Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Terror Sweat posted:

The taxes don't get raised all at once. They get raised over 10 years, I presume.

Except no Congress can bind the actions of a future Congress, so even if this passes, it'll just get rewritten or repealed later when Congress decides jobs aren't important anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Because we have so many government benefits for the poor they have no incentive to try and find work. You see, often getting a job would amount to a cut in pay and furthermore, :suicide:

Sadly, this is actually true in some places, as there are state level benefits that will cut off at stupidly low levels of income, like states that cut off Medicaid if you have $2000 in assets.

There are 33 states that set the Medicaid income cap at under 100% of FPL, 15 at under 50%, and 2 at under 25%. FPL for a family of 3 was 18,310 in 2010. To be eligible for Medicaid in Arkansas, that family's income would have to be under $3112. (That's 429 hours at minimum wage - if you work 9 hours a week, you're over.)

(It looks like most states at least set the CHIP level at 100% of FPL, so kids can still be covered, but gently caress adults, I guess.)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Toffile posted:

Harper was already kinda famous before a reporter asked a devout Mormon about if he was going to drink.

It's a very rare occurrence in baseball to see a player make the jump that quickly and there was a ton of hype surrounding him as a result.

I don't even think the question had anything to do with him being Mormon, either, but was really about the fact the Nationals were playing in Canada where the drinking age is lower. (I didn't even know Bryce was Mormon.)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

SquadronROE posted:

Here's a fun piece that's been making the rounds on the Facebook recently, and always gets my rage gland working quite well.

There's so much ignorance here I don't even really know where to start, but mostly it's just the underlying thought that criminals should forfeit human rights and dignity when they commit a crime. Instead of trying to understand why people commit crimes and addressing it as a problem, people want to double down on believing people are simply evil and must be punished.

Hell, if you want a really simple argument against Joe Arpaio, it's that his office has paid out $43 million dollars in settlements.

If you want to :argh: CUT SPENDING :argh: then maybe a sheriff that gets constantly sued for killing people isn't the way to go.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I used to think Quora was interesting, but it's basically just a bunch of 20-something internet millionaires (or weird prodigies) patting each other on the back repeatedly.

"What is some good career advice for someone just finishing college?" "As a 22-year-old CEO, let me just say..."
"How should I save for retirement?" "As someone who just sold his third company, I've got some information..."
"Where should I go to grad school?" "After going to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and MIT, I can say..."

Every once in a while, there's an interesting little tidbit, but it's mostly terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

gently caress, I'm an adult and all I did during the blizzard was stay inside and play video games.

• Locked thread