Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
"Use Non Appealable Conditions of Release Orders of Prior Restraint to Silence the Voice of Those Who Challenge Local "Open Border Policy.""

Why is this capitalized as if it's the title of something?

Is this a bunch of paranoid rambling or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
How does he plan to identify those in need of a tattoo if he doesn't want widespread testing? No one's going to get tested at all until they KNOW they're sick, in that case, in which case it's too late, and they've probably infected someone.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Spurious George Washington quote, too.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

Tiffany Thompson got her wish: Demetrius Murphy met the “Right Person” and he will not be playing the Knockout Game any more. Ever.

A St. Louis homeowner shot Murphy dead late last week during a burglary. And a whole lot of people in St. Louis feel relieved, if not safer.
Ads by Google

Murphy was a member of a group that is credited with making the Knockout Game a St. Louis tradition, then a national pasttime.

The rules of the Knockout Game are simple: Begin with a bunch of black people. Anywhere from three to 30.

Find a white person, but an Asian will do. Alone is important. Older is better. Weak and defenseless even more so.

Without warning, punch that person in the face as hard as you can. You win if you score a Knockout.

If not, keep punching until your arms and legs get too tired to continue. Or the person dies.

You can play anywhere, but “vibrant and culturally mixed” neighborhoods are probably the best. That is where the victims are: Asians, “gays,” artists, yuppies, seniors , college students – people who won’t fight back.

Over the last two years, hundreds of people around the country have become victims. Some say over 100 in St. Louis alone. Some died. Others, like Murphy’s victim Matt Quain, suffered broken bones in his face and jaw.

Last week, four members of the national Championship Alabama football team were arrested after three played the game two times, and the fourth tried to use a debit card taken during the attacks.

Many of these cases of black mob violence are documented in the book “White Girl Bleed a Lot: The return racial violence and how the media ignore it.”

Murphy and his friends were arrested in November 2011 when police found a 13-year-old girl who witnessed the Knockout Game assault on Quain. The charges were dismissed after she failed to show up. The mayor of St. Louis said there was no doubt in his mind the witness was intimidated and too frightened to testify. The mother of the witness said the same several months later.
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/02/knockout-game-perp-shot-killed/#bUPDRyETzu1D64zs.99

Without trying, I found this:
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...1a4bcf6878.html

Most legit articles on the subject are mute on the attackers' race, but it does seem that WND has gotten the rules of the game wrong.

I found this linked from here:
http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/knockout-game-perp-shot-killed/question-3534665/

I get a very A Wyatt Mann vibe from these folks.

edit: Guys, I think your dog whistles are broken
http://www.wnd.com/2012/05/boredom-proves-to-be-trigger-for-flash-mobs/

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 20, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Izzat the News Miner?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
In response to a discussion about the Democrat-Republican racist migration in a thread:

http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/calling-all-good-and-decent-black-people/question-3541299/?page=1&new=1&scroll=1#post_104358735:

...about this:

http://www.wnd.com/2013/02/now-medi...s-moment/192752

...someone posted this:

quote:

Oh, poo. Our country is getting better over time. Speaking for myself, a fiscal conservative, my family and all my friends we believe that people are people and color should not have anything to do with anything. Never ever, not once, did I consider my race when deciding on a place to work, a college to attend, a career or a place to call home, and neither should anyone else.

I swear, I heard a choir of angels as I read this. It is glorious.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://www.sodahead.com/united-stat...page=2#comments

This opens with some poo poo that didn't happen, but quickly descends into racism, both overt and dog whistle.

quote:

I was standing in line for a ride at 6 flags with my 6 year old Grand Daughter where 2 black 17 year old males, standing in front of us, were talking and every other word out of their mouths was mother F@ck this and mother F@ck that.
When I told them to watch their language because there were a lot of young children around - one of them told me to shove it up my white rear end. I punched him once and knocked him out.
Do you think it was fair that I got arrested?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
All this talk of anti-gay sentiment in sports reminded me of something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKE02ezfuwo

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
It's gender confusion that has frayed the institution of marriage, not economic chaos.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

All it takes is the desire to do it. It is a lie that it cannot be done quickly, easily, effectively and economically.

