Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Fulchrum posted:

Can it not just be because he's good at what he does, and his race doesn't factor into it?

No, thanks to institutional and interpersonal racism. In a racist society, race is pretty much always a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Amarkov posted:

I remember that one of the appeals judges for California Prop 8 was gay, and everyone was worried about how he could possibly render an objective decision about gay marriage.

The district judge, Vaughn Walker. Largely conservative, law & econ judge, Bush I appointee. Literally the least controversial profile possible in the district courts.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Radbot posted:

Some people view people that have a vested interest in the topic at hand as not able to be completely impartial about it. It's extremely dumb in this circumstance, but it does happen. People that hate on white anti-racist advocates or straight/cis LGBT allies are the people who make the SJ movement look loving dumb and alienating to outsiders.

The thing is, there's a difference between hating on allies and not wanting non-group members to co-opt the group or dictate conduct, especially not by conditioning allyship on running the show. Wise isn't doing that, but it happens enough in large and small scale projects to be a serious problem.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Every time someone brings up IQ testing and race, they should be forced to stare at that Tom the Dancing Bug cartoon for an hour, minimum.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Emden posted:

No one is trying to write off all immigrants as failures. It's just that the hispanic immigrants that want to settle in our country have lower IQs as an entire group. This doesn't mean they are automatically failures, but rather that they will probably not be as successful as other groups.

Here's the thing, again: for all the "political correctness gone mad, Stu," poo poo, this is an example of someone literally getting a Harvard PhD for this poo poo, which is the antithesis of political correctness having anything to do with it.

Emden posted:

To be fair, there are a lot of taboo subjects which one could easily see as "political correctness". I won't go into details but try to critique a minority -- racial, religious, etc. -- on any subject and you'll see what I mean. Of course if it's white, Christian, or anything `mainstream` you can say whatever you want. Academia could do with some conservative voices imo.

When white people are systematically oppressed for the color of their skin as opposed to possessing nearly all of the structural power and wealth in the American political correctness, we should probably start worrying about how what we say enforces that oppression.

It is funny though, considering how overwhelmingly white, male, and "mainstream" academia is by demographic, that we're so worried about it.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Well, leave it to noted "race realist" Andrew Sullivan to defend Jason Richwine.

quote:

Race And IQ. Again.
MAY 14 2013 @ 9:19PM
[Re-posted from earlier today.]

I should know better than to bring this up again. But the effective firing of a researcher, Heritage’s Jason Richwine, because of his Harvard dissertation should immediately send up red flags about intellectual freedom. I am not defending the Heritage report on immigration because I think it’s a loaded piece of agitprop. And I am emphatically not defending everything that Richwine has said and done (not least his disturbing willingness to be published in white supremacist magazines).

What I do want to insist is that the premise behind almost all the attacks – that there is no empirical evidence of IQ differences between broad racial categories – is not true. It is true (pdf), if you accept the broad racial categories Americans use as shorthand for a bewilderingly complex DNA salad (a big if, of course). There’s no serious debate about that. The serious debate is about what importance to assign to the concept of “IQ” and about the possible reasons for the enduring discrepancies: environment, nurture, culture, or genes – or some variation of them all?

For my part, I’ve come to doubt the existence of something called “g” or general intelligence, as the research has gathered over the years. I believe IQ is an artificial construct created to predict how well a random person is likely to do in an advanced post-industrial society. And that’s all it is. It certainly shouldn’t be conflated with some Platonic idea of “intelligence.” I don’t think it carries any moral weight at all, either, and I don’t think it should be used in any way in immigration policy. In fact, any public policy that rests on this kind of data is anathema to me. It’s far too close to eugenics, and to the morally repugnant idea that smarter people are somehow better in any meaningful sense.

But Richwine’s dissertation was mainly a quant-job. He comes across in this Byron York interview as a bit clueless – suspiciously so, I’d say – in extrapolating policy conclusions from IQ data in the context of immigration. But the core point about any dissertation is a simple one: does it hold up under scholarly scrutiny? Richard Zeckhauser, the Frank P. Ramsey Professor of Political Economy at Harvard, is on record as saying that “Jason’s empirical work was careful. Moreover, my view is that none of his advisors would have accepted his thesis had he thought that his empirical work was tilted or in error.” One of those advisors was the very serious and very liberal scholar Christopher Jencks.

