Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Also the fact that those comments about Caesar were incorrect as gently caress. Yes Caesar was safe after returning to Rome and he did not wipe out the Gauls.

You know you're a history nerd when you read that kind of thing and what really upsets you is the conflating of Augustus and Julius as well as the glossing over of years of horrible civil war.

God damnit fascists, I expect better of you than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

I, unfortunately, saw this article for a second time on Cracked (oh sush I only read it on occasion) and once again it is not exactly a very good argument for the current state of things, despite what it thinks about itself:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/

It really is just terribly written and poorly thought out.

I get the impression we're reading the expanded version of the pep talk this dude gave himself in the mirror every morning for years. The really sad part is that the self loathing part of his philosophy is completely unnecessary to success but having inflicted it on himself for years he seems to view it as integral.

The entire thing could be reduced to "do something you like, get better at it and feel good about it" but he's decided to package it with so much bile that it can only speak to broken people who are convinced of their own worthlessness.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Nick_326 posted:

Won't someone please think of us poor white people??

I'm not so sure about poor white people, but someone in the Star Tribune was thinking of rich white people if it makes you feel any better:

David Lebedoff in 'Turns out my father knew best' posted:

One of the reasons for the wild popularity of the television series “Mad Men” was that it portrayed in sublime detail the brief period in which America was fun for many people and not quite so politically correct. We can shrug at the cigarettes, booze and sexism; we know better now. Some secretly may covet one or another of those vices, but the remarkable sight is of prosperous white people enjoying themselves without fear of scorn.

All ages have some form of conventional wisdom, but in the “Mad Men” era, a lot of life was laissez-faire. The young president of the United States shared some of their diversions, but the public didn’t need to know. What a time that was.

Predictably the rest of the article quickly veers off into good old days worship and how his dad was really clever to ignore everything he ever heard that he disagreed with. Sadly he doesn't say anything else quite so jaw-droppingly terrible.

I don't get how Mad Men goes so far over peoples heads. It's as much an endorsement of its era as Breaking Bad is a fun story of two drug dealers who make it big. Yes if you ignore the sexism, the insecurity, the miserable people and the grim reality behind the facade it looks great but uh... do you just turn off the show after the intro?

• Locked thread