I patrolled the East German and Czechoslovakia borders during the cold war. There were only 3 barbed wire fences along most of the borders. Of course there were plowed strips and mine feilds between those fences but the occurances of unauthorized border crossings were extremely rare. Mexicans are not nearly as oppressed as the ones that were being enslaved by communist dictators. Instead of the lure of food stamps, free healthcare, school and other liberal bribes to come into the USA, those people behind the iron curtain had no freedom. They had more incentive to flee than Mexicans but there was a mechanism in place to deter it. We could do the same here. There is not the courage in congress to do it.

Those commies sure knew how to secure a border.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dr. Tough posted:

This is probably one of the cruelest things I've ever read. It was also only printed this week, so I don't know if this person is just late to the party, or if the whole assault weapons thing has caused them to become truly unhinged.

It's the author of Galatianman.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Loughner opened fire on Giffords from close range, as well as numerous bystanders,[61][62][63] killing six people. Thirteen other people were injured by gunfire, and one person was injured while fleeing the scene of the shooting.[64] Giffords, the apparent target of the attack,[3] was shot in the head and critically injured.[65]

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
God drat, he should have kept the moustache.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Not sure where else to bring this gem. Several candidate threads, this is as good as any. Just a post of a fox news article, but the comments thus far :gonk:

quote:

St. Skittles Parents Cash In: Settle Wrongful Death Lawsuit For More Than $1 Million…

I wonder if they’ll kick a few bucks to Al Sharpton and his racist shakedown racket as tribute.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/05/travyon-martin-parents-settle-wrongful-death-claim/

quote:

A Capp 16 minutes ago
Add
St. Skittles........ priceless.

And it should be noted that he didn't purchase an "iced tea", rather a watermelon juice drink, that when mixed with Skittles and Robitussin cough syrup produces a concoction refereed to in the rap culture world as "Drank", or "Lean".

If this thread has any traction, it's gonna be a real winner.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Badger of Basra posted:

Andrew Sullivan, Moron.

Government-run hospitals?!?!?!?

quote:

I was a teenage Thatcherite, an uber-politics nerd who loved her for her utter lack of apology for who she was.

He admired her purity.

edit:

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 9, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Start off bitching about "liberals." Then start bitching about "liberal progressives." Soon, "liberal" means the same thing as "progressive." Then make it "far left liberal progressives" enough times and any part of that will substitute for the whole. Sure there are some people who are all three. But most aren't.

Same thing with "criminal illegal alien." Now, ALL illegal aliens are criminals. Of course, there's "what part of illegal don't you understand?" But the response to that is to explain the parts of "illegal" that the speaker doesn't understand.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://www.sodahead.com/united-stat...estion-3629371/

quote:

OBAMA IS F*CKING ALL OF US OVER ! Illegal alien migration into the United States costs American taxpayers $346 billion annually reported by the "National Research Council" THAT'S OVER 50% OF THE $600 BILLION SEQUESTER, JUST TO PAY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS !

quote:

WE ARE ALL BEING FORCED INTO A TOTAL FINANCIAL COLLAPSE OF AMERICA!
22 votes
40%

IMPEACH OBAMA AND HIS CABIENT! CHARGE THEM WITH TREASON UNDER WAR TIME CONDITIONS!
8 votes
15%

Undecided
8 votes
15%

None of the above
7 votes
13%

WE MUST STOP PAYING FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS BEFORE AMERICA IS DESTROYED
5 votes
9%

WE ARE BEING PUSHED INTO CIVIL WAR
3 votes
5%

WE ARE BEING PUSHED INTO A RACIALLY BASED CIVIL WAR
2 votes
4%

quote:

STOP CUTTING SOCIAL SECURITY !
STOP CUTTING THE MILITARY
STOP CUTTING MEDICARE FOR OUR RETIRED CITIZENS!

STOP PAYING FOR THE drat ILLEGAL ALIENS !

OBAMA IS CUTTING SOCIAL SECURITY, GROUNDING MILITARY AIRCRAFT, AND THE LIST GOES ON. MAKING IT PAINFUL ON THOSE WHO PAY TAXES OR HAVE PAID TAXES ALL THEIR LIVES.

BUT ILLEGAL ALIENS GET A TAX PAYERS FREE RIDE TO VOTE FOR OBAMA OR HELP HIM WHEN, CIVIL WAR BREAKS OUT TOO STOP OBAMA'S WICKED WAYS! THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!