I haven’t had time to read the thing, and some have cast aspersions on it after a browse. But it is abhorrent to tar someone researching data as a racist and hound him out of a job simply because of his results, honestly discovered and analyzed. One particularly disturbing statement came from 23 separate student groups at Harvard:

Central to his claim is the idea that certain groups are genetically predisposed to be more intelligent than others. In his troubling worldview Asians are generally at the top, with whites in the middle, Hispanics follow, and African Americans at the bottom. To justify his assertions he cites largely discredited sources such as J. Philippe Rushton whose work enshrines the idea that there are genetically-rooted differences in cognitive ability between racial groups.
We condemn in unequivocal terms these racist claims as unfit for Harvard Kennedy School and Harvard University as a whole. Granting permission for such a dissertation to be published debases all of our degrees and hurts the University’s reputation … Even if such claims had merit, the Kennedy School cannot ethically stand by this dissertation whose end result can only be furthering discrimination under the guise of academic discourse.

My italics. They are, of course, caricaturing the argument – I know of no scholar who believes that genes are entirely responsible for the racial differences. Here’s another caricature of it:

Human beings have not existed long enough to be divided into separate and distinct racial “species.”

Of course not. We remain the same species, just as a poodle and a beagle are of the same species. But poodles, in general, are smarter than beagles, and beagles have a much better sense of smell. We bred those traits into them, of course, fast-forwarding evolution. But the idea that natural selection and environmental adaptation stopped among human beings the minute we emerged in the planet 200,000 years ago – and that there are no genetic markers for geographical origin or destination – is bizarre. It would be deeply strange if Homo sapiens were the only species on earth that did not adapt to different climates, diseases, landscapes, and experiences over hundreds of millennia. We see such adaptation happening very quickly in the animal kingdom. Our skin color alone – clearly a genetic adaptation to climate – is, well, right in front of one’s nose.

But what the Harvard students are saying is worse than creating a straw man. They are saying that even if it is true that there are resilient differences in IQ in broad racial groupings, such things should not be studied at Harvard because their “end result can only be furthering discrimination.” You can’t have a more explicit attack on intellectual freedom than that. They even seem to want the PhD to be withdrawn.

Freddie deBoer and Reihan Salam have two good posts about this. Freddie:

Racism thrives on conspiratorial thinking and the self-definition of racists as an oppressed group. When you say things that are true aren’t, and especially when you do so in a way that treats the other point of view as forbidden, you play directly into their hands. I cannot imagine an easier way to give them fuel for their argument than to say that certain test results don’t exist when they do.

That’s my view in a nutshell. What on earth are these “liberals” so terrified of, if not the truth? Instead of going on racist witch-hunts, why don’t they question what IQ means, how great the cultural and environmental impact can be (very considerable), whether such tests should guide public policy at all, or examine how “race” as a social construct does not always correlate to specific variations in human DNA. Note how the terms “race” and “historical ethnicity” are not the same things, as Reihan does. Or do what the scholar Dana Goldstein has done – criticize Richwine’s dismissal of education and poverty as factors affecting IQ in his dissertation.

But please don’t say truly stupid things like race has no biological element to it or that there is no data on racial differences in IQ (even though those differences are mild compared with overwhelming similarity). Denying empirical reality is not a good thing in any circumstance. In a university context, it is an embrace of illiberalism at its most pernicious and seductive: because its motives are good.

"What are liberals afraid of?" Uh, I don't know, Sully, drawing specious conclusions to justify racist policy by cloaking them in "Yeah Mr. White, yeah Science!"? See, e.g., the last 200 years or so.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Vorpal Cat posted:

So what are the odds Mr Richwine even bothered trying to correct his data for poverty, cultural differences, systematic discrimination or any of the other dozens of variables which could effect IQ scores in minority populations before trying to to tie it to racial "differences". I know I wouldn't bet on it.

Oh, it gets better: trying to segregate "Hispanic immigrants" as a separate "race" is loving hilarious, considering that the Hispanic "race" dates to around the time white America realized that Mexican light-skinned mestizos, criollos, and peninsulares might attend white schools.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Acrophyte posted:

I'll never forget when I took a course on colonial Mexico/South America and our professor gave us a sheet detailing the racial hierarchy in Mexico. It had about 25-30 terms laid out like arithmetic, e.g. criollo + mestizo= ... Most of the terms I had never seen used to describe racial differences (coyote :confused:) not to mention, how the hell do you even keep track of all those terms?

Never underestimate human's desire to feel superior, I guess :(

Welcome to casta. You have to give the Spanish credit, they did what the Anglo tradition never had the balls to do (even if it did it de facto): literally and explicitly turned race into a caste system.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Acrophyte posted:

The arithmetic aspect got me thinking...

