Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I guess that article just shows that making a ton of money doesn't mean you automatically know how to spend within you means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It's amazing when Pat Robertson has a more intelligent viewpoint than Biden, let alone anybody.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I work like a minute away from Brookfield. It's not surprising at all that they're pulling this, as it is mostly made up of wealthy white people. It's an affluent community with a poo poo ton of soccer moms driving around huge Lexus SUVs with nothing better to do than fear the Muslim Menace.

FYI, WVCY is a Christian radio station. That's another lovely level of irony.

EDIT: The comments on that article are surprisingly sane and call out the bigotry of it.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Cal Thomas posted:

which liberals mocked Ronald Reagan for correctly calling a vegetable

How can Cal claim Reagan was right about that? My fiancee and I got in an argument about whether junk food should be served in school lunch rooms. I think they should take out the soda machines and stop allowing fast food companies to serve in school lunchrooms, and she thinks that's taking away freedom.

What the gently caress.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
A thousand bucks on food a month for a family of four means that they're idiots. There's no way it should cost that much. Also, they have nobody to blame but themselves for believing that breaking 100k a year would somehow make them "rich".

Yeah, making 100k a year somehow means that you're insulated from housing bubbles and nosediving stocks. :rolleyes:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

IAMKOREA posted:

8.30 dollars per day per person for food is totally reasonable.
Not really. You can buy in bulk when feeding four people, and it will cost you far less than feeding four people individually.

Fatkraken posted:

without having to be in the top few percent of earners.
Is 100k for a family income really in the top few percent? I know for an individual it is, but back in the days you're talking about there was usually only one person working.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 28, 2012

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

IAMKOREA posted:

I'm really curious about how you eat if you think $1000/month for four people is unreasonably expensive.
I eat like a normal person? I buy most meats at 1.99 a pound when it's on sale, and I buy lots of canned goods and pasta for cheap. I will gladly buy the store brand over the name brand, and I don't buy junk food like chips and soda or anything like that.

I don't think a thousand a month is completely unreasonable, but it is obvious to me that you can spend a lot less than that if you're really worried about money. Like I said, cooking for four can be done much cheaper than four people cooking their own meals. How much do you think it'd cost to make a big pot of chili? Or tacos? Or pasta or rice dishes?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
How is paying for all of your necessities as well as a lot of luxuries not "enjoying" something? Jesus, people like that will never be happy.

My dad has issues with trying to buy happiness. He has a Durango, an Escalade, a Jaguar, an Altima, and 3 different Harleys...just for himself. He talks poo poo because I don't make as much as he did, and will never be as wealthy as he is. Um, I've got happiness and that's worth more than all the stupid poo poo you could ever buy.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

If I were an editor I would publish the stupidest, most ignorant bullshit I could, because it would highlight how insane the positions in question really are.

Also because I like trolling.

It seems that they often do just this.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Durgoc posted:

Yes, white christian males truly have the worst lives in America.
This attitude is common in pretty much anybody that would vote republican. My sister complains about how the mothers of the kids at her daughter's school (who are all on welfare, she knows knows this) buy their kids Gushers, and she can't even afford them. She complains about every single thing these "mooches" have while ignoring the fact that she has whatever she wants, and has at least 5 purses that cost hundreds of dollars each.

My dad was complaining about how Greeks get to open restaurants and run them for five years without paying taxes. First, I called him on his bullshit, and we googled it and shockingly, it isn't true. He was seriously flabbergasted, as he had believed it for his whole life. Secondly, I pointed out how he's wealthy and was able to retire at 50, and he has it better than any of the people he's complaining about. I hope I at least made him examine his views for at least a second or two.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

Lack of large animals to pull wheeled stuff isn't too important.
Is this a joke?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Are the White Sox owned by a black guy too?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I love it when people say "why are only black people allowed to say the n-word?" like it's some super cool thing that they really want to do, but since they can't they just whine about it.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
The guy smokes a pack a day, and is spending about 30% of his income on them. He's clearly an idiot.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Goatman Sacks posted:

Technically he didn't since he never existed.
The Romans kept very meticulous records,so an event big enough to make an impression for thousands of years after the fact must have been mentioned somewhere by secular sources, right?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
:lol: Ah, so we're going bankrupt because old people don't use canes anymore. Seriously, this is the level of discourse in today's America. What in the gently caress.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

CrushedB posted:

So I guess we really are just dropping the dog whistles now and letting it all out.
The guy that wrote that is a doctor that is very religious. How shocking!? You'd think a doctor would understand health insurance a bit more, but I guess not. Expecting your insurance to cover your health related needs is apparently a ridiculous notion. Where do these fucks get the idea that having insurance cover contraception means it is free? Do they not understand insurance premiums and co-pays?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Nathilus posted:

They are correct. America is one of the richest nations in the world and yet we spend far less money per capita on helping our less fortunate citizens than the average first world country.
This is mildly related, but there is a big story going around about a cop who gave a homeless man boots. He's being called a hero, and angel, and all sorts of other hyperbolic things. While it was great that the cop did this, I couldn't help but feel disgusted that a person could be homeless and without shoes in the freezing cold in America, and the fact that somebody helped him is somehow national news. What the gently caress is wrong with America?! We shouldn't have ANYBODY suffering the streets.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
How does a kid have time to rebuild a car completely while doing all that other stuff? The whole editorial is thinly veiled bragging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Nerds just seem upset at the idea that their domain has been invaded by casual women, and are scared that companies might cater to this huge new demographic. Playing games on a phone isn't being a "real" gamer.

Anyone that refers to themselves as a gamer is pathetic.

• Locked thread