BUT "NO" CUTS TO ILLEGAL ALIENS GETTING FREE FOOD STAMPS (43% OF ALL FOOD STAMPS GO TO ILLEGAL ALIENS, OR (63% OF ALL MEDICARE COSTS GO TO PAY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS)
Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties in U.S. are illegals."
FREE HARD CASH OF UP TO $4000.00 PLUS A MONTH PER FAMILY ARE PAID TO UNEMPLOYED AND UNDEREMPLOYED HOUSEHOLDS THAT HAVE ILLEGAL ALIEN LIVING THERE.

I CAN'T FRIGGING BELIEVE THIS SHEEEEET CAN YOU. AMERICAN'S SUFFER WHILE OBAMA FEEDS, CLOTHES AND PROVIDE HUD HOUSING FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS ! CALIFORNIA EVEN GIVES THEM DRIVERS LICENSES.

food stamp program will cost American taxpayers roughly $770 billion dollars, WHERE 43% OF THAT MONEY GOES TO FEED ILLEGAL ALIENS

THE $600 BILLION DOLLAR SEQUESTER WOULD BE CLEARED ! IF OUR GOVERNMENT JUST STOPPED MAKING AMERICANS PAYING FOR
ILLEGAL ALIENS

LEGAL IMMIGRATION IS NEEDED AND WELCOME, THAT IS WHAT AMERICA IS ALL ABOUT.
BUT PAYING TO FEED, CLOTHE, HOUSE, AND PROVIDE FREE MEDICAL CARE FOR ILLEGALS MUST BE STOPPED BEFORE WE FALL !
THIS IS A MATTER OF SURVIVAL FOR AMERICA!

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/jun/19/facebook-posts/facebook-post-says-more-43-percent-all-food-stamps/

quote:

And why do you think Obama has been arming Mexican thugs with fast and furious, when he's trying has hard as he can to disarm lawful Americans with LEGAL weapons at the very same time?

quote:

All of the above!!! Illegal immigrants are demanding amnesty. Really? The nerve of them, coming here illegally and then expecting a carpet to be rolled out for them. I was at a church a couple of years ago...it was not my denomination, but I have to say....the head of that church was preaching from the pulpit... saying we had to help immigrants because that was the Christian thing to do. He was totally out of line! No one man needs to teach me about God. I read the bible and I will always stand by it's words. Many liberals claim to be Christian, but yet their actions show otherwise. I believe this person is a false teacher of God's word. First of all God... tells us to follow the law. Give to Ceasar what is due to him. "Thou shalt not lie!" The illegals are living a big lie, while they are here illegally. A whole lot of them even cause fraud by stealing other people's Social Security numbers! The only real Christian thing I can do for an illegal immigrant is give him some food and a one way ticket back to where he/she came from, because we can not afford anymore illegals. Apply and do the paperwork legally........like all the other honest, honorable people have done in the past! Our government is wrong... to demand... that we not call them illegals, when that is exactly what they are!!!!!! So our government doesn't want to hurt their feelings? Obama....how about the feelings of the hard working Americans who have to sacrifice and continue to pay for criminal activity!!! Huh? Please answer that! http://newsfeed.time.com/2013...

quote:

About the same cost as his vacations, I wonder if china would lend him the money directly instead of the nation going into debt ! This creepy man is really warped. He has no concept of money because he's never tried to make it.

quote:

Our limp wristed congress won't do anything about the illegal alien at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. so why would they bother to do anything about the 14-15 million illegals that are bleeding America dry?
All good answers Daniel & difficult to pick just one. You need to add an "all of the above" to the mix ;-)

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 10, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Saw someone in another thread say something sarcastic to the effect of "Markets cannot fail, we can only fail the market," and thought "surely someone, somewhere has said this and meant it."

quote:

The Market Cannot Fail
August 15, 2010 16:36 | Comments (0) | big brother, liberty |

I came across this article by author Henry A. Giroux recently, and I found myself drawn in by the first paragraph or so, strongly agreeing with his words, and then the cracks began to show. He rails against the invective of the talking heads on television, and the mindless jingoism of the current Tea Party movement, all of which is to be applauded, but then he concludes by claiming that in light of “the most painful evidence imaginable of the failure of laissez-faire economics and the destructive force of the alliance of big business and government against the interests of ordinary Americans … the Tea Party movement wants to abolish government and expand even more the deregulated capitalism that has unsettled the lives of so many of its members.” I’m not sure how he got here from there, but I am not willing to make that leap with him. The failure of the free market is not a foregone conclusion, no matter how much the pro-regulation movement would like to believe it to be true.

