Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Bruce Leroy posted:

It very much is, but so many Americans are obsessed with the idea that they themselves will one day become one of those rich authoritarians that they don't want to do anything about it (e.g. enact a living wage, "card check" legislation, decouple healthcare coverage from employment, etc.) because it would work against them later when they want to oppress their employees.

I'd love to know the money making schemes of each one of these people. Do they really think they'll squeak into the richest 10 percent or so by scrimping and saving? Or be lucky enough to be noticed by some big shot who drops in on them out of nowhere and is impressed by their industriousness a la Ragged Dick? The only common idea I remember is a lot of people were looking on getting in on the house investing craze before Stuff Happened in 2008 (even my otherwise skeptical pop was considering it), or even dumber people investing in Beanie Babies back in the 90s, thinking they would appreciate in value forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

How does he imagine a poor person will actually take that?

:shepface: "Oh, silly me! Of course I can move away from the freeway! After all, costs of living are the same everywhere. I can't imagine what I was even worried about."

Just move into the woods and live off the land! I dream about doing it all the time after watching reruns of Little House on the Prarie! If anything, I envy our spoiled poor by being able to leave it all behind easier.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Why yes, Nicholas Kristof of the New York Times, I *do* happen to have a bunch of money just sitting around to finance a whole year of loving off in another country. Also, it should indeed be totally mandatory for everyone.

quote:

I’m delighted to announce that the winner of my 2014 “win-a-trip” contest is ...

Oh, hang on. Maybe I should first exhort students to travel on their own — and cite Utah.

Utah may well be the most cosmopolitan state in America. Vast numbers of young Mormons — increasingly women as well as men — spend a couple of years abroad as missionaries and return jabbering in Thai or Portuguese and bearing a wealth of international experience.

More than 130 languages are spoken daily in commerce in Utah, according to the University of Utah, and that’s one reason it sometimes tops the Forbes list of best states to do business. The state is a center for trade and for global companies.

American universities should also be sending people abroad, but they are still quite insular. The number of Americans studying abroad has tripled over the last 20 years, but, still, fewer than 10 percent of college students study overseas during undergraduate years. Three times as many foreigners study in America as the other way around.

(A shout-out goes to Goucher College in Baltimore, which requires students to study abroad. Others should try that.)

All young Americans should learn Spanish — el idioma extranjero de mayor importancia en los Estados Unidos — partly because growing numbers of seniors will finance retirement by moving to cheaper countries like Mexico, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Yet it makes no sense to study Spanish on a college campus when it is so much cheaper and more exhilarating to move to Bolivia, study or get a job and fall in love with a Bolivian.

It’s also more effective. I have a one-question language test that people who have lived abroad do better on than those who studied in a classroom. Try my test yourself: In a foreign language you’ve studied, how do you say “doorknob”?

As you’re looking blank and thinking of those four wasted years studying French (poignée de porte) or Spanish (pomo), consider this joke: If someone who speaks three languages is trilingual, and a person who speaks four languages is quadrilingual, what is a person called who speaks no foreign language at all?

Answer: An American.

One of the aims of higher education is to broaden perspectives, and what better way than by a home stay in a really different country, like Bangladesh or Senegal? Time abroad also leaves one more aware of the complex prism of suspicion through which the United States is often viewed. If more Americans had overseas experience, our foreign policy might be wiser.

That’s partly why I started my win-a-trip contest. I wanted to encourage American students to engage more with the world and with the issue of global poverty. So I’m pleased to announce that my win-a-trip winner, from the University of Notre Dame, is ... But wait! First, a personal aside.

I took a gap year myself after high school and worked on a farm near Lyon, France. I stayed with the Vallet family, picked and packed fruit, and discovered that red wine can be a breakfast drink. That led to further travel as a university student. I slept on the floor of Indian temples and rode on the tops of Sudanese trains, and the experiences changed me by opening my eyes to human needs and to human universals.

Photo
Nicholas Kristof working on a farm near Lyon, France during a gap year in 1978.
Gap years are becoming a bit more common in the United States and are promoted by organizations like Global Citizen Year. Colleges tend to love it when students defer admission to take a gap year because those students arrive with more maturity and less propensity to spend freshman year in an alcoholic haze.

Here’s a suggestion: How about if colleges gave students a semester credit for a gap year spent in a non-English-speaking country?

There’s a misconception that gap years or study-abroad opportunities are feasible only for the affluent. There are lots of free options (and some paid ones) at idealist.org, which lists volunteering opportunities all over the world. It’s also often possible to make money teaching English on the side.

