Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Well, this guy says it's due to a combination of an increase in the number of police, an increase in imprisonment, the decline of the crack epidemic and the legalization of abortion. Some or all of those factors could be considered controversial, however.

I lean towards the decrease in lead poisoning theory myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Guilty Spork posted:

I wouldn't even know where to begin picking pieces to quote from this WSJ piece about how the elite WASP overlords were honorable and everything was way better before the meritocracy that we supposedhahahaha WTF

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304367204579268301043949952

That's some pretty impressive bigotry. I'm surprised it was published even in WSJ. :catstare:

Even on its own terms, there's plenty of bullshit to sift through here. For example, he states that "The last unashamed WASP to live in the White House was Franklin Delano Roosevelt," and declares that "true WASPs were too upstanding to go in for the unscrupulous business dealings of Joseph P. Kennedy Sr. or the feckless philanderings of him and some of his sons." But FDR was also a philanderer.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Caros posted:

Sort of an aside, but when did the WSJ become such a poo poo heap? As a child I recall it being held up as this paragon of reporting virtue, but ever since I was old enough to actually care its been producing reports like this garbage.

WSJ's editorial line has always been pretty conservative, but the actual reporting used to be pretty respectable. Then Murdoch bought it in 2007.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Why on earth would "the establishment" care about doing that.

To rehabilitate the idea of war in general, I suppose? Still rather :tinfoil:, though; I'm more inclined to blame the general obsession of historians nowadays with tearing down "myths" and "icons." It helps that there are a lot of silly historical narratives with staying power in the popular mind, e.g., the Middle Ages as "a thousand years without a bath" (or, speaking of baths, the story about Millard Fillmore).

Incidentally, many soldiers did indeed enjoy World War I. Of course, many of those who did went on to become fascists.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 21, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Indeed. Nobody's attitude about our present engagements, or those we're likely to be involved in in the future, is going to be altered one scintilla by a minor tidying-up of the image of world war I.

That reminds me of Asimov's remark that "the chances of carrying [historical revisionism] as far as is described in 1984 seem to me to be nil - not because it is beyond human wickedness, but because it is totally unnecessary."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

I don't know about rich but all wealthy people either do or have done bad things to get wealthy in the first place. Either that or get born into it, but don't worry, they probably did or are doing bad things too. We can handwring all we want but when it comes down to it, yes the problem is the loving money.

Does your view apply even to highly paid professionals, like doctors?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

Difference between rich and wealthy.

Those are actually synonyms, but I think I see what he was getting at now.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

From the looks of it it's a right winger being angry that a completely unremarkable, centrist news/politics magazine is too left wing, with all the usual whining about the mainstream media and the politically correct agenda

Really? It seems to me that he's complaining about capitalist interests hijacking feminism - an essentially left-wing complaint.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
William Blum defends the Berlin Wall: http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/2014/10/20/the-berlin-wall-another-cold-war-myth/

quote:

Finally, it must be remembered, that Eastern Europe became communist because Hitler, with the approval of the West, used it as a highway to reach the Soviet Union to wipe out Bolshevism forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The "NERDS!" attitude is silly. Pretty much everyone posting on SA qualifies as a nerd.

• Locked thread