My first question is, how does laissez-faire economics fail? By what criteria is the author judging it? I contend that the market cannot fail. It does exactly what it is desgined to do. You can go into Wal-Mart and not find what you’re looking for, and call that a failure of the market. But in reality, the market has provided exactly what customers want, with the constraint that those things can be provided at a profit. When you do not find what you’re shopping for, it simply means that there is not enough profit in providing that good or service.

I see two problems with this author’s assessment. First, our economy is not laissez-faire. Quite the contrary, government regulation of markets has never been more burdensome, and it gets worse on a daily basis. Here is a definition of laissez-faire:

1 : a doctrine opposing governmental interference in economic affairs beyond the minimum necessary for the maintenance of peace and property rights

2 : a philosophy or practice characterized by a usually deliberate abstention from direction or interference especially with individual freedom of choice and action

Can anyone claim that this is an accurate description of the marketplace in the United States? Hardly. Second, even if it was laissez-faire, a market that rewards only those entrepreneurs who satisfy their customers is, by definition, a success.

I completely agree with the evil collusion of corporations and government, and it is interesting to me that we can agree on something like this, and yet be so far apart on the other aspect of his statement.

How about the recent example of Apple’s tribulations with the iPhone 4 and its poor reception? Consumer Reports came down hard on Apple, claiming the problem seriously hampered the abililty of the device to function as a phone. Within days of this poor review, Apple responded with a fix (or at least a work around), to mollify its angry and disappointed customers. No government intervention was necessary. No regulatory agency stepped in. Just a well-respected free market watchdog organization, whose opinions are valued by millions of consumers. That was enough to cause many to question Apple’s reputation in the marketplace, and that potential damage to their reputation was enough to motivate them to address the issue. This incident is a perfect illustration of how the free market is self-regulating. Many might argue that this regulation is not strong enough or does not go far enough. But anything more than this places an undue burden on the market (which consumers experience as higher prices) and serves only to distort the market signals that would otherwise cause self-correction (which consumers experience as problem resolution taking longer than it should).

I am wary of anyone who looks at the major problems our economy has experienced in recent years and wants to affix blame to the market itself. How can anyone look at the sub-prime mortgage market and claim that it is laissez-faire? The mortgage industry is one of the most highly regulated areas of our economy, so you cannot blame the free market and call it a failure. The market as it is currently configured is not free, so the source of failure must be elsewhere.

With a title like that there's no doubt it's going to be excellent.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What exactly is a no-fly zone worth if the only air force you'd be concerned with has been annihilated?

The American University of Iraq articles are loving amazing/sickening, BTW.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You've inspired me to delve into my sort-of-home town paper(s), for the first time in a long time. They do not disappoint.

quote:

4/15/2013 5:59:00 AM
Letter: Basic math and biology

If there is anyone thinking, do they realize that if everyone was gay 120 years ago, nobody would exist now.

Lee Fluaitt

Kingman

quote:

4/14/2013 6:00:00 AM
Letter: U.S. needs someone like Thatcher

The article on Margaret Thatcher by national columnist Mona Charen (KDM April 9) was excellent. Ms. Thatcher was one of a kind; she did what was right for her country's well-being even against her own party's advice and some even turned against her. She had more gumption than any of our politicians today will ever have. Unlike the government we have here in the States, where our representatives only represent what is best for them and what they can benefit from.

I have heard that since we have elected a black president, and you can see how well that worked out, that it is time to elect a woman president. How lame is that kind of thinking? And I can say with confidence that that woman certainly would not be Hillary Clinton. She is as corrupt as the rest of them in as much as she is not being truthful (surprise, surprise) about our Ambassador and three other Americans killed in Benghazi, not to mention the fact that she would be to distracted wondering what room Bill was in and with whom.

What we really need is another Margaret Thatcher, male or female, who is willing to do the right thing for our country regardless of what others thought as long as it was good for the citizens that they served. And so far I have not seen that person come forward.

