Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Why yes, Nicholas Kristof of the New York Times, I *do* happen to have a bunch of money just sitting around to finance a whole year of loving off in another country. Also, it should indeed be totally mandatory for everyone.

Not one mention of the low number of students travelling abroad possibly having anything to do with not being able to afford it. There's the whole idealist.org thing, but it seems highly unlikely any of those positions are willing to hire some kid right out of high school.

I wanted to go to Chile to do immersion and history research in undergrad but I guess I'm a provincial American because I didn't have 8000 to spend on top of my to increasing every year tuition. Probably should have took out more loans so that Kristof could write an op ed piece next week about American students blowing student loan money on luxuries like "eating food" and trips abroad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The freakonomics theory always sounded pretty hardcore (though not intentionally) racist/classist to me. Especially since 'overpopulation' isn't an issue with developed economies but the opposite.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

VitalSigns posted:

Even gold-star gays don't go around telling women at the gym to shut up about sex because the female body makes them uncomfortable; nor make a big show of pretending as hard as possible not to get any heterosexual sex joke ever because they've never experienced such a thing.

I love that he thinks being a virgin is what scandalizes people instead of the fact that he's loudly going up to everyone and demanding they never mention ladyparts in public ever again.

"Ahem, m'ladies, please do not make jokes I do not understand for while I may appear on the outside to be an adult to you, I am actually a child.

You see, I was at this carnival in Jersey and there was this gypsy fortune teller machine and..."

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

KomradeX posted:

Wait so futbal is also fascist? (I didn't read the article as the National Review sends me into sputtering fits of rage.)

Yes, probably.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Zeroisanumber posted:

That's not :godwin: at all, that's good-old all-American nativism. That whole "immigrants are foreign and probably bring disease! :ohdear:" thing has been around since before George Washington's time.

Yeah, it isn't a new thing:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5176177

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Radish posted:

The fact that you can publish that and it doesn't result in headlines saying "Guy defends slave owners WTF??" on news channels or papers pretty much disproves the concept of "political correctness" censuring conservative opinions.

Its gotten attention from certain outlets but a book review in the Economist is probably not going to get round the clock coverage from CNN.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Phlegmish posted:

He's an idiot for claiming that slave owners had an incentive to treat their slaves well and implying that 'it wasn't so bad', but I'd say he's right to dismiss the notion that slavery is responsible for the success of American capitalism. It benefited the people that were directly involved, but on a societal level and in the long term it was a completely disastrous economic system. It's detrimental effects can be seen in the South even today.

Capital raised by slavery in the South was able to be turned into capital to be loaned out in the North by banks for infrastructure and investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Praetorian West sighed as he drew his gladius.

• Locked thread