Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Guilty Spork posted:

At this point if a conservative talks about white privilege you can pretty much assume that they're going to be massively wrong about what it actually means.

I think

quote:

no matter what happens in society, we as white people are free from any sort of stereotype that could give some form of negative connotation towards our race as a whole.
is fairly close to a correct definition. It's certainly closer than I usually read, but his :rolleyes: tone doesn't help. And his unironic use of the phrase "we as white people" is even more :wtf:.

I think one of the most interesting things to dissect in American political discourse is how the same terms are understood by the left and right. In this case his definition of privilege isn't really far off from mine, the difference is that I have an explanation for why it's true(structure), while he turns it into an us-versus-them proposition.

He even touches on my favorite verbal grenade: "politics/politicizing," where the fact that people have *gasp* motives and desires somehow becomes a devastating indictment.

quote:

Tim Wise is not educational; his motives are like those of any other politician. He wants people to agree with a liberal agenda, the only difference is because he doesn’t run for public office and calls himself an essayist, and author or an “educator,” he gets away with these things that those kept under a close watch would not.
No poo poo? I thought he just gave lectures and wrote papers for his health. How is this a revelation to anyone not born yesterday?

I am completely serious when I say that I don't understand how people that talk about "freedom" and worry about tyranny don't understand basic power relations. There are plenty of people who haven't studied these things and don't care, that's understandable. But if you bang on about this crap day after day I would think you could take two seconds to educate yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

VideoTapir posted:

His brain shut off the moment Wise started saying Reagan=bad. Every incident he mentions was cited. This is my favorite:

"Buck" doesn't have any racial connota--

http://www.google.com.hk/search?q=%22buck+friend of the family%22&btnG=Search+Books&tbm=bks&tbo=1

I will admit I never knew any of that, thank you. There isn't a :aaa: big enough for the amount of ignorance on display in that letter.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Some loving moron posted:

Cold, poorly fed, and chronically sick, a Turn-of-the-Century Billionaire Baron
:cawg: Not one of those adjectives is true.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Pththya-lyi posted:

How does he imagine a poor person will actually take that?

:shepface: "Oh, silly me! Of course I can move away from the freeway! After all, costs of living are the same everywhere. I can't imagine what I was even worried about."
The key to stop being poor is too... stop being poor. :smugdog:

quote:

...suffer from fecal impaction.

:stare: NotgonnaWebMDthatnotgonnaWebMDthatohsweetjesuswhydidIlookthatup :gonk:

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Zeroisanumber posted:

If Beyonce influences young girls to do anything it will be to replace their puny human forms with a being made of raw ambition, and I'm not certain that that's a bad thing.

Lemme put it this way, what was the last word you got added to the dictionary? :smug:

I'm ready for the jelly. :quagmire:

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

The Warszawa posted:

Here's the thing, again: for all the "political correctness gone mad, Stu," poo poo, this is an example of someone literally getting a Harvard PhD for this poo poo, which is the antithesis of political correctness having anything to do with it.

When white people are systematically oppressed for the color of their skin as opposed to possessing nearly all of the structural power and wealth in the American political correctness, we should probably start worrying about how what we say enforces that oppression.

It is funny though, considering how overwhelmingly white, male, and "mainstream" academia is by demographic, that we're so worried about it.

This whole post x1,000. Nothing is so infuriating in contemporary American political discourse as the invocation of empty phrases like "political correctness," or worse, the "race card."

So long as conservatives react to poo poo like this with their wah-wah masturbatory persecution delusions they will learn nothing.

This is a bit old but it gets to the heart of what I'm talking about. Kevin Drum linked to this piece a while back but the sheer awfulness of it stuck with me. It's actually bad for two reasons, for the ignorant dipshit the author writes about, and the cluelessness of the author, who thinks she knows better. To recap: the self-described liberal author of this piece gets into a disagreement with her Tea Party neighbor and basically decides "yep, we just see the world differently, we need to separate :downs:" Look at how she paints politics as opinion:

quote:

As the husband sat down in our living room with his drink, he announced, "The tea party is not racist." We just looked at him. "The tea party is not racist," he continued, "because I am a member of the tea party."
Could this be the launchpad for a thoughtful dissection of conservatism? Ha, nope.

quote:

We argued about healthcare and welfare, President Obama's nationality and religion, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. We did not agree on anything. But honestly, the issues were not important. What matters is how personal it quickly became, how vitriolic, how filled with hate. He said I was sucking the country dry with my support of food stamps and public education. He said I needed to get off my butt and take care of myself. I suggested he sign his kids up to die in Iran, the next place he thinks we should attack. He called me a spoiled idiot and worse. I called him selfish, shortsighted and worse. It was awful, and it went on until after 3 a.m.
Because the president's nationality is merely a matter for agreement or disagreement.

There's also a companion piece written by a conservative on liberals that borders on self-parody.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

The Warszawa posted:

Oh, it gets better: trying to segregate "Hispanic immigrants" as a separate "race" is loving hilarious, considering that the Hispanic "race" dates to around the time white America realized that Mexican light-skinned mestizos, criollos, and peninsulares might attend white schools.

I'll never forget when I took a course on colonial Mexico/South America and our professor gave us a sheet detailing the racial hierarchy in Mexico. It had about 25-30 terms laid out like arithmetic, e.g. criollo + mestizo= ... Most of the terms I had never seen used to describe racial differences (coyote :confused:) not to mention, how the hell do you even keep track of all those terms?

Never underestimate humans' desire to feel superior, I guess :(

Acrophyte fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 16, 2013

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

The Warszawa posted:

Welcome to casta. You have to give the Spanish credit, they did what the Anglo tradition never had the balls to do (even if it did it de facto): literally and explicitly turned race into a caste system.

The arithmetic aspect got me thinking...

Juan's mother is a peninsulare, his father is mestizo. What race will Juan's wife have to be if he expects his offspring to be of equal or greater social rank to him?

A.) Criollo
B.) Mestizo
C.) Peninsulare
D.) Not possible, only peasants marry down

Spain: Our racism can be expressed by inequalities! :pseudo:

Acrophyte fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 16, 2013

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

The Warszawa posted:

Ooh, ooh: Juan is a castizo, and by marrying a peninsular, his child will be considered a criollo.

:getin:

JohnClark posted:

When I first heard of Poe's law I scoffed, confident that surely I could tell real crazy from fake.

My faith in that particular ability has been completely obliterated. How on Earth was that article submitted with a straight face?

I've remembered it for a reason...

Acrophyte fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Kid Fenris posted:

Ah yes, Charlotte Allen, best known for blaming the Newtown shooting on a lack of male teachers and buckets.

Oh god, you're right. Why does this woman have access to a national platform, again?

• Locked thread