Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

VideoTapir posted:

Adam Smith posted:
“A linen shirt … is, strictly speaking, not a necessary of life. The Greeks and Romans lived, I suppose, very comfortably though they had no linen. But in the present times, through the greater part of Europe, a creditable day-labourer would be ashamed to appear in public without a linen shirt, the want of which would be supposed to denote that disgraceful degree of poverty which, it is presumed, nobody can well fall into without extreme bad conduct.”
Adam Smith was full of poo poo, linen has been in use since the Neolithic in Europe. :eng101:

The worst response I saw was this one (cross posting from the Freeper thread). Guess poor people aren't really poor. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I know the joke's been said but I legit want nothing more than to hear him saying how sex between a man and woman should be waited for and all and go 'woah buddy can we not talk about sex with women I'm gay' just to hear him explain how suddenly I was making things graphic.

You make it sound like he hasn't explored other options :shepface:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YTJMSiaG10

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

The bolded part is basically the conservative version of the American Dream, work your rear end off all day for no reward and never have any fun, unless of course you're one of the all-important "job creators" in which case you can do whatever the gently caress you want. The funny thing is that the people under 30 I know who are really wealthy and successful are all crazy partiers because apparently people like spending their large amounts of disposable income on fun things :monocle:.
You missed the golden paragraph:

a shithead posted:

We're successful because a lot of steady, responsible people do boring jobs that have to be done. It's the man who works 40 hours in his first job and another 20 hours a week at a part-time job so he can pay the bills for his wife and kids. It's the stay-at-home mom with spit-up on her blouse who has been on her feet for hours cleaning and taking care of the kids. It's the small businessman who worked 70 hours a week for peanuts over the last decade to get his business to the point where he can have people complain that he's not paying enough in taxes. It's the single mother who gives up partying every night to make sure her child is taken care of like he should be. It's the pastor who says something from the pulpit that will be controversial, but that his flock needs to hear. It's the cop who sweats through a half dozen encounters with drunk, drugged, and potentially violent creeps each night because he cares about keeping a neighborhood safe. It's a soldier sleeping in a tent far from home because he's doing his part to keep the peace. It's the couple who feels like they've achieved the American dream because they got married, bought a house, had two kids, and are putting enough money in their 401k to retire someday.
In other words: gently caress you to working women (especially mothers), gay people, people subjected to police harassment/intimidation, and so on. Also, I refuse to believe this wasn't originally published 40 years ago with different celebrity names, because holy poo poo how hard can you pine for a rose-tinted view of the 1950s.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

A total cumstain posted:

So the Obama administration and its allied activist groups trot out the claim that there is a rape epidemic victimizing 1 in 5 women on college campuses. This conveniently horrifying number is a classic example of being too terrible to check. If it were true, it would mean that rape would be more prevalent on elite campuses than in many of the most impoverished and crime-ridden communities.
He comes so close to getting it! Sadly he is convinced that sexual assaults are only done by poors.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Legit not trying to be a dick here but what then do you think about concepts like verbal abuse and emotional abuse?
"Sticks and stones may break my bones..."?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Whoops. It was meant to sound like a paraphrase of Torpor's response, I don't actually believe that. :( The full saying is the work of a true shithead, presumably the kind of authority figure who doesn't care about bullying under their watch if it doesn't leave physical evidence.

In the UK there are currently moves towards criminalising psychological abuse, which is long overdue.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

So for clarification, what level of harm do you believe is caused by abuse, coercion or intimidation alone?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

rkajdi posted:

EDIT: We've also seen piles of homophobia in the nerd community, which has driving a lot of LGBT male nerds into the closet again. I don't doubt that there are some LGBT people part of the whole gamergate harrassment campaign, but I certainly haven't seen one yet.
Milo Yiannopoulos (@Nero on Twitter) is a columnist on Breitbart and one of the key public
faces of gamergate. He's also gay, and so serves to deflect criticism of the movement for being homophobic.

He is also really bad at being a nerd (he's an online entrepreneur who has mocked gamers in the past) and arguably at being gay (he opposes gay marriage). I had a brief productive argument with a gay gater on Twitter in which I pointed out both of these, to his frank concern.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

goku im piss posted:

If you throw people's interests, hobbies, livelihoods, whatever into a fire and expect them to be fine with it, I'm not entirely surprised you don't understand why they would stop supporting causes that don't directly affect them.
You are correct, ethical positions on topics that don't affect you are entirely arbitrary and all principles are rooted in selfishness.

take away my vidya games and guns and i'll start hating gays out of spite you guys

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Ice Pick Lodge, The Void. :colbert:

Artsy as gently caress, yet also manages to contain sexualised female characters who are stripped naked to reward player progression :eng101:

That may be a bit unfair to the game though. There's a good video LP of the game on the LP archive if you want to judge for yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

from Roger Cohen at the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/27/opinion/world-war-iii.html

maybe it's just me but I don't think it's physically possible to get any more insufferable and condescending than this. like literally using the framing of a parent talking down to a small child. holy poo poo gently caress you roger cohen. also with the Serious People beltway consensus that the US is in decline and has to dole out concessions to Russia, China, Iran, etc, RIGHT NOW or bad things will happen. what those things are doesn't matter just do it, quickly, no time to think
"I heard it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DoM3sWkgfU

• Locked thread