Juan's mother is a peninsulare, his father is mestizo. What race will Juan's wife have to be if he expects his offspring to be of equal or greater social rank to him?

A.) Criollo
B.) Mestizo
C.) Peninsulare
D.) Not possible, only peasants marry down

Spain: Our racism can be expressed by inequalities! :pseudo:

Ooh, ooh: Juan is a castizo, and by marrying a peninsular, his child will be considered a criollo.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

joepinetree posted:

The best part of Sullivan writing on this topic is his follow up. He points to a piece by Ron Unz, where Unz strongly criticizes Richwine for completely ignoring the bulk of the research that would disprove or at least seriously damage Richwine's dissertation. Then Sullivan says that that is what should be done, instead of crying "racism." But Unz's article is perhaps the best evidence that Richwine is a racist piece of crap, but Sullivan of course ignores that much.

In a development that shocks no one, "race realist" Andrew Sullivan believes that calling someone a racist is worse than being a racist, and that being called a racist is worse than having racism done against you, even if it comes with a Harvard seal of approval.

Ta-Nehisi Coates makes the best response, though, without my tendency to be such an angry cholo about it: "Forget what you mean by intelligence, what the gently caress do you mean by race?"

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Autumncomet posted:

Is this the real answer? :stare:

I missed this one, but yes, precariously. It depends on how dark you are, who is the mother and who is the father, and how much someone wants to delegitimize you by making you a racial other.

Spanish casta is insanely hosed up.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Fandyien posted:

I know I posted something odious from this newspaper yesterday too but this featured editorial really chapped my caboose today. Here is a black man hating the idea of "diversity", and then somehow claiming diversity is responsible for wind farms.

Liberals who love diversity, don't you understand liberals are racists and you're responsible for bird genocide? Also, like many white nationalists, this guy recognizes the strength of homogeneity in Japan and that it obviously has never caused them any problems. :japan:

Diversity is, however, the dumbest rationale for supporting race-conscious affirmative action, since it predicates the justification of the policy on its benefits to white people (though diversity supposedly benefits all, Grutter is only concerned with critical mass of people of color and not, for example, white critical mass and the rest of the spots going to people of color) and that opens it up to the balancing between "benefits of diversity" and "costs to whites incurred by affirmative action."

Still a bad article though.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Pixelboy posted:

Isn't there some sort of character litmus test for passing the bar?

Wouldn't a printout or two of this kibosh anything like that?

Law school is filled with the most FYGM, "reverse racism is totally a thing" assholes you can possibly imagine. It gets exponentially worse the higher up the U.S. News rankings you go.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Nice Davis posted:

Thank goodness my alma mater had an admissions scandal that dropped us 15 spots :buddy: Those kids are getting nicer by the year!

To be fair, I misstated it. The further up you go, the worse some get, and the more likely it becomes that the "left" is composed entirely of rich white kids from Scarsdale who are totally into telling people of color what their priorities should be.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Fulchrum posted:

This just in, Lawyers are assholes. For more on this story, we turn to every hack comic from the last 90 years.

Nah, this isn't even the case. Several Supreme Court Justices are straight up the nicest people you will ever meet, for example. It's just that they're an incredibly small fraction of law students.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'm fairly disappointed in Coates, who I have respected as an activist, getting on the Suey Park train. Park is an absolutely horrible, irredeemable person with a prove track record of prioritizing self-promotion over real activism. I think there is a tendency to reflexively support activists of color who are on the receiving end of racist hate, but the problem here is that while Suey Park deserves none of the racist hate she's getting, that doesn't undermine the legitimate criticism of her actions. She is 100% deserving of the non-racist criticism she's gotten and by simply responding to the racist stuff she's painting all of her detractors with the same brush, which conveniently obviates her responsibility to address legitimate beef people have with her campaign.

Just because assholes are criticizing you doesn't make you right, or make all of your opponents wrong. Otherwise I could spend five minutes on the Assata Shakur forums and permanently undermine the arguments of every Black activist in America.

Can you link to this? I can't find anything in his Atlantic archive about it but that doesn't mean he didn't mention it. He has spent most of the last week or so schooling the gently caress out of Chait, though.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
It also seems like your mom's position is that with the easy availability of junk food, programs aimed at providing healthy alternatives are wasteful, which doesn't seem like the right-wing line. I may be misinterpreting though.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
CNN tackles the question of our times: can the Klan rebrand?

quote:

(CNN) -- Pointy hats, white robes, crosses burning, bodies hanging from trees.

The images of the Ku Klux Klan are reminders of the nation's ugliest moments from the Civil War through the struggle for racial equality in the 1960s.