Sam Wise

Kingman

quote:

4/14/2013 6:00:00 AM
Letter: Common sense and knives

In light of yesterday's multiple stabbings on a Texas campus sending 14 students to the hospital, I'd like to be the first to say, it's time we make some "common sense laws" on knives.

Ban all "high capacity" knives. You don't need that many blades in one location. Include all kitchen knife blocks and racks and no more than one steak knife per person in household.

Ban all "multiple function" knives such as Swiss army knives with can openers and cork screws. Because winos love 'em and booze and blades don't mix.

Ban all Boy Scouts of America multi-bladed knives, since today's 15-year-old Boy Scouts are tomorrow's right-wing Rambos.

Ban all knives longer than 7 inches, because we all know he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.

This includes the banning of all excessively large "hunting and survival" knives. Because you're not Crocodile Dundee and this ain't the outback.

Ban all "military/assault" style knives, because lightweight materials belong on aircraft, and black and darkened steel belong in special forces.

And finally, ban all bladed purchases (including scissors, letter openers and gardening tools) without extensive background checks and medical record reviews of you and all persons in your household.

Take action now! Write or call your congressman today before another student is sent to the hospital.

Daniel Snelling

Kingman

Knives have non-violent uses, you say?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Remember: Kingman is where Timothy McVeigh lived before the bombing. It hasn't changed much.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

watt par posted:

Rest assured on all other economic topics, he's just as ill-informed.

If his idiocy is so pervasive, another example should be easy to find. Maybe then we can all share in the private laugh you're having with yourself.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Erkenntnis posted:

My school paper has your typical college republican on its editorial staff. Figured I'd share with you his most recent piece:

His brain shut off the moment Wise started saying Reagan=bad. Every incident he mentions was cited. This is my favorite:

quote:

And when Reagan made up yet another story about some “strapping young buck” buying T-bone steaks with food stamps, he didn’t specify the “buck’s” race, so if you see a black man in your mind’s eye, it’s obviously because you are the one with the problem. Why, for all you know, when Reagan said “buck,” he might have been referring to a large deer. You obviously have race on the brain!

"Buck" doesn't have any racial connota--

http://www.google.com.hk/search?q=%22buck+friend of the family%22&btnG=Search+Books&tbm=bks&tbo=1

quote:

Buck or buck friend of the family was also used during the enslavement era for a black man, especially a young strong one, and thus may connote sexuality.

quote:

His own account of his first encounter with a black man is very revealing: 'A certain enormous buck friend of the family encountered in Haiti fixed my conception of blind, furious, unreasoning rage, as manifested in the human animal to the end of my days.

quote:

Maybe Tharin wants his daughter "amalgamated," but do you want your own daughters forced into bed with a big black "buck-friend of the family"? What about it, you poor whites? Didn't he say it would be the "rich man's buck-friend of the family and the poor man's daughter?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The author also seems to have forgotten about the existence of railroads. Not hard to do if he's an American, I guess.

Also he's looking at average life expectancy without considering the effect of infant mortality. Once you got to be a robber baron, you were past the highest risk of untimely death. If you didn't die as a small child, you were probably looking at 3 score and ten.

I doubt there's a single sentence in there which isn't at least obliquely wrong if you want to put in the effort to research it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Install Gentoo posted:

In what way are you saying he did? Most people in 1912 America rarely used railroads for travel, due to living in rural areas and not having any kind of need to do so. And the fares could be quite pricy even if there was a reason to.

The wealthy didn't tend to live in rural areas. He's comparing the wealthy of 100 years ago to the poor of today.

Pope Guilty posted:

And resigning yourself to regular agony otherwise.

Most of the items on that list are either about fear that something bad might happen, or about something bad with an inevitable consequence that is worse. The impact for anyone with the least bit of empathy or experience with ANY item on that list is diminished if you spell it out. 'Course, I suspect the average Randroid would need it spelled out for them.

I'd love to see some right-wing reactions to that essay.

edit: Oh, why didn't I think of this sooner, freep, you never disappoint me by failing to disappoint me:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2776509/posts

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2718392/replies?c=27

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 30, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Dear loving god this response. Every point missed. No understanding of what everything costs.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2718392/replies?c=27

quote:

Not Being Poor
A Rebuttal to a Whiny Screed by John Scalzi

To not be poor...

