position, which essentially exploits western cultures tendency to protect and sympathize with females, yet somehow cry oppression by the same sentiment they are exploiting.

It further disgusts me that very few organizations that claim to represent sexual abuse, rape or domestic violence survivors actually give a poo poo about the survivors. In reality it is a sounding board for the sleazy, slimy and hypocritical feminist garbage that women occupy the victim position. Please note RAINN is one major exception that has stood against the feminist cry of rape culture, and has truly stood for the interests of sexual assault and abuse survivors.

As Johnathan suggests, feminism has nothing to do with “kindness”.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There are still probably more scores/minute in American Football than soccer though.

Really if you want to fix soccer (at least the stuff I've seen in the World Cup) you just make the field smaller and allow substitutions. It's way too easy to grind out time and prevent scores right now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

joepinetree posted:

Or perhaps sports interest are based on culture and history and not stuff like "scores/minute."

"I like this boring game because heritage but your game is boring because people aren't running around literally doing nothing for an hour and a half".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

30.5 Days posted:

Is this actually true, though? I literally cannot recall anytime someone acted in an uncalled-for way toward me since leaving high school, except in the context of political arguments and other nerds being mad about games.

It's not even a thing in high school any longer unless you consider "not being able to get a date because I'm a weirdo" to be nerd oppression.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 15, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

goku im piss posted:

Its the internet, whats new about that?

Hmm, maybe people who traditionally haven't been part of "the internet" (that is, the parts of the internet that talk about raping people) are trying to engage with it now and are being offended.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

7c Nickel posted:

Still not actually a statement about "all gamers" in general, which was the original claim.

People who self identify as gamers possess these traits in very high quantities.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Redeye Flight posted:

Additionally, while you have a lot of video games that are just Shootbang: the Warfighter, you're starting to see more that have different viewpoints or less glorifying approaches to the idea. Spec Ops: The Line is the big, big name here, and recently one's come out called This War Of Mine where you play as a civilian in a besieged city trying to survive.

It's not even that, there's just fewer games about war. That's what the big fear has been for the past decade, that "hardcore" games would stop being made because it was easier and cheaper to make dumb baby games for women.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

What makes online gaming so attractive? Is it the legions of utter morons you can encounter? The thrill of being called a "friend of the family human being jew" by someone whose voice hasn't dropped yet? I deal with enough morons in my day-to-day life, I want my recreational activities to be as free from them as possible.

Being replayable, mostly. If you're paying $60 for a game* you may as well get your money's worth out of it.

*Which, incidentally, is lower than what you would pay for a game in real dollars compared with 15-20 years ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

How is this addressed in other industries? Do movie critics stop receiving pre-release copies of movies or access to special screenings if they say mean things?

I believe car reviewers have similar constraints but those are also heavily regulated in the areas that most people care about (safety).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It should be noted that Chicago stands with Boston as an incredibly racist Northern city. As you read that editorial, remember that blacks were being red lined with intense fervor, that the black neighborhoods received severely substandard city services compared to what whites received despite paying the same taxes and that people were and in some place still are very upfront about hating black people.

And (at least pre-White Flight) there were many incidences of Blacks & Hispanics being beaten by Italians for wandering into the wrong neighborhood.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Starving Autist posted:

While it's true that homosexuality and transgenderism are distinct and separate phenomena, homophobia and transphobia spring from the exact same type of ignorance. Bigots don't make distinctions between gay and trans people, to them they're all just gross deviant fags. Hence it actually makes a lot of sense to form a coalition.

They don't make the distinction until they do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MaxxBot posted:

Just a brave patriot defending his parking freedoms from evil mooselimb hordes :911:

No, it was just a parking dispute.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nenonen posted:

tbh I don't see anything wrong about that piece and it's interesting to know that the guy apparently was a crazy Ron Paul type who finally snapped :evil:

quote:

In a news conference after her husband's arrest, Karen Hicks claimed to be as baffled as anyone about how a man who loves the Pittsburgh Steelers, the United States Constitution and dogs — especially his own black and brown mutt, Rocky — could have done something so vicious. She was adamant that the shootings stemmed from a long-simmering dispute over parking at their condo complex, not the victims' faith.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OwlFancier posted:

God forbid people maybe believe that someone can be a nuanced and complicated person and still be a murderer.

It's almost like murderers might be people just like us.

Only white ones though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nathilus posted:

This probably belongs more in the rwm thread but I legit find how we program kids with the pledge really loving bad and creepy. It's very minitru-like. It's one thing for an adult to voluntarily utter a pledge of allegiance but forcibly indoctrinating a child to repeat it every morning is super hosed up and an entirely different matter.

Do you remember looking around at other kids and seeing blank eyes and blank faces during the pledge? Do you remember how everyone said it exactly the same and put no thought or emotion behind it? We're not building robots for christ's sake. We're (supposed) to be teaching those little people to think critically.

I never had an issue saying it as a kid and surely wouldn't as an adult either if the opportunity presented itself but I've come to be really wary of straight up brainwashing and disapprove of doing it to kids.

Just pretend it was put into place during Reconstruction to keep those dirty Southerners in line and I'm sure you can justify it to yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Nationalism is all about the quelling of local interests and loyalties in service of a larger national interest. The quelling of states rights fits exactly into here.

Nationalism is a tool that's not just used by the "bad guys ".

• Locked thread