Last Sunday, the world was confronted with another image of the Klan: 73-year-old Frazier Glenn Cross, a white supremacist and avowed anti-Semite, in the back of a police car, spitting, "Heil Hitler!"

When his alleged rampage at two Jewish institutions in suburban Kansas City, Kansas, was over, three people were shot dead -- a teenage boy and his grandfather along with a woman who worked with visually impaired children.

A member of the Confederate White Knights speaks during a rally at the Antietam National Battlefield September 7, 2013 near Sharpsburg, Maryland. T

A member of the Confederate White Knights speaks during a rally at the Antietam National Battlefield September 7, 2013 near Sharpsburg, Maryland. T

The carnage was devastating to many. Imperial Wizard Frank Ancona was upset, too.

"What this guy just did set back everything I've been trying to do for years," said Ancona, who leads the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.

CNN tracked Ancona down on Twitter, where he has 840 followers, after he and other self-professed hate group leaders denounced the shootings in interviews with USA Today and CNN affiliate WDAF in Kansas City, Missouri.

"I believe in racial separation but it doesn't have to be violent," he told CNN. "People in the Klan are professional people, business people, working types. We are a legitimate organization."

Cross, who founded the Carolina Knights of the KKK in the 1980s, went "rogue," Ancona said.

Charged with capital murder and first-degree premeditated murder, Cross did not enter a plea at his first court appearance. He requested a court appointed attorney and is scheduled to be back in court later this month.

New way for the KKK?

Ancona, who lives in Missouri, insists there's a new Klan for modern times -- a Klan that's "about educating people to our ideas and getting people to see our point of view to ... help change things."

He said he and those like him can spread that message without violence -- a sort of rebranding of the Klan.

The idea may sound absurd, but is it conceivable?

No, say top marketing experts, brand gurus and historians -- and for many reasons.

The Klan could change its name, get a smooth-talking spokesperson, replace the robes with suits and take off those ridiculous hats, but underneath, people would recognize its message is the same.

"They stand for hatred; they always have," said Atlanta-based brand consultant Laura Ries. "Maybe they don't believe in shooting up a center for Jewish people, but they still support beliefs that are beyond the scope of understanding for most people and certainly the freedom and equality our country believes in."

Other experts raised the question: If the Klan isn't violent, what's the point?

"What would you be left with? Benign racism?" asked Jelani Cobb, director of the Africana Studies Institute at the University of Connecticut.

The victims of the shooting rampage, Cobb noted, were not Jewish. One was Catholic and two were Methodist.

"In the most basic sense, the fact that the people who were killed were not Jews drives home Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s point that injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere," he said. "It's the most horrible metaphor for the fact that we are all impacted by the legacy of hate, even when it's not specifically directed at the group to which we belong."

Even if the modern KKK at large distances itself from this supposedly "rogue" element, Cobb said, that doesn't make up for the group's past.

"Violence and racial intimidation were the KKK's raison d'etre. They're not simply a controversial civic organization. If in fact they reject violence, the only honest way of establishing that would be to do restorative work for the incredible damage their history of violence has already done," he said. "No sensible person is going to wait around for that to happen."

Disorganized discrimination

From a sheer marketing perspective, the lack of central leadership poses more problems for the KKK if it's serious about revamping its image. Just look at the Catholic Church, Ries said.

"The KKK doesn't have a Pope. Look at what that guy has done. You have to have a leader like that to make people believe a change has happened," she said.

Without a clear leader, marketing experts said, crafting and conveying a spin-friendly message is impossible.

That was evident the minute members of the "new" Klan denounced the shootings. Soon after Ancona spoke to reporters, other self-described "real" Klansmen began attacking him online for not adhering to authentic Klan doctrine.

"This movement is a hodgepodge of little groups that, as often as they attack their enemies, attack one another," said Mark Potok, a spokesman for the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate groups.

He estimates there are about 8,000 KKK members nationwide.

"To call these guys disorganized," he said, "doesn't quite do it."

Potok pointed to a 2013 rally in Memphis, Tennessee, that drew about 75 Klan members. They arrived in their typical get-up to protest the city's move to rename three city parks that honored Confederate leaders.

Then it got confusing and weird.

Another group of Klansmen showed up to protest the first Klan group, according to Potok and a local media report.

The second Klan group claimed to be about nonviolence and actually teamed with a black Crips street gang. The second group of Klansmen wanted people to know they were the real deal, the ones everyone should listen to, Potok recounted.