...know exactly how much everything costs.

...don’t let your kids waste their lives being indoctrinated by watching TV.

...buy $800 cars because they’re cheaper than fixing a newer one.

...know regular dental care and insurance is cheaper than tooth-rotting sweets.

...take care of your home so your kid’s friends will want to come over to yours.

...don’t be ashamed of saving money or accepting handouts.

...move far away from the freeway.

...buy a month’s worth of rice for the price of one short-lived box of Raisin Bran.

...take a well-off sibling at his word when he says he doesn’t mind when you ask for help.

...buy off-brand toys.

...run a heater in only one room of the house.

...don’t have “friends” who would steal $5 off your coffee table.

...plan for your kids to have a growth spurt.

...teach your kids stealing meat from the store is wrong and unacceptable under all conditions.

...buy Goodwill underwear.

...everyone who lives with you earns their keep.

...know the difference between inexpensive shoes and cheap shoes is not price.

...teach your kids to learn despite 15-year-old textbooks and no air conditioning.

...know $8 an hour is way more than most people on the planet live on.

...know most people don’t give a drat about you no matter how much you make.

...work an overnight shift under florescent lights if need be.

...don’t give your body to a man who you would have to beg for child support.

...be grateful you have a toilet.

...stop the car to take a lamp from a stranger’s trash.

...keep your kitchen so clean you won’t have to worry whether a cockroach will skitter over the bread.

...know a GED actually makes a goddamned difference.

...don’t shop at the mall.

...marry someone whom you trust to watch your kids if you must take a job.

...call the police to bust into the apartment right next to yours if you know they are criminals.

...talk to that girl even if she’ll probably just laugh at your clothes; maybe she won’t.

...invite others for dinner, however humble.

...sweep up a sidewalk with lots of brown glass on it.

...improve your language, knowing others learn about you by the way you talk.

...earn that 35-cent raise.

...make sure library, free and cheap books fill your home.

...go find 120 soda cans to earn that last six dollars for the utility bill.

...pick up and eat that dropped mac and cheese on the floor.

...work as hard as anyone, anywhere - then leverage what you’ve earned.

...don’t be stupid.

...don’t be lazy.

...spend the six-hour wait in an emergency room with a sick child asleep on your lap talking to the cashier about payment options and plans.

...never buy anything someone else hasn’t bought first.

...pick the 10 cent ramen instead of the 12 cent ramen because that’s two extra packages for every dollar.

...teach your 14 year old to live with choices s/he makes.

...make people tired of you being grateful.

...know you’re being judged.

...buy a box of crayons and a $1 coloring book from a community center Santa.

...check the coin return slot of every soda machine you go by.

...know you can always find or make shelter.

...don’t spend that buck on a Lotto ticket.

...don’t hope the register lady will spot you the dime.

...if your child makes the same mistakes you did, and won’t listen to you beg them against doing so, let go.

...don’t ignore a cough that doesn’t go away.

...don’t lease a couch.

...failing any other options, collecting cans included, you can survive a few days without $200 waiting for your paycheck to come in.

...take four years of night classes for an Associates of Art degree.

...sleep on a lumpy futon bed.

...know where the shelter is.

...know that many people who were poor are now not because they chose not to be so.

...quit sniveling over how hard it is to stop being poor.

...use the options you have.

...at minimum, run in place.

...leave.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Adam Smith posted:

“A linen shirt … is, strictly speaking, not a necessary of life. The Greeks and Romans lived, I suppose, very comfortably though they had no linen. But in the present times, through the greater part of Europe, a creditable day-labourer would be ashamed to appear in public without a linen shirt, the want of which would be supposed to denote that disgraceful degree of poverty which, it is presumed, nobody can well fall into without extreme bad conduct.”

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Jack Gladney posted:

Tim Wise seems like he's doing that kind of thing--being a white guy talking to white people about whiteness. That doesn't seem like the same thing as taking over anti-racist activism, but just getting his foot in the door with clueless, well-meaning white people to tell them something they'd take as an attack if a black person said it.