So go west, young men and women! And go east! Y al norte y al sur!

Back to my win-a-trip contest: I’m delighted to announce that my winner is Nicole Sganga, a 20-year-old from Long Island and the University of Notre Dame. Nicole is a junior majoring in political science and film and has already worked for CBS News in Washington and London.

I’m not sure yet where we’ll travel for our reporting together on neglected issues. Perhaps Congo. Maybe Myanmar. I welcome your suggestions on my blog, nytimes.com/ontheground, for places to go and themes to cover.

Thanks to the Center for Global Development for helping screen applications, and to all the students who applied. If you didn’t win, I hope you’ll go out and win your own trip!

Not one mention of the low number of students travelling abroad possibly having anything to do with not being able to afford it. There's the whole idealist.org thing, but it seems highly unlikely any of those positions are willing to hire some kid right out of high school.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

I wanted to go to Chile to do immersion and history research in undergrad but I guess I'm a provincial American because I didn't have 8000 to spend on top of my to increasing every year tuition. Probably should have took out more loans so that Kristof could write an op ed piece next week about American students blowing student loan money on luxuries like "eating food" and trips abroad.

To be fair, he's come out in the past strongly in favor of more funding to public education. Of course, in a typical centrist fashion, he thinks SSI should be slashed in order for this to work. Education then would be a silver bullet that will eliminate poverty if only poors chose to stop being lazy.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Increasing funding in education to double the number of poor kids going to college certainly isn't a worthy cause because it isn't perfect. Right. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I wouldn't have much of an objection to his promotion of vocational blue collar jobs if a) He encouraged "successful" (i.e. rich) kids to get them too, and b) he acknowledged that the number of good blue collar jobs is actually a lot lower than many people imply.

All in all, however, the article definitely comes off as more of the same "poors are too stupid to ever get ahead" mentality that I've come to expect from even "liberal" publications like Salon.

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 20, 2014

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Eulogistics posted:

My family was on welfare when I was growing up (including free/reduced-price lunches at school) and my mom was a member of the Communist Party in the 70s. I don't know what happened to her.

Like all the other boomers, the minute she or her husband started actually making money, they abandoned their leftist principles entirely. Classic FYGM.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Eulogistics posted:

She is poor now, she's never been better off than lower-middle class. She takes donations from a local church group or something and works 2 crappy part-time jobs. If my little brother wasn't getting Social Security to cover his disability, she wouldn't have any money at all. She just doesn't have time to follow the news or something and believes what the retards around her tell her, I guess.

EDIT: I do appreciate the assumptions about her character though, that's classy.

Forgive me for jumping to conclusions. Her story simply sounded identical to many others I've known and read about who went from commies to died-in-the-wool Republicans. It clearly isn't, of course.

In fact, she may have a point about kids refusing to eat healthy. I know there's certain periods of my childhood where I was such a picky eater that I literally skipped lunch or only ate the bread off my sandwich or whatever. I do still think a healthy lunch program is better than no lunch program at all or one in which kids are served nutritionally bankrupt garbage.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I was just about to post that.

It's funny how he brings up What's the Matter With Kansas?. The book basically says that poor Americans are often swayed by culture war bullshit, namely the narrative of honest God-fearing, hard-working, home-owning folks vs. godless, effete, elitist academics and lazy urban poors. In other words, the book denounces exactly the attitude the author is espousing.

There's also a lot of "a few leftists I knew were dicks so gently caress left-wing politics" sentiment there as well.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

The pope is a liberal CINO :qq::qq:. I don't understand why these morons don't just convert to evangelical American Christianity rather than beg for the Church to spend more time bashing gays and shut up about the poor.

I know more than a few people who have converted to Orthodoxy over Catholicism with that in mind. That's not to say the Orthodox don't care about social justice. It's just that it's way easier to ignore a patriarch/bishop's call for caring for the poor if you aren't under his jurisdiction. That also doesn't negate the writings of church fathers like John Chrysostom and Basil the Great who basically said that private property is theft and that the only proper storehouses for food are the stomachs of the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

computer parts posted:

And (at least pre-White Flight) there were many incidences of Blacks & Hispanics being beaten by Italians for wandering into the wrong neighborhood.

Here in San Francisco, Chinese people used to risk getting the poo poo beat out of them if they went past Broadway into North Beach. Then Italians were promoted to white status and most of them immediately fled to the 'burbs. Many remaining locals still bitch about those goddamn Cantonese peasants barking at each other in their moon language in THEIR NEIGHBORHOOD, of course.

• Locked thread