Bullhorns apparently belonging to the first KKK group died shortly after their gathering began. Memphis' Commercial Appeal reported that their chants of "white power" were barely audible over the approximately 1,000 folks who showed up to protest racial intolerance.

A Klansman with a Twitter account

Potok doesn't put much weight in the Klan's condemnation of the Jewish center shootings, because it's not the first time hate groups have done that. They did it after the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing orchestrated by militia sympathizer Timothy McVeigh and after a white supremacist killed six people at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin in 2012, he said.

"There's a method to doing that. By publicly saying, 'Oh, not us; we don't do that,' they think they're protecting themselves against law enforcement zeroing in on them or from us suing them," Potok said. "That doesn't work, but they believe that."

In the early 1980s, Morris Dees, SPLC's co-founder and chief trial counsel, began using courts to secure monetary damages against hate groups. Courts then seized the groups' assets. By 1991, many had gone into bankruptcy.

In 1981, Dees successfully sued the KKK and won a $7 million judgment for the mother of Michael Donald, a black lynching victim in Alabama. The judgment bankrupted the United Klans of America, which had to sell its national headquarters to help pay it off.

In the early 1980s, while operating the Carolina Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, Cross eschewed white robes for fatigues and recruited active-duty soldiers as members.

According to the Anti-Defamation League, which released a summary of its files on Cross this week, the group "drew notoriety for its paramilitary training exercises" and carried out attacks on African-Americans.

The SPLC sued Cross for operating an illegal paramilitary organization and for intimidating African-Americans. The two sides settled, with the Knights barred from operating.

But a month later, Cross resurfaced with an offshoot: the White Patriot Party.

Ancona, the imperial wizard, is aware of that history and said he thought it might be helpful if he and Potok had a conversation.

Throughout CNN's interview, Ancona was cordial and repeatedly said he wanted to speak with media about the Klan's message. He won't be able to divulge too many operational details of his group, he said, because fraternal rites and rituals bar him from discussing exactly what they do.

Ancona explained that he's in his second four-year term as imperial wizard, elected by state Klan group's leaders, known as grand dragons. To get their message out, the Traditionalist Knights of the KKK wear their usual attire and stand on roadsides handing out flyers.

They also have a Web page, and they use Twitter and occasionally LinkedIn, where Ancona promotes "working together as a team and a unit" to "strive to increase awareness of the destruction of our constitutional rights and the plight of the White race in America."

"Facebook keeps deleting my posts," he said.

Ancona's branch of the KKK has a toll-free hotline that asks callers to press 1 if they would like an information packet, 2 for media inquiries, or 3 to talk to a member of the organization.
An outgoing voice mail explains the group is "unapologetically committed to the interests and values of the white race. We are determined to maintain and enrich our cultural and racial heritage. White people will simply not buy the equality propaganda anymore and have begun to doubt some of the anti-Klan hysteria that they have been fed in school and from TV and movies."

Rhetoric and reaction

Dan Hill, a marketing expert who specializes in how consumers react emotionally to advertisements, said there can probably never be a Klan rebranding.

"Disney is happiness. Nike is you're proud you ran the race. The Ayran Brotherhood -- that's somewhere on the spectrum of rage and outrage," he said. "We are talking about an emotion that leads to violence. If you use that rhetoric, you can't say you didn't expect that kind of reaction."

That's a lesson history keeps trying to teach.

"The Klan has always been about wolves in sheep's clothing," said John Rowley, president of advertising agency and crisis management firm Fletcher Rowley in Nashville. "Hate groups have never had on their business cards the n-word or some sort of overt act of violence. They've always tried to appear a little more inclusive and less threatening, so it's not surprising that they're saying they are against this shooting."

Rowley's firm has worked on more than 500 political campaigns for Democrats in 46 states, including the 1991 election of Edwin Edwards for governor of Louisiana. The election made national headlines because Edwin's opponent, former KKK leader David Duke, made an unexpectedly strong showing.

"Duke was a master of rhetoric to seem like a well-mannered candidate on the outside when he was a zealot on the inside," said Rowley.
There were several factors that contributed to Duke's loss, but when it comes to groups like the KKK, Rowley said, speaking as an ad man, even the "best spin must be grounded in reality."

"Their core mission violates American core values right now," he said. "We don't believe in discrimination. You can't just put a nice wrapper on that with the right words and a rebranding campaign.

Or to compare it to a product, "if you have a car that is killing people because the gas tank is exploding, it doesn't matter how fantastic the ad campaign is for that car."

CNN's Phil Gast contributed to this report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Do Supreme Court opinions count as terrible opinion pieces because boy was today a doozy!

• Locked thread