He's immune to certain kinds of criticism (mostly bullshit, but enough to stop a lot of people listening), anything which relies on the speaker's race, or status as an out-group member.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
There's one thing the poor rarely get, and the rich rarely lack: security.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What's wrong with wanting to work at a nail salon? Why should that be looked down upon? It seems like it'd be a cool place to work for a chatty girl who's into that kind of stupid bullshit.

Well, it would be if you didn't have to be a captain of industry in order to not have every other aspect of your life ruined.

You shouldn't want to be the person who makes it possible for capitalists to be capitalists: capitalists admit this.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 8, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You're doing the same thing I was talking about.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
This lady clearly isn't the sharpest tool in the shed...but how anyone, ever, with this kind of attitude (not thinking you can give away a national cemetary plot, and wanting to give it to him; but having that sort of craving for peace) would think it would be a good idea to talk to Fox News, even a Fox affiliate, is a good idea is something that I will never comprehend.

http://joeforamerica.com/2013/05/boston-bomber-to-be-buried-at-arlington/

quote:

Boston Bomber to be buried at Arlington
Posted by Joe Wurzelbacher on May 7, 2013 in Culture, Email Featured, Religion, Veterans Affairs, Videos
5659 249 17 2573 8566

If Julie Frein has anything to say about it…
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, aka: The Islamic jihadist scumbag, aka: the dead Boston Bomber will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery if one US Air Force Veteran has her way.

Yes, you heard that right. The murdering, older brother who killed three and maimed hundreds more innocent people at the Boston Marathon, including an eight-year-old blown to bits has been offered a National Cemetery burial plot by a USAF veteran named Julie Frein. What?

You heard right – Julie Frein served two years of a four-year commitment some time ago and was discharged honorably. Well, something went very, very wrong because this biat-shiite crazy woman has made a teary-eyed request to give her burial plot bequeathed to her by America to her fellow biat-shiite crazy traveler Tamerlan Tsarnaev.

Sure, he’s an extremist killer, but that’s cool with Julie Frein, I guess. She just “wants the hate to stop…” I also guess she wasn’t paying attention when it was reported that this little fartknocker from Chechnya would have continued killing in Times Square and anywhere else he could, had he not been thwarted by Boston Authorities and subsequently ran over by his little brother accomplis.

We have a military which is Constitutionally compelled for one reason – to protect our country from foreigners who want us gone. I know there’s securing energy supplies, trade routes and keeping the free market rocking for all of us, but the bottom line is our military is for blowing up stuff and killing people. So what was Julie Fein doing in the military in the first place? I’ll tell you: It’s because of the social experiment the Armed Forces has had to endure. I for one am glad she’s no longer in the Armed Forces, but this is proof she should be put in a rubber room.

I can understand, back in the day honoring a worthy opponent. What I don’t understand and will never understand is honoring a scumbag Islamic Terrorist. Tamerlan Tsarnaev is hated and reviled by all Americans – especially this American – and just the suggestion that he receive an honorable burial plot anywhere is complete lunacy. Unless you’re a leftist or Chris Matthews. But I repeat myself.

Let’s be honest, this is a Barack Obama wet dream. There must be a chill going up the leg of The President at the prospect that this Muslim extremist, this Islamic Terrorist, this Jihadist women and children killer in the name of Allah could be buried at Arlington National Cemetery. For a man who cannot even say the words in public, an America-hating terrorist buried at the most hallowed ground in our country must be the things that Hope & Change are made of.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Yes it is. He's subliterately British now.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If my name was Joe King, and I weren't trolling, I'd call myself "Joseph."

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
PEOPLE ASK WHY I CARRY A GUN. LET ME TELL YOU.
Why I Carry a Gun:
I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government,
and because I understand what the government can do to its citizens.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating
myself for failing to be prepared..

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed,
and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the
ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves.
Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the
crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an rear end whoopin'.

....author unknown (but obviously brilliant)
A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
------------------------------

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938, and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
---- ------------- -------------

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
-----------------------------

Number of defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million. Only governments and criminals like gun-control.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:

List of 7 Results of Australian Gun-Control:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort, and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it. England had a similar experience.
You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti-gun control message to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN! SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THAT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE TO IN GUN SAFETY AND USE. SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!
IT'S A NO BRAINER! DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.

FREE PEOPLE HAVE GUNS.....SLAVES DONT!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
They are crimes that in a polite armed society would be deterred by criminals being afraid of the guns they know all good citizens are carrying.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The frequency of defensive gun use is a hotly contested topic, but no one denies they happen in significant numbers.

The problem is reports of this tend to be on sites like WND or examiner.com. It would be nice to see some actual data on it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Senior executive of the technology industry! Why, if he'd stuck to it, he might have become CEO of the technology industry, in charge of all technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Charles Krauthammer posted:

Obama’s fantasy: War’s over, if we say so
Sunday, June 2, 2013 PrintEmail Comments (26)
By:
Charles Krauthammer
“This war, like all wars, must end. That’s what history advises ...” — Barack Obama, May 23

WASHINGTON — Nice thought. But much as Obama would like to close his eyes, click his heels three times and declare the war on terror over, war is a two-way street.

That’s what history advises: Two sides to fight it, two to end it. By surrender (World War II), by armistice (Korea and Vietnam) or when the enemy simply disappears from the field (the Cold War).

Obama says enough is enough. He doesn’t want us on “a perpetual wartime footing.” Well, the Cold War lasted 45 years. The war on terror, 12 so far. By Obama’s calculus, we should have declared the Cold War over in 1958 and left the entire free world to fend for itself.

John F. Kennedy summoned the nation to the burdens of the long twilight struggle. Obama, agonizing publicly about the burdens of command (which he twice sought in election), wants out. For him and for us.

He doesn’t just want to revise and update the September 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force, which many conservatives have called for. He wants to repeal it.

He admits that the AUMF establishes the basis both in domestic and international law to conduct crucial defensive operations, such as drone strikes. Why, then, abolish the authority to do what we sometimes need to do?

Because that will make the war go away? Persuade our enemies to retire to their caves?

This is John Lennon, bumper-sticker foreign policy — Imagine World Peace. Obama pretends that the tide of war is receding. But it’s demonstrably not. It’s metastasizing to Mali, to the Algerian desert, to the North African states falling under the Muslim Brotherhood, to Yemen, to the savage civil war in Syria, now spilling over into Lebanon and destabilizing Jordan. Even Sinai, tranquil for 35 years, is descending into chaos.

It’s not war that’s receding. It’s America. Under Obama. And it is precisely in the power vacuum left behind that war is rising. Obama declares Assad must go. The same wish-as-policy fecklessness from our bystander president. Two years — and 70,000 dead — later, Obama keeps repeating the wish even as the tide of battle is altered by the new arbiters of Syria’s future — Iran, Hezbollah and Russia. Where does every party to the Syrian conflict go on bended knee? To Moscow, as Washington recedes into irrelevance.

But the ultimate expression of Obama’s Dorothy Doctrine is Guantanamo. It must close. Must, mind you.

OK. Let’s accept the dubious proposition that the Yemeni prisoners could be sent home without coming back to fight us. And that others could be convicted in court and put in U.S. prisons.

Now the rub. Obama openly admits that “even after we take these steps one issue will remain — just how to deal with those Gitmo detainees who we know have participated in dangerous plots or attacks but who cannot be prosecuted.”

Well, yes. That’s always been the problem with Gitmo. It’s not a question of geography. The issue is indefinite detention — whether at Gitmo, a Colorado supermax or St. Helena.

Can’t try ’em, can’t release ’em. Having posed the central question, what is Obama’s answer? “I am confident that this legacy problem can be resolved.”

That’s it! I kid you not. He’s had four-plus years to think this one through — and he openly admits he’s got no answer.

Because there is none. Hence the need for Gitmo. Other wars end, at which point prisoners are repatriated. But in this war, the other side has no intention of surrender or armistice. They will fight until the caliphate is established or until jihadism is as utterly defeated as fascism and communism. That’s the reason — the only reason — for the detention conundrum. There is no solution to indefinite detention when the detainees are committed to indefinite war.

Obama’s fantasies are twinned. He can no more wish the detention away than he can the war.

We were defenseless on 9/11 because, despite bin Laden’s open written declaration of war in 1996, we pretended for years that no war against us had even begun. Obama would return us to pre-9/11 defenselessness — casting Islamist terror as a law-enforcement issue and removing the legal basis for treating it as armed conflict — by pretending that the war is over.

It’s enough to make you weep.

Charles Krauthammer is a syndicated columnist.

• Locked thread